BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > USA - Southwest

EXXEL Distributions

08-28-2012, 09:34 AM   #265
Jayhawk123456
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 M5 E60

Any chance we can see the photos from the photographer at the event?

2006 E60 M5
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2012, 09:41 AM   #266
zkansasz
STFU
Rep
Drives: A horse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhawk123456 View Post
I took some iphone pics and posted on houston bmw fb page
and other person had done the same, but with professional pictures
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2012, 09:47 AM   #267
M3roar
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 e92 M3

Garage List
2010 BMW M3 e92  [9.34]
1998 BMW M3  [8.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjae1976
Here are some pics if the current state of my tires which would explain why I was sliding everywhere. It always rains when my tires get bald.

But you slide around like that with r comps..... Hahaha Jk.... Sorta.
      08-28-2012, 09:47 AM   #268
bigjae1976
Major General
Rep
Drives: 11 E90 M3 Individual

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [4.50]
2011 BMW E90 M3  [5.25]
2013 BMW 328i  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXmtrhed
^
James,

Looking at the second picture it appears that the inside of your tire is worn. How much camber are you running?
-3.5ish up front and 38psi hot. I might dial it back a bit but I need to start taking tire temps. I'm thinking a lot of that wear on the inside is from the street miles. I usually run toe out for my track settings but the guy who aligned insisted on no toe. Do if I go to street camber I'll have a lot of toe in. Honestly, the car was much better on turn in with a little toe out.

I might have gotten one more day out of them if I had less camber on the street.
2000 E36/7 Z3 Steel Blue
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2012, 09:48 AM   #269
bigjae1976
Major General
Rep

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [4.50]
2011 BMW E90 M3  [5.25]
2013 BMW 328i  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3roar
But you slide around like that with r comps..... Hahaha Jk.... Sorta.
Slide or spin? Lol
2000 E36/7 Z3 Steel Blue

Last edited by bigjae1976; 08-28-2012 at 10:57 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2012, 10:45 AM   #270
TXmtrhed
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjae1976 View Post
-3.5ish up front and 38psi hot. I might dial it back a bit but I need to start taking tire temps. I'm thinking a lot of that wear on the inside is from the street miles. I usually run toe out for my track settings but the guy who aligned insisted on no toe. Do if I go to street camber I'll have a lot of toe in. Honestly, the car was much better on turn in with a little toe out.

I might have gotten one more day out of them if I had less camber on the street.
If you're running anything but 0 toe with that camber you'll see a lot more wear while driving on the street. If your alignment tech is willing to work with you, you could set your toe to your track specs and mark the camber plates to the camber you'd have to adjust to to get zero toe for the street. Then you'd just adjust the camber back and forth. Perhaps easier said than done.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2012, 10:57 AM   #271
bigjae1976
Major General
Rep

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [4.50]
2011 BMW E90 M3  [5.25]
2013 BMW 328i  [5.00]
I'm not so sure. I had the same tires before this set and got about a similar wear rate with those. They didn't last as long because I waited too long to rotate them.

I usually run about .03 degrees of toe out for the track...forget what the street setting was. At this point, 50+ sessions out of a set of tires...I'm very happy. Way better than the conti slicks...4-8 sessions.
2000 E36/7 Z3 Steel Blue
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2012, 01:24 PM   #272
bdaddylo
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjae1976 View Post
Here are some pics if the current state of my tires which would explain why I was sliding everywhere. It always rains when my tires get bald.
Why are you tracking your car on such poor tires. They're bald and heat cylcled out. The tech inspection form says nothing less than 3/32" for street tires. This is why I dread the club's self inspection policy. If you can't pass inspection, you're just asking for trouble for yourself and everyone on the track.

Safety over saving a buck please!!!

1991 E30 M3/Brilliantrot
2017 F80 M3/AW
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2012, 02:26 PM   #273
M3roar
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2010 BMW M3 e92  [9.34]
1998 BMW M3  [8.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdaddylo View Post
Why are you tracking your car on such poor tires. They're bald and heat cylcled out. The tech inspection form says nothing less than 3/32" for street tires. This is why I dread the club's self inspection policy. If you can't pass inspection, you're just asking for trouble for yourself and everyone on the track.

Safety over saving a buck please!!!
I couldnt agree more. Not to mention after Richards warning some people still spun out with no apparent penalty.

I let some drivers pass me just cause they were driving wreckless... not smooth and fast.

These events will go south very fast if people cant learn to control themselves and make sure theyre safe. If you want to RACE. Join a league. This is performance driving, fun and safe. If anyone wrecks into me. As nice as I am. I will own your house before the day is over.
      08-28-2012, 08:53 PM   #274
Franklin Joseph
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW

Lets get some support...hmm
I spoke to a few folks who complained about you being overly aggressive on track, and making them uncomfortable. (hounding their bumper going deep into the brake zone). This is fine in racing or tracking with friends, but not at track day with new folks.

