BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

07-25-2007, 09:17 AM   #1
turbotko
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 09 E90 M3

Got rolled by a SRT4

Man, I got rolled up by an SRT4 last night. It wasn't stock, that's for sure by all the turbo and BOV noises it was making. We started at about a 20 mph roll (I couldn't ever get him to stop, it might have been different then) and he got about 1/2 a car jump on me, then proceeded to pull a full car by 2nd gear, then another half a car by the top of 3rd. I had DSC completely off and was powershifting each gear, so it was all the 335 had in her.

My car only has 400 miles on it, do any of you guys notice them getting stronger with more miles? My 6MT car doesn't seem as fast as some of our Step loaner cars we have with 10K miles on them.

Guess it's time to pony up for the proceed, I will not have my $50K car getting beat by a neon
      07-25-2007, 09:19 AM   #2
catdog
Banned
Rep
Drives: Porsche 997S

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbotko View Post
Man, I got rolled up by an SRT4 last night. It wasn't stock, that's for sure by all the turbo and BOV noises it was making. We started at about a 20 mph roll (I couldn't ever get him to stop, it might have been different then) and he got about 1/2 a car jump on me, then proceeded to pull a full car by 2nd gear, then another half a car by the top of 3rd. I had DSC completely off and was powershifting each gear, so it was all the 335 had in her.

My car only has 400 miles on it, do any of you guys notice them getting stronger with more miles? My 6MT car doesn't seem as fast as some of our Step loaner cars we have with 10K miles on them.

Guess it's time to pony up for the proceed, I will not have my $50K car getting beat by a neon
There is always going to be someone faster than you out there, just enjoy what you have and "procede with caution" (j/k i am getting procede as soon as v2 is out if <$1400)
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2007, 09:25 AM   #3
judec
born to be turbocharged
Slovakia
Rep
Drives: Not a bimmer yet

shouldnt U be a lil more cautious until U break her in? geeez, stupid boyracers...
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2007, 09:27 AM   #4
Lee Rambler
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 e92 335 6mt, 04 e53 x5 4.4

some of those SRT4's are pretty mean. I've seen 11's already. But you can rest easy knowing you have a complete car that is enjoyable to drive even when not hammering it. I definitely noticed my 335 getting better with some miles on it. Some of it could be the ecu adapting as well. You might want to watch out for him even if you get a piggyback.... go find an infiniti or lexus, you'll feel alot better
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2007, 09:31 AM   #5
uhaulball
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: e90 330xi

id take a 325 e92 over a srt4.... class > speed
      07-25-2007, 09:32 AM   #6
Vinobien
The 3 Day Diet!
United_States
Rep
Drives: Space Gray e92, 88 911 Cab

Garage List
Looks like you were TKO'd turbotko. Oh well, v2 it must be ... like a wrestler on steriods. Although hopefully we don't die.

1988 Porsche 911 Cab, 47k, SW chip, cat pipe, M&K exhaust.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2007, 09:39 AM   #7
E90ice
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi Coupe

At 400 miles the engine is not broken it. It will pick up more power after another 1000-2000 miles.
      07-25-2007, 09:44 AM   #8
AR230WAKEBOARDER
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: MONTEGO BLUE 335I

You need to get procede. There is a cocky Srt-4 driver around here that USED to rev every time he saw me. We have done a couple run's 45-100,60-120 ect and I have walked him pretty good. His said he has everything but bigger turbos. All I know is he has a LOUD exhaust you hear the turbos really well through and loud bov. He said he has run low 13's. Lets just say he doesn't rev at me anymore =)
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2007, 09:47 AM   #9
Carnage
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: people insane

Quote:
Originally Posted by catdog View Post
There is always going to be someone faster than you out there, just enjoy what you have and "procede with caution" (j/k i am getting procede as soon as v2 is out if <$1400)
Even with V2,3,4 or whatever procede there will still be plenty of faster cars out there. Just be happy with the fact that you have one of the best blends of performance and comfort out there.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2007, 10:55 AM   #10
turbodan
Homemade turbo
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1988 BMW 528e...

Racing at < 400 miles = an engine that will use oil later on in life.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2007, 11:19 AM   #11
sdiver68
Expert Road Racer
Rep
Drives: 07 335i e90, 09 335i e93

SRT-4's can be very fast, it's no surprise a modded one is too much for you.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2007, 12:26 PM   #12
DFW_M
Major General
Rep
Drives: Macan GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by catdog View Post
but Neoon...that hurts
Stop racing and enjoy your car...
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2007, 12:27 PM   #13
turbotko
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbodan View Post
Racing at < 400 miles = an engine that will use oil later on in life.
You think so huh? Do you have proof? See, engine break in is a very very controversial subject. Being a BMW master technician and mechanical engineer, I have my own opinions on break in. With the advanced machining processes and materials used in engines today, the rings are usually seated as good as they are going to be in the first 20 miles or so. I also believe that cylinder pressure is required to "push" the rings out against the cylinder walls in order to get them to match a wear pattern.

Agree with me or not (most of you probably won't), I've seen some very convincing evidence (mostly on sport bike engines) that shows a engine that was rode hard from the beginning providing better leak-down numbers and about 10% more power than an engine that was broken in by the manufactures recommendations.

