BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

Mporium BMW

04-04-2012, 07:08 AM   #1
SchnellM3
Digger
United_States
Rep
Drives: 03 E46 M3

Garage List
Question Brake pedal extremely stiff on starts?

So I've proly been driving my car around for about 2 weeks now and I'm always taken back by it after a long couple month break, just the feeling and the sounds she makes when you start her up. I feel complete again...

Anyhow I have a question to ask if anyone else has ever expiereince the following before. The past 3 times I've gotten in to start the brake pedal goes extremely stiff and is a bear to get down enough to start it. If I just depress is slightly and hit the start/stop button only the electronics come on as if I didn't have any pressure on the pedal at all. I've tried sitting there to see if it'll loosen itself up by it doens't seem to be doing that, so I end up putting down a good amount of force to get it to the point where it will turn over. After the start up everything is fine and the pedal acts normal, I haven't had this "problem" (Not really sure it is) before but was just curious if anyone elses acts like this sometimes....

Full Innotech Exhaust - DINAN Intake - IND Engine Bay Appearance - IND Hand Stitched Boot Covers - and much more....
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2012, 07:54 AM   #2
SenorFunkyPants
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5

Sounds like the vacuum created by the engine to reduce the amount of pedal pressure required to operate the brakes is bleeding away quicker than usual. A hard pedal after a week might be regarded as normal but overnight probably not.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2012, 11:57 AM   #3
Twinbo
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ....

This happens when I start my car from time to time. Not sure why but haven't had any issue so I haven't reported it. I thought it was just an M3 nuance.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2012, 01:27 PM   #4
swartzentruber
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinbo View Post
This happens when I start my car from time to time. Not sure why but haven't had any issue so I haven't reported it. I thought it was just an M3 nuance.
+1. Noticed it too, chalked it up to a "feature". Only reason I've noticed it is you have to depress the brake to start the car, and a couple of times it wouldn't start because I hadn't depressed it enough.
      04-04-2012, 01:32 PM   #5
dom55
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5M

I have been noticing this issue with my car lately also. I usually only have this problem when I start my car on the morning after it has been sitting in the garage all night.