BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

08-30-2016, 09:07 AM   #45
deansbimmer
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: 2011 E93 M3

Garage List
1988 BMW M3  [0.00]
2013 BMW M3  [0.00]
2011 X5M  [0.00]
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
REFUND HIM!

SPR doesn't seem to have a clue about how things work if he is threatening to go to AMEX. I deal with paypal daily with hundreds of transactions. Paypal protects the buyer 100%. Period. Since he sent funds as goods, all he has to do is file a claim with Paypal at any point and paypal will remove the funds from your account (even if your account is empty) and Paypal will refund the fees- you don't eat anything, you're not out any money. You MUST use the refund function in the original transactions if you send money back. If you send money to him separately he can still file a claim for the original transactions and you'll be out twice as much until you spend hours with Paypal proving otherwise. It would be very unwise to attempt to only give him a partial refund. I haven't read into your entire situation but there seems to be no reason to do anything other than get rid of him with a full refund.

I don't usually post to threads like this but I'm worried for you. This whole thing stinks to high heaven- two receiving accounts, multiple refunds and resends.... I wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole. You are lucky you still have the goods. You need to suck it up, lose the sale and get rid of SPR from your life. He obviously got buyers remorse. To those saying he entered into a "contract" are kidding themselves. No paperwork was duly signed, no terms were set in writing, and even if there were- Paypal doesn't care about YOUR terms if they conflict with THEIR terms of use. Trying to hold a buyers feet to the fire NEVER works out for the seller. They'll give the buyer back all of his money the second he requests so. The ONLY time Paypal will protect the buyer is if you prove he has the merchandise- which is a battle by itself.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2016, 09:42 AM   #46
Rob S.
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Nissan GT-R FBO

Quote:
Originally Posted by deansbimmer View Post
REFUND HIM!

SPR doesn't seem to have a clue about how things work if he is threatening to go to AMEX. I deal with paypal daily with hundreds of transactions. Paypal protects the buyer 100%. Period. Since he sent funds as goods, all he has to do is file a claim with Paypal at any point and paypal will remove the funds from your account (even if your account is empty) and Paypal will refund the fees- you don't eat anything, you're not out any money. You MUST use the refund function in the original transactions if you send money back. If you send money to him separately he can still file a claim for the original transactions and you'll be out twice as much until you spend hours with Paypal proving otherwise. It would be very unwise to attempt to only give him a partial refund. I haven't read into your entire situation but there seems to be no reason to do anything other than get rid of him with a full refund.

I don't usually post to threads like this but I'm worried for you. This whole thing stinks to high heaven- two receiving accounts, multiple refunds and resends.... I wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole. You are lucky you still have the goods. You need to suck it up, lose the sale and get rid of SPR from your life. He obviously got buyers remorse. To those saying he entered into a "contract" are kidding themselves. No paperwork was duly signed, no terms were set in writing, and even if there were- Paypal doesn't care about YOUR terms if they conflict with THEIR terms of use. Trying to hold a buyers feet to the fire NEVER works out for the seller. They'll give the buyer back all of his money the second he requests so. The ONLY time Paypal will protect the buyer is if you prove he has the merchandise- which is a battle by itself.
I used the refund function in both original transactions. In 1 transaction i sent a full refund (2800 dollar) and in 1 transaction i sent back partial refund of 2581 dollar. The WORST thing that can happen now is that i still will need to pay the 219 dollar after all is said and done. But i provided paypal with all the information to prove he is wrong and he agreed with partial refund. I will keep you guys updated! I also sent a PM to a moderator about this issue, they should ban people like this.....
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2016, 10:01 AM   #47
Properstyle
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 e90 ZCP m3

I've dealt with this type of issue twice already and paypal will back the seller if he has all his ducks in arow, if you all came to an agreed amount for refund and you have that as a screen shot from his user name you are fint.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2016, 11:51 AM   #48
X5-User
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: X5 35d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Properstyle View Post
I've dealt with this type of issue twice already and paypal will back the seller if he has all his ducks in arow, if you all came to an agreed amount for refund and you have that as a screen shot from his user name you are fint.
That's interesting to know as I know 100% Paypal will backup the buyer no matter what (happened to me many times).

I am monitoring this thread to see the outcome. I do hope it comes in favor of the seller to teach buyers like those a lesson.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2016, 12:10 PM   #49
whats77inaname
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: when at all possible

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3m3mr View Post
What made you think he was going to suddenly be honest during the refund process. You should have never agreed to a refund.
Because there are those of us who, even in this day and age, try to take people at their word and give them the benefit of the doubt. And sometimes we get burned, but that's okay; karma eventually catches up to them.

Last edited by whats77inaname; 08-30-2016 at 03:22 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2016, 01:24 PM   #50
Rob S.
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by whats77inaname View Post
Because there are those of us who, even in this day and age, try to take people at their word and give them the benefit of the doubt. And sometimes we get burned, but that's okay; but karma eventually catches up to them.
Exactly. Plus i was afraid that when i would ship the kit he would just not accept the package and then it would be sent back to me. I rather sent the kit to someone who i can trust.

I documented and described everything really, really well. So if paypal still decides in his favor then this is probably the last time i used paypal. Like i said the worst that can happen right now is that i will still need to pay the 219 dollar that i did not refund him. Still no big issue, but i really hope paypal decides in my favor to teach this a**hole a lesson.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2016, 01:45 PM   #51
Properstyle
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 e90 ZCP m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer-M3 View Post
That's interesting to know as I know 100% Paypal will backup the buyer no matter what (happened to me many times).

I am monitoring this thread to see the outcome. I do hope it comes in favor of the seller to teach buyers like those a lesson.
I had a guy who I sold a AEM v2 ecu who mid way in shipping ask me to buy it back for it got to his house. then suddenly when it did it had a chipp on the connector yet the box was intact, you could see the chip was fresh. I contacted paypal with screen shots of these messages and told them I was pay for a repair but it would have to be sent to aem to do so. The buyer refused and wanted it sent back and full refund. PAYPAL denied his claim as it showed it was buyer remorse and he had damaged the item to get money back.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2016, 01:46 PM   #52
Rat3d ///M
997.1TT
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Porsche 911 Turbo

May I ask why you felt you were entitled to keep $219 of the buyers money?
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2016, 01:52 PM   #53
E90Dave
Daily Dose of Reality
Rep
Drives: 2008 loaded DCT M3 MINT

Quote:
Originally Posted by |||||||||| View Post
Because he boxed everything up... etc.

I'm scratching my head on this one too.

Refund the entire thing and be done with it. Who wants to deal with this over $200?
2003 Quad Cab Silverado 1500 - Beast truck
2013 Audi RS5 - the "shared" DD
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2016, 09:12 PM   #54
DJiGGs
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 M3 AW

Quote:
because 1. he spent the time to get this ready and could have potentially lost another sale due to a customer not knowing what he wants.

2. He could of just sent the kit out and and kept the money.

3. This will teach the buyer that you cant just go around saying you'll purchase something then back out with false accusations AFTER you already sent the money. Don't commit to something you can't buy. If the guy was to buy from ESS directly i can guarantee they would charge him a higher restocking fee than the $219 OP charged.

What if OP didnt see the guys message and sent it out... what happens then.

now if the guy wasn't such a douche bag and sent something like "hey man sorry something came up I don't have the funds i put aside for a this kit I'm really sorry I hope this wasn't too much of an inconvenience"

But again that's my opinion, some people would handle it differently, to each their own.

With him keeping a small portion of the transaction he is going to have to deal with how this guy reacts.

