BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

BPM
Closed Thread

05-14-2018, 10:21 PM   #23
IB M
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 MG/SO ZCP DCT

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [8.50]
2013 BMW M3  [10.00]
What if ur rod bearings are still good and u preventative change them and then the engine blows up because of a bad install. Then is BMW to blame?
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2018, 11:12 PM   #24
Dr. Dre
the doctor
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by dparm View Post
In that case, it seems like you know how to handle this situation -- so go do something about it. Take them to small claims court, call NHTSA, start a class action, or whatever. Everyone just creates threads or replies "me too".

There was someone who tried to start a class action in NJ a while ago but I think the judge threw it out since too few people actually joined it.
So what happens to the guy who is now out of warranty and the his engine blows and BMW tells him to go pound sand for a known issue.

I wonder how you would react if your engine blow up tomorrow. I wonder if you would have the same attitude. I bet if your engine fails your would probably be the first to be on the phone with BMW asking for assistance.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2018, 07:05 AM   #25
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

One guy took BMW to small claims court. BMW did not show up to defend. He got an easy win and BMW paid the $10k limit for that small claims court.

I figured BMW would defend but maybe they did not want to go on the record in that little case with limited damages given the bigger class action case in CA.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2018, 07:08 AM   #26
Not Sure
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Dre View Post
I would be easy to take them to court, even small claims court to get back my $2500.
easy based on what legal theory? you're talking about "preventative" maintenance that you yourself chose to do to a fully functioning car well outside the warranty period.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2018, 08:41 AM   #27
Honda
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
In that case, it seems like you know how to handle this situation -- so go do something about it. Take them to small claims court, call NHTSA, start a class action, or whatever. Everyone just creates threads or replies "me too".

There was someone who tried to start a class action in NJ a while ago but I think the judge threw it out since too few people actually joined it.
and the owner of the car who started it probably sold the car by then and never looked back
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2018, 09:01 AM   #28
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Corvette GS, AMG C63 S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Dre View Post
So what happens to the guy who is now out of warranty and the his engine blows and BMW tells him to go pound sand for a known issue.

I wonder how you would react if your engine blow up tomorrow. I wonder if you would have the same attitude. I bet if your engine fails your would probably be the first to be on the phone with BMW asking for assistance.

Huh? You created this thread claiming to have all of this expertise and now you're turning it around on me for actually agreeing that maybe you should take BMW to court over it? Again, if you're so well-versed in the industry/recalls/legalese, and were personally affected by bearing issues, why don't you go do something about it instead of creating one of another million threads about the problem? This thread does zero to move the discussion forward and I'm done replying.
      05-15-2018, 09:22 AM   #29
Dr. Dre
the doctor
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 Alpine White

Quote:
Huh? You created this thread claiming to have all of this expertise and now you're turning it around on me for actually agreeing that maybe you should take BMW to court over it? Again, if you're so well-versed in the industry/recalls/legalese, and were personally affected by bearing issues, why don't you go do something about it instead of creating one of another million threads about the problem? This thread does zero to move the discussion forward and I'm done replying.
It's called having a life. I don't have time as I suspect most of don't have time go and file a claim. However, if my engine fails I would file a claim against BMW.

It's funny that you didn't answer the question. What happens to the guy who purchased his M3 new and the engine fails due to a known issue. Is it fair if BMW declines to replace his engine or make that person whole? Answer the question? Again, I suspect that you're no different than anyone else that if your engine fails due to a bearing issue you would be the first guy on the phone to BMW asking for help. Get of your high horse.

Last edited by Dr. Dre; 05-15-2018 at 09:28 AM..
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread