BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

01-18-2014, 05:27 AM   #89
gthal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezio View Post
thats a hell of a idea! i totally forgot about grand sport. i might go that route. i also have a very well known domestic tuner in my area that i can use to start my modding my vette.

I really wanna do headers and a tune right off the bat. haha. just not "scared" to mod chevys like i am with BMW. i also know of mod friendly dealerships for GM.
That's IF they have a GS model. My personal view is no ZR1 and no GS for the C7. The C6 had an unsually long production run due to GM's financial issues. I have read that GM made the GS and ZR1 to keep sales moving. My bet is the C7 run is shorter and they have the Stingray, Z06 and then done. Obviously no one knows yet but that is my bet.
2015 M4 | Austin Yellow | DCT
2012 MB C63AMG | 2011 E92 M3 | 2010 E92 M3
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2014, 09:55 AM   #90
TrevorM3
Banned
Rep
Drives: 6.3 AMG

it seems alot of guys here are leaving bmw quite soon. i'm surprised.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2014, 11:27 AM   #91
checkmate
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW M3 E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorM3 View Post
it seems alot of guys here are leaving bmw quite soon. i'm surprised.
There's nothing great about a BMW or BMW-M anymore.

Time to move on. America has delivered.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2014, 11:55 AM   #92
knolow
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmate View Post

After much research and thought I am sad to say I am starting to agree.
Bmw is killing me pushing "M-performance" on non-M models. Regular 3 and 4 series look like M's. (More so the 4 than the 3 to M3)
The Covervette is a serious performance car that is totally underrated because it is American. If it had a lambo badge it would sell for double the money.
      01-18-2014, 12:17 PM   #93
AMPowerJ
One mod leads to another ...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F10 M5

My random thoughts ...

Over the past few years I've had the E90 and E92 M3. Drove them for business, pleasure, picked up the kids from school, etc. Tracked them both but the E90 was really better in my mind. It was a sedan that was practical, fast, looked pretty good, and you could track it. The E92 never seemed to fit completely. It really wasn't a sports car, wasn't as practical as the sedan, and I really didn't think it looked as good. The problem with both was in my mind, they required mods (expensive mods) to get them to really fit the track purpose properly.

I'm excited about the Z06 because it is a focused car. There is no confusion what it is about. Some say it really doesn't compete in the same segment that the M3/M4 are in and they are right. But what does that say about BMW? Shouldn't a motorsports rooted company have a competitor? I happen to like best what the Z06 is about and therefore it will likely be my next car. The Z06 is not about marketing where I think the 'M' brand is headed more and more with every iteration of their 'M' cars.

BMW doesn't seem to have focused cars as much as they use to. If you still need a sedan (I don't) then I think the M3 will be a great and capable car. It looks the part, is practical, will be fast, and can be tracked if you like. I don't get the M4 at all. The styling is lacking (opinion of course but one that most seem to agree with), it still really isn't a sports car (I believe true sports cars only have two seats), it costs more than the M3, and I don't get the whole 4 series spinoff.

Corvette will take a share of traditional BMW buyers. I doubt many traditional Corvette buyers will head to BMW. BMW has a problem on their hands I believe with true performance oriented automotive enthusiasts.

The final observation I've had with the Z06 vs. the M3/M4 is that non-car people get excited and have a visceral experience with the Z06 and they have only seen it in pictures. My wife, sister-in-law, etc. actually got excited when I talked to them about getting a Z06. Never has that happened when I've rolled up in my M3s, and M5. They realize the Z06 is special ... Im sorry to say I don't think the M3's of the world are anymore.

Current: 2014 F10 M5
Previous: 2015 F80 M3, 2013 E92 M3, 2013 F10 M5, 2009 E90 M3, 1998 E36 M3
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2014, 05:01 PM   #94
checkmate
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMPowerJ View Post
Over the past few years I've had the E90 and E92 M3. Drove them for business, pleasure, picked up the kids from school, etc. Tracked them both but the E90 was really better in my mind. It was a sedan that was practical, fast, looked pretty good, and you could track it. The E92 never seemed to fit completely. It really wasn't a sports car, wasn't as practical as the sedan, and I really didn't think it looked as good. The problem with both was in my mind, they required mods (expensive mods) to get them to really fit the track purpose properly.

I'm excited about the Z06 because it is a focused car. There is no confusion what it is about. Some say it really doesn't compete in the same segment that the M3/M4 are in and they are right. But what does that say about BMW? Shouldn't a motorsports rooted company have a competitor? I happen to like best what the Z06 is about and therefore it will likely be my next car. The Z06 is not about marketing where I think the 'M' brand is headed more and more with every iteration of their 'M' cars.

BMW doesn't seem to have focused cars as much as they use to. If you still need a sedan (I don't) then I think the M3 will be a great and capable car. It looks the part, is practical, will be fast, and can be tracked if you like. I don't get the M4 at all. The styling is lacking (opinion of course but one that most seem to agree with), it still really isn't a sports car (I believe true sports cars only have two seats), it costs more than the M3, and I don't get the whole 4 series spinoff.

Corvette will take a share of traditional BMW buyers. I doubt many traditional Corvette buyers will head to BMW. BMW has a problem on their hands I believe with true performance oriented automotive enthusiasts.

The final observation I've had with the Z06 vs. the M3/M4 is that non-car people get excited and have a visceral experience with the Z06 and they have only seen it in pictures. My wife, sister-in-law, etc. actually got excited when I talked to them about getting a Z06. Never has that happened when I've rolled up in my M3s, and M5. They realize the Z06 is special ... Im sorry to say I don't think the M3's of the world are anymore.
When the Z06 does hit showrooms, I will see you at VIR with my C7 Z06 as well.

