BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

Mporium BMW

06-20-2013, 02:13 PM   #1
esquire
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Dakar Yellow M3, 2018 M5

MRF X-Pipe - 24 HP/18 TQ gains OVER the Akra Evo?!? Something's in the Kool-Aid

EDIT - I re-dyno'd this car about a month after this initial post. The gains were even higher the second time through, to my amazement. PEAK gains rose to 24HP/18TQ over the Akra, as opposed to the 16.5/16.5 gains posted in my first run from the initial post. Midrange Gains became a consistent 30HP/25TQ over the Akra. Top End Gains became 28HP/18TQ over the Akra. And the final tally on my car is now 581HP/377TQ - again all on 91 octane.

Check out POST #130 of this thread for a full discussion with Dyno charts of the most recent results.

__________________________________________________ ________________

ORIGINAL POST
Background:

Having recently supercharged my car to an ESS VT2-625, I’ve been on a bit of a quest to maximize my torque and power output. I came across this THREAD where forum member Longboarder (well-known for his Airstrip videos) was putting down shockingly high amounts of HP and Torque for the amount of boost he was producing, and I was quickly intrigued. I picked up a conversation with Longboarder about the details of his build, and it turns out that the only really unique part of his build (compared to the majority of us who are running ESS VT2-625 + Akra EVO) is his “Velaforza” X-Pipe – a low production X-Pipe (and full exhaust system) that was being produced by MRF Engineering for a while. Everything else he was running was pretty stock and trade.

That led me to wonder whether Longboarder’s car was just a freak from the factory, or if his horsepower and torque gains were coming as a result of the MRF X-Pipe. So, I decided to put it to a test. I picked up one of the three MRF X-Pipes currently remaining in existence from Malek@MRF – and decided to run Dynos of my car running the Akra X-Pipe and compare those to the results generated by the MRF Engineering X-Pipe.

The results went far far beyond what I expected – 16.5 peak HP and 16.5 peak TQ over the Akra Evo. And massive delta’s throughout practically the entire RPM band. In some places I was seeing gains as big as 30 HP and 26 TQ over the Akra.

Conditions:

Here’s some background on the conditions of the test. :
Dyno Runs on Akra X-Pipe
Number of Runs: 4 (with approximately 10 minute breaks between each)
Date: 4/19/2013
Weather Conditions: See Graph Below
Car: My E92 M3 Coupe
Gas: 91 Octane (Shell)
Redline : 8600 RPM (raised limit)
Wheels – OEM ZCP wheels
Tires – 255/35 front, 275/35 rear Michelin Pilot Super Sport
Supercharger: ESS VT2 625 Supercharger Kit
Pulley Size : 96 mm
Rear Exhaust – Akrapovic Evolution Rear Section
X-Pipe– Akrapovic X-Pipe (100 Cel Cats)
Dyno Runs on MRF Engineering “Velaforza” X-Pipe
Number of Runs: 4 (with approximately 10 minute breaks between each)
Date: 6/7/2013
Weather Conditions: See Graph Below
Car: My E92 M3 Coupe
Gas: 91 Octane (Shell)
Redline : 8600 RPM (raised limit)
Wheels – OEM ZCP wheels
Tires – 255/35 front, 275/35 rear Michelin Pilot Super Sport
Supercharger: ESS VT2 625 Supercharger Kit
Pulley Size : 96 mm
Rear Exhaust – Akrapovic Evolution Rear Section
X-Pipe– MRF Engineering X-Pipe(catless)

Dyno Results:

I compiled the results on the following DYNO graphs which compare the best run on the Akra X-Pipe, and the best run on the MRF X-Pipe. This graph has lines drawn at 6250 RPM to compare midrange HP, TQ, and Boost Deltas at that RPM, and another with a line drawn at 8250 RPM to compare traditional Redline HP, TQ and Boost Deltas (this is relevant, because my car’s rev limit is raised to 8600 RPM now). I’m posting up versions of the graph in STD and SAE both of which correct for external conditions (ambient temperature, humidity etc) to some extent but using slightly different formulas for that correction.

