BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

Mporium BMW

11-08-2008, 06:15 PM   #89
eagletangogreen
Got Track!!!!!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 M3 coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sticky View Post
Pick up a Vbox, that way we can compare 60-130 numbers by GPS, comparing slips from various tracks in different parts of the country is pointless if we aren't there on the same day.

I can tell you I ran a stock 6MT, pulled it surprisingly easily.
Got a link to the vbox
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2008, 07:41 PM   #90
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 Jerez DCT M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagletangogreen View Post
Got a link to the vbox
here you go: http://vboxusa.com/performancedrift/

The cheaper unit is fine, no reason to get one of the more expensive ones.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2008, 11:03 PM   #91
KINGLEH
Major
Rep
Drives: 00 GTR - 09 E92 M

Quote:
Try going to a track hotshot. These meters are not the same thing, people like them because they show better numbers than they could ever achieve at the strip. My Gtech showed me runing a 13.18 @ 108 in my E46 M3. At the strip, 13.6 @ 104. Funny how that works...

Guess we don't need dragstrips, just iphones.

I'll run the program on my E92 tomorrow, I'm busy getting hammered right now.

easy turbo..... ive had my car 3 1/2 weeks and been to the track twice already... one with turns tho...

if you woulda watched that vid... it shows just how inaccurate Gtechs are...

im gona try to make it to the strip tom... but not lookin like i will....
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2008, 11:06 PM   #92
KINGLEH
Major
Rep

Quote:
/\

I agree that the program is a tool to get you an idea "Ball Park", but going to the strip is the only way.... Since this is not a drag car, and you find your self with crapy 60', your trap speed will tell it all. Unless your drag racing against someone else, your E.T isnt that important, it just shows your driving skills. The trap speed will tell what your car is capable of and anyone trapping 116 at the track = a 11'sec car bottom line, its all in the launch from there.

My time slip as you can see the car on the left ran a 11.8@ 112 its all in the first 60' I am the car on the right..

what kinda car was that?

it falls on its face after the 1/8th....

and i agree... a REAL time can only be done at the track.. but its fun and gives a good estimate....
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2008, 11:10 PM   #93
KINGLEH
Major
Rep

Quote:
I would love to race your car, but I dont street race... We'll just have to compare time slips back and forth..
im in on that too...

us 6 speed guys will show yall how the squeez tenths with some good old fashion powershiftin and poppin clutches....
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2008, 11:12 PM   #94
KINGLEH
Major
Rep

Quote:
Pick up a Vbox, that way we can compare 60-130 numbers by GPS, comparing slips from various tracks in different parts of the country is pointless if we aren't there on the same day.

I can tell you I ran a stock 6MT, pulled it surprisingly easily.

now your contradicting yourself....

time slip is a time slip.....

and yea... ima find a big long hill to go down..... and do that Vbox thing.....
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2008, 11:33 PM   #95
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGLEH View Post
now your contradicting yourself....

time slip is a time slip.....

and yea... ima find a big long hill to go down..... and do that Vbox thing.....
A time slip is not a time slip, what the hell are you smoking?

A car that runs xx.x at one track will run something different at another track. Temp, track prep, elevation, timing system used, these all play a factor.

Sorry, sounds like you don't have much experience with acceleration times considering that you think a slip is a slip and that a G-meter is the same as going to the drag strip. Get on the phone and tell the NHRA they are wasting their time with their correction factors. You realize at the strip your trapspeed is an average of your speed through the last set of lights don't you? That is why you will ALWAYS have an inflated trap speed with this Iphone junk. I can't take your BS anymore so I'm going to go time my car later tonight.

Find yourself a huge hill if you like, the Vbox gives % of incline or decline, but hey, you know your stuff How are we supposed to know you used a flat surface? With something like a Vbox we know, plus it is based on GPS, it isn't skewed by the angle it sits and moves at in the car. You actually think you are running 12.4's @ 117 in a stock M3? That is cute.

