BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

BPM

12-29-2006, 06:14 PM   #1
hhkim
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 335d

Garage List
2006 325xi  [0.00]
I got Owned by the popo

I am terribly sad right now.

I was driving to my friends house and theres this one stretch of road that is recently paved and so nice and straight that I decided to push the car. It was 9 30 pm. Usually theres no cops on that road, but apparently yesterday there was 1 cruiser just sittin; whether it be because it was end of month so they had to fill their quotas or whatever, I got to 80 and I saw the ugly ass police interceptor and was like S$%@! So I pulled over, and got a ticket for going 70 in a 30 mph zone. Stupid me. 5 pts on my license. Anyone know what to say to the judge when i go to court so that he can lessen my points/fine? Thanks.

Kevin :mad:
      12-29-2006, 06:25 PM   #2
Chesmu
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X6

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
"I'm terribly sorry."
      12-29-2006, 06:25 PM   #3
teknochild
Your resident 4um troll
Rep
Drives: 335 coupe

doesnt your state have the school option, in florida you can take the 4 hour school once a year, online and the points are not added to your license (and your insurance cant use the ticket against you, infact your insurance will probably go down because it even counts toward a 10% discount LOL )

if not, if you have a clean record obviously emphasis that, tell him while its no excuse its a new car and your curiosity got the best of you ect ect, again its no excuse but it was late no one was on the raod, it was striaght and recently paved, tell him that even though you dont think you should have done that even in those conditions you CERTAINTLY would not have if there were other drivers present and the conditions were low ect ect

be nice, that goes a long way, your honor, sir bla bla bla

i know also in florida even if you have exausted your school that year the judge will throw you in a 12 hour course if your really nice (which is like another 200$ and you actually have to go sit in a class) to keep the points off and keep it off your insurance
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2006, 06:36 PM   #4
Fraggy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Yea school is the way to go, fuck pleading to a judge.
2020 M340
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2006, 06:44 PM   #5
teknochild
Your resident 4um troll
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraggy
Yea school is the way to go, fuck pleading to a judge.
yea its only usefull if you already used your school, or worse your approaching your limit on points before your license is suspended, i got the 12 in 12 months and went to the judge and he slapped me in 12 hour school
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2006, 06:45 PM   #6
user1
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 01 330ci; 07 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by hhkim
I am terribly sad right now.

I was driving to my friends house and theres this one stretch of road that is recently paved and so nice and straight that I decided to push the car. It was 9 30 pm. Usually theres no cops on that road, but apparently yesterday there was 1 cruiser just sittin; whether it be because it was end of month so they had to fill their quotas or whatever, I got to 80 and I saw the ugly ass police interceptor and was like S$%@! So I pulled over, and got a ticket for going 70 in a 30 mph zone. Stupid me. 5 pts on my license. Anyone know what to say to the judge when i go to court so that he can lessen my points/fine? Thanks.

Kevin :mad:
You're lucky you arent in my state. After 25mph over the speed limit the police can take your license on the spot (to the discretion of the officer). At a certain point excessive speed can constitute felony speeding. I hope 40MPH over the limit isn’t enough to get that in your state. I don’t think there is much to say to a judge if you were going over double the speed limit. My advice, get a good lawyer and hope for the best. At what point level do they suspend your license? Good luck

"I got Owned by the popo"
I’ve been curious, I’m not that old but I don’t fully understand the use of Owned (used in that context and capitalized) in the title. Is it similar to the use of the word "served" in that teen movie, You got served?
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2006, 06:49 PM   #7
teknochild
Your resident 4um troll
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by user1

"I got Owned by the popo"
I’ve been curious, I’m not that old but I don’t fully understand the use of Owned (use in that context and capitalized) in the title. Is it similar to the use of the word "served" in that teen movie, You got served?

