BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

Mporium BMW

08-23-2010, 10:06 AM   #1
Golgothar
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 Coupe

M3 vs CTS-V Coupe (Personal experience)

True story i thought i would share with you guys.

A funny thing happened to me this past weekend at the Cadillac dealership as i went to test drive the all new and much heralded 2011 Cadillac CTS-V Coupe. After calling around to a few dealerships here in town i managed to find one that had a CTS-V Coupe on site that i could test drive.

As i pulled into the Caddy dealership the saleman i spoke with came out to greet me and the first words out of his mouth were "Thats the new M3 right?" (All i had told him over the phone was my name and that i'd be pulling up in a dark gray BMW).

I told him yes it was and he asked me what all i had done to it because it didnt sound or look stock so after a quick walk through on my mods (including me opening it up so he could see the interior) i politely reminded him i was there to check out and test drive the CTS-V Coupe. He explained to me that they only had 1 on the lot and his Sales Manager was driving it.

We walked inside to speak with his sales manager explained what was going on and the Sales Manager asked if i would be trading in my M3 and i told him I would. He then asked if he could see it, i agreed thinking he was doing a pre-inspection/appraisal. After looking my car up and down he said something that totally shocked me he asked me "Why would you trade this in?" after recovering from the shock of the question i told him the truth that i simply could not afford a purchase note on two $70k cars...

He then shocked me again by asking me to come into his office where he proceeded to show me the video comparing the Audi RS5, CTS-V Coupe and the M3 Comp package in Germany LOL! I stopped him and explained that i had indeed seen this video at which point he asked me again then why would you want to trade in your M3 on the CTS-V?
He then said if i was really set on it we could go test drive the one he had but he told me he didnt think i would like it as it was a much heavier car and felt more like the M6 he used to have especially in corners.

It was at this point that i shook both mens hands and thanked them for thier time and thier honesty and left the dealership feeling a bit perplexed (I have NEVER been un-sold a car by a dealer before LOL) but at the same time feeling great in that although my car is now 2 years old I was still driving one of the best damn driving machine on the road today, PERIOD.

Pretty crazy story i know but 100% TRUE.

-Mike

OLD - 2008 Sparkling Graphite DCT e92
Rpi Scoops/Dinan Intake/DinanECUtune/DinanPulley/DinanExhaust/DinanStg 2 Suspension/Plus some cosmetic mods *SOLD*
NEW- 2011 Black Saphire 550i Sport (Some cosmetic mods/Dinan mods soon)
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2010, 10:16 AM   #2
brava09
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M4C xdrive

they are soooo right!!!
11 Audi RS5 Misano Red--sold
08 E92 M3 Jerez Black 6MT--sold
08 E92 335i 6MT traded in for M3
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2010, 10:25 AM   #3
Brosef
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

is this Russia?
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2010, 10:30 AM   #4
Kyoshi71
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 M3 Coupe

Based on the story, GM's stock quote shouldn't surprise anyone.
Attached Images

2010 E92 M3|Silverstone II|M-DCT|NCSW|2MT|ZCW|ZPP|ZTP|302|507|Gas Guzzler Tax

Last edited by Kyoshi71; 08-23-2010 at 10:40 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2010, 12:08 PM   #5
Tak555
Private
Rep
Drives: 2004 M3

maybe they thought that you just wanted to take it out for a spin, and that there's no way that you'd actually consider trading your m3 for a cts-v coupe. basically, they didn't think you were serious about buying the car, just seeing what it was like to drive it... just a thought
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2010, 12:28 PM   #6
stevehifi
Captain
Rep
Drives: 17 F80 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak555 View Post
maybe they thought that you just wanted to take it out for a spin, and that there's no way that you'd actually consider trading your m3 for a cts-v coupe. basically, they didn't think you were serious about buying the car, just seeing what it was like to drive it... just a thought
That's exactly what happened, the sales guys sized you up in 5 seconds and knew based on your car and mods that you were just a tire kicker.

