BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

03-08-2008, 10:35 PM   #67
M2381
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, GTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajakh View Post
As always, the truth is usually much less apparent on the surface. I don't know you or your friends but in this topic of comparing an M3 vs 335i. I would surmise that most people (>50%) buy an M3 solely for its badge, thereby constituting a "badge whore". Sadly, in life there are many instances of this. Again, my opinion.
Try stating proven facts next time

If you are so confident in your 335 then why are you here calling people buying the M3 badge whores?

Seriously, grow up
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2008, 10:37 PM   #68
Epacy
Reincarnated
Rep
Drives: 02 Maxima SE

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M2381 View Post
If you are so confident in your 335 then why are you here calling people buying the M3 badge whores?

Seriously, grow up

Good statement.
Some of the 335 owners on here are some of the most insecure people I have met.
      03-08-2008, 10:39 PM   #69
MADM4
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

wow u got ur bitch a $73k MB GL450 to cart around the kids, but what did u get urself a 45000 dollar pile of shit 3 series, let me say that again 3 series not M3........
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2008, 10:46 PM   #70
M2381
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sflgator View Post
Either way, I like both cars, but some of you guys really should get over it already...it's kind of pathetic, imho.
Who is the one here with a moded 335 comparing it to a stock M3? Who drives the 335 and is arguing on the M3 forums?

Way to contradict yourself pal by telling us to get over it

Honestly? I can believe we're having this argument right now
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2008, 11:02 PM   #71
sflgator
Major General
Rep
Drives: '09 MB C63 AMG & '08 MB GL450

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARSm3 View Post
wow u got ur bitch a $73k MB GL450 to cart around the kids, but what did u get urself a 45000 dollar pile of shit 3 series, let me say that again 3 series not M3........
Unlike you apparently, I save the best for my wife. And, how dare you call my wife that you f'kin as$hole! It shows just how much of a class act you are. If I wasn't tired of this b.s., I'd report your post to the Admins.

btw -- my car's MSRP was $53k, not $45k...that's the MSRP of a base 335i with 1 or 2 options. And, yes, I drive the MB GL450 quite a bit; my PROcede v2 335i is my work car though which I drive ~ 20k/mi./year.

|2009 RENNtech MB C63 AMG | Black/Black Leather/Black Maple | Premium II | MultiMedia | iPod |
| TeleAid | Charcoal Filter Delete | BMC High-Flow Air Filters | High-Flow Secondary Cats | Clear Side Markers |
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2008, 11:03 PM   #72
sflgator
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2381 View Post
Who is the one here with a moded 335 comparing it to a stock M3? Who drives the 335 and is arguing on the M3 forums?

Way to contradict yourself pal by telling us to get over it

Honestly? I can believe we're having this argument right now
The thread was in fact started on E90Post and moved over here. Apparently, I've offended a few of you; gee, I'm sorry. NOT. Grow up, ppl! It's kind of sad and pathetic already.

Just in case some of you still missed all my previous posts on here, which clearly state my position; for the last time, I've made myself very clear about all of this...

Quote:
Believe it or not, I too am an M3 fan, and will be looking at an E92 M3 in 12 months for my next car...
Quote:

I do respect the M3 and always will, but I'm just going by what other more fortunate ppl have experienced when they have test driven the new E92 M3 and then got back into their tuned 335i's. I will go test drive an E92 M3 out of curiosity (and b/c I would consider it for my next car), but if what the others have said is accurate, then I will most likely get another loaded 335i Coupe and transfer my PROcede v2, wheels, BMC Air Filter, etc. for "more bang for my buck."

One last thing to consider is the gas mileage...my car gets 16-18mpg city / 24 mpg hwy and ~ 20mpg mixed. The M3's gas mileage is more like my wife's MB GL450 SUV.
Quote:
With all that said, I will go test drive an M3 and compare it with my car in order to make an intelligent decision as to which one I like better (and which one I will get 12 months from now).
Quote:
Once again, please do NOT misunderstand me...I am in no way saying a modded 335i is better than an E90/92 M3; just most likely a better bang for your buck....that's it. Like I've said before, I will go test drive the (M-DCT) E92 M3, but if it doesn't "WOW" me, then I will most likely stay with the 335i and transfer my PROcede v2, wheels/tires, etc. My priorities are mainly in straight out speed and performance (with decent handling) and high technology...HP/TQ, Stereo, Navi system, Active Cruise Control, etc.; I don't necessarily feel I have to pay extra for "the entire package" of an M3...different strokes for different folks.
I really cannot be any more clear than all of the above mentioned posts. If some of you are still offended, then I am truly sorry; but there are more than one perspective to any situation. There really is no reason for the personal attacks on me or my WIFE!!!