yea basically, its kinda like i kicked your ass so i own you now, so owned, or pwned, the p key is right next to the o key and noobs that are really excited tend to overshoot the o key and hit the p key, and it caught on in regualr usage as a joke, kinda like OMG and zOMG (the z key is next to the shift key, people accidently hit it... )

but thats way in depth

just think of owned as i kicked your ass or got my ass kicked by x person

oh an i thought it was 30 over, 40! yea your going to have a hard time
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2006, 06:51 PM   #8
user1
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by teknochild
yea basically, its kinda like i kicked your ass so i own you now, so owned, or pwned, the p key is right next to the o key and noobs that are really excited tend to overshoot the o key and hit the p key, and it caught on in regualr usage as a joke, kinda like OMG and zOMG (the z key is next to the shift key, people accidently hit it... )

but thats way in depth

just think of owned as i kicked your ass or got my ass kicked by x person
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2006, 07:11 PM   #9
dmboone25
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2024 Golf R / 2022 718 Spyder

Garage List
2007 E92 328i  [10.00]
2007 328i  [10.00]
At what point level do they suspend your license? Good luck

In Indiana--you need 12 points for suspension, but i have heard of people having many more than this and still being able to drive. 5 is really not too many--I think the average ticket (from personal experience) is 2-4 points, so it should not be that bad. As others have said--try to get traffic school, if they won't give you that over the phone, then getting a good lawyer might be worth it. It might cost you the same or a little more in the long run, but at least you will have less points on your license.
      12-29-2006, 07:27 PM   #10
ex-poster
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2000 328, 2006 330

If you can at all afford one (and hey, you own a BWM so that shouldn't be a problem, right? :^)), get a traffic lawyer. Should be right in the yellow pages.

Things vary WIDELY from state to state, so take what you see on this forum with a grain of salt.

The lawyer will take in the ballpark of $500 from ya, but I'd expect a world of options to open up to you once you pay the fee.

As you might guess, I've had good experiences in this area, the guy was very informative and let me know what my options were - and the plusses and minuses - at every step.

It wasn't free, but it was worth it.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2006, 07:36 PM   #11
teknochild
Your resident 4um troll
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmboone25
At what point level do they suspend your license? Good luck

In Indiana--you need 12 points for suspension, but i have heard of people having many more than this and still being able to drive. 5 is really not too many--I think the average ticket (from personal experience) is 2-4 points, so it should not be that bad. As others have said--try to get traffic school, if they won't give you that over the phone, then getting a good lawyer might be worth it. It might cost you the same or a little more in the long run, but at least you will have less points on your license.

in florida im pretty sure anything below 25mph over is 3 points 25-35 is 4 points and anything above 35 is 5 points and they officer can suspend your license and haul your ass to jail
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2006, 08:05 PM   #12
2007/335i/coupe
Falling in Love with German Boost
Rep
Drives: 335i, E350, Accord EX, GSXR750

Garage List
You got 5pts from that one incident or you already have 5pts?
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2006, 10:50 PM   #13
hhkim
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 325xi  [0.00]
Clarification:

I got 5 points for that one ticket. Sucks. haha my fines also like 500 dollars plus.... ouch, but I am definitely going to check out the traffic lawyer and let you know how it goes.
      12-29-2006, 10:55 PM   #14
Pink
Hello
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 JB/Beige

Quote:
Clarification:

I got 5 points for that one ticket. Sucks. haha my fines also like 500 dollars plus.... ouch, but I am definitely going to check out the traffic lawyer and let you know how it goes.
Don't fight it alone. Get a lawyer. You don't want the ripple to take effect.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2006, 02:51 AM   #15
user1
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Clarification:

Look at the big picture... 500 bucks is nothing. Just wait until you get your new insurance premium for the next few years. Those points/that ticket will cost you a lot more than a measly $500.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2006, 03:20 AM   #16
wnston1127
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 e92 328i