If I was the sales guy I would of probably asked you a couple more questions and politely sent you on your way.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2010, 12:46 PM   #7
Golgothar
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevehifi View Post
That's exactly what happened, the sales guys sized you up in 5 seconds and knew based on your car and mods that you were just a tire kicker.

If I was the sales guy I would of probably asked you a couple more questions and politely sent you on your way.
Sorry but that's a TERRIBLE answer.

All you'd have to do is look at my posts in the SW section or ask any of the Houston M3 guys and they'd tell you that i have been seriously considering trading in my M3 on something different (I get bored easily what can i say) and that i am/was seriously interested in the CTS-V coupe this wasnt just me going to "kick the tires" after all i could mod the CTS-V to go faster/handle better as well right???

Maybe, just maybe i actually encountered the rarest of rares...a truthful salesperson!

P.S. - I didnt post this thread as a "Bash Caddy" thread I was simply sharing my experience and the car i was going to test drive just so happened to be the 2011CTS-V Coupe. I love my M3 but i dont think it's the end all be all of cars I am open to new vehicles.

Rpi Scoops/Dinan Intake/DinanECUtune/DinanPulley/DinanExhaust/DinanStg 2 Suspension/Plus some cosmetic mods *SOLD*

Last edited by Golgothar; 08-23-2010 at 01:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2010, 09:37 PM   #8
shchow
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 CTS-V sedan, black raven

Quote:
Originally Posted by stingray23 View Post
unbelievable! If those clowns were working for me, they'd be fired yesterday. What morons.
On the contrary, they made the OP feel great about his car after sizing him up as someone with no true interest in purchase, and got him to leave without wasting everyones time...
      08-24-2010, 01:53 AM   #9
kaykay
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 ZCP

Garage List
Wow @ this story.

GM is a failed, pathetic excuse for an automotive company and it's embarrassing that the idiot we have in office bailed them out when they should have just gone under.

Companies fail for a reason - when they make garbage products, have failed leadership and don't listen to customers' needs and wants. If you make shit, you'll go bankrupt, that's business.

If every company got bailed out and continued to make garbage products where would be... Oops, we're there already, how could I forget...

GM used to make great cars, now they make pure shit like the Chevy Volt for $45k. Good luck with that one, guys.

It's still such a pleasure to see a company like Ford succeed in tough economic times, continue to make great American cars, listen to their customers, have sound leadership and bring in good profit.

Cheers to Ford, GM is pure waste.

As is their CTS line.
'08 550i M-Sport, Carbon Black (Gone but not forgotten), '06 W211 E55 AMG (Gone, miss this animal),'01 E39 540i Sport
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2010, 06:37 AM   #10
Kyoshi71
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 M3 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
Wow @ this story.

GM is a failed, pathetic excuse for an automotive company and it's embarrassing that the idiot we have in office bailed them out when they should have just gone under.

Companies fail for a reason - when they make garbage products, have failed leadership and don't listen to customers' needs and wants. If you make shit, you'll go bankrupt, that's business.

If every company got bailed out and continued to make garbage products where would be... Oops, we're there already, how could I forget...

GM used to make great cars, now they make pure shit like the Chevy Volt for $45k. Good luck with that one, guys.

It's still such a pleasure to see a company like Ford succeed in tough economic times, continue to make great American cars, listen to their customers, have sound leadership and bring in good profit.

As is their CTS line.
Holy crap, this post is SPOT ON and could not be stated any better

Let 'em fail. In a free market, inferior products and management lead to closed doors.

I'd like to think that one day some eccentric entrepreneur would create an auto company in the US from scratch and make it really work. No government money, no UAW, no bloated pensions. Americans can do it and now might be the best time considering the Big Three are still getting the standing 8 count.

2010 E92 M3|Silverstone II|M-DCT|NCSW|2MT|ZCW|ZPP|ZTP|302|507|Gas Guzzler Tax
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2010, 08:07 AM   #11
M3Fool
Loves FFDP
Germany
Rep
Drives: 11 E90 M3 SOLD 11 5.0 'Stang

Continuation of the story.........