Here are the results. Again these are all on 91 Octane:

STD

SAE

Discussion:

Let’s get the obvious out of the way first – with the MRF X-Pipe my car is producing ~574 peak HP (STD), and ~376 peak TQ now…. … …. … … Holy SH***.
Interestingly, the MRF X-Pipe creates substantial Torque and HP increases throughout virtually the entire power band. The deltas are ridiculous. Looking at the STD graph, the car is creating 16.5 peak HP, and 16.5 peak torque (STD) over the Akra Evo, which is already a notable piece of machinery (When I first installed my Akra Evo on my un-supercharged car, I realized gains of 23 HP and 25 TQ. In and of themselves, those are massive).

But the peak HP/TQ is not even the full story. As the graphs with the vertical line drawn at 6250 RPM show, there are places in the power band where the MRF X-Pipe is creating gains as high as 30 HP and 26 TQ (STD) over the Akra - not over stock, over the Akra. (!) The numbers being put down by the MRF X-Pipe are just insane. To me, the massive deltas being put down by the MRF unit is even more impressive than the peak numbers.

I will tell you that by the “butt test”, the difference in TQ and acceleration in this car immediately after installing the MRF midpipe was instantly noticeable. The pull and acceleration became ferocious.

Another interesting thing I found was that there was a consistent .2-.3 drop in boost, throughout all of my runs on the MRF Midpipe, when compared to runs on my Akra X-Pipe. Admittedely, .2-.3 isn’t a huge deal, but when it comes to boost, I’ll take anything I can get. The less stress on my engine, the better.

The numbers speak for themselves. Whatever it is, there’s something unique going on with MRF X-Pipe. At this point I’m just glad to have my hands on one.

-esquire

[ESS VT2-625] [Akrapovic Evolution Exhaust] [KW Clubsports] [OSS Angel Eyes] [Revinora r-CRT Lip]
[Vorsteiner Boot] [Challenge Race Diffuser] [See the Build Thread HERE]

Last edited by esquire; 07-24-2013 at 01:53 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2013, 02:36 PM   #2
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

Good info. Looks like the first run was also 10 degrees hotter?

I could see the 100cpi cats/resonator causing some restriction on a blown car. It's way more gas flow than it was designed for. Evolve did pressure test on their X-pipe and didn't see much loss with the 200cpi cats in the secondary position, but I'm guessing that was on a FBO motor.
Maybe they could do another test on a blown motor??

Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2013, 02:40 PM   #3
flipm3
E46 + E90 + F80
Rep
Drives: E46 + E90 + F80

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
2002 BMW M3  [0.00]
Thanks for sharing the data.

It would have been great to log IATs and Ignition as well to really take the comparison to another level.

I've always appreciated what MRF did with their XPipe. I wonder if their decision to move the actual "X" more forward toward the engine, similar in design to Gintani and, now, ESS Tuning, is one of the key ingredients.

At any rate, congratulations on the new power!
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2013, 02:41 PM   #4
Its_lobelt
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Interesting results. I wonder why this is. Maybe time for me to change up? lol
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2013, 02:43 PM   #5
schnell325
Bored at work....
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 F82 M4 GTS//2022 M235iGC

Do you have any pictures of this mythical beast?

Looks like you've found a winner with your exhaust setup.
Grey Matter:2008 E92 M3:608/425. SG/PS SOLD!
Dark Matter:2015 F80 M3:495/505. SOLD!
Anti Matter :2016 F82 M4 GTS
What next?!? A 2022 M235i GC- I must be getting old
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2013, 03:09 PM   #6
esquire
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post
Good info. Looks like the first run was also 10 degrees hotter?

I could see the 100cpi cats/resonator causing some restriction on a blown car. It's way more gas flow than it was designed for. Evolve did pressure test on their X-pipe and didn't see much loss with the 200cpi cats in the secondary position, but I'm guessing that was on a FBO motor.
Maybe they could do another test on a blown motor??

Yeah first run was definitely a hotter day. Interestingly it was also a less humid day. Obviously SAE and STD correct for these ambient condition differences to a large degree. What little they don't correct for, I think the gains are so large that one can't reasonably chalk them up to weather variance.

My understanding is the impact of 100 CEL cats are minimal if not negligible. I'm no expert on restriction. I think the same logic applies here as it did above. Because of the size of the gains, I don't think they can be explained with reference to the cats alone.

The evolve test at 200 CPI is interesting, and corroborates the above, even more so since the Akra is even less restrictive at 100 Cel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipm3 View Post
Thanks for sharing the data.

It would have been great to log IATs and Ignition as well to really take the comparison to another level.

