BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

11-15-2011, 04:24 PM   #111
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by whats77inaname View Post
Affirmative, in reference to the OP-specified unit. For that price, I wonder what kind of profit margin they have....

And then I wonder about these:

http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/43...mw_x_pipe.html

Minimum order of 5.....too bad they don't make anything for an E90 M3, otherwise I might have had to contact the guy.
I think the x-pipe is the same for the E90 and E92 M3. From what I understand, it is the rear exhausts that differ slightly -- in the lengths of the tips. Assuming I am correct, buy 5 of them and resell them.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2011, 05:05 PM   #112
Singletrack
4th down; 4th quarter? Renegade.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 SSII E92 M3; 19 FG M5C

Quote:
Originally Posted by geneatals View Post
Like it's any better to overcharge or upcharge a product because the market allows for it.
That is the foundation of capitalism. If it were truly "overpriced", then no one would buy it.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2011, 05:06 PM   #113
mjf6175
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 ZCP; 09 Viper Coupe

If you check the bottom information that is listed in his ad, it does show E90 M3.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2011, 05:27 PM   #114
whats77inaname
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: when at all possible

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjf6175 View Post
If you check the bottom information that is listed in his ad, it does show E90 M3.
I did check, but after I posted *lol*

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
I think the x-pipe is the same for the E90 and E92 M3. From what I understand, it is the rear exhausts that differ slightly -- in the lengths of the tips. Assuming I am correct, buy 5 of them and resell them.

I was contemplating that. I have an alibaba account from some earlier business dealings.

Apparently there are quite a few parts available for the E9x. Do a search. I'd stick with the Taiwanese aesthetic parts, but there are c/f rear diffusers to be had for $13x-$300. It has been my experience that in dealing with these kinds of purchases, the receipt of samples is always a good thing.

Last edited by whats77inaname; 11-15-2011 at 05:35 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2011, 07:14 PM   #115
chibich
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e92 m3

Quote:
Affirmative, in reference to the OP-specified unit. For that price, I wonder what kind of profit margin they have....

And then I wonder about these:

http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/43...mw_x_pipe.html

Minimum order of 5.....too bad they don't make anything for an E90 M3, otherwise I might have had to contact the guy.
not to high jack the thread but, anybody have any experience with this company?
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2011, 08:38 PM   #116
whats77inaname
Banned
United_States
Rep

The Ti X-pipe....~$7000 shipped....for *five*. The units are full Ti, the piping being imported from Nippon Steel Corporation in Japan. Working on trying to get a sample here to test fitment and quality. Don't want to thread jack, so when I get add'l info, I'll start a new thread.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2011, 09:36 PM   #117
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3

Garage List
In for the x-pipe results.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2011, 09:45 PM   #118
whats77inaname
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE TECH View Post
In for the x-pipe results.
Which one? *lol*
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2011, 10:02 PM   #119
Rekrul
Captain
Rep
Drives: 19 M5 Comp, 16 GT3RS

Quote:
The Ti X-pipe....~$7000 shipped....for *five*. The units are full Ti, the piping being imported from Nippon Steel Corporation in Japan. Working on trying to get a sample here to test fitment and quality. Don't want to thread jack, so when I get add'l info, I'll start a new thread.
1400 for it? One could probably pick up a used akra x pipe for a little more.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2011, 08:10 AM   #120
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Which one? *lol*
This top speed thing.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2011, 08:44 AM   #121
Boostin FD
Bored all the time
United_States
Rep
Drives: Batmobile

let's see some pics of this X-pipe installed
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2011, 06:32 PM   #122
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep

I finally installed the topspeed ebay x-pipe. Fit is perfect. No issues at all with the install other than having to fiddle with the mid clamps a bit (the ones that attach to the flexible arms in the center of the car behind the rear 02 and ahead of the x section). Looks very well made to me.

Like any unresonated x-pipe, it is loud under certain conditions and raspy under certain conditions. I won't be leaving it unresonated. I bought a pair of stainless Vibrant resonators. If they do not do enough, I will install a second set. Vibrant makes really nice stuff in my experience and these are only $50 each. At present, it is too loud for me overall, though at some rpm and throttle positions it is fine. I am not one of those people who is trying to attract attention through a loud exhaust. I just want the improved performance. A tune will be next.