Last edited by Sticky; 11-09-2008 at 04:40 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2008, 04:06 AM   #96
footie
Major General
Rep
Drives: i5M60

Garage List
I have seen a video showing the iPhone software to be pretty accurate against the data they received at the dragstrip. It's solely a tool like any other to be used as a guage of how a car is performing. The fact that it proved more accurate than the other setup and cost only £8 sold me on it.

It does the same thing as the dragstrip gear, that is tell you what you run on that day at that temp and it that altitude. It even calculates your output at that time and pretty accurately.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2008, 04:19 AM   #97
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by footie View Post
I have seen a video showing the iPhone software to be pretty accurate against the data they received at the dragstrip. It's solely a tool like any other to be used as a guage of how a car is performing. The fact that it proved more accurate than the other setup and cost only £8 sold me on it.

It does the same thing as the dragstrip gear, that is tell you what you run on that day at that temp and it that altitude. It even calculates your output at that time and pretty accurately.
Exactly, it should be used as a gauge but the way a dragstrip times is *very* different. It is not accurate in giving you the times you will get a dragstrip, but it is accurate in gauging performance and changes in performance (mods, temp, etc.). It is not a substitute for the strip.

Anyway, I was all set up, duct taped the iphone to the center console, and I got to my spot. Right then, it started raining. I couldn't believe it, like it was some kind of sign or something. So here I am, back.

The cool thing about the tool is that it lets you set the trigger higher so I don't think it will be an issue with the DCT creeping to get it to read accurately.

It is a cool toy, but it is very generous. A guy with a 135i got it to read 0-60 in 3.5 seconds on e90post. Another guy: "don't know how accurate this thing is as far as speed goes, i just did the quarter mile in 12.83 @ 124mph ROFL at the trapped speed"... get out to a strip.

Last edited by Sticky; 11-09-2008 at 04:45 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2008, 04:51 AM   #98
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
/\

I agree that the program is a tool to get you an idea "Ball Park", but going to the strip is the only way.... Since this is not a drag car, and you find your self with crapy 60', your trap speed will tell it all. Unless your drag racing against someone else, your E.T isnt that important, it just shows your driving skills. The trap speed will tell what your car is capable of and anyone trapping 116 at the track = a 11'sec car bottom line, its all in the launch from there.

My time slip as you can see the car on the left ran a 11.8@ 112 its all in the first 60' I am the car on the right..

You know what I just can't wrap my head around, your 1/8 mile mph is 86.66 and et is 8.5141.

My 1/8 mph is 87.58 and et is 8.315 yet my 1/4 trap is so much lower than yours. So I beat you to the 1/8, am going faster, and I run a 12.765 at a much lower trap? Something isn't adding up.

Last edited by Sticky; 11-09-2008 at 05:18 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2008, 06:47 AM   #99
footie
Major General
Rep
Drives: i5M60

Garage List
Quote:
The cool thing about the tool is that it lets you set the trigger higher so I don't think it will be an issue with the DCT creeping to get it to read accurately.
I think if you set the G rating higher at the point when it trips the start then DCT shouldn't be a problem.

Quote:
It is a cool toy, but it is very generous. A guy with a 135i got it to read 0-60 in 3.5 seconds on e90post. Another guy: "don't know how accurate this thing is as far as speed goes, I just did the quarter mile in 12.83 @ 124mph ROFL at the trapped speed"... get out to a strip.
I too got a silly reading the first time I used it (yeah even worse than the one I posted), if it isn't properly secured down the figures are meaningless. Though I think if used properly the tool can produce some very accurate figures and easily as good as stuff costing a bucket load more.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2008, 10:56 AM   #100
KINGLEH
Major
Rep

Quote:
A time slip is not a time slip, what the hell are you smoking?

A car that runs xx.x at one track will run something different at another track. Temp, track prep, elevation, timing system used, these all play a factor.

Sorry, sounds like you don't have much experience with acceleration times considering that you think a slip is a slip and that a G-meter is the same as going to the drag strip. Get on the phone and tell the NHRA they are wasting their time with their correction factors. You realize at the strip your trapspeed is an average of your speed through the last set of lights don't you? That is why you will ALWAYS have an inflated trap speed with this Iphone junk. I can't take your BS anymore so I'm going to go time my car later tonight.

