BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

EXXEL Distributions

09-01-2013, 03:16 PM   #89
Koldun
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hujan View Post
That was my original intent, but I'm hearing conflicting information regarding whether it will actually lower a ZCP car at all. I originally thought it would give me 0.5" drop relative to the stock ZCP setup, but others have indicated it won't lower a ZCP car.

Lots of conflicting info.

Edit: The photos of the LMB E90 in this thread suggest, at least to my eye, that there's at least a modest drop.
Per BMW, the Competition Package lowers the car by 10mm. Dinan lowers a non-Comp car by .5" or 12.7mm. So a Competition Package car will be lowered only 2.7mm, or about 0.11". Another way of putting it is Dinan drops the car 20% more than Competition Package.

I say keep the suspension as is. If you have a non-Comp car, the Dinan is a great option (but stupidly expensive, and if you don't care about the warranty, you can replicate it for half the cost).
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2013, 06:03 PM   #90
SilentAttack
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 E90 Jerez Black 6MT

Get the swift springs. They work great and its a near stock ride just lower
      10-16-2013, 01:08 AM   #91
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by 808MGuy View Post
If that's the case, they should not call it a street setup. Servicing that frequently make it pretty much a track setup because everytime you have to service it that means downtime for your car. Can't have a daily driver that needs to be down for at least a week to get dampers rebuilt.
It's only a recommendation to keep them in top shape or like when they were first installed on your vehicle. Manufacturers that don't recommend servicing don't mean their dampers don't ever need any service work. All dampers will degrade over time, some quicker than the other. That said, we have had customers with Ohlins R&T on 135/335i for 3-4 years and 50K+ miles and still going strong. By now, there should be a few 1M/M3 guys with over 20K+ miles on their Ohlins R&T, maybe they can chime in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z K View Post
Ohlins is 30k kilometers which is about 20k miles. It makes sense as they are higher end dampeners, the road feeling and reaction is much faster and smoother than the KW. The Ohlins is very street friendly offering comfort and performance in a sleek package but you pay the price for that in the more frequent servicing.

KW V3 is designed primarily for street use so the service intervals are longer (about 60k miles). They do not have as much road feel and smoothness as the Ohlins. No dampener I've driven sucks up bumps as well as the Ohlins. It gives you great confidence on uneven roads and on track.

How long a shock lasts also depends on the roads you drive. The more bumpy the roads, the faster the shock will wear out. Generally you will feel the degradation in shock dampening and rebound well before the shocks start to leak... if the shocks are leaking, they are blown - pushed well past the point of "worn out".
Part of the smoothness is from the monotube technology with larger piston areas and how precisely they control the spring. The other is the "Dual Flow Valve" technology that blows off on large and sharper bumps and then allows the tire to come the road surface as quickly as possible. The expanding needle technoloy(no other road going dampers currently available for the E9x M3 offer this feature that I know of) keeps the damping forces more consistent to combat damper fade when the hydraulic fluid thins out from heat.

Last edited by HP Autosport; 10-16-2013 at 01:16 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2013, 12:03 AM   #92
dans///m3
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: E93 M3

Reviving this thread. So what is the consensus? Are the Ohlins R&T as good or better in terms of comfort over stock?

I have non-EDC and would like an honest answer, from people who drive really crappy roads. Here in Toronto, roads are always under construction (no joke - like half the city has construction).

I used to have an E46 M3 which was harsh in stock form, upgraded to a set of B&G Coils and the ride got worse (way too bouncy). I was so happy to upgrade to the much more "comfy" suspension of the E9x M3s.

As this thread states. Want it lower (not much - mostly the front), but ride/handle LIKE or BETTER than stock - want it to feel just as "cushy".

It looks like it's between Dinan and Ohlins - but if I'm going to spend 3k on Ohlins, really want validation that I'm making the right choice.
      11-03-2013, 04:03 AM   #93
BimmerRob08
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3, Space Gray

Man! After reading all this, I'm doubtfull I'll even upgrade my suspension from OEM non ZCP. I don't want to blow $3k or more for it, nor want to screw up its balanced handling for the purpose of just lowering it so it looks better. Unless there is a sleeve kit that will retain handling specs or improve it and not blow that much cash, I don't see the benefits. Someone educate me if I'm wrong. Thought, maybe one of the Dinan set ups might be the way to go??

RB
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2013, 02:52 PM   #94
Denk
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerRob08 View Post
Man! After reading all this, I'm doubtfull I'll even upgrade my suspension from OEM non ZCP. I don't want to blow $3k or more for it, nor want to screw up its balanced handling for the purpose of just lowering it so it looks better. Unless there is a sleeve kit that will retain handling specs or improve it and not blow that much cash, I don't see the benefits. Someone educate me if I'm wrong. Thought, maybe one of the Dinan set ups might be the way to go??

