BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

12-21-2007, 04:11 PM   #1
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

Lightbulb The new BMW M3 (e93) Convertible - "The Expression of Velocity"...

Resolution .... A time to reflect , a time to admire , a time to look forward... A time to Engage...

Endurance... "Form and function with equal emphasis..."

Stamina... "Principle of Innovation , not immitation..."

Engagement ... " Precision without restriction..."

Kinetic Symphony ... "The Art of Precison in Seven movements"

The new BMW M3 Convertible

"The Expression of Velocity"...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-21-2007, 04:53 PM   #2
mofomat
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Audi R8 V10, BMW 330e Touring

Oh please, don't tease us Sir.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2007, 04:57 PM   #3
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

That cab looks hot, especially in that color!
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2007, 05:17 PM   #4
Just_me
Captain
Rep
Drives: RWD

the new DCT gearbox - "The Art of Precison in Seven movements"
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2007, 06:12 PM   #5
aerisolphaln
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '05 G35 coupe 6MT

Where the HELL is M-DCT???

When the HELL are we going to have pricing???

06/2008: M3, 335+Dinan, or ...
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2007, 06:23 PM   #6
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Blah, blah, blah Scott. Tell us something we don't know. How about the g%^ d%^$ f#$*ing price!

I love how BMW decides to release (or possibly just debut) the DCT on the convertible. Maximum race and speed technology for the car most likely bought by posers and those who would really want and would buy a true automatic transmission. Oh well I should know by now not to expect us enthusiasts of the M3 (Coupe + CF roof) to be catered to....

Appreciate 0
      12-21-2007, 09:31 PM   #7
Alumac
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: prudently

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
Blah, blah, blah Scott. Tell us something we don't know. How about the g%^ d%^$ f#$*ing price!

I love how BMW decides to release (or possibly just debut) the DCT on the convertible. Maximum race and speed technology for the car most likely bought by posers and those who would really want and would buy a true automatic transmission. Oh well I should know by now not to expect us enthusiasts of the M3 (Coupe + CF roof) to be catered to....

Feeling a bit melodramatic today?

Thanks for the update Scott.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2007, 11:12 PM   #8
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alumac View Post
Feeling a bit melodramatic today?

Thanks for the update Scott.
Frisky yes, melodramatic no. Wrong forum, clearly no.

There is absolutely no new informaton in the OP. We have all already heard that the M-DCT will debut or be released in the E93 M3. I have defended and kindly thanked Scott (a known BMW employee) many times in the past but this post is really a bunch of drivel. Furthemore, although BMW has absolutely no obligations to do anything on a schedule that pleases past and potential customers, the forum is full of many very anxious and frustrated folks on mainly the price issue but on DCT as well. Put simply most of us feel entitled to a price when our cars (again just to be clear not mine per se, but "our" as in cars for some members of the forum) are already being ordered (be them dealer cars which will be sold or not).

I find it inappropriate and disrespectful to many folks here to post things like this given all of the voiced frustrations we have. It is better to say nothing than to tease us with non-novel marketing fluf. I think post also reflects Scott not keeping up with the forum and its prevailing attitudes which is also disrespectful.

Last edited by swamp2; 12-22-2007 at 03:48 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2007, 11:47 PM   #9
OzStriker
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: Ford Falcon Ute, Ducati 1198S

Garage List
swamp, seriously, calm down mate...

Trust me, life is too short to get yourself worked up like that.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2007, 12:06 AM   #10
ruff
Conspicuous consumption
Rep
Drives: 987 S .2, Lemond Zurich

Scott,

Please post more often, even if it is only teasers. There hasn't been any new info from you and your buddies at BMW for ages. When is the e93 going to be released? Hint: Kinetic Symphony ... "The Art of Precison in Seven movements"?
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2007, 03:28 AM   #11
Stahlgrau
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Backwards

Wow....someone's panties are in a bunch.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2007, 03:47 AM   #12
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Oz, ruff, Stahlgrau: How many threads are here with incessant bitching and moaning about both price, DCT delivery and folks very negative opinions of how BWM and BMW NAand even NA dealers are handling this release? I believe I am speaking for many folks here in my above "semi-rant". I am not really all that worked up about it myself. BMWs arrogance and ignorance does put me off a bit, but not enough to really raise my blood pressure at all. Either way I simply find such false teasers that truly offer nothing novel simply arrogant.

Can anyone tell me what is revealed, novel or really a teaser here compared to what we all already know?
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2007, 03:58 AM   #13
Stahlgrau
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Well, I hadn't seen a photo of the convertible. So, there's that.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2007, 04:47 AM   #14
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

I would like to point out that your dilema is with BMW North America not BMW AG in regarding price information for the new BMW M3.
BMW North America will have that information. So in essence I cannot answer something I have no knowledge of...

I would like to point out that the M3 had to complete additional US testing to make it compatible for the US Market, that is why it is taking too long to come to the USA. And of course that the European market has always significant priority for M cars which is why production was catered for Europe first.

