BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

European Auto Source (EAS)

03-24-2008, 04:15 PM   #1
booforty
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2008 E92 M3  [0.00]
I test drove the M3

Our eyes met across the parling lot... Her front air dam met with my mezmerising gaze and I couldn't take my eyes off her bonnet hump either. I ran towards her in slow motion... It was like an episode of Baywatch. We lept into each others arms. I couldn't take my hands off her. She had bulges everywhere and a beautiful carbon fibre hat on... She had four rear pipes and that was a good sign in my eyes...

Yes, I finally got to test drive the new M3 What a beast!!

I only had a 30 mins blast with the dealer, but it was great fun! The car was a second hand 57 plate with 4,500 miles on the clock in Silverstone II clothing and black leather upholstery with the carbon-fibre look interior finish.

From the outside, she looked stunning in the flesh. The Silverstone II colour really shows off the lines of the M3 and the carbon-fibre roof. Its certainly a colour I would go for. The dealer moved the car out of the parking lot and I remained outside the car to listen to the V8 come to life and hum warmly and powerfully. What a great sound, even at idle!

Now it was my turn to sit in the driver's seat. I adjusted the comfortable body hugging sport seats and adjusted the mirrors. I scanned the dashboard to gain some familiarity and I noticed that its almost identical to my E90. The main difference was some buttons next to the gear shift, which said "Power", "EDC" and "DSC off". I would have a play with those later...

I liked the interior of the M3. The leather and carbon-fibre looking trim was of high quality and the steering wheel was nice and fat with M coloured stitching. My only dislike was the gear shifter which is too long for my liking particularly as I'm used to the small short shifter I installed in my E90. Nothing a quick mod can't fix though!

I powered her up and switched the side lights on. I dabbled the throttle and she purred like a new born kitten in the palm of my hand. However, soon this kitten would be a full fledged tiger in my hand!! The sound of that V8 is better than listening to the London Symphony Orchestra in E minor anyday of the week.

I checked my mirrors and pulled away, the noise of the V8 even at low revs made the hairs on the back of my neck stand up on end. I couldn't stop smiling! I pulled onto a clear stretch of dual carriageway and let her rip and the acceleration was epic. I thought the 335i twin-turbo was quick but this is a different league. Its certainly the quickest car I've ever driven by a mile.

We joined the motorway so I could have a blast at high speed for a couple of junctions (within the speed limits of course) and the drive and acceleration in all gears is effortless. Even in 6th, the car just wants to pull away.

We came off the motorway for a drive along some quieter dual carriageways and b roads. As we filtered off, I pressed the "M Power" button and set the EDC to "Sport". As soon as I pressed the "M Power" button I felt a slight nudge in my back and all of a sudden this totally epic and powerful Tiger I was trying to tame became a full on angry Lion! The car came alive and was even more responsive. I don't know how to describe the difference and I'm not entirely sure what the M Power button does but there was a noticeable increase in performance, power and engine noise. Oh and fuel consumption drops considerably!!

I took some corners along the b lanes at a fair speed to see how this baby handled and she was stunning. She hugged the road like a sleeping policeman. I even found I was able to accelerate through the corners. Not just out of the corners but through the corners! The handling is perfection, perfectly balanced, poised and plenty of grip. I can't wait to take one of these things around the Nordscheilfe!

Just before we got back to the dealers I stopped at a red light. I was at the front with a clear dual carriageway ahead. I pressed the "M Power" button again for one last blast and as the lights turned green I opened her up and the car noticebly slid from side to side as the car attempted to plant all 420 horses down onto the tarmac. Thank god for DSC as it certainly kept the car pointing forwards! The amount of power available is just incredible!!

I've got a good relationship with my dealer. He's a friend of the family and went to school with my Dad and did me a cracking deal on my E90. I told him that I was very interested in a used M3 but not at the current prices. I told him my budget and said that if he can find a used M3 within that budget, I would buy. I got the feeling in the dealers that morning that times are starting to get tough for car salesmen. The orders are not coming in as frequent as they were and punters are counting their pennies and saving for a rainy day due to economic uncertainty. I got the feeling that their targets will be harder to hit this year. I also heard some stories from my dealer of a number of cancelled M3 orders. He was very open and honest with me and believes that by the time my E90 comes up for renewal in June, M3 prices will be around my budget and with a bit of squeezing I'm sure I could get a good deal. I'm sure sales will be lagging in the Summer.

