BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wheels + Tires Sponsored by The Tire Rack
  TireRack

KEEP M3POST ALIVE BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER LINK!

12-02-2011, 06:00 PM   #23
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

i too run hot on my ad08s at about 40, using my ps2s tomorrow at PR and unsure where to start with the cold temps. thought i would shoot for about the same hot temp of 40ish.

02 Tiag e46 M3|6MT|GC plates|MCS c.o.|GC bars|GC race control arms|GC bushings|BW eng. & tran. mounts|subframe kit|BW race shifter|BW Jaffster|Euro header|BW exhaust|K&N c.a.i.|Epic race tune|Rouge pulleys|Seibon CF hood|CSL bumper|apr gt 250 & splitter|ST-40|XR-2|SS lines|half cage|Recaro profi|Profi 2 harness|BMWpedals|BW studs|
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2011, 08:28 PM   #24
ShadeD1
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5 xDrive 35i

This has been my experience as well. I also use tire temp to tell me how I'm driving, the tire with the most work gets hotter. If I'm not balancing the car well I tend to overheat the front tires.

Quote:
Originally Posted by klammer View Post
I run around 40-42 hot on AD08's on track, anything over that and the wheels get a bit greasy on track. Our cars are sooo sensitive to tire pressure that it is really a personal preference thing. Took me a full year of track days (20 events) to really dial this in for me, but man, when you get that right, neutral setup, this car can just take a beating on track. Street driving I usually just add a few PSI as I will NEVER get my tires as hot off track as I will on. In response to those that run really low PSI and still get high hot readings, have heard that under inflating adds more rolling resistance and the like which can heat up the tires faster and hotter than a higher more proper temp. Just like our M's it's about balance and precision, might take some time, but just another way to really learn/know our cars, just another level of connection, enjoy
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2011, 01:34 AM   #25
The Database
Prepare to be virtually punished.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3

I run 35 on the street and 29 on the track.
      12-03-2011, 05:07 AM   #26
LarThaL
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jphughan View Post
You wouldn't have this problem if you used nitrogen rather than air. My dealer filled the tires with nitrogen for free, didn't even have to ask.
You do realize that air is 78% Nitrogen to begin with, right? It contains 21% Oxygen and 1% trace gases of which most is Argon.

Also, since the molecular weights of Nitrogen and Oxygen are very similar, filling a tire with air is only 2.5% denser than filling a tire with pure Nitrogen.

Basically, it makes no difference.
      12-04-2011, 08:42 PM   #27
klammer
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 11 spc gry m3 e90, 19 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by VVG View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jphughan View Post
You wouldn't have this problem if you used nitrogen rather than air. My dealer filled the tires with nitrogen for free, didn't even have to ask.
You do realize that air is 78% Nitrogen to begin with, right? It contains 21% Oxygen and 1% trace gases of which most is Argon.

Also, since the molecular weights of Nitrogen and Oxygen are very similar, filling a tire with air is only 2.5% denser than filling a tire with pure Nitrogen.

Basically, it makes no difference.
Yeah... But it goes to 11....
      12-04-2011, 09:17 PM   #28
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

i ran 35 cold yesterday and am finding that my rears are heating up much more now then my fronts due to the brake ducts i put in they blow both on the tire and back side of the rotor. i now have to run cold temps higher in the front then the rear which is the opposite of in the past. also chalked my tires yesterday to get a better read on what the tire is doing.

02 Tiag e46 M3|6MT|GC plates|MCS c.o.|GC bars|GC race control arms|GC bushings|BW eng. & tran. mounts|subframe kit|BW race shifter|BW Jaffster|Euro header|BW exhaust|K&N c.a.i.|Epic race tune|Rouge pulleys|Seibon CF hood|CSL bumper|apr gt 250 & splitter|ST-40|XR-2|SS lines|half cage|Recaro profi|Profi 2 harness|BMWpedals|BW studs|
Appreciate 0