I try to keep up with the times when I have time but recently I was involved with the BMW X6 and the M3 Cabrio and unfortunately neither shoot went as smooth or trouble free (Weather for the M3) as I hope they would be.
I have driven the M3 Cabrio on Lanzorotte with the new transmission and think it is a revelation even in automode shifts are notoriously quick and precise.

I am currently working on the MINI Cabrio and are therefore not able to answer every query I am asked. But any way Merry Xmas....
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2007, 05:23 AM   #15
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
I would like to point out that your dilema is with BMW North America not BMW AG in regarding price information for the new BMW M3.
BMW North America will have that information. So in essence I cannot answer something I have no knowledge of...

I would like to point out that the M3 had to complete additional US testing to make it compatible for the US Market, that is why it is taking too long to come to the USA. And of course that the European market has always significant priority for M cars which is why production was catered for Europe first.

I try to keep up with the times when I have time but recently I was involved with the BMW X6 and the M3 Cabrio and unfortunately neither shoot went as smooth or trouble free (Weather for the M3) as I hope they would be.
I have driven the M3 Cabrio on Lanzorotte with the new transmission and think it is a revelation even in automode shifts are notoriously quick and precise.

I am currently working on the MINI Cabrio and are therefore not able to answer every query I am asked. But any way Merry Xmas....
There you go Scott, a much better post IMHO. Thanks much. Soooo much better than the cryptic marketing heavy stuff. See how quickly I can change my mind? It is great to hear that a real person has actually driven the "new transmission" and that you like it. Of course we all want lots of juicy details on the cab and on the DCT but I know better than to ask for anything and put you on the spot. Thanks again for sharing something way more personal and meaningful even though just small details.

As far as price goes it does sound odd that BMW NA has ("will" have) the price but BMW AG has no knowledge of the price. Seems to me the price would be either decided jointly or negotiated in some way but not "decided" by NA.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2007, 07:13 AM   #16
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Thanks for the post Scott! It seems unlikely I will end up in with a cab this time around, but hey, its nice to hear an update, especially about M-DCT.

Any idea when this will all go public? Last time you had said November, but that has come and gone already. Presumably there was some delay in the press release based on the photshoot facing problems due to weather as you had indicated. Will we see a press release in December?

Again, thanks, and Merry Christmas to you too.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2007, 07:27 AM   #17
aerisolphaln
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '05 G35 coupe 6MT

Quote:
That is the most interesting and great piece of information we've had on this forum in literally MONTHS.

Thank you!!!!

06/2008: M3, 335+Dinan, or ...
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2007, 09:47 AM   #18
Keto
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [10.00]
Mmm, scott26, tell me that I should wait the couple of months for DCT begin SOP. Don't tell me I should wait the year.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2007, 04:36 PM   #19
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerisolphaln View Post
That is the most interesting and great piece of information we've had on this forum in literally MONTHS.

Thank you!!!!
+1, exactly, and this shows how dead things truly are. Ugh.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2007, 09:55 PM   #20
BMWCali
Expect the Unusual
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X6M

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
Oz, ruff, Stahlgrau: How many threads are here with incessant bitching and moaning about both price, DCT delivery and folks very negative opinions of how BWM and BMW NAand even NA dealers are handling this release? I believe I am speaking for many folks here in my above "semi-rant". I am not really all that worked up about it myself. BMWs arrogance and ignorance does put me off a bit, but not enough to really raise my blood pressure at all. Either way I simply find such false teasers that truly offer nothing novel simply arrogant.

Can anyone tell me what is revealed, novel or really a teaser here compared to what we all already know?
I say we burn that motherfucka' down (BMW).
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2007, 12:16 AM   #21
Stahlgrau
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Yeah! Boycott BMW! That'll learn 'em.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2007, 01:42 PM   #22
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition

Quote:

Scott,

Thanks for this information. It is good to have someone from BMW to at least acknowledge that DCT exists, and that it is being tested successfully.

I didn't know that the "European market has always significant priority for M cars." That is BMW's call, but it sounds absurd to me given 50% of production is targeted for the US market. I wonder about the rationale associated with such a strategy (and I don't expect you to articulate it or anything).

As to "the M3 had to complete additional US testing to make it compatible for the US Market, that is why it is taking too long to come to the USA": that also sounds absurd to me in this day and age, and I doubt that is the real reason. (If, currently, there was a true competitor to the M3 in the US market, BMW would be selling the car here as well.) That reasoning sounds absurd because global companies, for many reasons which include things like minimizing development costs, have long recognized the need to deal with such market specific issues in parallel with the overall development of the product--especially considering the size and importance of the US market. 15 years ago that global perspective wasn't in focus, but it is now the gold standard. If that is indeed the real reason for the delay, to redesign a product for a major market after it has been fully developed is really behind the times.

I realize my opinions are inconsequential in the greater scheme of things, but what you have expressed has influenced my perception of BMW as a leading global product development organization.

Regardless, thanks again for the information on DCT.
Appreciate 0