Talking about drama - so why dont you back that statement up? just becuase they get outta the car in the parade lap, they shouldnt be instructors? Do you even know our full track experience? or you just like running your mouth? It was stupid of me to get out, but it was the parade lap and i wanted to get the event rolling quickly.

"had two get out of the car on the track on Satuday at Houston MSR. IMO, you shouldn't be an instructor if you're doing that"

end of my rant....

Franklin (havent had an off in years and shouldnt be an instructor)
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2012, 09:31 PM   #275
ThunderMoose
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: PY E46 M3 and SG E46 M3

This thread is going downhill fast.

Firstly, we all managed to take our homes in the condition we brought them. Except for the E46 M3, but that was a function of his car's beginning condition.

Secondly, none of us would speak to each other face to face in the same way you guys are arguing in the thread. If so, I applaud you for being so frank. But if someone thought James was being too aggressive, one of you guys could've pulled him aside.

I will say that running CCW, that you can carry a lot more speed into Diamond's Edge and in Gut Check by driving straighter through the kinks which can be disconcerting if you're trying to weave. I'd venture to say that was a bit of that which drove the comments you received. Probably not the line for novice group, but should've been ok for advanced and intermediate. If not, let me apologize right now to Phil, because that was the line I took through Diamond's Edge trying to catch up to him.

I have driven with Flav (MRoar) and James (BigJae76) and you guys are both solid drivers and I have never felt unsafe driving around you. Admittedly, I point you guys by quite often.

Franklin - I thank you for being an instructor with M Club and I know that you have a lot of track experience. However, even you admit it was a bit ironic that one of the instructors spun out on the parade lap while supposedly checking his cell phone. And then having folks get out of the car to help. Being the parade lap, it probably wasn't as unsafe as in normal track conditions.

I think one point that we can improve on for the M Club is providing some classroom instruction for the novice drivers. We usually have a shortage of instructors, and many of the new folks (even those in intermediate group) would benefit from simple track basics (straight line braking, smooth inputs, proper point bys, checking mirrors, etc.)

I enjoy driving with my M Club friends and also with my PDS friends, many of which are the same. I say we shut down the back and forth on the internet for now. Look each other in the eye next time we meet, get our issues out face to face, shake hands, and drive safe.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2012, 10:20 PM   #276
BillLee
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
09 E92 M3  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhawk123456 View Post
Hey Jay, i think i got some for you. http://billyby.smugmug.com/Cars/Even...4240&k=8TmTVBk
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2012, 10:25 PM   #277
///M Ryder
Grown Azz Man
United_States
Rep
Drives: GT4

Can't we all just get along

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderMoose View Post
This thread is going downhill fast.

Firstly, we all managed to take our homes in the condition we brought them. Except for the E46 M3, but that was a function of his car's beginning condition.

Secondly, none of us would speak to each other face to face in the same way you guys are arguing in the thread. If so, I applaud you for being so frank. But if someone thought James was being too aggressive, one of you guys could've pulled him aside.

I will say that running CCW, that you can carry a lot more speed into Diamond's Edge and in Gut Check by driving straighter through the kinks which can be disconcerting if you're trying to weave. I'd venture to say that was a bit of that which drove the comments you received. Probably not the line for novice group, but should've been ok for advanced and intermediate. If not, let me apologize right now to Phil, because that was the line I took through Diamond's Edge trying to catch up to him.

I have driven with Flav (MRoar) and James (BigJae76) and you guys are both solid drivers and I have never felt unsafe driving around you. Admittedly, I point you guys by quite often.

Franklin - I thank you for being an instructor with M Club and I know that you have a lot of track experience. However, even you admit it was a bit ironic that one of the instructors spun out on the parade lap while supposedly checking his cell phone. And then having folks get out of the car to help. Being the parade lap, it probably wasn't as unsafe as in normal track conditions.

I think one point that we can improve on for the M Club is providing some classroom instruction for the novice drivers. We usually have a shortage of instructors, and many of the new folks (even those in intermediate group) would benefit from simple track basics (straight line braking, smooth inputs, proper point bys, checking mirrors, etc.)

