BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > USA - Southwest

02-15-2009, 03:22 AM   #1
Uncleruckus34
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 09 Arctic White C63 AMG

Anyone in Houston want to test drive an e92 M3 for me?

Im looking to buy an e92 M3 from a dealer in Houston, however it carries a salvaged title and was recently repaired. Would anyone who lives in or near the Houston area want to test it out for me and see if everything checks out? Cmon you get to drive an M3!
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2009, 09:40 AM   #2
TwoSaints
Second Lieutenant
Brazil
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

I live, 1.5 hours away and will probably be there some time next weekend. Where is the car located exactly?
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2009, 09:45 AM   #3
gobuffs
Captain
Rep
Drives: E30 M3 S54 (race car)

The one from Matthews auto? I know Matt from club racing and every car I have seen that he has repaired has been excellent. If I were going to buy a salvage title M3, I wouldn't hesitate from buying from him. OTOH, I wouldn't buy a salvage title M3....especially priced over $50k....especially now with Euro Delivery getting a discount.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2009, 01:31 PM   #4
Tebow
Rep
Drives: N/A

Why was it salvaged? Did it receive water damage from the hurricane flooding? I would expect that you are getting a massive discount to purchase a salvaged car. Be careful though.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2009, 03:30 PM   #5
Seth_Horwitz
Tired of feather footed //M drivers
Rep
Drives: 330ci, 911 Turbo X50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tebow View Post
Why was it salvaged? Did it receive water damage from the hurricane flooding? I would expect that you are getting a massive discount to purchase a salvaged car. Be careful though.
Agreed. I wouldn't buy a salvage titled M3 unless there was a SERIOUS discount, and then would be more apt to get one that had physical damage than water damage. You can inspect a car that has been banged up to make sure it was repaired properly, but there's no way to be sure on a car that has water damage. (Unless you literally take it apart.) The corrosion that started when the car was flooded may not show itself for years, at which point your car could get filled with electrical gremlins.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2009, 11:20 PM   #6
Uncleruckus34
Private First Class
Rep

The dealer is a used car/repair shop which specializes in BMWs named Bigugly Fabrications in Houston. They have the car listed at 47k with a little over 7000 miles on it, but I think they would be willing to do a straight swap for my 08 e92, which is valued at about 40k with my mods. The damage to the car was physical; the car was hit in the front and the damaged parts which needed replacement were:

-both fenders
-hood
-bumper
-headlights
-radiator/oil coolers/condensor
-front frame extensions

and they added "the damage was BEFORE the subframe, so nothing is out of alignment. the front inner wheel liners wernt even damaged, most was cosmetic. the radiators/coolers were bent from impact, so they were replaced. everything was OEM BMW parts. an alignment spec sheet is available to show no frame damage or suspension damage"

They are assuring me that the car is fully functional and operational, and OEM quality, just with the salvage title of course. I'm very skeptical and worried about buying such an expensive car with a salvage title, but I'd be passing up a great opportunity if it really is OEM quality. There's a fork in the road, as they say, and I'm not sure which way to go.

What do you guys think? Im worried about the resale value on a salvage title car as well.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2009, 11:26 PM   #7
rzm3
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

I live in Houston and would love to help you out. BUT... don't do it. In this economy there are/will be plenty of used M3s that are under 50k. Spend a few more thousand for the resale value and peace of mind. You'd feel that you got a bargain now... but in a couple years, the overall cost of ownership is probably gonna be higher due to the lower resale value.

And to me... no repair is ever OEM quality... robots are much better at some jobs than humans.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2009, 11:36 PM   #8
Uncleruckus34
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rldzhao View Post
I live in Houston and would love to help you out. BUT... don't do it. In this economy there are/will be plenty of used M3s that are under 50k. Spend a few more thousand for the resale value and peace of mind. You'd feel that you got a bargain now... but in a couple years, the overall cost of ownership is probably gonna be higher due to the lower resale value.

And to me... no repair is ever OEM quality... robots are much better at some jobs than humans.
Wise words, I'm leaning heavily towards walking away and waiting for my next opportunity. You, my friend, have the MOST gorgeous M3 I have ever seen.
Appreciate 0