|2009 RENNtech MB C63 AMG | Black/Black Leather/Black Maple | Premium II | MultiMedia | iPod |
| TeleAid | Charcoal Filter Delete | BMC High-Flow Air Filters | High-Flow Secondary Cats | Clear Side Markers |

Last edited by sflgator; 03-09-2008 at 12:06 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2008, 11:46 PM   #73
M2381
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
If some of you are still offended, then I am truly sorry; but there are more than one perspective to any situation. There really is no reason for the personal attacks on me or my WIFE!!!
Yes I will agree with you that personaly attacks are not necessary.

It was more of the tone such as
"it's kind of pathetic"
that you had that made me, and I'm sure many other so defensive
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2008, 12:42 AM   #74
Ronno111
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 MB E63S-AMG/ 2014 X5 50i

sflgator, I noticed your "suped up 335i" runs 12.812 sec. @ 110.52mph | Best Trap 111.22mph | Running on 93 octane and you also confess now "my car's MSRP was $53k"

The M3 kills these times BONE STOCK, and is actually cheaper when you add your mods!!! However, you have no suspension, cruddy leather, no fender flares, smaller rims, no PS2 tires, no ground effects, no quad exhausts and a 6 cylinder.

I am not antagonizing you, but seriously, why not just get an M3 already? Since 99% of your driving day is not spent zooming light to light at the best 0-60 times, the M3 gives you everything you can ever ask for and then some.

You may want a stealth car, but I on the other hand, want something a little more flashy for the $$$ I am spending. You can put $20k of mods into the 335 but the bottom line is that an M is an M and a 3 is a 3.

Peace!

CURRENTLY: 2014 MB E63AMG-S, CF package loaded, Weistec 725hp ECU on order, Dado downpipes; 2014 BMW X5 50i ||| FORMERLY: 2008 E60 M5 ||| 2011 X5 50i, ECU upgrade to 485hp, LOADED ||| 2009 BMW 335xi, jb4 map5, downpipes, spings, etc. |||
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2008, 08:30 AM   #75
sflgator
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronno111 View Post
sflgator, I noticed your "suped up 335i" runs 12.812 sec. @ 110.52mph | Best Trap 111.22mph | Running on 93 octane and you also confess now "my car's MSRP was $53k"

The M3 kills these times BONE STOCK, and is actually cheaper when you add your mods!!! However, you have no suspension, cruddy leather, no fender flares, smaller rims, no PS2 tires, no ground effects, no quad exhausts and a 6 cylinder.

I am not antagonizing you, but seriously, why not just get an M3 already? Since 99% of your driving day is not spent zooming light to light at the best 0-60 times, the M3 gives you everything you can ever ask for and then some.

You may want a stealth car, but I on the other hand, want something a little more flashy for the $$$ I am spending. You can put $20k of mods into the 335 but the bottom line is that an M is an M and a 3 is a 3.

Peace!
1. I am no where near the fastest 335i, and the track I ran at is notoriously slow. Check out http://www.dragtimes.com/BMW--335i-Drag-Racing.html Plus, I have yet to hear of an E92 M3 "killing" those times (<12.8 sec. @ 111mph), unless they get an absolutely perfect launch with launch control. Let's wait to see some E92 M3 timeslips posted on DragTimes.com before making that "killing" statement. On the other hand, I have seen videos of a PROcede v2 335i "walking away" from an E92 M3....check out the M5Board.com test run videos from Sweden.

2. I had 19" Mich. PS2 tires on my 20lb. monoforged Morr Alloys VS7 wheels ($2,500); after those recently wore out, I decided to give the Falken FK452s a try.

