BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

EXXEL Distributions

07-29-2011, 05:05 AM   #1
Jblack4083
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 ///M3 JB/CB

BMW i8 Concept - Finally a supercar

We've been craving a supercar. I just saw this

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=565272

Name:  i8concept.jpg
Views: 882
Size:  89.5 KB

Now what caught my eye, and is also something we might have known for a while is that this i8 has a combustion engine over its rear axle. So now we know BMW has a platform in its stable that can support a rear mounted engine...

thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2011, 08:55 AM   #2
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

I was thinking the same thing. HOPEFULLY, the'll make an M8 with the V8TT and possibly keep the hybrid powertrain too.
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2011, 09:29 AM   #3
eisenb11
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3 SSII

"super car" is defined by power to weight ratio. That car looks super (and may have a super price), but it's performance is not. 4.6s 0-60 is nowhere near super car performance. We still need a new M1!
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2011, 10:18 AM   #4
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jblack4083 View Post
Now what caught my eye, and is also something we might have known for a while is that this i8 has a combustion engine over its rear axle. So now we know BMW has a platform in its stable that can support a rear mounted engine...

thoughts?
I got the point of your post.

I am cautiously optimistic that this platform could spawn a car outside of the "i" brand. However, I don't know what engines they can fit in there. I guess the N74 V12 would be the obvious choice for a true supercar, or maybe a true S74. But can the platform accomodate it? I am sure they can get 700hp+ from that engine easily. Of course, that doens't exactly fit with their brand values these days. The S63 would be the next obvious choice, and probably cheaper. Certainly lighter. We'll see if they do it. There's talk of an M1 revival, so it would make sense to use an existing platform if they do decide to build it.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2011, 11:58 AM   #5
Seattle S65B40
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 e92 M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by shift@red View Post
Supercar? Yea right. There is nothing supercar about this car.

It looks cool, but for the rumored price of likely 150K, I dont see any appeal.
For realz. I'd rather have a used 997 GT2 at that price.

Club 6MT
2008 E92 M3 6MT, AW/Blk Ext., brushed aluminum
2006 E46 M3 ZCP 6MT Carbon blk/blk(sold)
2001 E46 325Xi 5MT Jet Blk/Blk (sold)
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2011, 11:58 AM   #6
3XTR3M3
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 AW M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post
I was thinking the same thing. HOPEFULLY, the'll make an M8 with the V8TT and possibly keep the hybrid powertrain too.
The BMWi brand will not have any M variants. According to BMW, it's defeats the point of BMWi to have high-performance models.

On a better note, BMW M may end up being it's own sub brand and as unique and independent as BMWi is from BMW as we know it. With the i8 and i3 being as close to production as they are, I believe a lot of focus will be going into M cars now and figuring out what they can use and borrow from BMWi and implement it in BMW M. Also, figuring out a strategy with the future lineup of M cars... M1, M2, M3.

With the new naming structure for the 3series being "3" for the sedans and "4-series" for the coupe, this reinforces the idea of M becoming its own brand because the chances of the next M3 coupe being called a M4 coupe (based on current M naming logic) is close to none. So it has to be an M3 which will be heavily differentiated by BMW M.
      07-29-2011, 12:22 PM   #7
crackberry
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Carrera GTS (997.2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3XTR3M3 View Post
The BMWi brand will not have any M variants. According to BMW, it's defeats the point of BMWi to have high-performance models.

On a better note, BMW M may end up being it's own sub brand and as unique and independent as BMWi is from BMW as we know it. With the i8 and i3 being as close to production as they are, I believe a lot of focus will be going into M cars now and figuring out what they can use and borrow from BMWi and implement it in BMW M. Also, figuring out a strategy with the future lineup of M cars... M1, M2, M3.

With the new naming structure for the 3series being "3" for the sedans and "4-series" for the coupe, this reinforces the idea of M becoming its own brand because the chances of the next M3 coupe being called a M4 coupe (based on current M naming logic) is close to none. So it has to be an M3 which will be heavily differentiated by BMW M.
To me, this is just a shit storm just waiting to happen. It just doesn't make any sense to me, an enthusiast. How is this going to make any sense to the average joe?

And a car that costs 150K for such shitty 0-60 times is ridiculous. This isn't an Aston or Bentley, where class and prestige would make up for the lack luster performance. And this whole hybrid deal, I think it is stupid. Bring out hydrogen cars already.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2011, 12:48 PM   #8
Erhan
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cooper S

I'd buy an Mi6. I demand custom 007 license plate though.
      07-29-2011, 01:02 PM   #9
Z K
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, G20 M340i

That thing looks really ugly.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2011, 01:03 PM   #10
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

yes i agree ugly as hell. maybe its the paint scheme but i think even with that chaged its proportions look silly.