///M is dead to me.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2014, 05:38 PM   #95
swanson
Convicted Felon
Rep
Drives: chariot

Can I come?
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2014, 05:43 PM   #96
BarryC
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 M3

Quote:

Hi Ashley! totally agree - already have a deposit down and am no. 1 on the list! Was thinking about the 991GT3 but they are impossible to get and I think the new Z06 will be more fun...

BC
      01-18-2014, 06:00 PM   #97
TrevorM3
Banned
Rep
Drives: 6.3 AMG

Quote:

amen to that.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2014, 06:01 PM   #98
dcgolfdr
Wheelsucker
United_States
Rep
Drives: Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryC View Post
Hi Ashley! totally agree - already have a deposit down and am no. 1 on the list! Was thinking about the 991GT3 but they are impossible to get and I think the new Z06 will be more fun...

BC
I agree, I do like the car and will pick one up, maybe either yours or Ashley's after a year or so, you guys don't hang onto cars for very long.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2014, 06:40 PM   #99
Ezio
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 Alfa Romeo, 2023 m240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorM3
Quote:

amen to that.
+1
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2014, 06:51 PM   #100
knolow
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3

Quote:

Quote:
When the Z06 does hit showrooms, I will see you at VIR with my C7 Z06 as well.

///M is dead to me.
Dammmmm. Once you guys find out about pricing and true specs let me know
      01-18-2014, 07:22 PM   #101
Sauce
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Montego 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by gthal View Post
That's IF they have a GS model. My personal view is no ZR1 and no GS for the C7. The C6 had an unsually long production run due to GM's financial issues. I have read that GM made the GS and ZR1 to keep sales moving. My bet is the C7 run is shorter and they have the Stingray, Z06 and then done. Obviously no one knows yet but that is my bet.
It's actually a cool story how the Grand Sport came about. GM was out at the track talking to customers about what they wanted. Many of them said the aluminum frame of the Z06 was hard to weld a cage too and at the time the LS7 was having valve issues. So they put all the track must haves of the Z06 in a steel frame car that had the tried and true LS3 to give another option. Really says a lot about the car and brand when they are out there NOT to deny warranties but to listen to the customer and make a better suited car.

I am impressed with this thread. This forum always seemed so quick to bash something like a corvette despite undeniable upsides. I have a C5Z now and will have one of these as soon as possible. Says a ton about the car to win over this crowd.
KW V3's, Sparco Pro2000's, Vorshlag CP's, JB4, Heat Wrapped Raceland DP's, aFe stg. 2 Sealed Intake, Miro 111's, Hankook RS3's 225/245 (for now), Seibon M3 CF Hood, Turner Motorsports Alum. Radiator, Big Tom IC, BMW Performance bumper.

Appreciate 0
      01-18-2014, 08:00 PM   #102
BarryC
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcgolfdr View Post
I agree, I do like the car and will pick one up, maybe either yours or Ashley's after a year or so, you guys don't hang onto cars for very long.
guilty as charged!
      01-18-2014, 08:03 PM   #103
BarryC
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sauce View Post
I am impressed with this thread. This forum always seemed so quick to bash something like a corvette despite undeniable upsides. I have a C5Z now and will have one of these as soon as possible. Says a ton about the car to win over this crowd.
True car guys don't bash a car regardless of brand when the car is obviously an engineering achievement and so far the new Z06 looks to be a game changer....
      01-18-2014, 10:25 PM   #104
Mookster
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 ZR1 & 2020 Supra GR LE

If true it'll be under 100k including all options(Z07)

01-18-2014, 11:24 PM   #105
AMPowerJ
One mod leads to another ...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F10 M5

VIR will be fun in the Z06 but I was hoping I would have the only one so I could pass all of you guys.

Current: 2014 F10 M5
Previous: 2015 F80 M3, 2013 E92 M3, 2013 F10 M5, 2009 E90 M3, 1998 E36 M3
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2014, 11:31 PM   #106
checkmate
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
VIR will be fun in the Z06 but I was hoping I would have the only one so I could pass all of you guys.
You will.... provided you get to the Z06 before us
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2014, 09:28 AM   #107
CDM3DCT
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Jet Black M3 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezio View Post
i am going to try to get one in 2 years. screw European engines with there small turbo crap. i am done.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2014, 10:15 AM   #108
G80indy
Save the Manuals
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z3, E46, G80

Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmate
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkim1079 View Post
Which one lol.
Corvetteforum.com. I'm active in the C7 section.
I joined
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2014, 12:01 PM   #109
hellrotm
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:

I am out as well. I had been thinking P-car. Now I want a Stringray Z51. Hoping some of the Z06 aero bits can be put on a NA Stringray.

Last edited by hellrotm; 01-19-2014 at 12:07 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2014, 01:25 PM   #110
skxf430
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Driving Miss Daisy

I think the pricing will be north of $100K. The last Z06 fairly loaded was pushing $100K and the a ZR1 was over $120K. This car will probably sit somewhere in between especially when the prices of cars have risen so much in the last several years. A GTR went from the high 70's to now close to a 120 with the track pack, and a fully loaded Cayman/Boxster is pushing over 100. A stripped down 991GT3 will cost over 140, so even at 100k the new Z06 will be a relative bargain.
Appreciate 0