BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wash, Wax, Detail, Cosmetic Maintenance & Repairs

European Auto Source (EAS)

01-06-2008, 07:27 AM   #1
JerezBlue!
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 V8

Chrome Exhaust Tips

There MUST be an easy way to keep these as new. I mean I have seen used cars (M3s, M5s, M6s) with pristine tips!

Obviously, I understand that they will become black in between cleans but when I was told that they just get black over the years I had to post.

Please can you guys just confirm whether it is possible to keep them as they should be kept and also what the best product is to do this?

Many thanks.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2008, 07:42 AM   #2
Lil. Lucas
Interlagos FTW!
Australia
Rep
Drives: 86 E30 M3

I found NXT metal polish followed by poorboy's wheel wax on the E46 was the best way to maintain the tips. They just don't go permanently black over time..
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2008, 08:41 AM   #3
13eastie
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerezBlue! View Post
There MUST be an easy way to keep these as new. I mean I have seen used cars (M3s, M5s, M6s) with pristine tips!

Obviously, I understand that they will become black in between cleans but when I was told that they just get black over the years I had to post.

Please can you guys just confirm whether it is possible to keep them as they should be kept and also what the best product is to do this?

Many thanks.
+1

Well-timed post. Pootling around the nice, clean roads in London is one thing, but a the holiday period tearing around the salty, winter roads up North has wreaked havoc on my tips... Advice much appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2008, 08:51 AM   #4
Lil. Lucas
Interlagos FTW!
Australia
Rep
Drives: 86 E30 M3

Rain FTL..
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2008, 09:27 AM   #5
TTBear
Captain
Rep
Drives: '20 Huracán/'19 M2Comp/'23 X4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerezBlue! View Post

Many thanks.
When I lived in Ireland, I used Autoglym Metal Polish - it works phenomenally, and is widely available. I still have not found a metal polish to better it, at any price! Just make sure you use a soft cotton cloth (microfibre is even better - not the cheap crap you can purchase widely, but as at www.detailersparadise.com) so you don't scratch the finish.

Hope this helps! Here's a pic of my exhaust tips - quick, 15 minute job - and this is my 2002 M3!:

Appreciate 0
      01-06-2008, 11:17 AM   #6
ilron
Private First Class
Norway
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 & E60 520d - soon an X1

I bought the Swissvax Master Collection, comes with all you need. The metal polish does wonders with the exhaust tips.

Here is a pic after a quick wash. The tips were covered with salt and grime from dirty winter roads, I was worried they never would shine again.
Attached Images

01-06-2008, 11:48 AM   #7
JerezBlue!
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilron View Post
I bought the Swissvax Master Collection, comes with all you need. The metal polish does wonders with the exhaust tips.

Here is a pic after a quick wash. The tips were covered with salt and grime from dirty winter roads, I was worried they never would shine again.

They look perfect. You sure this photo wasn't taken when the car was new?? Just kidding. So, it's called Swissvax? Just googled it, the master collection costs a massive £415 in the UK!!! Can you please specify exactly which other product(s) you used with the metal polish and in what order you used them? Any specific cloth etc? Many thanks.

EDIT: The total master collection kit is £415. Metal polish is just £16. Cheers.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2008, 12:28 PM   #8
RandyB
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '03 330i, '09 M3 Coupe

Just stay after them with metal polish between washes. I use Mother's on mine but any polish cream will yield good results. I may have to try the wheel wax also. It probably makes it easier to lift the stains I would guess.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2008, 01:27 PM   #9
ilron
Private First Class
Norway
Rep

RandyB has a point, the tips are easy to clean if you use metal polish every now and then. Not necessary each time and most products will do a good job.

I read a few detail enthusiast sites and figured out that of the stuff I could get my hans on quick, Swissvax was one of the best. I was in no mood to shop around for the best of each product, and since my impression was that all their products were reasonably good; I bought the Master Collection with Concorso wax.
BTW: I'm a neat freak and really like the bag. Keeps all the stuff in one place and looks good while doing it.

As requested: Exact procedure for the exhaust tips:
1. Sprayed on a mild Swissvax Wheel and water solution. (1 part soap, 4 parts water).
2. Washed them with a MicroWash cloth and lots of water.
3. Polished them with Metal Polish cream and soft "one time cotton cloths".

All in all it took less than 10 minutes, but I waxed the car between 2 and 3 so the tips were dry before I polished them.

The one thing I really like with all the products that came with this set is that they are dust free, and with the exception of the Cleaner Fluid, very easy to apply and remove.
Their products are [insert: very] expensive, but keeping the car clean has never been as easy as now.