02 Tiag e46 M3|6MT|GC plates|MCS c.o.|GC bars|GC race control arms|GC bushings|BW eng. & tran. mounts|subframe kit|BW race shifter|BW Jaffster|Euro header|BW exhaust|K&N c.a.i.|Epic race tune|Rouge pulleys|Seibon CF hood|CSL bumper|apr gt 250 & splitter|ST-40|XR-2|SS lines|half cage|Recaro profi|Profi 2 harness|BMWpedals|BW studs|
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2011, 01:15 PM   #11
ADV.1 Matt
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: N/A

10 to 1 it will end up a neutered hybrid "look at me i'm a celebrity or rapper" car.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2011, 01:46 PM   #12
3XTR3M3
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackberry View Post
To me, this is just a shit storm just waiting to happen. It just doesn't make any sense to me, an enthusiast. How is this going to make any sense to the average joe?

And a car that costs 150K for such shitty 0-60 times is ridiculous. This isn't an Aston or Bentley, where class and prestige would make up for the lack luster performance. And this whole hybrid deal, I think it is stupid. Bring out hydrogen cars already.
As far as making sense, forget what you knew of the 3-series lineup and re-imagine it. How did people keep up with the numerical naming structure to date? Same way they will pick up on it in a year or two as the 3 series will only be a sedan and the 4 will be a coupe and looked at independently from each other. They already look nothing alike, next gen will have bigger differences, hence easier to differentiate.

In regards to 150k car, you are missing the point entirely and hydrogen project has pretty much been abandoned as there are much more efficient and efficient to realize technologies available.

Also, thanks so much for changing your avatar. I would cringe every time I saw snookie.
      07-29-2011, 02:29 PM   #13
BMW269
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

I always dreamt about a new BMW M1. But now it is too late. I do not care about it anymore. Will it be better than a Ferrari, Porsche, Lambo or even R8? No, so what is the use.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2011, 03:04 PM   #14
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

I feel like a lot of people aren't really reading the OP's post. Either that or it is me and thus my post is completely off topic.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2011, 03:24 PM   #15
HBspeed
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 05 M3, 00 Z3MC, Boxster Spyder

Garage List
If you look at SCOTT26's response from to my post in another thread from today, an M model apparently is not in the cards...

Quote: (HBSpeed)
Cool presentation, I just watched it live. However nothing was said regarding an M model of the i8 which leads me to believe it will be a long time before any such information will be allowed out; not to mention an on sale date.

Guess that solidifies that my next sports car purchase will not be a BMW.

If you want to give such information to bring be back off the ledge however, I am all ears SCOTT26...

SCOT26:
There will be no M model. An M i8 defeats the purpose of the car and of the stand-alone image of the BMWi brand.

This is the future of the Sports car in a sustainable era.

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showpos...04&postcount=7
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2011, 05:24 PM   #16
Jblack4083
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 ///M3 JB/CB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wall$treet View Post
Dude the "i" series is their fuel economy-performance line. This is years old news. This was posted atleast a year or more ago. This line is supposedly their answer to fuel efficiency while still maintaining a performance oriented car.

These are in no way supposed to compete with any dedicated performance car.

Marketing is doing their job though-the whole point is to build a car that does NOT look like a prius or hybrid-so people still want to by them just for the sake of their looks and decent performance.
You obviously did not get the point of my post. That's my fault as I should have explained it better...

The i8 is obviously not a supercar and we know it has existed for a long time. My point is that, with our knowledge of the i8, we also know BMW has a platform that can support a rear mounted engine (mid-engine?). My thought is that this could eventually spawn a rear engined "supercar" based on this same platform. We know BMW is an opportunistic company and maybe they'll see the opportunity and build upon this platform with a more powerful engine.

Although SCOTT26 said there would be no M version of the i8, its important to understand that I'm not suggesting that. What i AM suggesting is that BMW might take some cues used to build the i8 and adapt it to a more powerful road going car... Although the i8 is its own unique car and the i division is its own separate entity, that doesnt mean the companies under BMW's umbrella dont share resources. I wouldn't be surprised if BMW ///M were to take some of the technology and adapt it for its own needs... even if that means only retaining 10% of the i8's characteristics.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2011, 05:53 PM   #17
crackberry
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Carrera GTS (997.2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3XTR3M3 View Post
As far as making sense, forget what you knew of the 3-series lineup and re-imagine it. How did people keep up with the numerical naming structure to date? Same way they will pick up on it in a year or two as the 3 series will only be a sedan and the 4 will be a coupe and looked at independently from each other. They already look nothing alike, next gen will have bigger differences, hence easier to differentiate.

In regards to 150k car, you are missing the point entirely and hydrogen project has pretty much been abandoned as there are much more efficient and efficient to realize technologies available.

Also, thanks so much for changing your avatar. I would cringe every time I saw snookie.
The 3 series sedan, coupe, and convertible all do look the same. There are minor differences, but they are unmistakably the same series, just in different trims. I'd say there are more differences between the sedan and coupe vs the vert considering the roof comes off.

Forget everything about the 3 series and throw out BMW's heritage? Yep sounds like the new BMW to me. Screw NA engines in ///m. Screw the traditional line up we have all come to know and love. Screw everything.

And btw, You're welcome. I laughed so hard about snooki wanting smoosh smoosh. Glad south park was renewed.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2011, 05:55 PM   #18
sensi09
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
I got the point of your post.

