BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wheels + Tires Sponsored by The Tire Rack
  TireRack

KEEP M3POST ALIVE BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER LINK!

10-18-2013, 11:46 PM   #1
JVP13
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 e92 M3 ZCP

Question Need some help with Tire Sizes and Winter Setups

My M is my daily driver, planned on getting another whip for winter but as much as it snows around me it's not worth it. Probably won't be able to drive my car only about 3-7 days total all winter. So I'm thinking about either going with an All-Season Tire or if I can find a Winter Package cheap enough that would also be an option. I just don't wanna buy Wheels and Tires just for the winter especially since I'm planning on purchasing some better wheels for looks as well as some weight savings.

I currently have the Competition Package with the 19inch 359's. I wanna know if 235/35/19 front and 255/35/19 rears will fit on these wheels? Michelin does make a All-Season for the standard size Competition Package wheels but other brands only seem to come in the sizes I listed above. So do these tires fit and do any of you use All-Seasons for the Fall/Winter and how do they hold up, in wet, cold and light snow conditions?

Or is it worth the price to just get a Winter Package for the M? I live around Philly and Snow can be a pain but it's not like Michigan or Maine type snow unless its a real storm. So any members who live around my area use their M as their DD? And if so what do you usually do in the Winter? Or will the All-Seasons work just fine? Thanks for any and all help.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2013, 06:12 AM   #2
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

The ZCP wheels are 1/2 inch wider, so 9.0 and 10.0. Stretched snows are not great, 19 inch low profile all seasons are not great in snow. And 19 inch snows cost more than 18 inch snows. Sort of a waste to use ZCP wheels for snows.

I would sell them and buy a set of 18s. I run stock 18s with 235/255 snows. Buy the wheels you want for 3 season use -- I run 18 x 9.5/10.5 with 265/285.

Or look for a used set of 18s with snows in the for sale section here. Or buy some cheap wheels in an even narrower fit and put snows on those. The only problem with oddball cheap wheels is that it can be hard to replace one if it is damaged. Get something that is in production.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2013, 08:07 AM   #3
Haywood
I know a thing or 2 about a thing or 2...
Rep
Drives: E36 M3 Coupe, e39 M5, i3s

Garage List
2003 BMW e39 M5  [0.00]
1997 BMW e36 M3  [0.00]
Look for some used 18" winter setups on the forum or Craigslist. You can't go wrong. Philly can get a lot of snow. All-season tires probably won't help that much.
2013 Mineral White e92 M3 (sold )
2014 Carbon Black 650i M-sport (sold)

Last edited by Haywood; 10-19-2013 at 09:51 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2013, 09:10 AM   #4
ben@tirerack
M3Post Supporting Vendor
Rep
Drives: 740i

If you are using the competition package wheels and want more all-season options, 255/35R19 front and 275/35R19 rear would fit the wheels better, and will give you a bunch of all-season options.

Yes, you usually go narrower for snow traction. But if you needed traction for serious snow you'd be getting winter tires.

Other options:
In the 255 and 275 you can also get Blizzak LM60s, and then if you do have to go out in some more serious snow you'd be better prepared.

The Michelin AS3 is a very good tire and comes in the stock size, so that would definitely be worth considering too.

Last edited by ben@tirerack; 10-19-2013 at 10:13 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2013, 03:29 PM   #5
JVP13
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haywood View Post
Look for some used 18" winter setups on the forum or Craigslist. You can't go wrong. Philly can get a lot of snow. All-season tires probably won't help that much.
I hear you. But these past like 6 years have been little to zero snow around here. I used to have a 2012 535i w/ X-drive and there was no point in having AWD, in my opinion, so I got rid of it and bought the M figuring I could get away with All Seasons for the colder/wet months. I know the "skinnier" the tires the better for snow and wet traction. So that's why I was saying A/S Tires, so they fit on my stock rim.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2013, 03:33 PM   #6
JVP13
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben@tirerack View Post
If you are using the competition package wheels and want more all-season options, 255/35R19 front and 275/35R19 rear would fit the wheels better, and will give you a bunch of all-season options.

Yes, you usually go narrower for snow traction. But if you needed traction for serious snow you'd be getting winter tires.

Other options:
In the 255 and 275 you can also get Blizzak LM60s, and then if you do have to go out in some more serious snow you'd be better prepared.

The Michelin AS3 is a very good tire and comes in the stock size, so that would definitely be worth considering too.
AWESOME!!! I was actually on TireRack.com when I was looking up the All-Season Tires and Michelin had a set ready for the Comp. Pack. Wheels, I know the wheels are wider than most Snow tires will fit but what tires will fit the Stock ZCP wheel? And would the A/S Tires work in most situations or would I be better off with actual snow tires? Can you give me a price on those Blizzak LM60s? And will they fit my stock ZCP rim?

Thanks for the help man.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2013, 12:30 AM   #7
rpl77
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by killadelphiaM3 View Post
AWESOME!!! I was actually on TireRack.com when I was looking up the All-Season Tires and Michelin had a set ready for the Comp. Pack. Wheels, I know the wheels are wider than most Snow tires will fit but what tires will fit the Stock ZCP wheel? And would the A/S Tires work in most situations or would I be better off with actual snow tires? Can you give me a price on those Blizzak LM60s? And will they fit my stock ZCP rim?

Thanks for the help man.
i live in central va where it doesn't snow too much. ihave the zcp rims too but ended up buying used set of 220Ms and mounted the blizzak lm60's 255/275 as my dedicated winter set up. i could have gone with a used set of18s but i don't like the look of them. also i didnt want to put a cheap set of rims on such a nice car.

i figure the blizzaks will be good for cold streets and the occasional snow. overkill? probably. who knows; maybe i'll change my mind next year.
      10-21-2013, 09:41 AM   #8
M-P0WER
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 JB 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by killadelphiaM3 View Post

Thanks for the help man.

I just put 255/35R19 and 275/35R19 Blizzak LM60s on my ZCPs and they fit well. They actually look great for a winter setup.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2013, 09:59 AM   #9
budski
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 SSII E92 DCT ZCP

I'd go with snow tires over all-seasons for the winter just because they excel in cold temps, ice, and snow.

Snow tires are softer than regular all-seasons and would give you better stopping distances in any cold condition.

I used to live in Charlottesville, VA and although it didn't snow much, the peace of mind of winter tires is invaluable. When it did snow, I was passing by tons of vehicles that swerved off the snowy/icy roads from inadequate tires.

I got the 18"x8" $99 wheels from Ben@tirerack and they honestly didn't look too bad
Attached Images

ESS VT2 625 | Brembo 380mm F/R | Stack Gauges | Meisterschaft GT | KW V3 | Perf Steering Wheel | Challenge GT Lip | Perf CF Spoiler | CF Mirror Caps

Tundra TRD Rock Warrior
Appreciate 0