BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

European Auto Source (EAS)

06-03-2010, 10:52 PM   #23
IE#02
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: e92 M3 / e46 M3 / R35 GTR

Quote:
Originally Posted by FStop7 View Post
Just get DCT, it's the safest bet
what are you trying to be safe from?

'08 M3 AW/6MT, Eisenmann Race, BBS CH-R 20" / '04 M3 SMG / '09 GTR
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2010, 11:02 PM   #24
FStop7
I like cars
Vatican City State
Rep
Drives: M6

Quote:
Originally Posted by IE#02 View Post
what are you trying to be safe from?
Me? Nothing, I have a 6MT.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2010, 11:09 PM   #25
330CIZHP
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 330 CI ZHP

Get the 6 speed manual, if you truly want to enjoy and be in control of what the car does.

Even in manual mode, DCT will have its own mind and sometimes do things when you don't want to and not when you want it to.

Even when the DCT has 7 shorter gears and faster shifting speed, with an expert in the 6MT, they both are surprisingly very evenly matched. My guess is it has to do with the approx. 5% higher drivetrain loss in the DCT.

If you want to see for yourself. go to youtube and watch a rolling start drag race from 20 mph up to 150 mph between DLSJ5's DCT M3 coupe vs JonMartin's 6 speed M3 sedan both with roughly equal mods and they were neck and neck all the way.

- Lamborghini on turbocharging

Last edited by 330CIZHP; 06-03-2010 at 11:36 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2010, 11:37 PM   #26
IbanezGod
997TT, X5M
Rep
Drives: 997TT, X5M

Drive both of them then decide. I did... and I went with DCT. Seriously no ones opinions matter more here than your own based on how you choose to use the car. DCT was amazing, the 6MT reminded me of my E46, i wanted change and wow was DCT fun.
      06-03-2010, 11:56 PM   #27
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

Million threads on this man; looks like you didn't search . There's probably a year's worth of reading material.

It was probably said already, but you need to set your priorities straight, and let them decide. No honest 6MT owner is going to tell you our car is faster or quicker than a DCT on a track, so if ultimate performance is your #1 priority, the choice is already made for you. If you value having fun while you drive, and enjoy having full control of your car, whether tooling around around town or heel-and-toeing on a mountain road, and don't mind losing a few tenths for sheer driving pleasure, your choice is equally obvious. If you're in-between, only you can answer that . But if reliability is not a concern to you (it'd definitely be to me), you're one step closer to DCT then.

Make a list of ALL important attributes you'll encounter in your M3 ownership (reliability, track performance (if any), acceleration from a dead stop, roll-on acceleration, do family members need to drive it, main use, driving fun factor, projected fun factor after 2 years, etc), put 6MT and DCT columns, and honestly put a score on each column depending on your priorities (similar to a magazine test), and let the score decide. You might be surprised at the result when you take the emotion out of the decision making process . Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2010, 12:35 AM   #28
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by elp_jc View Post
Million threads on this man; looks like you didn't search . There's probably a year's worth of reading material.

It was probably said already, but you need to set your priorities straight, and let them decide. No honest 6MT owner is going to tell you our car is faster or quicker than a DCT on a track, so if ultimate performance is your #1 priority, the choice is already made for you. If you value having fun while you drive, and enjoy having full control of your car, whether tooling around around town or heel-and-toeing on a mountain road, and don't mind losing a few tenths for sheer driving pleasure, your choice is equally obvious. If you're in-between, only you can answer that . But if reliability is not a concern to you (it'd definitely be to me), you're one step closer to DCT then.

Make a list of ALL important attributes you'll encounter in your M3 ownership (reliability, track performance (if any), acceleration from a dead stop, roll-on acceleration, do family members need to drive it, main use, driving fun factor, projected fun factor after 2 years, etc), put 6MT and DCT columns, and honestly put a score on each column depending on your priorities (similar to a magazine test), and let the score decide. You might be surprised at the result when you take the emotion out of the decision making process . Good luck.
+1
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2010, 12:47 AM   #29
Cab5er
Colonel
China
Rep
Drives: 09 E90 M3 (Sold) 13 A1

Quote:
Originally Posted by PicassoM View Post
Drive both of them then decide. I did... and I went with DCT. Seriously no ones opinions matter more here than your own based on how you choose to use the car. DCT was amazing, the 6MT reminded me of my E46, i wanted change and wow was DCT fun.

E90 ///M3/ AW/ Fox Red
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2010, 12:49 AM   #30
C00kedG00se
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Thanks to all... I believe I will go through the analysis that you mentioned (we use similar failure analysis techniques quite often in work).

BTW, I have read easily one hundred threads about DCT and 6MT and never really had my questions fully answered. Thanks to all for hammering it home.

Good night.

I'm just looking for a little tickle in my trousers...

