BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

03-29-2011, 01:46 PM   #1
slimflem
get driving!
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

from bumper clips to software flash due to recall??

Ok, so maybe someone has some more info on this. I took my 2010 E92 (build date of 10/09 I believe) in to have a couple of bumper clips replaced that tore out when I drug on a dumbass gravel driveway . Anyway, I call for an update, and I am told my car is being reprogrammed due to a recall. The service dude said it's a complete software update to the car, but had no immediate details to provide. I have not received any recall notices from BMW and I am a little amazed my car is getting software updates without me being notified first before that work starts.

So my question is, does anyone have any additional information about what this recall is and what the software flash is "fixing" or updating/changing? Any info is appreciated or links to other threads talking about this. The service dude is going to try and locate some info he can provide to me describing the update, which I will post if provided.

It looks like if my car is not ready today, which was unexpected, then I'll be put in a loaner for the night. I'm not too pleased by this, but I guess hey, what can I do right? They have already started the flashing.

==

(EDIT)

I have new info on my flash. I'll post my service receipts this evening. I'm going to start logging changes I am noticing here in this thread.

First, immediately upon getting in the car before I started to tune into "what could be changed", that metallicy/chain-like/whining noise the engine emits that you can hear especially when sound is reflecting back to the car because of something on the side of the road like a wall or other cars, etc. or when pulling off slow or driving slow in a parking lot is noticeably louder. This was apparent immediately and caught my attention. I love that sound and appreciate it being louder. Hopefully you guys know what the sound is I am trying to describe.

Now, this one is debatable, but I am confident that the throttle blips on downshifts are more aggresive sounding compared to previous. This may or may not be in my head, but this again caught my attention immediately without thinking about it. I wasn't tuned into this at all it just caught my attention.

These tow things above I'd love for others to chime in if you have noticed something similar and you are confident it's not a placebo affect.

Changes:

* instrument cluster icon for DSC is now a car icon with skid marks and not the exclamation with a circle around it.

* "BMW Search" renamed to "BMW Online" within "BMW Assist" menu.

* "lag" between the time I am braking and car is downshifting to the time I immediately hit the gas again when clutching is re-engaging is noticeablly reduced to at least 1/2 of the original time where it is almost not an issue any longer. this is when in either M or D modes. this situation would be for example when you are coming to a stop at a corner to turn but instead of stopping you have slowed down to say around 10 - 15 ish and the car just went into let's say 2nd gear and you realize you don't need to stop but instead fairly quickly press the throttle again almost immediately after the downshift occured. prior to this flash, there was a noticeable delay between me pressing throttle and the car "reengaging" itself. This delay is almost gone now. Nice!

Last edited by slimflem; 03-30-2011 at 02:05 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2011, 01:53 PM   #2
schnell325
Bored at work....
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 F82 M4 GTS//2022 M235iGC

DCT?
Grey Matter:2008 E92 M3:608/425. SG/PS SOLD!
Dark Matter:2015 F80 M3:495/505. SOLD!
Anti Matter :2016 F82 M4 GTS
What next?!? A 2022 M235i GC- I must be getting old
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2011, 02:29 PM   #3
slimflem
get driving!
United_States
Rep

this is for state emissions updates for additional transmission data logging. The car is done being programmed and the SA said nothing will change from how it has been. I will of course post more details based on anything I find and any version info, etc. from the work order for others to have for info as well.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2011, 10:16 PM   #4
///M Rakete
Rocket Scientist
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 2018 X3 M40i

Here you go...
Attached Images
File Type: pdf SI B 28 01 10 - DCT Freeze Frame Data Log Issue.pdf (93.5 KB, 163 views)
      03-30-2011, 09:21 AM   #5
slimflem
get driving!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Rakete View Post
Here you go...
Thanks for this!
Appreciate 0