BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

01-13-2012, 05:52 PM   #1
embacpa
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 Sedan

Dinan suspension on top of Competition Package

has anyone done the dinan suspension mode on top of the competition package and edc? if so, is it a marked handling improvement? thoughts?

why? i DE an early 911 and my m3 is my daily driver. i took the m3 to the track for a session and the heavy weight is very apparent. i am going to buy another set of wheels for the m3 and wrap them in Hoosier R6's, but want to improve the sway, roll, and contact patch at the limit for the occasional track session. i actually have my wife drive my m3 to the track while i trailer my 911:-)

i appreciate any feedback/experience with track oriented drivers. the car is capable enough on the street.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2012, 06:12 PM   #2
MKE_M3
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e90 M3

Doesn't make sense to me. With the adjustable shocks, and slightly lowered suspension wtih ZCP you should be fine. I had the Dinan suspension set up on my 335 and the M3 with ZCP is very similar, but can be stiffer in Sport, Normal and Sport Plus.
      01-15-2012, 07:53 PM   #3
paradocs98
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C

I did this--Dinan Stage III suspension on my Competition Pkg car. While it might seem pointless to order the Comp Pkg in the first place if you're planning on doing the Dinan suspension, the Comp Pkg does offer you the nice ZCP wheels and improved, more track-oriented programming of the EDC.

While the Dinan suspension will not offer any more of a lowering compared to the already-lowered Comp Pkg, it does offer a few key improvements: it includes camber plates to allow increased negative camber in the front, and it changes the bump stops so that despite the fact that the car sits lower than a standard M3, it actually offers MORE suspension travel. Both of these features are very helpful in a track setting in keeping the contact patches planted.

Now that I've completed my first full HPDE season with the car and am really getting into it, I've sometimes wondered if it would have been better for me to have ordered a non-ZCP, non-EDC car and just put on Moton coilovers or a JRZ setup, etc. But I must say, for my skill level (intermediate) the car does very well on the track with the Dinan setup and Nitto NT01s. And the EDC is quite functional--I set it to full firm on the track and it's nicely controlled, and I set it to comfort on the street. Each EDC level is maybe a half-notch firmer with the Dinan suspension. You definitely don't want to drive the car on the highway in full firm, because it's very nervous and choppy. Comfort setting on the highway is perfect.

One thing to keep in mind if you are indeed going the Hoosier route for the track--with the weight of this car and the extreme stick of the Hoosiers, the stock brakes are going to be saying ouch in a hurry. If you do Hoosiers or BFG R1s, I would at the very least upgrade the brake pads and change fluid to a high-temp formula like Motul. I bit the bullet and put on a StopTech BBK 2 months after taking delivery of the car.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2012, 09:09 AM   #4
bigjae1976
Major General
Rep
Drives: 11 E90 M3 Individual

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [4.50]
2011 BMW E90 M3  [5.25]
2013 BMW 328i  [5.00]
I have a Dinan Stage II waiting to get installed. The one thing I don't like about the Dinan camber plates is that it seems like a compromise. I could be wrong but I think that -2.5 camber up front is not enough especially considering the weight and the R Comp tires.

Maybe an idea, I am thinking about going with the GC Camber plates instead of dinan. The bad part is the bottom of the mount is not shaved like the Dinan mounts so you lose the extra .3" in travel with the GC plates. I have to call GC sometime to see if shaving the bottom of the mounts is possible.
2000 E36/7 Z3 Steel Blue
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2012, 04:55 PM   #5
klammer
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 11 spc gry m3 e90, 19 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjae1976
I have a Dinan Stage II waiting to get installed. The one thing I don't like about the Dinan camber plates is that it seems like a compromise. I could be wrong but I think that -2.5 camber up front is not enough especially considering the weight and the R Comp tires.

Maybe an idea, I am thinking about going with the GC Camber plates instead of dinan. The bad part is the bottom of the mount is not shaved like the Dinan mounts so you lose the extra .3" in travel with the GC plates. I have to call GC sometime to see if shaving the bottom of the mounts is possible.
Would have to agree that the Dinan is a compromise set-up all around. After much track time this year the car definitely needs more camber and that's on street tires, so with R-comps would definitely want a bit more. I went with Dinan specifically as a compromise setup as my wife DD's the car and I do like taking road trips with the family and such. That being said would agree with Paradocs that if I had to do it all over again, wouldn't have gotten EDC and would have gone with a full coilover out of the gate. Happy motoring!
      01-16-2012, 06:22 PM   #6
paradocs98
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by klammer View Post
Would have to agree that the Dinan is a compromise set-up all around. After much track time this year the car definitely needs more camber and that's on street tires, so with R-comps would definitely want a bit more. I went with Dinan specifically as a compromise setup as my wife DD's the car and I do like taking road trips with the family and such. That being said would agree with Paradocs that if I had to do it all over again, wouldn't have gotten EDC and would have gone with a full coilover out of the gate. Happy motoring!
How much negative camber are you running up front with the Dinan Stg III? I did -1.8 this season, but I'm hoping to get -2.5 next season by having them max the setting out and pull the pins.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2012, 11:37 PM   #7
klammer
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 11 spc gry m3 e90, 19 X5

Think I was close to -2.2/-2.3, but don't recall exactly. Will double check this week, but whatever it is I want more!!!
      02-17-2012, 02:35 PM   #8
embacpa
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 Sedan

just getting back to my original post here. sorry. thank for feedback. i, like a few of you, wish i never got the competition pkg and edc. my gut told me not to as an improvement to a suspension has almost never been enough.

love my m3, but if you guys have not tracked a highly sorted, air cooled 911 find a way to do so. the m3 is much more powerful, but it is freak'n amazing what you can do with a 911 once you learn how to manage that rear weight. and, it is a hell of a lot more fun. an absolulte soulful experience.

thanks again
Appreciate 0