BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

Mporium BMW

07-28-2010, 02:01 AM   #23
ghosthi32
Banned
Rep
Drives: Water camel

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxs65xx View Post
corvette owners and mustang owners are in their own worlds
so are m3 owners since they have no friends
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2010, 02:04 AM   #24
N8dawg
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

To the OP,

1/4 Mile: 12.7
60-0: 104 ft
Lateral acceleration: 0.99 g
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2010, 02:05 AM   #25
richardbb85
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: e92 m3

i actually like the styling of the new mustang, but i just can't see myself driving one.
      07-28-2010, 02:39 AM   #26
M3Fool
Loves FFDP
Germany
Rep
Drives: 11 E90 M3 SOLD 11 5.0 'Stang

I do love the Mustang........ great bang for the buck. I love the Challenger as well and the Camaro is ok. BUT.......... because they are so affordable, everyone and their mothers dog drives one. The same will be true about the GT 5.0. It maybe faster in a straight line, but it is a one dimensional car and good for straight line performance. If that is what you are looking for, the best 0-60 and 1/4 mile times, then look no further. But if you want a car that is not acceccessable to everyone and encompasses the entire driving experience then for the money, nothing beats the M3 in its price range. I just came out of a Challenger, and the "look at me" WOW factor was cool. The pull off the line was great. It is just a cool car......... but not much more.

I feel the M3 is for people that wanted to graduate to higher level of performance.... for people that as they got older decided that there is more to driving than 10-13 seconds in a straight line...... people that want to push the envelope a little harder... safer. American Muscle cars such as the Mustang would be better suited being compared to the C63 AMG which is all about brute force, not so much about performance.
      07-28-2010, 03:45 AM   #27
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

My 21yo neighbor just bought one, no thanks!

I'm not a big faN on how they looked wrecked either.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2010, 04:08 AM   #28
Templar
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [10.00]
I just don't like Ford in general... It is more political for me I guess. I mean I know people have had issues with their BMW's as well, but I feel BMW puts out a better quality product than Ford does. Ford just mass produces as best they can to get as much money as they can regardless of how quality their product actually is. Why do you think foreign car companies have surpassed American made companies in the last few years (at least until the Toyota brake fiasco)? Better quality at a lower price... Not only was Ford and GM pumping out poor quality products, they were charging people MORE for that garbage.

No thank you...

Now as far as the car goes, the Mustang is a nice machine. It is mean looking, and it can definitely perform. The interior could be a bit better IMHO. Personally, Mustang owners can be just as arrogant as BMW owners I think. One of my friend owns a V6 (crap) Mustang, bought it simply because it is a "Mustang" even though personally I don't even think it deserves the name unless it's a GT... He made fun of me because I drove a 2002 Eclipse GT (which happens to have a V6 as well), even though my car could smoke his any day of the week. He said I drove a girl car. Now I don't deny the fact that the Eclipse doesn't scream agression, but his V6 Mustang is just as bad, if not worse because it's fake, haha...
      07-28-2010, 04:15 AM   #29
M3Fool
Loves FFDP
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Templar View Post
I just don't like Ford in general... It is more political for me I guess. I mean I know people have had issues with their BMW's as well, but I feel BMW puts out a better quality product than Ford does. Ford just mass produces as best they can to get as much money as they can regardless of how quality their product actually is. Why do you think foreign car companies have surpassed American made companies in the last few years (at least until the Toyota brake fiasco)? Better quality at a lower price... Not only was Ford and GM pumping out poor quality products, they were charging people MORE for that garbage.

No thank you...

Now as far as the car goes, the Mustang is a nice machine. It is mean looking, and it can definitely perform. The interior could be a bit better IMHO. Personally, Mustang owners can be just as arrogant as BMW owners I think. One of my friend owns a V6 (crap) Mustang, bought it simply because it is a "Mustang" even though personally I don't even think it deserves the name unless it's a GT... He made fun of me because I drove a 2002 Eclipse GT (which happens to have a V6 as well), even though my car could smoke his any day of the week. He said I drove a girl car. Now I don't deny the fact that the Eclipse doesn't scream agression, but his V6 Mustang is just as bad, if not worse because it's fake, haha...