'11 M3 Coupe /// Hellrot Red / Rust Brown Interior / Black Piano Trim
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2010, 01:33 AM   #31
SIIK2NR
Lieutenant
South Korea
Rep
Drives: AW E92 M3

Anyone can drive a DCT...... not everyone can drive a 6MT.

It was stated in another thread that you should go with 6MT because it's possilbe a day will come when the 6MT is no longer an option.

When that day comes.....then try DCT.

I love clutching, reving and shifting too much to let the car do it itself.
2004 AP2 S2000 - Sold
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2010, 03:04 AM   #32
quality_sound
8 tracks of madness
United_States
Rep
Drives: Slowly

I had DSG on my GTI, and frankly, it got boring as hell after about a year. Unless you're going to spend more time on the track than on the road I'd do the manual.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2010, 08:37 AM   #33
ersin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 YMB F80 M3

Quote:

Hey, I did all that. And the result I came up with was ... yes.

Cheers.
      06-04-2010, 09:08 AM   #34
Bubbles
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep
Drives: Green Bastard

I picked a 6MT to be slower on the track. It keeps my Porsche buddies happy, otherwise they'll lose interest if I continuously blow by them in a DCT.

If you are having doubts after driving an AT, most likely you are yearning to get back into a MT.

For me nailing that perfect shift, rev matching and heel/toeing is too satisfying to give up. But I'm sure I'd be faster in a DCT, but then what's the fun in that?
      06-04-2010, 09:56 AM   #35
ersin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbles View Post
But I'm sure I'd be faster in a DCT, but then what's the fun in that?
Indeed! In that case you might want to look into a Nissan GT-R.

Cheers.
      06-06-2010, 05:55 PM   #36
Kiemyster
Bimmerpost Resident Marijuana Consultant
Trinidad_and_tobago
Rep
Drives: 320i, 325xi, 335Xi, 335i, M3

Garage List
its threads like these that only make it harder to choose. damnit
      06-06-2010, 06:17 PM   #37
Krozi
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 ///M3 Alpine White

R..'1...3...5
|__|__|__|
..._|-'''|--,|
..'_2...4_''6

2008 E92 ///M3 Alpine White//Fox Red//6MT//
Florida Bimmer - Join us on FaceBook!
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2010, 06:34 PM   #38
M3Alpine
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M4 AW/SO

personal preference dude.... dont let anyone here make a decision for you, its gonna be your car. drive both and get what u want
2015 AW/SO
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2010, 01:07 AM   #39
Frozen Black Panther
Captain
Albania
Rep
Drives: 2013 550 DINAN STAGE 2

red sox suck , yanks 28
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2010, 05:20 AM   #40
markjord
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3 E92 2007 Jerez Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex1911 View Post
I'll say one thing, if you do get the manual, definitely purchase the KHOALTY clutch stop, big improvement.
So what does the KHOALTY do then?
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2010, 09:38 AM   #41
ersin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjord View Post
So what does the KHOALTY do then?
I don't know about the KHOALTY, but clutch stops keep the clutch pedal from being pressed all the way down. Once the clutch pedal goes past the "friction" point you don't really have to go much further. Putting a clutch stop behind the pedal prevents you from pushing the pedal all the way down to the floor. It makes for faster shifts.

To the OP, if you can drive a manual then either transmission you get will be right. Don't sweat it. If you do city driving the DCT may be better. If you get the chance to drive the twisties often then you'll probably appreciate the 6MT better. But you can't go wrong with either choice.

Cheers.
      06-08-2010, 08:53 AM   #42
Alex1911
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3 Sedan 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by ersin View Post
I don't know about the KHOALTY, but clutch stops keep the clutch pedal from being pressed all the way down. Once the clutch pedal goes past the "friction" point you don't really have to go much further. Putting a clutch stop behind the pedal prevents you from pushing the pedal all the way down to the floor. It makes for faster shifts.
Yeah what he said. I stumbled upon the thread regarding the clutch stop while waiting for my car. The clutch is pretty long IMHO (and others), travels way past the friction point.

I ran with the Khoalty because it was $5 cheap and some complained of issues with the stop mentioned in the original thread. My clip went in with zero problems, as did the stop, and the car starts just fine... ie: I don't have to press hard/mash the clutch. Improved my shifts and the feel, best $15 I ever spent.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2010, 08:55 AM   #43
markjord
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3 E92 2007 Jerez Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex1911 View Post
Yeah what he said. I stumbled upon the thread regarding the clutch stop while waiting for my car. The clutch is pretty long IMHO (and others), travels way past the friction point.

I ran with the Khoalty because it was $5 cheap and some complained of issues with the stop mentioned in the original thread. My clip went in with zero problems, as did the stop, and the car starts just fine... ie: I don't have to press hard/mash the clutch. Improved my shifts and the feel, best $15 I ever spent.
Thanks - I might give that a try
Appreciate 0