Find yourself a huge hill if you like, the Vbox gives % of incline or decline, but hey, you know your stuff How are we supposed to know you used a flat surface? With something like a Vbox we know, plus it is based on GPS, it isn't skewed by the angle it sits and moves at in the car. You actually think you are running 12.4's @ 117 in a stock M3? That is cute.
i searched your posts and it seems like bickering is a typical thing for you....

so im not gona get hung up in this to much...

in the end.. the time slip is what you have.. i know conditions change things.. thats why you go back to the track when the conditions are better...

ive been though the trees plenty of times.....

also in this post you are telling me things that ive already stated earlier in this thread... so if you want to make any kind of point.. ide suggest READ the entire thread.. THEN post.....

this is what i meen....

Quote:
You realize at the strip your trapspeed is an average of your speed through the last set of lights don't you? That is why you will ALWAYS have an inflated trap speed with this Iphone junk.
and if you will look on page 2.... this is what i said almost a week ago.....

Quote:

also.. about the trap speeds compared to the 0-xx speeds.... drag strips measure a average speed from one point to the next to get your mph trap speed.... so the speed indicated isnt your true peak speed....

and ... if the software can do all the things it does... im sure it can measure the correct distance to get a more accurate trap speed.... i believe its 30 feet?... *EDIT*.... it 33 feet....

im positive i could cut a 12.4 at a track.... my car is not stock.. im making around 360 wheel hp SAE on a dynojet....
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2008, 11:02 AM   #101
KINGLEH
Major
Rep

the video... again

Appreciate 0
      11-09-2008, 12:01 PM   #102
eagletangogreen
Got Track!!!!!!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
You know what I just can't wrap my head around, your 1/8 mile mph is 86.66 and et is 8.5141.

My 1/8 mph is 87.58 and et is 8.315 yet my 1/4 trap is so much lower than yours. So I beat you to the 1/8, am going faster, and I run a 12.765 at a much lower trap? Something isn't adding up.
Maybe its your gearing in your automatic... j/K

I am on my way to the strip right now
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2008, 12:11 PM   #103
eagletangogreen
Got Track!!!!!!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
the video... again

Looks like a good time to get a iphone
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2008, 03:28 PM   #104
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
i searched your posts and it seems like bickering is a typical thing for you....

so im not gona get hung up in this to much...

in the end.. the time slip is what you have.. i know conditions change things.. thats why you go back to the track when the conditions are better...

ive been though the trees plenty of times.....

also in this post you are telling me things that ive already stated earlier in this thread... so if you want to make any kind of point.. ide suggest READ the entire thread.. THEN post.....

this is what i meen....

and if you will look on page 2.... this is what i said almost a week ago.....

and ... if the software can do all the things it does... im sure it can measure the correct distance to get a more accurate trap speed.... i believe its 30 feet?... *EDIT*.... it 33 feet....

im positive i could cut a 12.4 at a track.... my car is not stock.. im making around 360 wheel hp SAE on a dynojet....
I'm making more wheel hp than you, and was on drag radials, you think you can do a 12.4 at the track now because your Iphone says so?

You sure you have been through trees with a car at the strip, maybe it was skiis on a slope?

What is typical for me is calling people on BS like saying Iphone software is as accurate as the drag strip. Oh, and people who claim it is more accurate than a Vbox as well without knowing anything about it. Tell me, how are we to know if you used a flat surface? How are we to know how it was mounted (in general)? It is a neat toy, that is all. Your numbers don't mean anything to people who go out to the strip and should be in a different thread. Read the e90post dynolicious thread to get an idea.

You admit the trap speed itself is inflated, one accurate tool eh?

Enjoy running 12.4's in your head
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2008, 03:33 PM   #105
eagletangogreen
Got Track!!!!!!
United_States
Rep

All right guys let keep it this thread clean. Both of you guys have some good points let not let it get under our skins...
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2008, 03:36 PM   #106
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
All right guys let keep it this thread clean. Both of you guys have some good points let not let it get under our skins...
You still going out there today?
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2008, 10:46 PM   #107
///Mcompact
"It's all in the reflexes"
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 X3

Post up your slips from tonight, Leh. I still can't believe you cut those 60fts on those tires...simply insane!

