BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

BPM

07-25-2011, 01:35 PM   #1
xccess
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: none

noise came from rear brake passenger after left Ebrake on

friend drove my car for like 1-2 miles with E-brake on, now I hear this grind/rattle metal on rear passenger, I took a wheels and take a look,see nothing touch could cause the grind or rattle and everything seem to clear. I even compress the caliper to look for any sign that could cause rattle. if I go straight line it seem ok, but any turn it will sound louder and louder.. any thought ?
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2011, 01:45 PM   #2
Seattle S65B40
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 e92 M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by xccess View Post
friend drove my car for like 1-2 miles with E-brake on, now I hear this grind/rattle metal on rear passenger, I took a wheels and take a look,see nothing touch could cause the grind or rattle and everything seem to clear. I even compress the caliper to look for any sign that could cause rattle. if I go straight line it seem ok, but any turn it will sound louder and louder.. any thought ?
Lots of fail in here. First, why would you let him drive your car? Second, how could he have not heard/seen the "e-brake warning/idrive chime?" or the lights in the dash? If it was barely up, it's not a big deal. if it was more engaged, then I think that could have contributed to your problem.

Anyway, if the sound you're hearing is consistent and increases in frequency as you speed up, it may be related to the Ebrake spring. If it sounds like the cowbell sound, search for the thread I started a while back (2/11) and see what some members said to do about that in that thread.

Club 6MT
2008 E92 M3 6MT, AW/Blk Ext., brushed aluminum
2006 E46 M3 ZCP 6MT Carbon blk/blk(sold)
2001 E46 325Xi 5MT Jet Blk/Blk (sold)
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2011, 02:04 PM   #3
xccess
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle S65B40 View Post
Lots of fail in here. First, why would you let him drive your car? Second, how could he have not heard/seen the "e-brake warning/idrive chime?" or the lights in the dash? If it was barely up, it's not a big deal. if it was more engaged, then I think that could have contributed to your problem.

Anyway, if the sound you're hearing is consistent and increases in frequency as you speed up, it may be related to the Ebrake spring. If it sounds like the cowbell sound, search for the thread I started a while back (2/11) and see what some members said to do about that in that thread.
what cowbell ? you mean the one sound ding ding ? if that the case it not, just hear it more as speed increase and sound more like rattle
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2011, 02:08 PM   #4
Seattle S65B40
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 e92 M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Read through this thread:

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=490597

Club 6MT
2008 E92 M3 6MT, AW/Blk Ext., brushed aluminum
2006 E46 M3 ZCP 6MT Carbon blk/blk(sold)
2001 E46 325Xi 5MT Jet Blk/Blk (sold)
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2011, 02:18 PM   #5
Beck white
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Jerez black m3 loaded

Friend cruising my new car... Gone wrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by xccess View Post

I had the same situation/problem. Did he happen to get into a mis hap on that 1-2 mile drive bc mine started making that noise for a short time after I go my brand new 11.25' M back from the shop... A "buddy" of mine caused $44,000 in damage to my month old baby. I was pissed although I would hear a (KurClunk) noise everytime I made a hard right turn. Supposedly it was the passengers rear brake that was locking up in the middle of the turn. I never got it fixed but BMW said it was soon turning into a nation-wide recall for all the 2011 models. Over the course of about a month and a half the noise started going away. Is that what you're experiencing
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2011, 02:24 PM   #6
xccess
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle S65B40 View Post
wow that the same things I had.. I am gonna read through the whole thread to get the idea what I am looking at... thanks
Appreciate 0