I enjoy driving with my M Club friends and also with my PDS friends, many of which are the same. I say we shut down the back and forth on the internet for now. Look each other in the eye next time we meet, get our issues out face to face, shake hands, and drive safe.
WOW..........how did we get here? Denis you are correct in stating that this thread is going south very quick. I too believe that we don't need to air the dirty-dirty on this forum. If you guys have concerns please contact me or one of our track coordinators. And yes I know there has been some concern expressed to me, but this forum is not the place to call me to action. Let's use the forum to spread the word and talk good, clean, friendly trash. As these events grow in size, there will be the occasional slip up or mis-fire. Safety is and will always be the number concern at these events. I think some of you guys have some extra fuel in your tanks that you should've burned off at the track. I'm asking you to put this to bed and let's move past this. I assure you that all your concerns and ideas will be addressed.

So Denis, no apology needed for the short cuts you were taking. The gut check was a easy line to take......I was trying to get through Diamond's Edge as quick as possible. Scrubbing seconds there was my goal as I saw you gaining ground ........................Phil
2016 GT4.....Sapphire Blue Metallic, Platinum stitch Leather/Alcantara interior, Carbon Fiber Trim, PCM w/Nav, Guards Red Belts, 2 Zone Climate, Sport Chrono, LWB, Smokers Pack, Big Gas Tank, Light Design Pack, Bi-Xenon w/PDL, Auto Dim Mirror, Clear Side Markers, GTS Clear Taillights
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2012, 11:00 PM   #278
M3roar
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2010 BMW M3 e92  [9.34]
1998 BMW M3  [8.50]
Wow, I'm sorry but I was kidding about the house.

Not kidding about overly aggressive driving.

I guess it's safe to say that whoever said we should talk face to face with anyone if we have an issue is right. Let me be the first to apologize for not doing so.
      08-28-2012, 11:28 PM   #279
///M Ryder
Grown Azz Man
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3roar View Post
Wow, I'm sorry but I was kidding about the house.

Not kidding about overly aggressive driving.

I guess it's safe to say that whoever said we should talk face to face with anyone if we have an issue is right. Let me be the first to apologize for not doing so.
2016 GT4.....Sapphire Blue Metallic, Platinum stitch Leather/Alcantara interior, Carbon Fiber Trim, PCM w/Nav, Guards Red Belts, 2 Zone Climate, Sport Chrono, LWB, Smokers Pack, Big Gas Tank, Light Design Pack, Bi-Xenon w/PDL, Auto Dim Mirror, Clear Side Markers, GTS Clear Taillights
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2012, 08:13 AM   #280
mauroavella
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 AW E92 & 2010 PB E70

Wow, I've seen 200+ pictures posted and the only one of me is one of the rear right wheel... well, hopefully next time.

Anyway, it was nice meeting everyone, the track was a lot of fun and the weather was great for what we were there doing... changing conditions made it that much fun.

I definitely glad I moved to texas...
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2012, 08:32 AM   #281
///M Ryder
Grown Azz Man
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauroavella View Post
Wow, I've seen 200+ pictures posted and the only one of me is one of the rear right wheel... well, hopefully next time.

Anyway, it was nice meeting everyone, the track was a lot of fun and the weather was great for what we were there doing... changing conditions made it that much fun.

I definitely glad I moved to texas...
Next event is coming soon..........get your track wheels quick .............Phil
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2012, 09:13 AM   #282
M3roar
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2010 BMW M3 e92  [9.34]
1998 BMW M3  [8.50]
One big thing I liked about this last event was ride alongs for the beginners. Instructors might not always be available. So advanced group giving ride alongs for their first session ( or any session ) is great!! Maybe intermediate should get the track first so advanced and beginners could talk, meet and arrange ride alongs.
      08-29-2012, 09:26 AM   #283
ThunderMoose
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: PY E46 M3 and SG E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3roar
One big thing I liked about this last event was ride alongs for the beginners. Instructors might not always be available. So advanced group giving ride alongs for their first session ( or any session ) is great!! Maybe intermediate should get the track first so advanced and beginners could talk, meet and arrange ride alongs.
+1
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2012, 09:42 AM   #284
///M Ryder
Grown Azz Man
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3roar View Post
We had a meeting yesterday.......we are indeed working on tweaking a few things. Depending on the date of the next event, you'll see some changes quicker than others. Thanks for the suggestions guys......these events get better and better as we continue to have them..........Phil
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2012, 10:21 AM   #285
rzm3
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Thanks everyone for your comments. Our M Club is only one year new, so there are always things we can do better. Thanks, again, for your feedback.

With regard to some of the avoidable incidents on Saturday, I think it would be fair to say that all of us make mistakes. But we will implement mechanisms and processes to ensure that these incidents do not happen again.

Your comments and feedback are very important to us, so please keep them coming

Time to go back to packing...
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2012, 11:46 AM   #286
///M Ryder
Grown Azz Man
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLDZHAO View Post
Time to go back to packing...
Yeah get back to packing you slacker ...............Phil
Appreciate 0