I'll inspect the inside of the x section when I cut to install the resonators. I was expecting lower quality and fitment problems, but did not find any yet. Maybe the inside of the x section will be the disappointment, but from the outside, it looks just like the factory design and the design used on some of the other x-pipes.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2011, 02:42 AM   #123
M3ryder55
Major
Rep
Drives: 15' MW/SO

i agree, 2,000 dollars for a freakin x-pipe is a joke. get real with these prices

i dont mean to dis any brands, but what kind of engineering goes into an xpipe design... it's common sense for more surface area for your welds.. is that it?

this is engineering;

and an xpipe is something an illegal can make me in a few hours at their muffler shop.. of course these things are coming from taiwan. but how much does it cost to make one here in the US? Get a good gig, mass produce a bunch.. the most expensive one is your trail, "gig" built and once you get that right, it's easier to make the rest. Shouldn't cost more than 400-500 bucks US dollars to make a quality xpipe. So about 700 800 is reasonable for these things for "GOOD QUALITY" US metal. and if you think i'm throwing numbers out of my rear end this is my brothers metal shop;
www.kwiron.com
and even he will probably argue it's cheaper than that. fact is, as a business manufacturing parts for expensive cars, especially M cars, I know the crowd is going to be young douchebag spoiled college kids in their early 20's with mommy and daddy money to blow, or 30-40 year old cocks that don't know much about cars in general and will pay a insane amount or something so dumb. So as a business owner I will tax the crap out of my product because I know I can get it.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2011, 05:16 AM   #124
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep

Depends on the quality of the parts used. Burns Stainless, for example, makes top quality parts and you could spend $440 on a custom tube stainless 2.5 inch X pipe. Or you can spend $85 on a stamped stainless 2.5 x-pipe by Magnaflo at Jegs. Or you can have low paid Asian workers cut inexpensive stainless mandrel bent tubing and weld one up for even less.

I don't need the expensive top quality product for this application. For those who do, it is great there are suppliers. To me the E90M3 is just a daily driver car. For others, it is their most prized possession and it gets a significant amount of their attention and resources. I like reading about the cars owned by those people -- they are often forging the way for modifications.

I will try to get some pictures when I cut the x-pipe for the resonators. I am doing this on jaxkstands so I won't be able to get the best shot. It is very easy to remove and install one of these, even on your back.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2011, 10:35 AM   #125
Raptor251
ESS Dreaming
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.5 e92 m3/Ford Raptor 6.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3ryder55 View Post
i agree, 2,000 dollars for a freakin x-pipe is a joke. get real with these prices

i dont mean to dis any brands, but what kind of engineering goes into an xpipe design... it's common sense for more surface area for your welds.. is that it?

this is engineering;

and an xpipe is something an illegal can make me in a few hours at their muffler shop.. of course these things are coming from taiwan. but how much does it cost to make one here in the US? Get a good gig, mass produce a bunch.. the most expensive one is your trail, "gig" built and once you get that right, it's easier to make the rest. Shouldn't cost more than 400-500 bucks US dollars to make a quality xpipe. So about 700 800 is reasonable for these things for "GOOD QUALITY" US metal. and if you think i'm throwing numbers out of my rear end this is my brothers metal shop;
www.kwiron.com
and even he will probably argue it's cheaper than that. fact is, as a business manufacturing parts for expensive cars, especially M cars, I know the crowd is going to be young douchebag spoiled college kids in their early 20's with mommy and daddy money to blow, or 30-40 year old cocks that don't know much about cars in general and will pay a insane amount or something so dumb. So as a business owner I will tax the crap out of my product because I know I can get it.

Im not trying to start anything but the simple fact that you call an "assembly jig" a "gig" leads me to believe you have no idea what you are talking about. I would tell you to slow down and take a closer look at the product but you wouldn't understand the time and craftsmanship that goes into them. The expensive X-pipes are made of very high quality materials with excellent fit and finish. Do you have any idea how long it takes to prep the tubing just to tig weld it? Or fabricate and tig together all of the hanger brackets? I for one do and I can say without question the expensive exhausts justify the price. I come from an extensive background that consists of off-road race car fabrication and LOTS of racing. I know exactly what's involved in the fabrication process and think its totally with in reason. So those of you out there diss'n the high end exhausts saying they are over priced you couldnt be more wrong.

With that said did I buy an expensive x pipe? NO! I personally didnt see a reason for it. I bought a used RPI system an cut it up to my likings and am very happy with the price I paid and what I got.

I just get upset when people come on here and say the high end exhaust companies are ripping people off because is an "M" To me that is downright ignorance. Unless you have actually bent up some tubes and spent some real time behind a welder you probably should keep your mouth shut.

Akra, Gintani, Dinan, Fabspeed... FTW
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2011, 12:13 PM   #126
chibich
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e92 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
I finally installed the topspeed ebay x-pipe. Fit is perfect. No issues at all with the install other than having to fiddle with the mid clamps a bit (the ones that attach to the flexible arms in the center of the car behind the rear 02 and ahead of the x section). Looks very well made to me.