Here is a list showing the contents in the bag:
http://www.swissvax.co.uk/products/m...ction-kits.asp
Attached Images

01-06-2008, 01:35 PM   #10
JerezBlue!
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
As requested: Exact procedure for the exhaust tips:
1. Sprayed on a mild Swissvax Wheel and water solution. (1 part soap, 4 parts water).
2. Washed them with a MicroWash cloth and lots of water.
3. Polished them with Metal Polish cream and soft "one time cotton cloths".

Excellent response, thank you. Your car is JB like mine. What do you do about the swirl marks that can appear on dark paint?
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2008, 03:13 PM   #11
ilron
Private First Class
Norway
Rep

I think the most important thing is to take care when washing the car, and make sure it has a good layer of wax to protect the paint from the worst punishment.

I always wash the car myself, and then with clean microfiber cloths and lots of fresh water. Cleaning oils without abrasives does a good job hiding light swirls, add a layer of wax and most defects are hidden well.

Scratches and heavy swirls has to be removed by polishing the car, there are many products out there; and I guess other people on this forum can help you much better than I can with how to do that properly.

Btw: I just read your post with pictures of your car, and can tell you that also my car had swirls! I have not yet polished it, but I will have to do it this spring.
For now, I'll just keep it clean and waxed through the rest of this hellish season.
      01-08-2008, 02:50 PM   #12
Bastet
Second Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep
Drives: M3 E92 aka 'Batmobile'

Quote:
BTW: I'm a neat freak and really like the bag. Keeps all the stuff in one place and looks good while doing it.
I might have to buy the same bag, looks just the kind of thing I would fall for ! And my dear husband could take care of the cleaning/waxing/etc part with really nice products. On the other hand, being a neat freak as well, I'll be probably cleaning the car just as much as him... Anyway thanks for all tips and products posted here !
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2008, 08:05 PM   #13
dillon733
Major
Rep
Drives: Jet Black e92 M3

whats yoru feeling on Swissvax VS Zymol
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2008, 03:45 PM   #14
ilron
Private First Class
Norway
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dillon733 View Post
I have not tried Zymol, from my understanding they are in the same league.
You may get better feedback on www.detailuniversity.com or similar sites.
      03-23-2008, 05:16 AM   #15
L~R~G nor cal
Perfection Is In The Details
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 E90

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dillon733 View Post

Kind of like mb v.s. bmw. What ever won you own; you think its the best.

Overall they are amazing products but just like our cars you are also buying the name.

Swissvax is known for darker color cars and waterbeading.

Zymol is more of your any applaction type of product.

Personal its hard to beat Zymol Vintage Glaze just for the fact that it is lifetime free refills when you are talking about spending $1,000usd on wax. Plus it would look cool in your wine celler or on your desk!

I personaly like both the same, and when you use them on different cars you find what product works best for a certain color or clear coat.
      03-23-2008, 01:41 PM   #16
aussie
Private First Class
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Hey ilron, thanks for the step by step details. I also got the Swissvax set so will see if it works as well for me as it seems to have for you. Hope so, as there is a lot of salt on the road here in winter, but it would be nice to keep the pipes looking good.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2008, 02:27 PM   #17
ilron
Private First Class
Norway
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie View Post
Hey ilron, thanks for the step by step details. I also got the Swissvax set so will see if it works as well for me as it seems to have for you. Hope so, as there is a lot of salt on the road here in winter, but it would be nice to keep the pipes looking good.
I hope it helps.
Salt is the worst there is, it is just impossible to keep the car clean, fortunately a good layer of wax makes it come off easier.

I cleaned my car the day before this picture, it looks like I've been offroading or driving on dirt roads, not asphalt on a sunny day:
Attached Images

05-02-2008, 04:17 AM   #18
aussie
Private First Class
Switzerland
Rep

Hey ilron, thanks have done what u outlined and it worked a real treat. Did the same on a mates 335 and it cleaned his dirty exchusts really well, thanks heaps.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2008, 06:37 PM   #19
yahtzee
El Capitan
United_States
Rep
Drives: fast

how does Swissvax compare to Zaino?
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2008, 03:47 PM   #20
aussie
Private First Class
Switzerland
Rep

good question, but I can't answer it as I've never used Zaino
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2008, 06:04 PM   #21
Takumi587
///M3 Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 05' M3 and 21' Tesla Model 3

Garage List
For the exhaust tips MXT works best IMO. However, to clean it first(if it covered in black) use a much more aggressive metal polish and then go over with the MXT. Works magic. I used it on my E46 and got these results:

I also have swissvax products and honestly it is overpriced just my .02 cents.

Appreciate 0