Last edited by DJiGGs; 08-30-2016 at 09:18 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2016, 07:02 AM   #55
Sneaky Pete
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M car

Doesn't Paypal refund the fee if the transaction is cancelled?
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2016, 07:21 AM   #56
oolas3
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW

Why should the seller be out $219 because the buyer broke the deal!? The seller did the buyer a huge favor and shouldn't lose a penny on the deal. It's not like the seller can recover this fee from the next buyer.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2016, 09:46 AM   #57
Patrón
PAZUZU
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 M4

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
2009 BMW M3  [10.00]
What a huge waste of time over $200

2009 M3 DCT ESS625+ SOLD
2015 M4 BSM/Silverstone F4LCON
@texasMclub IG @jagemoets
Appreciate 1
      08-31-2016, 10:51 AM   #58
Rat3d ///M
997.1TT
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3m3mr View Post
Why should the seller be out $219 because the buyer broke the deal!? The seller did the buyer a huge favor and shouldn't lose a penny on the deal. It's not like the seller can recover this fee from the next buyer.
The seller wouldn't lose any money..that's the problem I have. He made $219 off of the buyer and lost nothing but his time. You do know PayPal refunds any fees they charge when you refund the money you received right? That's why I dont think it's right. Seller would have to box the kit up to ship to any buyer anyway so that's a poor excuse. A restocking fee? It's a private sale lol. But whatever. Buyer was cool losing money and seller was cool taking it so doesn't change the way my breakfast tastes in the morning
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2016, 10:54 AM   #59
oolas3
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
The seller wouldn't lose any money..that's the problem I have. He made $219 off of the buyer and lost nothing but his time. You do know PayPal refunds any fees they charge when you refund the money you received right? That's why I dont think it's right. Seller would have to box the kit up to ship to any buyer anyway so that's a poor excuse. A restocking fee? It's a private sale lol. But whatever. Buyer was cool losing money and seller was cool taking it so doesn't change the way my breakfast tastes in the morning

No I didn't know that. That would change my opinion. I didn't realize paypal refunds the fee. To me a refund means you don't lose any money but you don't make any either.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2016, 08:59 PM   #60
Mdriv3r
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F13 M6

Garage List
Dude, refund the money and take a small loss. Either way, he and you are //M drivers. Explain the story here and someone may buy your kit plus the $200 you have lost. Just make sure your honest and take snaps of all the parts, as people on here don't mess around with our cars. That being said, you should be able to sell it easily, since it is discounted quite a bit.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2016, 02:01 AM   #61
Rob S.
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by premo View Post
Dude, refund the money and take a small loss. Either way, he and you are //M drivers. Explain the story here and someone may buy your kit plus the $200 you have lost. Just make sure your honest and take snaps of all the parts, as people on here don't mess around with our cars. That being said, you should be able to sell it easily, since it is discounted quite a bit.
Lol i really wish it was easy to sell a kit like this (especially living overseas). It took months and months before i finally got a acceptable offer. Most "m drivers" here are lowballers. I dont even remember how many offers of "i can give you 3500 dollar" i got.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2016, 02:04 AM   #62
Mdriv3r
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F13 M6

Garage List
Sorry to hear that man. Good luck with whichever choice you make. If you refund, just do a good inspection. If not, I am sure it will be super complicated. Do you actually have the kit with you???

Can you post pics of you do refund it?
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2016, 02:52 AM   #63
Rob S.
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
You need to stop talking about stuff you have no idea about. Just quit making false assumptions

The buyer paid me 2 x 2800 dollar (2 different paypal accounts) and on only 1 account i already lost 141 euro (158 dollar) because of the refund (valuta exchange rate etc). As i said the money was NOT in my paypal account anymore, it was already in my bank account. IF i also lose the other claim i will lose 2 x 158 dollar = 316 dollar. I should have just shipped the kit to this a**hole.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2016, 05:20 AM   #64
Rat3d ///M
997.1TT
United_States
Rep

Any difference in exchange rate is not an issue with PayPal that's an issue with the economy. No one argued that you didn't lose money due to the exchange rate being in the buyers favor now that the sale is complete. If that were the case you shouldve been more clear to avoid the confusion and i can understand why you would keep a small portion of the buyers mone. Nit for a restocking fee or for your "trouble" though. All I said was that you didn't get charged PayPal fees because PayPal refunds any fees they collect when a refund is made to the person sending money. If you were in fact charged paypal fees then you are doing it wrong.

Thanks for trying to school me on how PayPal and exchange rates work though but I think I got that lesson covered.
Appreciate 0