The sales manager and saleman both walked out on the job and immediately sought employment at the local BMW dealership instead.
      08-24-2010, 10:57 AM   #12
sakimano
Private
Rep
Drives: Audi RS4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golgothar View Post
After looking my car up and down he said something that totally shocked me he asked me "Why would you trade this in?" after recovering from the shock of the question i told him the truth that i simply could not afford a purchase note on two $70k cars...

He then said if i was really set on it we could go test drive the one he had but he told me he didnt think i would like it as it was a much heavier car and felt more like the M6 he used to have especially in corners.

Interesting. I'd ask you the same question!(why trade)

Personally, I think the second part was their way of saying 'please don't waste our time...we know you're here to kick tires and rack joyride miles on our V'

While I'm sure they do indeed love your car, they're also not stupid...they sized you up the second you pulled up. I've had that happen before too...I think your energy as a non-customer is immediately apparent to a seasoned salesperson.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2010, 11:18 AM   #13
SUB-ZERO
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 + Spur, DB11, F12, X5

Honestly, I think the sales people were just being honest. Otherwise, how would they know about the video of the M3 spanking the CTS-V and RS5. Besides, we all know how sales people are and they take advantage of every opportunity to trash talk a competitors car.

Test driving a CTS-V is not like test driving a Gt3 or a Ferrari. Any loser can walk up to a Caddy dealer and test drive one; I've seen it first hand.

The Caddy is however, a great value. But having test driven one last year with my father, I can say that it is no M3. However, when you add the Recaro seat option, it does step it up a bit. I also love the brakes. But it is no M3 and I will never trade my M3 for a Caddy (at least not until they get a new designer...LOL).

The OP mentioned that he wanted to trade because he didn't want the payment for a $70k+ car every month. However, when you consider trading in such a new M3, the negative equity that will be tacked to the CTS-V will only minimally drop the payments at best. When you consider the resale value of a Cadillac, even a CTS-V, I would say that such a decision will probably not make too much financial sense.

The CTS-V was built to compete against the M3. It is a substitute product which while more economical in terms of price, it is also more economical in overall quality and other tangible/intangible attributes.

Yes, the CTS-V hauls ass and handles great. So does an Ariel Atom and I won't trade my M3 in for one.

The only reason why I could see a person who is cross-shopping an M3 and an CTS-V actually getting the CTS-V would be because of the price difference. If it wasn't, why not just get the real thing instead of a substitute product, which, the CTS-V obviously is.

A Frolex can keep time just as good as a Rolex and so can a Timex and a Casio. However, for those who love watches, a Rolex would be the obvious choice....apply the same principle to the M3 vs CTS-V vs Mustang vs every other manufacturer (RS5, IS-F, etc...) trying to develop a product aimed at dethroning the M3.

The great thing is that becuase of companies like Caddy and Audi developing great cars that threaten the BMW customer base, BMW's butt has been lit on fire, therefore, pushing them to make amazing cars even more amazing.

-SZ
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2010, 11:20 AM   #14
a burrito
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Urus, 958.2 TTS, 997 S

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakimano View Post

Personally, I think the second part was their way of saying 'please don't waste our time...we know you're here to kick tires and rack joyride miles on our V'

While I'm sure they do indeed love your car, they're also not stupid...they sized you up the second you pulled up. I've had that happen before too...I think your energy as a non-customer is immediately apparent to a seasoned salesperson.
+1
      08-24-2010, 11:25 AM   #15
xsilvor
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M5

Quote:

All you'd have to do is look at my posts in the SW section or ask any of the Houston M3 guys and they'd tell you that i have been seriously considering trading in my M3 on something different (I get bored easily what can i say) and that i am/was seriously interested in the CTS-V coupe this wasnt just me going to "kick the tires" after all i could mod the CTS-V to go faster/handle better as well right???

Maybe, just maybe i actually encountered the rarest of rares...a truthful salesperson!