HAHAHA Good post....... difference between a PONY car (v6) and a Muscle car (V8)

But seriously.... isnt this comparrison like Ferrari owners comparring their cars to M3's??? 2 completely different class of car.
      07-28-2010, 04:26 AM   #30
Templar
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Fool View Post
HAHAHA Good post....... difference between a PONY car (v6) and a Muscle car (V8)

But seriously.... isnt this comparrison like Ferrari owners comparring their cars to M3's??? 2 completely different class of car.
Yep, gotta agree with you. Two completely different classes.

Not much gained by comparing the two. Performance wise, sure they are similar in some aspects. However the BMW is a different class than the Ford, bottom line.

Plus, now I can REALLY make fun of my friend with his "Pony" car lol...
      07-28-2010, 06:33 AM   #31
elh0102
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Nice Guy Beck! View Post
but it does piss me off that my car was 70 grand and has shitty torque and a 30k ford has more........
You can buy a used Camaro or Mustang and, for a total investment of under $20K have a car that will blow the doors off the either the new Mustang or M3. Not sure where that perspective leads.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2010, 07:32 AM   #32
M3Fool
Loves FFDP
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Nice Guy Beck! View Post
for what my payment is for my m3 i could have leased 4 civics and started my own race team

I really get the impression that you dont like your M???? You are always bitchin about something with your car. Sell it and buy a Mustang
      07-28-2010, 08:16 AM   #33
alpineweissM3
I love my beautiful wife!
Rep
Drives: e90 ///M

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLoven View Post
It can't be anywhere near as good as my 1990 5.0 GT was. That thing was a BEAST!

I had an '87 GT in high school!

If I didn't have 2 boys and "needed" a sedan, a new blue 5.0 GT would be in my garage.

Don't get me wrong, I love my ///M, but Mustangs have always held a special place in my heart!
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2010, 03:08 PM   #34
Frozen Black Panther
Captain
Albania
Rep
Drives: 2013 550 DINAN STAGE 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Fool View Post
I really get the impression that you dont like your M???? You are always bitchin about something with your car. Sell it and buy a Mustang
love my car but for what it is they could have beef'd it up to really blow away the competition just like they did with their super bike that basically kills all the jap bikes.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2010, 10:23 PM   #35
Scoobe
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 Sedan SSII/SN/DCT

Garage List
2011 E90 M3  [10.00]
It's a 32k base price car with 418hp. You're expecting extended leather and carbon fiber trim and appalled by plastic parts? Ford didn't make this car with a lux interior in mind. It's a muscle car, with raw brute force HP/Torque, lightweight (5.0 is lighter than the 4.0 in the M3), bang for the buck. It's made for people who want a really fun and powerful car without a 2nd mortgage on their house. And coming in considerably cheaper than the Camaro SS/RT8 Challenger there is going to be a lot of them on the road. Bottom line, success for Ford.

If you want to compare the M3 to a Mustang, choose the GT500. The 2011 is going to be a beast with comparable, if not better track times than an M3, better straight line accelleration, and an optional competition package with semi-slicks stock. Goodyear is making specific Supercar G2 tires just for that car. And even that will be less than the M3 in price. It has carbon fiber trim, Shelby gauges and shifter, leather wrapped steering wheel and dash cover. Much better interior. Still not as fancy as the M3, but outside of that you're going to have a helluva lot more car.

I own both, and I love them both. If my finances were better, I'd get rid of my more rare 08 GT500 and get a 2011 competition package hardtop in a heartbeat.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2010, 01:01 AM   #36
mtla4
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Turbo Festiva

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobe View Post
It's a 32k base price car with 418hp. You're expecting extended leather and carbon fiber trim and appalled by plastic parts? Ford didn't make this car with a lux interior in mind. It's a muscle car, with raw brute force HP/Torque, lightweight (5.0 is lighter than the 4.0 in the M3), bang for the buck. It's made for people who want a really fun and powerful car without a 2nd mortgage on their house. And coming in considerably cheaper than the Camaro SS/RT8 Challenger there is going to be a lot of them on the road. Bottom line, success for Ford.

If you want to compare the M3 to a Mustang, choose the GT500. The 2011 is going to be a beast with comparable, if not better track times than an M3, better straight line accelleration, and an optional competition package with semi-slicks stock. Goodyear is making specific Supercar G2 tires just for that car. And even that will be less than the M3 in price. It has carbon fiber trim, Shelby gauges and shifter, leather wrapped steering wheel and dash cover. Much better interior. Still not as fancy as the M3, but outside of that you're going to have a helluva lot more car.

