BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

Mporium BMW

12-02-2007, 03:05 PM   #1
Davo2003
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 Coupe Jerez and loaded

Anyone taken delivery without EDC?

I've pretty much decided I will order a "stripper". The only option I am on the fence about is EDC. I had an 06 330i with the Sport Pkg and of course only one suspension setting..."Sport". I loved it. So what I am thinking is if I order EDC, other than as a novelty, I will most likely not switch between the modes. So I am curious if anyone has the standard suspension set up and what is their impression? So far I have decided on the following:
Jet Black with standard cloth/leather trim
Blue gray Brushed Alum Trim
19's
Prem Audio
iPod interface
HD Radio
Moonroof

For what it's worth I will tell you my 06 was custom ordered and loaded, so I got to play with and use many of the options I've left out this time. I will miss CA very much, but don't need it THAT bad.
Previous experiences...

iDrive Interface - Loved it! but can do without it.
NAV - hardly used it.
Blue Tooth compatibility - was cool sometimes, other times annoying due to occasional problems with the car NOT disconnecting from the phone, and the pause of the radio during my favorite song when a call came in....all in all, I won't miss it.
Comfort Access - LOVED IT and will MISS IT!
Leather - was awesome, but I live in a warm climate, won't miss it.
Power Folding Mirrors - cool option and loved it...if it was a stand alone I would have ordered it.
BMW Assist - never used it, I'll get AAA I guess, plus my auto ins has roadside assist.
Heated Seats - seldom used but extremely nice when needed.
Headlight Washers - never used and hated the interruption in the lines of the car/front bumper facia.
Digital Compass - never used
Garage Door Opener - never used and the one time I tried to program it, it didn't work.
Auto dimming mirrors - might miss them

Any experiences you can share with non-EDC M3's would be appreciated.
      12-02-2007, 03:36 PM   #2
guardodoc
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3 e92, 1986 325e 2021 X5 40i

Stripper

Davo, I'm thinking like you. However, do you need to order nav in order to get the premium audio? Or is premium considered standard. As soon as M-DCT is available I'm in.

Last edited by guardodoc; 12-02-2007 at 03:40 PM.. Reason: stupidity
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2007, 03:39 PM   #3
JEllis
Major General
Rep
Drives: E36 M3, E92 M3

I think that if you plan on going with aftermarket Coilovers then there is no reason to get EDC.

However, I would have to have Mdrive for the Sport Steering....

Jason
      12-02-2007, 04:09 PM   #4
Gadgetman
Captain Darren
United_States
Rep
Drives: Canadian Regional Jet 900

If you order 752 Enhanced Premium Sound, you must order 609 Navigation System or ZTP Technology Package.

Might as well through out the Premium Sound. Plus, didnt you like to hear your V8 roar!
2005 BMW E46 M3 TiAg (sold)
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2007, 04:46 PM   #5
Voltigeur
MacroRisk
Australia
Rep
Drives: M3 E92 ED'09 / 335d Sport DD

Quote:
Originally Posted by guardodoc View Post
Davo, I'm thinking like you. However, do you need to order nav in order to get the premium audio? Or is premium considered standard. As soon as M-DCT is available I'm in.
@ Davo - once you added any options over $1K I wouldn't characterize it as a "stripper"

I've been mulling over some of these questions re the M3 at all. I had been trying to persuade myself that a 335i coupe + sport pkg would do, but the more I read the more I think I'll be more gratified by buying a fairly basic M3 and doing less miles (less servicing & other costs) & keep the 540i for some of my daily commute.

@ guardodoc I too think I will wait for M-DCT / "flappy paddles" then be very sparing in my options. EDC .. 19's + base leather + iPod/USB - hmm, be nice also to have Bluetooth for my iPhone (see how hard it is to really get a "stripper" - BMW has us by the short & curlies!) . I haven't decided on sound - isn't the real music the engine?

-- BBB

Just thinking of something not so witty
///M3 E92 '09 Jerez Black | 6MT | Ext Fox Red | Tech | Prem | 19s |Heated Seats | iPod |Smartphone | Euro Deliv June 09
Sold: 540iT / 530i / 323i
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2007, 11:14 PM   #6
Davo2003
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadgetman View Post
If you order 752 Enhanced Premium Sound, you must order 609 Navigation System or ZTP Technology Package.

Might as well through out the Premium Sound. Plus, didnt you like to hear your V8 roar!
Arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...I knew that but when I saw the "O" next to Prem Audio I got all excited, I just looked more closely and saw the NAV ZTP notation. I had seen that on the Euro specs but missed it the other day on the US ordering guide. Dammit. I will probably drop prem audio and HD. Afterall, the base system does still have two subs under the seats ...I'll just boost it up to my desired "thump" level later.
For me it comes down to 8 grand and the ability to resale the vehicle later. In other words, I either want ALL the "stuff" I want on the car, or I want the satisfaction of driving a "stripper" knowing that I saved the 8K and still have a blast driving it. Hope that makes sense.
Another reason I am ordering a stripper is I will more than likely turn the car in 18 months and upgrade. It will be much easier to find a buyer at 55K than 65K I am sure you will agree. The hardest thing for me when I sold my 330i was finding that unique buyer who actually wanted the car equipped the way I ordered it AND was willing to pay for the options because he knew what they were, recognized their value, and knew the original cost. Yes, the M3 is a different machine, and I think resale values will fare better than my 330i , but still...
When I went to try to trade the 330i and upgrade to a 335 (this was a year ago or more) the stealer said it was hard to get back what I put into the car in options. They offered me 32K for it and I sold it to an individual a week later for 37K. But like I said, hard to find buyers sometimes who appreciate how you ordered the car...but you can always find people trying to get behind the wheel "on the cheap". I will leave the car stock, not mess with coil overs etc. So from what I have read, should be easy to find a purist who wants an M3 minus the hump and minus EDC...planning ahead here lol , time will tell if my logic works on this
      12-03-2007, 06:51 AM   #7
Epacy
Reincarnated
Rep
Drives: 02 Maxima SE