how many cops were there?
if there was only 1, you shouldn't of said anything
usually if theres 1 cop, they ask you either:
1) do you know how fast you were going
2) do you know why I pulled you over
most cases most people would say they were speeding and that theyre sorry and that's where they get us, if theres only one cop, its there word against yours, so they can't ticket you unless you admit to it, hence why they ask you those questions first. if there are two cops however, one of them counts as a "witness" so they don't need to get you to admit to it, they can just ticket you without any problems
so if there was only 1 cop, you can try to deny it in court if you've got the balls
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2006, 03:53 AM   #17
user1
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnston1127
how many cops were there?
if there was only 1, you shouldn't of said anything
usually if theres 1 cop, they ask you either:
1) do you know how fast you were going
2) do you know why I pulled you over
most cases most people would say they were speeding and that theyre sorry and that's where they get us, if theres only one cop, its there word against yours, so they can't ticket you unless you admit to it, hence why they ask you those questions first. if there are two cops however, one of them counts as a "witness" so they don't need to get you to admit to it, they can just ticket you without any problems
so if there was only 1 cop, you can try to deny it in court if you've got the balls
Thats not how it works in the US. You can be ticketed for anything - a ticket isn’t an admission of guilt. So not saying anything doesn’t mean the officer will just have to walk away without ticketing.

There are many ways an officer can prove speeding including radar/laser, pacing, dash cam, etc. An officer doesnt need you to admit anything. The reason an officer asks those questions is to set a tone, see if you admit to something other than the infraction ("you pulled me over because of the dead body in my trunk") and to begin informing the speeder of his infraction. Asking the question is not to try and trap the person. Admitting speeding isnt enough for a ticket to hold up against a good lawyer in court.

In fact being polite and answering the questions makes it more likely the officer will give you a warning or reduce the ticket.

As an officer they are under oath to tell the truth and, as such, the court will always believe an officer over a civilian unless the civilian brings proof. The officer doesnt need a witness (another officer present at the scene).

hhkim, if you are going to fight it or even want to know all your options you have in your city, get a lawyer. Dont take legal advice from people online.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2006, 03:55 AM   #18
RaptorKTM
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1 M Coupe

Garage List
2011 BMW 1 M  [0.00]
i dont think there is much you can do. you were going way to far over the speed limit to be legible for traffic school i think.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2006, 05:33 AM   #19
wnston1127
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 e92 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by user1
Thats not how it works in the US. You can be ticketed for anything - a ticket isn’t an admission of guilt. So not saying anything doesn’t mean the officer will just have to walk away without ticketing.

There are many ways an officer can prove speeding including radar/laser, pacing, dash cam, etc. An officer doesnt need you to admit anything. The reason an officer asks those questions is to set a tone, see if you admit to something other than the infraction ("you pulled me over because of the dead body in my trunk") and to begin informing the speeder of his infraction. Asking the question is not to try and trap the person. Admitting speeding isnt enough for a ticket to hold up against a good lawyer in court.

In fact being polite and answering the questions makes it more likely the officer will give you a warning or reduce the ticket.

As an officer they are under oath to tell the truth and, as such, the court will always believe an officer over a civilian unless the civilian brings proof. The officer doesnt need a witness (another officer present at the scene).

hhkim, if you are going to fight it or even want to know all your options you have in your city, get a lawyer. Dont take legal advice from people online.

lol, well up here in canada, during the few weeks when we're not covered in snow, and i happen to get pulled over by just one officer, I keep quite, answer his questions with I'm not quite sure, I get stared down for a couple of seconds but in the end they just walk away
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2006, 09:42 AM   #20
hhkim
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 325xi  [0.00]
Yea, my friend is hooking me up with his lawyer who got him out of a 170 in a 65 somehow so I'll talk to him and let you know.
      12-30-2006, 11:01 AM   #21
SE3P_to_E90
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 Msport + E83 Msport

there's a LOT of benefits from getting a lawyer. It's relatively easy -- just go to court (wayy before your court date), and you'll see PLENTY of lawyers walking around...

Lots of benefits come from hiring a lawyer -- b/c they have this bond w/ the goddamn judge b/c they frequent the courtroom soo much. I mean, it's a hefty lawyer bill to pay, however, you dont' have to worry about it anymore either.

Price is high for the peace of mind... lastly, when i got my lawyers, all my speedings went to pointless tickets, ie--90mph in 55mph turned into failure to yield, and my 120mph in 55mph (out of state) turned into some stupid moving violation -- but not a speeding violation.

just my 2 cents.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2006, 02:15 PM   #22
flush01
Major
Rep
Drives: 33m@%#ing5

never pay the ticket, never plea guilty, always reschedule court dates, you didn't do it, get a nice lawyer and you'll be alright....
Appreciate 0