Besides, I'm leasing this car anyway.
      07-25-2007, 12:30 PM   #14
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M235i

eh even if you have Procede you're still gonna get smoked by some of the cars out there. Moral of the story: there will always be someone out there faster than you and that street racing is WRONG!!! take it to the track!
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2007, 12:31 PM   #15
ironjw
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by uhaulball View Post
id take a 325 e92 over a srt4.... class > speed
yup

Quote:
Originally Posted by judec View Post
shouldnt U be a lil more cautious until U break her in? geeez, stupid boyracers...
and yup

be carefull with your car man!!!!
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2007, 12:57 PM   #16
E90ice
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi Coupe

Stop with this "my 50k car got smoked by a much cheaper car". So what? The 335 cost 50k for many other reasons than speed.

You can make a Civic faster than a Ferrari. Big deal! It's fast but still a piece of shit.
      07-25-2007, 12:59 PM   #17
TwinBoost
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Quote:
You think so huh? Do you have proof? See, engine break in is a very very controversial subject. Being a BMW master technician and mechanical engineer, I have my own opinions on break in. With the advanced machining processes and materials used in engines today, the rings are usually seated as good as they are going to be in the first 20 miles or so. I also believe that cylinder pressure is required to "push" the rings out against the cylinder walls in order to get them to match a wear pattern.

Agree with me or not (most of you probably won't), I've seen some very convincing evidence (mostly on sport bike engines) that shows a engine that was rode hard from the beginning providing better leak-down numbers and about 10% more power than an engine that was broken in by the manufactures recommendations.

are you the motoman??

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2007, 01:32 PM   #18
turbotko
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinBoost View Post
LOL, no but I have read this website before. I actually experienced this from when I used to live in the midwest where 600cc micro midgets are in everybodies back yard.

I was at the shop that used to build my micro midget engines hanging out and saw an 04 R6 being ran on the dyno. They had pulled the motor from a brand new bike, dynoed the crap outta it, ran it in a midget for a season and had it back in the original bike chassis making dyno pulls. They also had an 04 R6 in the shop that was a customers bike, but the bike had been broken easy by the owner and now had 1500 miles on it.

Long story short, they dyno'ed both bikes on the same dyno on the same day. The engine that was in the racecar made just less than 8 more horsepower across the powerband then the bike that was broken in by the book. The owner of the shop said this was very normal and they seen it alot.

Needless to say, my 06 636 was broken in under heavy loads from the day it was brand new. :rocks:
      07-25-2007, 02:19 PM   #19
TwinBoost
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Quote:
LOL, no but I have read this website before. I actually experienced this from when I used to live in the midwest where 600cc micro midgets are in everybodies back yard.

I was at the shop that used to build my micro midget engines hanging out and saw an 04 R6 being ran on the dyno. They had pulled the motor from a brand new bike, dynoed the crap outta it, ran it in a midget for a season and had it back in the original bike chassis making dyno pulls. They also had an 04 R6 in the shop that was a customers bike, but the bike had been broken easy by the owner and now had 1500 miles on it.

Long story short, they dyno'ed both bikes on the same dyno on the same day. The engine that was in the racecar made just less than 8 more horsepower across the powerband then the bike that was broken in by the book. The owner of the shop said this was very normal and they seen it alot.

Needless to say, my 06 636 was broken in under heavy loads from the day it was brand new. :rocks:
I completely agree my first car i followed the owners manuel to a T only to find out that when i had dynoed it , it made 10 hp less then they stated in the magazines and at 90 000km it would burn oil if i floored it, In my eyes i believed it was the break in, but i couldn't prove it unless i took apart the engine.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2007, 04:01 PM   #20
xRayx
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 Black 328I sprtpkg w/Xenons

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:

I completely agree. Here is the thing: If your a huge corporation (cars or motorcycles) and your production vehicles are sports cars or sport bikes, you don't want the liability of someone that doesn't know how to drive or ride getting behind the wheel of their first car or on a bike for their first time and just mashing around and possibly kill themselves. What do you do to relieve the burden of all the lawsuits? Establish ground rules in an owners manual for so called "breaking in" in the vehicle. It's more so breaking in the driver/rider. So you tell them to keep it under and certain RPM for an extended amount of time, and then slowly move up in increments. Therefore slowly learning the feel of the car/bike and getting used to the power gradually. Cause some kid could be used to flooring it all the time in his mom's minivan or full throttle on his neighbors scooter then gets a new sports car or Yamaha R1 and thinks he can do the same (can you imagine the outcome?).

Driving/Riding hard for the first few miles will help everything seat well. Every engine in every car/bike has been ran hard before it was ever dropped into the vehicle so you won't be the first one to get that motor purring up in it's high RPM's.

But this is just my opinion and I could be wrong.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2007, 04:55 PM   #21
omg516
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 e90 335i

So according to that Moto-man article, you need to switch to regular oil during the break-in period before running the engine hard?
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2007, 05:14 PM   #22
longtran
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
i've race one on the freeway one time. i hit 140mph and blew him away. i slowed down for him and down shifted on him and blew him away again. that car was fast. i know it wasnt stock. i spoke to my friends shop and he told me those srt4 can have 500+ hp...
Appreciate 0