I am cautiously optimistic that this platform could spawn a car outside of the "i" brand. However, I don't know what engines they can fit in there. I guess the N74 V12 would be the obvious choice for a true supercar, or maybe a true S74. But can the platform accomodate it? I am sure they can get 700hp+ from that engine easily. Of course, that doens't exactly fit with their brand values these days. The S63 would be the next obvious choice, and probably cheaper. Certainly lighter. We'll see if they do it. There's talk of an M1 revival, so it would make sense to use an existing platform if they do decide to build it.

off-topic, but was the 1-series or the e86/e89 Z4s based on other platforms? Is there any reasoning why they didn't try to make those mid-engine to your knowledge?
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2011, 06:37 PM   #19
3XTR3M3
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackberry View Post
The 3 series sedan, coupe, and convertible all do look the same. There are minor differences, but they are unmistakably the same series, just in different trims. I'd say there are more differences between the sedan and coupe vs the vert considering the roof comes off.

Forget everything about the 3 series and throw out BMW's heritage? Yep sounds like the new BMW to me. Screw NA engines in ///m. Screw the traditional line up we have all come to know and love. Screw everything.

And btw, You're welcome. I laughed so hard about snooki wanting smoosh smoosh. Glad south park was renewed.
Well, the coupe and vert look the same, no question. But the sedan has completely different headlights AND taillights, not even same size, shape or internals. The grills on e90 to e92 are different, trunk is different... making for a considerably different shape between the two. All that leaves us with is the doors (two less on e90 so those are different shapes), fenders (slightly different due to different headlight), quarter panel (again only slightly different due to taillights), hood and roof (roof doesnt matter, hood may be the only panel these two cars share). So all in all, aside from being in the same segment and put aside the fact that you already know its a 3 series coupe or sedan, you can easily badge these cars differently without any issue because they are different enough. The future 3 sedan and coupe will be even more different increasing the visual gap between the two.

As for heritage, it takes you only so far. Simple question for you... you want to see BMW M keep making kick ass cars or you want to see the company fail and no longer exist? Which is it?

You can say turbos are not as kick ass as NA but hey, it is what it is... they need to pull more power (in a safe and reliable manner) while getting great gas milage and polluting less due to regulations. Trust me, if there were a much better way of doing all 3 in a better way while still staying profitable and being able to compete with the global car market, they would do it.

IF BMW does not introduce the cars and categories they are introducing, while changing and adapting to the global automotive climate, AND reworking how they make their sports cars to stay relevant... They will fail. The competition is greater than its ever been. With companies like VW OWNING and sharing technologies between vehicles like Bugatti, Audi, Lamborghini, Bentley, Porsche, etc... Do you really think BMW, as it currently stands, has the budget, resources, and information to keep toping Audi or other competitors? No, they dont.

Again, you want to adapt to changes that are out of BMWs hands or do you want to see them fail and no longer make vehicles?

As a dedicated BMW, 3-series specifically, enthusiast (I'm on my 6th 3-series, 4-th M3), I will take some change over nothing at all.

/William Wallace

Last edited by 3XTR3M3; 07-29-2011 at 06:49 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2011, 06:59 PM   #20
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG & 280 SL on Weekends :

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jblack4083 View Post
We've been craving a supercar. I just saw this

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=565272

Attachment 559540

thoughts?
In 2010 I saw 2 of the Sterling Moss cars being loaded onto an enclosed transporter ... man some super car at close to $900,000- each. If a car looks and drives like this (top speed 340 KM/Hour +) then I don't care where the engine is The problem with this car is you need an extra pair of hands to hang onto your helmet or one hand on the steering wheel and the other on the helmet

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
---> Click here for some good stuff I found

Last edited by Mr. ///M3 RD; 06-12-2012 at 03:28 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2011, 07:22 PM   #21
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG & 280 SL on Weekends :

Garage List
Just another view of the legendary super car With the SLR Stirling Moss Mercedes-Benz and McLaren are adding the crowning glory to the model family of their highly successful SLR super sports car with a new, uncompromisingly spectacular car. There is neither a roof nor a windscreen to separate the driver and passenger from the outside world; they enjoy unadulterated high-speed excitement with all the attributes of a speedster.

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
---> Click here for some good stuff I found

Last edited by Mr. ///M3 RD; 06-12-2012 at 03:28 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2011, 07:30 PM   #22
3XTR3M3
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolf-Dieter View Post
In 2010 I saw 2 of the Sterling Moss cars being loaded onto an enclosed transporter ... man some super car at close to $900,000- each. If a car looks and drives like this (top speed 340 KM/Hour +) then I don't care where the engine is The problem with this car is you need an extra pair of hands to hang onto your helmet or one hand on the steering wheel and the other on the helmet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolf-Dieter View Post
Just another view of the legendary super car With the SLR Stirling Moss Mercedes-Benz and McLaren are adding the crowning glory to the model family of their highly successful SLR super sports car with a new, uncompromisingly spectacular car. There is neither a roof nor a windscreen to separate the driver and passenger from the outside world; they enjoy unadulterated high-speed excitement with all the attributes of a speedster.
Stirling Moss does not approve of the SLR Sterling Moss