No one is gonna believe you you did it on stock tires (PS2s are stock, right?). I didn't even believe it at first. I saw the slip, looked at your wheels/tires and said "Do it again..I don't believe this slip..DO IT". It was backed up run after run after run, chirping 3rd gear each time!

It easily has better than 12.4's in it in the 1320'.

I gotta say. I wasn't too warm on the new M3's until tonight. Now, I am blown away. It's a bada$$ car.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2008, 10:57 PM   #108
eagletangogreen
Got Track!!!!!!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
You still going out there today?
I went out there (the strip) but theres was a 10mph head wind, all the car where running shitty times (Z06's in the low 12's all 6 of them ) and I am installing the AA exhaust tomorrow. I have a decent base e.t and trap for bone stock. Time to move up with the exhaust and see what I trap.. Stay tuned next week as I put her to the test...

It would be so cool if I can trap a 116mph with just the pipes... and maybe another 2mph with the AA ecu.. we'll see?
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2008, 11:05 PM   #109
eagletangogreen
Got Track!!!!!!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Mcompact View Post
Post up your slips from tonight, Leh. I still can't believe you cut those 60fts on those tires...simply insane!

No one is gonna believe you you did it on stock tires (PS2s are stock, right?). I didn't even believe it at first. I saw the slip, looked at your wheels/tires and said "Do it again..I don't believe this slip..DO IT". It was backed up run after run after run, chirping 3rd gear each time!

It easily has better than 12.4's in it in the 1320'.

I gotta say. I wasn't too warm on the new M3's until tonight. Now, I am blown away. It's a bada$$ car.

Hell Yes post those slips player!!
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2008, 10:30 AM   #110
KINGLEH
Major
Rep

Quote:
I'm making more wheel hp than you, and was on drag radials, you think you can do a 12.4 at the track now because your Iphone says so?

You sure you have been through trees with a car at the strip, maybe it was skiis on a slope?

What is typical for me is calling people on BS like saying Iphone software is as accurate as the drag strip. Oh, and people who claim it is more accurate than a Vbox as well without knowing anything about it. Tell me, how are we to know if you used a flat surface? How are we to know how it was mounted (in general)? It is a neat toy, that is all. Your numbers don't mean anything to people who go out to the strip and should be in a different thread. Read the e90post dynolicious thread to get an idea.

You admit the trap speed itself is inflated, one accurate tool eh?

Enjoy running 12.4's in your head

sticky..... JUST for you.... so i could shut your fingers up... i went to the strip lat night.... 1/8th mile....

WITH iphone in hand.... running it like i did on the street....

best run of the night on the Iphone was a 8.0 at 89mph.......

and here is my best time slip for the night.....

7.88 at 88.3 mph.......

and here is my best 60' for the night....

this is on stock tires... 18s...... what kinda 60's did you get with your automatic sticky?

and Sticky.. post up your entire slip... i want to see your 1/8th time.....

i dont really have much more to say to you.. i think the slips say alot.. about my "lack of track experience" and the Iphone thing....

Now.. go to the track and beat my time... orrrrrr.... just please shut the hell up.....

to everyone else.. you can see that the Iphone defiantly gave a great ballpark number... and thinking back when i did it on the street... it told me 8.2 at 89 with a 2.0 60'..... which really is a accurate number i believe..... considering my time with a 1.7 60'....

also.... my setup was 27 psi 'cold' for the rear tires..... 5 second burnout... 4500 to 5000 launch... initial clutch engagement is soft... (first 10%).... then let it have it.....

also for anyone that wants to know a lil tip.. i would do 2 runs in a row.. then let it cool..... and i noticed that my 2nd run was always my fastest... the car really likes it running temp and tunes for it really well.... so letting it cool off for 30 min didn't really do much...

also my mods are

Eisse sport muffler
AFE filter
AA ecu tune
H&R springs

full intr and weight....

1/4th tank of gas...
Appreciate 0