I've always appreciated what MRF did with their XPipe. I wonder if their decision to move the actual "X" more forward toward the engine, similar in design to Gintani and, now, ESS Tuning, is one of the key ingredients.

At any rate, congratulations on the new power!

I do think we logged Air Intake Temperature, but don't think we did ignition. I can double check with EAS on that. I'll update this thread with whatever info I can get.

I'll have to defer to MRF regarding the design details of their Exhaust, but I believe its actually the opposite. MRF's X is placed further back towards the exhaust tips, not the engine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROB_S2K View Post
Interesting results. I wonder why this is. Maybe time for me to change up? lol
My uneducated guess is that there is something unique going on with the design of the MRF X-Pipe, width of the tube, placement of the X, and air-flow dynamics. But again, MRF Engineering is probably in a better place to discuss the design of their kit. I just like that it makes power. LOL !

Quote:
Originally Posted by schnell325 View Post
Do you have any pictures of this mythical beast?

Looks like you've found a winner with your exhaust setup.
Agreed about it being a winner. I can try to get pictures of it for you. I don't have any at the moment.

[ESS VT2-625] [Akrapovic Evolution Exhaust] [KW Clubsports] [OSS Angel Eyes] [Revinora r-CRT Lip]
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2013, 03:15 PM   #7
tdott
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Any pictures of the differenec of the MRF X-Pipe vs. the Akra?
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2013, 04:09 PM   #8
Longboarder
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW i8

Garage List
Damn my secret is out

J/K

Can't believe you made that much power on 91 octane. Add some pump 100 and re-dyno to see if you can hit 600!
IG: longboarder949; YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT1...eoFBszPIK0gf9w
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2013, 04:21 PM   #9
GOLFFRR
Rep
Drives: GOLFFRR cart

I believe I was one of the first people to run the MRF exhaust and x pipe back in the day. It was an awesome product and the sound was awesome!

Susan your car is a beast!

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, EMAIL OUR GUY KOTE FIRST!
Kote M Sales:Kotem@bmwofcamarillo.com Cell:805-368-9101
vipfinance@bmwofcamarillo.com for warranties!
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2013, 05:09 PM   #10
esquire
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longboarder View Post
Damn my secret is out

J/K

Can't believe you made that much power on 91 octane. Add some pump 100 and re-dyno to see if you can hit 600!
Thanks for sharing that secret man. This thing is a unicorn. lol.

Yeah, the fact that I got those numbers on 91 Octane is insane. I'm curious what I could hit at 95 Octane and at a 100 Octane.

One thing that's interesting about the results, is that as the graph continues, the Delta's get larger and larger. Its almost like the exhaust is opening up some bottleneck in the car. Would be curious to see how large the delta becomes when putting out the kind of power you get on 100 Octane.

I think you and I need to match up head to head on the airstrip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLFFRR View Post
I believe I was one of the first people to run the MRF exhaust and x pipe back in the day. It was an awesome product and the sound was awesome!

Susan your car is a beast!
First off, since when did I become a woman? Susan? Okay Jamie.

I didn't know you had the MRF kit on your car. What did you do with it? People need to start collecting them.

Appreciate 0
      06-20-2013, 05:25 PM   #11
Rapture
I'm suckin gas but I'm haulin ass
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 ZCP MW/SO

The Akra x-pipe is 2.25" piping. I believe the MRF x-pipe is 2.5" or greater. That is where A LOT of the power gains are made. I'm sure moving the X up helps a ton as well; Gintani has been doing that since the beginning and they have been making a ton of power from just their x-pipe as well.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2013, 05:40 PM   #12
tightie
JOSH SHOKRI.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991 GT3RS, 964, Raptor

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [7.90]
Nice #s! Nice xpipe! Good gains!

#winning
      06-20-2013, 05:43 PM   #13
GOLFFRR
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Thanks for sharing that secret man. This thing is a unicorn. lol.

Yeah, the fact that I got those numbers on 91 Octane is insane. I'm curious what I could hit at 95 Octane and at a 100 Octane.

One thing that's interesting about the results, is that as the graph continues, the Delta's get larger and larger. Its almost like the exhaust is opening up some bottleneck in the car. Would be curious to see how large the delta becomes when putting out the kind of power you get on 100 Octane.

I think you and I need to match up head to head on the airstrip.

First off, since when did I become a woman? Susan? Okay Jamie.

