BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

Mporium BMW

05-24-2008, 10:48 PM   #23
FrenchBoy
Lieutenant Colonel
France
Rep
Drives: '16 F80 M3

I went to one of the local dealers in the Western Washington today. They have about 8 coupes and 4 sedans coming in. All the coupes are pre-orders and therefore already sold. All the sedans are not sold yet.

This is really interesting. I am unsure why the Sedan would be less desirable than the coupe. I for one like it as much, if not even more, and I plan to buy the sedan for practical reasons.

Additionally, I seem to recall that the E36 M3 sedan outsold the coupe as least 2 to 1 for the couple of years it was available.

Current: 2016 F80 M3 6-Speed | SO | AB XT1 | ZCP | M Performance Suspension | GC Camber Plates
Previous: 2009 E90 M3
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2008, 10:09 AM   #24
gblansten
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 23 Tesla S Plaid

My dealer called me a few days ago and said they had a convertible in stock and other M3s and this is a medium market dealer with no close competition.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2008, 10:12 AM   #25
gblansten
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 23 Tesla S Plaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrenchBoy View Post
I went to one of the local dealers in the Western Washington today. They have about 8 coupes and 4 sedans coming in. All the coupes are pre-orders and therefore already sold. All the sedans are not sold yet.

This is really interesting. I am unsure why the Sedan would be less desirable than the coupe. I for one like it as much, if not even more, and I plan to buy the sedan for practical reasons.

Additionally, I seem to recall that the E36 M3 sedan outsold the coupe as least 2 to 1 for the couple of years it was available.
Here is my guess. I could be wrong. The coupe will sell well because empty nesters and single people and married no kids will buy them. Practicality is less of an issue. If you need the sedan odds are you need practicality and are more likely to have younger children. An M3 sedan will still likely be purchased by a man. I'm betting that the wives are putting their foot down on buying a gas guzzler at a time like this combined with a down economy so the more practical M3 takes the hit.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2008, 10:37 AM   #26
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

I think that the M3 Sedan will have some issue selling in the USA because of all those 328i Sedan leases at $287 a month.

WTF???

My rationale is that the Coupe is way more rare than the Sedan, and I'm talking about the South Florida metro areas, where Ferraris an Lambos are really dime a dozen. The M3 Sedan as a Sedan itself can be easily confused with a pimp out 328i, but a Coupe -be a 328i/335i or an M3- is not a common sight anyway. The same happens with the Convertible. For me, for every 10 E9x that I see in the street around here, 8 are Sedans, 2 are Coupes. For every 20, 16 are Sedans, 3 are Coupes and 1 is a Convertible....

So to spend some $60,000+ to look like anybody else with a bimmer (perhaps we as enthusiasts can identify an M3 from the moon, but it is not as easy for the non-enthusiast) for a M3 Sedan, a lot of customers rather get the Coupe and be really different. Having had a whole generation of M3 (the E46) in only Coupe and Convertible doesn't make it easier either...

The good news about this is that the Sedan will be heavily discounted to move compared with the Coupe...
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2008, 10:47 AM   #27
Zirenz2006
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Comp IOMG

My dealer has 3 sedans in stock, 1 coupe and 1 convertible from what I saw. I was at my dealership twice this week. The guy told me sales are off. It was like a ghost town in there both days.
Appreciate 0