I own both, and I love them both. If my finances were better, I'd get rid of my more rare 08 GT500 and get a 2011 competition package hardtop in a heartbeat.
Finances are pretty good from your stable LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severious View Post
Its because a lot of BMW owners are housewives or business professionals and know little about cars other than BMW's are a status symbol in their own circles so that have to have one. But exotic car owners know cars, that's why they are willing to spend for a killer car and they know something different when they see one.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2010, 01:26 AM   #37
M3Fool
Loves FFDP
Germany
Rep

Well I just drove my first one. A buddy of mine just picked up a bare bones white 5.0. Plans on using it for drag racing, thus the bare bones. The interior looks ok, but he got cloth so I cannot say anything about the leather. The cloth however was nicer than my Challengers. The exhaust note is superb............. 140 limiter though.... that is shitty. Exterior fit and finish looks nice, not to many gaps and most of the gaps it does have are evenly spaced. The guages and dials are large and easy to read, kinda retro looking with a futuristic flare. The Shift knob is very low and throw is very short. It will spin the tires with Traction control on with no issue and little pressure on the gas....... turn the Traction control off.......... better know how to counter steer. He paid 31 and some change for it and I must say it is truly the best bang for your buck out there. Not A+ quality materials, but for the price probably top in its class (Sat in a camaro yesterday.... FUGLY plastic transformer car) and i owned a Challenger so i do have a basis for comparrison. With minor bolt on mods and a tune, he will dyno at well over 500 hp and 480 torque...... add a supercharger 550-600 EASY!!! I will not make the mistake of racing him light to light, as i WILL lose. Top end autobahn..... I will pass eventually, but it will be a fight up to 140.

My review!!!
      07-29-2010, 02:43 PM   #38
Blotman
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 08 E90 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Templar View Post
Hate to break it to your friend, but most Mustang drivers around where I live are women. Not just V6 Mustangs either. The full-on Mustang GT's where you're almost certain would be driven by some dude... is driven by some Barbie blonde chick in her stunna shades. Not that there's anything wrong with that, as I think it's kinda hot, but it's gonna take quite a bit to readjust my attitude that a Mustang is anything but guy's car.

Last edited by Blotman; 07-29-2010 at 02:55 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2010, 02:49 PM   #39
Trier Germany
Banned
Luxembourg
Rep
Drives: 2009 E-90 M3 space gray

Check out 2:50 on the above VID this Saleen mustang get smoked by a VW Bus at the hockenheim ring
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2010, 03:05 PM   #40
SUB-ZERO
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 + Spur, DB11, F12, X5

I don't think many people will cross-shop these two cars. Two different types of cars for two different types of car enthusiasts.

Apples and Oranges.

-SZ
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2010, 04:23 PM   #41
Scoobe
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 Sedan SSII/SN/DCT

Garage List
2011 E90 M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trier Germany View Post

Check out 2:50 on the above VID this Saleen mustang get smoked by a VW Bus at the hockenheim ring
Yeah that guy is driving like I drive to work. Wouldn't exactly call that a Saleen getting "smoked" if the driver isn't pushing the car.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2010, 08:23 PM   #42
Zeus69
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUB-ZERO View Post
I don't think many people will cross-shop these two cars. Two different types of cars for two different types of car enthusiasts.

Apples and Oranges.

-SZ
For the most part, you're right. I admit to having traces of car snob in me (as do many others on this forum), but I have no problem with who else is driving a particular car on the road... If I find a specific car appealling for any number of reasons and make up excuses just to get in and drive, that's good enough

On paper, the Mustang GT is very appealling. I'd definitely take a critical look and drive. My issue is that I really wanted a sedan, so no option there. Since I like manual trannys, I would have looked forward to testing the Ford's 6MT, given all the great things I've read about it...

To be clear, I have NO buyer's remorse for my M3. I LOVE it! But hey, props to Ford for coming out with a great car ... Maybe when my lease is up
      07-29-2010, 09:58 PM   #43
xxs65xx
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '08 M3...SOLD

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUB-ZERO View Post

Apples and Oranges.

-SZ
on point
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2010, 11:01 PM   #44
Trier Germany
Banned
Luxembourg
Rep
Drives: 2009 E-90 M3 space gray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobe View Post
Yeah that guy is driving like I drive to work. Wouldn't exactly call that a Saleen getting "smoked" if the driver isn't pushing the car.
I just wanted to comment on the stangs handling capabilities and most stang drivers cannot drive period!
Appreciate 0