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltigeur View Post
@ Davo - once you added any options over $1K I wouldn't characterize it as a "stripper"

+1
      12-03-2007, 09:19 AM   #8
Keto
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [10.00]
I honestly think a "stripper" will be harder to sell as the average (semi?) high-end car buyer is going to want all the high-end options. I do think that you'd do better on the internet, though, as you will need to market to enthusiasts. Going to the dealer with a used "stripper" to trade in won't make them all that excited and you'll get lowballed. I suspect it will take you longer to sell the car, especially if you want to sell it around the average resale for M3's at that time (adjusted for your lack of options).
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2007, 11:26 AM   #9
ruff
Conspicuous consumption
Rep
Drives: 987 S .2, Lemond Zurich

I am also interested in getting a report on a car minus EDC as well as M drive to see what the differences may be.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2007, 02:48 AM   #10
Davo2003
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruff View Post
I am also interested in getting a report on a car minus EDC as well as M drive to see what the differences may be.
Doesn't look like it is going to happen. Is EDC standard in all the overseas markets?
      12-06-2007, 03:08 AM   #11
Champagne
Second Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Coupé

If you're ordering delivery without EDC, from what I've been reading, you should get your suspension locked in at "normal" EDC setting. Now, from my sad experience, you'll have a hard time going up and down from pavements and such.

Think long and hard before you make your choice.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2007, 05:04 AM   #12
Davo2003
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Champagne View Post
If you're ordering delivery without EDC, from what I've been reading, you should get your suspension locked in at "normal" EDC setting. Now, from my sad experience, you'll have a hard time going up and down from pavements and such.

Thanks for your reply...what does this mean exactly..."you'll have a hard time going up and down from pavements and such."
      12-06-2007, 05:10 AM   #13
RandyB
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '03 330i, '09 M3 Coupe

I would probably only ever use the 'normal' setting anyways, but it's on my list of options to consider. I'll drive one with it first though, and make sure I don't need it.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2007, 05:11 AM   #14
thooooorgal
Private
Rep
Drives: M3 E92 = delivery feb 2008

I think that you forget that edc is not only to choose between harder or softer suspension.

In fact, except in sport mode, the suspension adjust itself automatically following your way of riding, the type of road, ... it's an active system.

I wouldn't buy it without EDC, fearing a big decrease in the resale value.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2007, 06:34 AM   #15
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Champagne View Post
If you're ordering delivery without EDC, from what I've been reading, you should get your suspension locked in at "normal" EDC setting.
Actually the "Normal" EDC setting adjusts the suspension in realtime depending on how you are driving and cornering, so there is no way to get the equivalent on a non-EDC car. From what we know, the non-EDC cars are roughly comparable to an EDC car set to "Sport".

Quote:
Now, from my sad experience, you'll have a hard time going up and down from pavements and such.

So you don't have EDC, right? Are you saying the car sits too low and has clearance issues in some cases? That's interesting, I'd like to hear more. But even if so, that cannot be attributed to lack of EDC since the ride height is not changed with EDC, only the amount of dampening.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2007, 07:35 AM   #16
GarryF
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: SSII E90 M3

When I had a one hour test drive you could instantly feel the change in the suspension pressing the m-button going from comfort to sport, in comfort mode I'd compare it to my E60 with standard suspension, very smooth. Then in sport mode even on good roads you could feel the car judder etc, just feels more raw like a sports car.

I was really impressed with the system, really does give you two cars in one.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2007, 11:21 AM   #17
M3_2010
Private
Rep
Drives: M3 CiC

Quote:
Originally Posted by thooooorgal View Post
I think that you forget that edc is not only to choose between harder or softer suspension.

In fact, except in sport mode, the suspension adjust itself automatically following your way of riding, the type of road, ... it's an active system.

I wouldn't buy it without EDC, fearing a big decrease in the resale value.
M3's have poor resale value in general..... specially the coupe.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2007, 11:50 AM   #18
Keto
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3_2010 View Post
No.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2007, 12:10 PM   #19
Smoltz
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 04 Challenge Stradale + 02 M3

Quote:
If you don't know what you're talking about, don't post.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/c...preciation.htm

-Adam
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2007, 12:16 PM   #20
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition

Quote:
Huh?
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2007, 07:44 PM   #21
Pancho
Commander
Mexico
Rep
Drives: BMW 530i

EDC is a key feature of the new M3. It is a must for me. Drive comfortably in poor roads and then aggresively in nice roads. Jekyll and Hyde again!!
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2007, 07:46 PM   #22
Champagne
Second Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Coupé

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davo2003 View Post
Thanks for your reply...what does this mean exactly..."you'll have a hard time going up and down from pavements and such."
Pavements... Is that an imagined word? haha

I mean like... You know where people walk? There's a slight curb or whatever? Think of it like a speed bump.

Now during brake in, I've set my M-button to everything to normal except EDC to sport and the steering servotronic to sport. The reason is simple, I can't disable DSC all those safety features if I want to be able to stay on the road (due to the winter) until this summer but also because I can't spank it yet so all I really need is a button to quickly give me some more "clearance" (EDC). Actually that's not what it does but it eliminates the wiggeling of the car which makes it not bounce down slightly to make it a more comfortable ride.

This way is quite useful to me since I just need to press a button on the steering wheel and now I'm ready for the bumpidump.
Appreciate 0