The M3 would suit me as I want to change from 4 doors to the 2 door coupe. Also, although I love the 335i, if I bought one I would always wish I got the M3. Finally, I only use a car for pleasure and don't do many mailes so it fits my requirements of power, performance, sporty looks and still some practicality with regard to carrying passengers and good boot space.

So in summary, I haven't bought one yet, but hopefully the new M3 will be my next car. I told the dealer to call me if an Alpine White or Silvertone II comes up over the next few months within my budget. I'm in no rush to buy and am happy to wait for the right car and right deal to come along. To sum up the new M3, it is absolutely astonishing!
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2008, 04:40 PM   #2
skierman64
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92M3-E46M3-E46Wagon-E89Z4-E36

Garage List
1994 325is Race Car  [0.00]
2011 BMW Z4  [0.00]
1998 M3 Coupe  [0.00]
2008 M3 Coupe  [0.00]
Nice write up, very creative. Thanks for sharing your experience.
      03-24-2008, 11:35 PM   #3
Jack28
HUSTLER
Rep
Drives: E46 M3-E92 M3

Great Write up Man. Thats when Im planning on getting mine in the Summer
so I hope the Price goes down just a little based on the Economy!

Thanks for the write up!

P.S. I see your in London, I have a question regarding the Seats of the Euro M3 compared to the Seats
we get in the States! I have heard the Seats in Euro M3 are different then the M3 Seats in the States!
Is that True? If it is, Whats so Different?

E92 M3 ZCP- AW/FR w/Extended Leather) Packages: ZCP, 6MT, Fully Loaded
E46 M3 - AW/IR 6 Spd, Fully Loaded. 19'' BBS LM DBK, V-CSL C/F Bmpr, Botld, Diff, V-CSL Custum IR-CF Center Counsel, V-GTR Hood, Dixis Ti 76mm, Meisterschaft Ti Sec. 1&2, EvoSport Headers, CAI, D/A Chip, tck d/a, Alcantera Headliner with Imola Red Sttitching....
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2008, 03:57 PM   #4
booforty
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2008 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack28 View Post

Thanks for the write up!

P.S. I see your in London, I have a question regarding the Seats of the Euro M3 compared to the Seats
we get in the States! I have heard the Seats in Euro M3 are different then the M3 Seats in the States!
Hi mate. These are the seats in the Euro M3: http://www.worldcarfans.com/2070716....e92---in-depth

I have no idea if the seats are different for the States
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2008, 03:58 PM   #5
KonigsTiger
Racying Dynamics
Rep
Drives: E92M3 RS46 Club Sport, others

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack28 View Post

Thanks for the write up!

Seats are different but only in that the Euro verson has a seam and the US version does not. See my garage and the pic of the Euro version!
      03-25-2008, 04:21 PM   #6
OzCarfreak
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: Merc / BMW /Audi

I test drove one yesterday, Stunning IB /Palaldin leather/cf trim , but the seating position is just screwed.

Even at its lowest point it still feels like your sitting on the roof , its horrible.

The steering , seat and suspension feel like they are not connected at all. feels like im driving 3 different cars

The strange seating Position just losses it for me im afraid. the seat is too high FFS.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2008, 04:30 PM   #7
KonigsTiger
Racying Dynamics
Rep
Drives: E92M3 RS46 Club Sport, others

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzCarfreak View Post
I test drove one yesterday, Stunning IB /Palaldin leather/cf trim , but the seating position is just screwed.

Even at its lowest point it still feels like your sitting on the roof , its horrible.

The steering , seat and suspension feel like they are not connected at all. feels like im driving 3 different cars

The strange seating Position just losses it for me im afraid. the seat is too high FFS.
Strange, never ever thought the seats are too high!!! Oh well, to each his own. But as far as I am concerned, they go low enough to have excellent head clearance and feel the hood of the car rather high. I am 6.1 feet tall by the way. Of course, you site lower in a Porsche and even lower in a F430, but the bimmer is fine.
      03-28-2008, 03:17 PM   #8
booforty
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2008 E92 M3  [0.00]
Got another test drive on 5th April! Can't wait!
Appreciate 0