BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

BPM

08-22-2007, 03:53 PM   #1
hl0m4n
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Question PC Question About Internet

i currently have optimum online for my internet at my house. i want to run a wireless router but have a question.

cablevision has an internet option called "boost" which increases the speed of the standard cable by much (don't got the exact #s with me) but was wondering if the extra speed will effect the wireless router?

my opinion is getting the boost features only works on the the computers hooked up by direct lines to the modem. i don't think increasing the speed of the modem will effect the internet through a wireless router. sorry for my lack of correct grammar but i am about to leave work and wanted to post before i head out lol. hope to get my answer by the tmie i get back.

Last edited by hl0m4n; 08-22-2007 at 04:43 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2007, 07:22 PM   #2
Kiemyster
Bimmerpost Resident Marijuana Consultant
Trinidad_and_tobago
Rep
Drives: 320i, 325xi, 335Xi, 335i, M3

Garage List
well, i dont understand. wat ur saying is that the "boost" only works when the computer is connected direclty to the modem via a LAN cable? hmm. sounds just about wrong.

reguardless, the "boost" should work through a good wireless router. i mean, internet speed is what it is, the only thing the router does is disperse it to a wireless signal and clones the ports.

My verdict:

Based on your info you provided, it should work. give it a try, and see what happens. if it dont work, send that shit back ASAP!
      08-22-2007, 07:41 PM   #3
hl0m4n
Major General
United_States
Rep

the boost option is $9.95 extra per month. it is about x2 times faster then regular cable internet. so if i get the boost service and hook it up to a wireless router will the router and my wireless pcs be able to take full advantage of the extra mbps? i can understand the desktops hooked up directly to a wired router from the modem but a wireless router no clue.

do wireless internet signals have a set speed or is that dependent on modem? like if you have 56k and have a wireless modem net surfing is probably slow and if you have cable it is good. but would adding a faster cable service lead to faster wireless internet surfing?
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2007, 08:05 PM   #4
leejoobin
help
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i

i think the "boost" works for the computer and wireless ones.
i have just moved into a new house.
so i called my cable company to transfer the service to the new house, while doing that i also added the "boost".
and i actually think it has increased the internet speed on my wireless laptop.
can't really tell while surfing web.
but i can tell when i'm downloading movies or other stuff.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2007, 08:45 PM   #5
hl0m4n
Major General
United_States
Rep

so if you have a t3 connection will surfing the web wirelessly be the same as a desktop that has the same connection directly hooked up by ethernet?

im wondering if these wireless routers have a speed limit. im trying to find out if i get this extra service if a wireless network will take full advantage of it.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2007, 09:07 PM   #6
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

It depends on your wireless card and router, but typically wireless systems run at 20-40 MBPS. You upgraded to probably 768 KBPS. M's are better than K's. Your wired cards are eitehr 10 or 100 MBPS so they could potentially take better advantage of the boost, but either way you won't be running at the maximum for either the wireless or wired connections.

In all the cases, you are typically splitting that maximum cable rate by however many computers you hook up to it, be it wired or wireless.

So yes, mmore bandwidth (boost) is better, and will be shared equally among all teh connections.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2007, 01:37 PM   #7
hl0m4n
Major General
United_States
Rep

i figured out a way to explain what i am trying to get answers to lol.

lets say my cable modem speed is a 5 and optimum boost is a 10. doesn't a wireless router and signal to a wireless pc have a limited speed like 5? thus me getting the extra speed of 5 won't do anything as the limit is set to 5? hopefully makes a bit more sense lol
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2007, 11:21 PM   #8
BK
Smiling politely
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by hl0m4n View Post
i figured out a way to explain what i am trying to get answers to lol.

lets say my cable modem speed is a 5 and optimum boost is a 10. doesn't a wireless router and signal to a wireless pc have a limited speed like 5? thus me getting the extra speed of 5 won't do anything as the limit is set to 5? hopefully makes a bit more sense lol
Depends on the strength of your wireless signal. If it's weak, it will be slower. The wireless router we have has no problems delivering 15Mbit/s, which is faster than your cable connection, even wired. If you hide in some corner of the house and get a weak signal, the max might be 2Mbit/s. Otherwise, it works as well as wired. You should be fine.