P.S. - I didnt post this thread as a "Bash Caddy" thread I was simply sharing my experience and the car i was going to test drive just so happened to be the 2011CTS-V Coupe. I love my M3 but i dont think it's the end all be all of cars I am open to new vehicles.
Its true. He wants one.
2008 E92 M3 DCT (RIP) - Jet Black.Black.Carbon
Dinan, Wheels & Accessories for Sale
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2010, 11:27 AM   #16
DomsZ06
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z06

Quote:

I can vouch for that, he loved my sedan and informed me he was thinking of upgrading.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2010, 11:30 AM   #17
Golgothar
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakimano View Post

I understand your point but I honestly couldnt disagree more.
As I have stated numerous times I am/was truly interested in the CTS-V Coupe since i saw one in person Months ago at the Austin Car Show. Ever since then I have been following the car, reading the articles about it bugging the M club guys here about it (They all screamed dont do it btw lol) and really wanting to test drive one to see if it could be the American car that makes me give up my beemer.
It took several LONG months of waiting (numbers produced were not that high and most were pre-ordered) I FINALLY located one i could test drive and the story I related is what happened.

Sorry but they wasted my time as I was a qualified (Credit Score & Income) potential buying customer. Call me crazy but i am NOT going to jump out of my M3 right into a CTS-V without test driving it first! And as far as racking up miles on it joy riding thier sales manager was driving it and i dont know about you guys but i dont basicaly stalk a car for months to kick it's tires...

Why then if I was so interested did I not push the test drive???
Simple, I personally found it rather telling that the sales people were not too big on thier car/product. I figured if these guys didnt believe in thier product why should I?

You can say what you want/draw you own conclusions I was simply relaying my personal experience. That being said when I go to test drive the other car I'm seriously interested in (2009 911tt) this weekend I HIGHLY doubt they are going to try to talk me out of test driving thier car.

Appreciate 0
      08-24-2010, 11:31 AM   #18
DomsZ06
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
Wow @ this story.

As is their CTS line.
It's idiots like you that give BMW people the "Douch Bag" stereotype.

Cars are cars and companies are companies. You should like a car for the beauty of the car, not some stereotype you come up with. The M3 is a beautiful car,I like the 3 that I know and have seen and I love seeing them on the road. But that being said I didn't buy one because I want hp, the m3 doesnt' have it. The fit and finish of the cts-v is top notch, and I would venture to say it's as good as the m3. But I want hp, and that's why I bought the v. For what you guys pay for midpipes I can get 150hp more to the rear wheels. and then there is more where that came from.

We all love our cars for certain reasons, Mike's is a beautiful M3, and if I wanted a car I couldn't mod and play with I would have bought an m3. Love the cars for the cars, not all the other crap.

Yeah those sales men were idiots.

I have had the same though at audi and bmw dealerships as well as misti. I was looking for a evo, rolled up in toyota and no one would talk to me, I pull up in my z06 and they were all on me like flies on chit. Same happened when I went to the local bmw dealership. I show up with my beater and they wouldn't even talk to me, show up with my s5 and they wouldn't leave me alone.

It's all about stereotypes. xsilver has a story maybe he can chime in about porsche dealers.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2010, 12:49 PM   #19
DefBringer
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 335i coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak555 View Post
agreed 100%

I wouldn't have let you test drive either, and I very briefly sold cars to pay my way through college.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2010, 01:05 PM   #20
DomsZ06
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DefBringer View Post
agreed 100%

I wouldn't have let you test drive either, and I very briefly sold cars to pay my way through college.
even when he pulls up in a m3?

When I pulled up in my beater no one let me drive, but when I pulled up dressed nice in a z, i could drive anything, including an R8....
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2010, 03:00 PM   #21
xsilvor
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DefBringer View Post
agreed 100%

Then you wouldn't have made a sale on a $70M vehicle. Sucks.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2010, 03:02 PM   #22
xsilvor
Captain
United_States
Rep

Mike,

Did did you pressure them much to let you drive the car before you left? Which dealer was it? I basically got forced in to a CTS-V sedan last time I was at a caddy dealer And I was driving my old IS300!
Appreciate 0