I didn't know you had the MRF kit on your car. What did you do with it? People need to start collecting them.
damn typo I apologize bro it wasn't done on purpose. Yea two M's ago I had the full system on my car. It was awesome! a friend of mine bought the car after I had it for a year and he recently just sold it to a gentleman in the bay area. It was def one of the best exhaust I had ever heard or owned.

Appreciate 0
      06-20-2013, 05:49 PM   #14
rjd598
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 340i

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
So I'm guessing Malek will get tons of messages and calls of people wanting this xpipe and probably the full setup for that matter. Hopefully more go into production
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2013, 06:05 PM   #15
Chriskm3
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Guys. Comparing catted vs catless xpipe is not fair game. Akra will pass emmisons where catless will not. Secondly. Dynos were not done back to back so other factors may have been involved here. Catless xpipe produces unwanted raspiness within the exhaust note and adds unwanted stink. Nevertheless grains gains. 574 whp is a crazy fast. I'm know m33 with the ess625 kit done many dynos throughout the year and everytime a peak hp was reached.
Vf supercharger + tune/H&R coils/ Akra evolution exhaust/Volk te37/ Rs-3 tires/ Brembos /TIal BOV/ OSS blacked out headlights/LUX v3/Led taillights/ Challenge Front lip/ P3 vent gauge/ F10 m5 shift mob/Matte black front grills/ And a funky air fresher
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2013, 06:13 PM   #16
Longboarder
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW i8

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriskm3 View Post
Guys. Comparing catted vs catless xpipe is not fair game. Akra will pass emmisons where catless will not. Secondly. Dynos were not done back to back so other factors may have been involved here. Catless xpipe produces unwanted raspiness within the exhaust note and adds unwanted stink. Nevertheless grains gains. 574 whp is a crazy fast. I'm know m33 with the ess625 kit done many dynos throughout the year and everytime a peak hp was reached.
If you ask Tom at EAS, he will tell you that supercharged M3's with the Akra Evo typically dyno higher than supercharged M3's without cats. Why? I dunno but EAS dyno's more supercharged M3's than any other facility in the world.
IG: longboarder949; YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT1...eoFBszPIK0gf9w
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2013, 08:04 PM   #17
Chriskm3
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
If you ask Tom at EAS, he will tell you that supercharged M3's with the Akra Evo typically dyno higher than supercharged M3's without cats. Why? I dunno but EAS dyno's more supercharged M3's than any other facility in the world.
Have u ever dynod with Akra ?
Vf supercharger + tune/H&R coils/ Akra evolution exhaust/Volk te37/ Rs-3 tires/ Brembos /TIal BOV/ OSS blacked out headlights/LUX v3/Led taillights/ Challenge Front lip/ P3 vent gauge/ F10 m5 shift mob/Matte black front grills/ And a funky air fresher
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2013, 08:09 PM   #18
esquire
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjd598
So I'm guessing Malek will get tons of messages and calls of people wanting this xpipe and probably the full setup for that matter. Hopefully more go into production
I mean if people start clamoring for this exhaust he'd be making a mistake if he didn't.

And at the price he's charging, I fully expect people to be lining up.

Appreciate 0
      06-20-2013, 08:14 PM   #19
esquire
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriskm3
Quote:
Have u ever dynod with Akra ?
Well I obviously have .

But I can confirm that what Longboarder is saying is accurate. EAS does say that as a general proposition the Akra makes more horsepower than any other exhaust on a supercharged car. In fact when I came to dyno my car that day, Tom said the same thing )

Appreciate 0
      06-20-2013, 08:21 PM   #20
flipm3
E46 + E90 + F80
Rep
Drives: E46 + E90 + F80

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
2002 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
The Akra x-pipe is 2.25" piping. I believe the MRF x-pipe is 2.5" or greater. That is where A LOT of the power gains are made. I'm sure moving the X up helps a ton as well; Gintani has been doing that since the beginning and they have been making a ton of power from just their x-pipe as well.
2.25" ID?!?! I would have expected at the very least a 2.5" ID...

Good to know!!
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2013, 08:29 PM   #21
GOLFFRR
Rep

what about the weight difference between the two?

Appreciate 0
      06-20-2013, 08:37 PM   #22
FormulaMMM
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Crazy results. My impression was that there were negligible gains to be had catless over Akra mid (or high flow equivalent), and dyno tests confirmed as much. Guess they were using the wrong catless x pipes for comparison testing?

Appreciate 0