RB
The stock suspension is a sweet piece of work. Unless you need to have that dropped look or want fine tuned performance (coilovers) there's nothing wrong with the stock suspension. If you don't want to deviate much from stock, the Dinan kits are a nice way to go.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2013, 03:33 PM   #95
BimmerRob08
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3, Space Gray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denk View Post
The stock suspension is a sweet piece of work. Unless you need to have that dropped look or want fine tuned performance (coilovers) there's nothing wrong with the stock suspension. If you don't want to deviate much from stock, the Dinan kits are a nice way to go.
I would like to get that lower look for sure and so I think Dinan Stage I would be the way to go, at least for now and maybe later add other Dinan options to get it to Stage III as an option. I think that'll be my route.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2013, 03:38 PM   #96
Denk
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerRob08 View Post
I would like to get that lower look for sure and so I think Dinan Stage I would be the way to go, at least for now and maybe later add other Dinan options to get it to Stage III as an option. I think that'll be my route.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2013, 12:49 PM   #97
W Cole
Major
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dans///m3 View Post
Reviving this thread. So what is the consensus? Are the Ohlins R&T as good or better in terms of comfort over stock?

I have non-EDC and would like an honest answer, from people who drive really crappy roads. Here in Toronto, roads are always under construction (no joke - like half the city has construction).

I used to have an E46 M3 which was harsh in stock form, upgraded to a set of B&G Coils and the ride got worse (way too bouncy). I was so happy to upgrade to the much more "comfy" suspension of the E9x M3s.

As this thread states. Want it lower (not much - mostly the front), but ride/handle LIKE or BETTER than stock - want it to feel just as "cushy".

It looks like it's between Dinan and Ohlins - but if I'm going to spend 3k on Ohlins, really want validation that I'm making the right choice.
Ohlins R&T are more comfortable than stock. They can obviously be setup much harsher though. I think the sweet spot for the street is 9-10 clicks out.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2013, 12:51 PM   #98
jbraslins
Latvian Gangstah
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3 Melbourne Red 6MT

Definitely not H&R
[SOLD] 2002 TiAg E46 M3 manual
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2013, 02:50 PM   #99
dans///m3
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: E93 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by W Cole View Post
Ohlins R&T are more comfortable than stock. They can obviously be setup much harsher though. I think the sweet spot for the street is 9-10 clicks out.
Thanks W Cole, I see you are from Cali. You guys tend to have better roads than us in Toronto, so it's hard to get a gauge on "more comfortable" - but I appreciate the response nonetheless.

Do the Ohlins ever feel "bouncy"? It was a horrible experience having bouncy coilovers on my E46 M3 - made it so I felt sick every time I went for a drive.

How much have your Ohlins settled since you put them in?
      11-05-2013, 07:07 AM   #100
IMG
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36 M3 Track car,Ess E90 M3 DD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppin Fresh View Post
Try RD Sport. To me it feels like stock (normal EDC) but lower.
+1
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2013, 12:05 PM   #101
to///m
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 CX

Garage List
2023 BMW M3 CX  [9.50]
2018 BMW X5  [0.00]
2018 Ford Raptor  [0.00]
i have the same wants as the OP.

Is there anything wrong with buying a good condition used (8k miles) set of KW sleeve springs?

I'm pretty confident the KW adjustable sleeve over kit is the best option for springs and "stock like" ride for the money

2023 BG G80 ///M3 COMP XDRIVE
Dinan CF Intake | Valvetronic SS Full Exhaust | AST Adjustable Springs | UNIT 17 Front Splitter | UNIT 17 Sideskirts | BC Forged HSC21 Wheels 20x10 et12 / 20x11 et12
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2014, 02:04 PM   #102
JoePcone
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M3

I'd love to hear from more people that have actually done the springs,bump stops and perches by Malek.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2014, 09:28 PM   #103
circuithero
Rep
Drives: 2009 e92 M3 DCT

I did maleks custom set-up but with R&D springs ...drop looks sick and the handling is on point with my EDC in the twistes....19x9.5 19x11 265/285
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2014, 08:49 PM   #104
Ra_
EuroCar Noob
United_States
Rep
Drives: MY08 E90 M3 JB

I was skeptical about altering the suspension and give up ride comfort, however heard so many great reviews on swifts spec r springs, I had to try it. I'm glad I did, because the ride comfort is unchanged, or at least not that noticeable to me. I have EDC, and e36 bumpstops. DIY install was a breeze.
      09-03-2014, 12:47 PM   #105
JoePcone
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by circuithero View Post
I did maleks custom set-up but with R&D springs ...drop looks sick and the handling is on point with my EDC in the twistes....19x9.5 19x11 265/285
How's the ride quality?
Appreciate 0