BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-19-2011, 02:20 PM   #1
1speedbike
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4 M40i, 2008 135i

WTH keeps happening to my microfiber cloths

My microfiber cloths don't seem to last more than 1 machine wash. I do not use special microfiber cleaner, but from what I've read, it doesn't seem to be required. I've tried several types of laundry detergent, including HE, non-HE, woolite for dark color protection, regular tide, dye and additive free detergent, etc etc.

NOTHING WORKS.

Every time I take the cloths out, not only do they still have dirt ingrained into the cloth, but they are no longer absorbent. I usually throw all my microfibers into a single load together, and it fills up my washer to like 1/3-1/2 capacity, so it's not like i'm throwing in 2 cloths together and expecting they get clean without a real load in there. Is it because I throw in the cloths I use for waxing too? I know youre not supposed to use fabric softener because it ends up coating the cloth with a wax-like coating and un-micro-ing the fibers so to speak, could the wax just be spreading to all the other cloths in the wash and doing this?

I just can't stand having all my cloths not pick up even a drop of water after a single wash. WTH man

Scruffy's gonna die the way he lived... Mmhm.

Appreciate 0
      05-19-2011, 02:26 PM   #2
JHOOPS2
AKA HISSMAN
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 SG 135i Coupe'

If you washing machine has a filter it may be clogged or their may be dirt backing up during the drain cycle. What brand, how old is your washer?
      05-19-2011, 03:09 PM   #3
randomquickness
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 996tt

try different microfibers. Not all MF is created equal

I have some older ones that lost their absorbancy after a few washes and some that haven't. The bulk pack from costco seems to hold up well for me.
      05-19-2011, 05:16 PM   #4
1speedbike
Brigadier General
Rep

My washer is about 4 years old, GE Harmony or something like that, top loader. Does it have a filter? Where is it? Guess I gotta go look up some owner's manual online haha

My microfibers are mostly Zwipes brand and whatever the Autozone brand is. But I also have Meguiars and 3M cloths too and they experience the same thing. All of them lose their magic after a single wash. Ugh

Appreciate 0
      05-19-2011, 11:55 PM   #5
shodanusmc
Captain
Rep
Drives: 09 135 Vert

You are not using a fabric softener are you? Never have a problem with the package of COSTCO yellow MF's. Do nto use Fabric softener, bleach etc. I use warm water wash, cold rinse.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2011, 06:16 AM   #6
TOGWT
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 630i

Quote:
Originally Posted by shodanusmc View Post
You are not using a fabric softener are you? Never have a problem with the package of COSTCO yellow MF's. Do nto use Fabric softener, bleach etc. I use warm water wash, cold rinse.
It could be caused by fabric softner residue...

• During the rinse cycle add 1-tsb per towel white distilled vinegar (acetic acid that once diluted with water, the acid content is approximately 3-4% of the total solutions) this will help dissolve detergent and hard water minerals.
• Do not use fabric softeners (includes both liquid and dryer sheet type fabric softeners) as they deposit chemicals (silicone, etc) on the fabric and render them ineffective. These chemicals will also transfer to whatever you are cleaning or polishing with the towel.
• Clean the lint screen before and after every wash session

Over time you may find your micro fibre’s effectiveness decreases, despite following all of the above guidelines, this may be due to wax / polish build-up.

To remedy try one of the following -
1. Wash the microfiber for one full wash cycle normally. Then wash again, except this time open the lid and let it soak overnight. In the morning, close the lid and let the cycle finish.

2. Wash the microfiber for one full wash cycle normally. Then wash again, but instead of laundry detergent, add 1/2 cup of white vinegar to the load (assuming a medium to full size load). Run the cycle normally
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2011, 07:26 AM   #7
romak47
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: like a bat out of hell

i use tide and good waffle weave mf towels.. cobra is a great brand.

Its still hard to get fine particles out of my towels cause thats how mf's are. they hold onto dirt/etc too well.
JB4, DCI, Digi boost, CSL eyelids, 5% tint, KW v2's. Bastuck 85mm quad w/ berk resonated mids, LED int ltg, Perf SSK, CF int trim, 19" SF-71 rims, CDV mod, BMS OCC, ER+tial charge pipe. AR DP's, Helix IC,meth, drilled slotted rotors
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2011, 07:30 AM   #8
MuttGrunt
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: beater;)

Sounds like it's your washer / dryer. No way all these different towels should be bad after a single use. Even low quality towels have a better showing IME. Follow the advice of TOGWT.

In addition, this is why I don't even have fabric softener in the house. Chances are you're picking up residue onto your towels. My additional advice: before you do a load of mf, do an empty cycle with vinegar to help flush out old residue of detergent / softener.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2011, 08:36 PM   #9
1speedbike
Brigadier General
Rep

TOGWT you are THE MAN

I NEVER wash or dry with fabric softener, but my mom is a compulsive softener. She lives in Europe but visits often and washes her clothes in the same washer. She even "softened" my regular towels after i explicitly told her it would ruin them.

However, after reading your post, I'm thinking that there is definitely some fabric softener residue because of her softening habits. I only use the dryer sheets for my softening so there's no way those affected my towels in the washer.

I will try out the cleaning method you described and let you know! I will also just do a straight wash with vinegar as MuttGrunt suggested beforehand, just in case it's caked on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOGWT View Post
It could be caused by fabric softner residue...

• During the rinse cycle add 1-tsb per towel white distilled vinegar (acetic acid that once diluted with water, the acid content is approximately 3-4% of the total solutions) this will help dissolve detergent and hard water minerals.
• Do not use fabric softeners (includes both liquid and dryer sheet type fabric softeners) as they deposit chemicals (silicone, etc) on the fabric and render them ineffective. These chemicals will also transfer to whatever you are cleaning or polishing with the towel.
• Clean the lint screen before and after every wash session

Over time you may find your micro fibre’s effectiveness decreases, despite following all of the above guidelines, this may be due to wax / polish build-up.

To remedy try one of the following -
1. Wash the microfiber for one full wash cycle normally. Then wash again, except this time open the lid and let it soak overnight. In the morning, close the lid and let the cycle finish.

2. Wash the microfiber for one full wash cycle normally. Then wash again, but instead of laundry detergent, add 1/2 cup of white vinegar to the load (assuming a medium to full size load). Run the cycle normally
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuttGrunt View Post
Sounds like it's your washer / dryer. No way all these different towels should be bad after a single use. Even low quality towels have a better showing IME. Follow the advice of TOGWT.

In addition, this is why I don't even have fabric softener in the house. Chances are you're picking up residue onto your towels. My additional advice: before you do a load of mf, do an empty cycle with vinegar to help flush out old residue of detergent / softener.

Appreciate 0