Like any unresonated x-pipe, it is loud under certain conditions and raspy under certain conditions. I won't be leaving it unresonated. I bought a pair of stainless Vibrant resonators. If they do not do enough, I will install a second set. Vibrant makes really nice stuff in my experience and these are only $50 each. At present, it is too loud for me overall, though at some rpm and throttle positions it is fine. I am not one of those people who is trying to attract attention through a loud exhaust. I just want the improved performance. A tune will be next.

I'll inspect the inside of the x section when I cut to install the resonators. I was expecting lower quality and fitment problems, but did not find any yet. Maybe the inside of the x section will be the disappointment, but from the outside, it looks just like the factory design and the design used on some of the other x-pipes.
any video or any plans on a dyno session?
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2011, 06:49 PM   #127
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chibich View Post
any video or any plans on a dyno session?
I am not a video person so no videos. I will eventually dyno, but just for curiosity. I have no baseline and have done several mods -- pulley, K&N filter and catless x-pipe, so the dyno result won't mean as much. The tune is next. I'll dyno sometime after the tune.

My guess is that a stock x-pipe with muffler shop straight sections in place of the cats, my $475 x-pipe, and one of the $1000+ x-pipes would all dyno within 5 rwhp of one another.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2011, 03:56 AM   #128
M3ryder55
Major
Rep
Drives: 15' MW/SO

it was a typo with the jig

maybe i was a little to harsh with some comments. but bending pipes to look like the stock pipes is not engineering. its craftsmanship. and yes im not saying im digging these replica xpipes but no xpipe should sell for more than a grand and thats with good quality material.. give or take around that range. sorry just the way i feel about it . thats why im waiting for a good quality xpipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor251 View Post
Im not trying to start anything but the simple fact that you call an "assembly jig" a "gig" leads me to believe you have no idea what you are talking about. I would tell you to slow down and take a closer look at the product but you wouldn't understand the time and craftsmanship that goes into them. The expensive X-pipes are made of very high quality materials with excellent fit and finish. Do you have any idea how long it takes to prep the tubing just to tig weld it? Or fabricate and tig together all of the hanger brackets? I for one do and I can say without question the expensive exhausts justify the price. I come from an extensive background that consists of off-road race car fabrication and LOTS of racing. I know exactly what's involved in the fabrication process and think its totally with in reason. So those of you out there diss'n the high end exhausts saying they are over priced you couldnt be more wrong.

With that said did I buy an expensive x pipe? NO! I personally didnt see a reason for it. I bought a used RPI system an cut it up to my likings and am very happy with the price I paid and what I got.

I just get upset when people come on here and say the high end exhaust companies are ripping people off because is an "M" To me that is downright ignorance. Unless you have actually bent up some tubes and spent some real time behind a welder you probably should keep your mouth shut.

Akra, Gintani, Dinan, Fabspeed... FTW
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2011, 08:23 AM   #129
Raptor251
ESS Dreaming
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.5 e92 m3/Ford Raptor 6.2

Quote:
it was a typo with the jig

maybe i was a little to harsh with some comments. but bending pipes to look like the stock pipes is not engineering. its craftsmanship. and yes im not saying im digging these replica xpipes but no xpipe should sell for more than a grand and thats with good quality material.. give or take around that range. sorry just the way i feel about it . thats why im waiting for a good quality xpipe
Its all good, I just know some of the expensive x-pipes have some uber high quality fabrication that takes time! If you want a good quality x-pipe for cheap I am selling a whole RPI setup for $300.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2011, 09:12 AM   #130
whats77inaname
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I know the crowd is going to be young douchebag spoiled college kids in their early 20's with mommy and daddy money to blow, or 30-40 year old cocks that don't know much about cars in general and will pay a insane amount or something so dumb.
Since you were so astute as to stereotype all of us M owners, since you own one, too, which one of these 2 descriptions do you fall under?
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2011, 09:21 AM   #131
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

I would say most m3 owners know a great deal about there cars. I've been to meets where ferrari and lambo owners don't know jack about their vehicle.

02 Tiag e46 M3|6MT|GC plates|MCS c.o.|GC bars|GC race control arms|GC bushings|BW eng. & tran. mounts|subframe kit|BW race shifter|BW Jaffster|Euro header|BW exhaust|K&N c.a.i.|Epic race tune|Rouge pulleys|Seibon CF hood|CSL bumper|apr gt 250 & splitter|ST-40|XR-2|SS lines|half cage|Recaro profi|Profi 2 harness|BMWpedals|BW studs|
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2011, 09:39 AM   #132
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep

To me it seems there are a fair number of magazine/book, internet and tuner educated E9x M3 owners, but not very many that work on their own cars and thus remove and install the parts they discuss, and even fewer who have basic welding or fabrication skills.
Appreciate 0