3. I don't need ground effects, nor quad exhaust, and I find the leather to be just fine.

4. I didn't pay the $53k MSRP...paid $49,500.

5. I would NEVER put $20k into mods; more like $5k. Adding in my mods (PROcede v2, wheels, tires, rear lip spoiler, and air filter), it cost me a total of $54,500...so how is that anywhere near a similarly equipped $70k E92 M3? Like I said, it's ~ $15k less expensive.

6. I find the handling of my 335i to be fairly decent @ ~ 0.89g.

7. For my next car in 12 months, I will test drive and consider the M3 and compare it with my PROcede v2 335i.

Last edited by sflgator; 03-09-2008 at 12:36 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2008, 09:42 AM   #76
sflgator
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr325i View Post
If you were a female I'd think about it...
Seriously, I do believe you all the way and I did test many stock 335's and I can only imagine the difference...
However, what really turns me on is not 0-60 or 1/4 mile numbers but overall package. If I were a speed freak, I'd opted for the 330 instead of my 325 (at the time) but they just handled the same...

You can transfer whatever you want to your next 335, but it will NEVER be an M, period. M and other 3ers are not designed or made by the same people, they have pretty much nothing incommon except that roundel...

"Test driving" the M3 will probably not blow you away at all -- 20 minutes on FL turnpike will be as entertaining as in Camry. M3 becomes "alive" where (most of the ) other cars don't and you will not experience that with your test drive, or with three PROcedes in your 335...

If the BMW engineers went purely for speed, they would have put a TT V8 in it and do 3.5 sec to 60, but they went for the whole package...
dr325i...where's your new E90 M3?????? I thought you were definitely getting one?

Appreciate 0
      03-09-2008, 11:37 AM   #77
Joey
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: E63 AMG S

well written

I never post, just read. After reading what all of these highly educated 335 owners have to say, my thoughts are expressed in your post. I have been driving m3s since 1995. its a shame that people who either couldnt wait for the car and bought a 335 or people that cant afford the car have to degrade the car rather than compliment how beautiful it really is. Lets face it, we are all members of the M FORUM for a reason, right? Because we appreciate the history of the M cars and enjoy driving them. Being a Roadfly member for so long and recently switching to this board, I feel its a completely different experience and rather a flame war on whose is bigger rather than lets all be happy and fortunate to have one in the garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keto View Post
The M3 rides better, corners better, handles better, looks better, has better leather, a better stereo, better brakes, better exhaust note, has a better transmission (DCT) and is faster around a track than the 335 with the Procede. Sure, you can further mod the 335 to include brakes, stereo, LSD, a new suspension, exhaust and such, but then the cost... oy. You have a great car, but it's not an M. There are very few parts shared between the 3 and the M3. It's still a 3 series, but the M comes first in the name for a reason.

Comparing the C63 in the M3 forum makes us laugh -- sure, it's faster in a straight line and has more power/torque, but it got DESTROYED on the track in the Top Gear video and was well nigh uncontrollable. If your goal with modding your 335 is to emulate that car, have fun.

Saying that there are cars better than the M3 at all the above criteria I listed is fairly obvious. Find me one that is better than the M3 at the same or better price (that seats 4 comfortably) and I'll consider it. IS-F? Nope. C63? Nope. RS4? Nope.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2008, 11:55 AM   #78
OC ///M
Dr. Octagon
United_States
Rep
Drives: Moonstone e92 M3

Quote:

...For my next car in 12 months, I will test drive and consider the M3 and compare it with my PROcede v2 335i.

Coming from a v2 335 myself, let me tell you, once you drive the M, you will realize that these are two completely different cars...There is no comparison.

I can only agree on one of sflgator's points... bang for the buck. It was a fun car at a very affordable price.

2013 E92 M3 Individual
Sold: 2011 E92 M3 SSII | Sold: 2008 E92 M3 SSII | Into a Wall: 2008 E92 M3 SSII | Sold: 2007 E92 335i JB
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2008, 02:20 PM   #79
roadcarver
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 13 e82 135i /13 F30 335i

Good grief, this thread sounds like something I would see on a site such as ClubSi or something. In my opinion, the M3 and the 335 are both excellent automobiles, no need to put down either one. I would be thrilled to own either. I am getting my ordered Alpine White 328i coupe in about 2 weeks and am about to pee in my pants in anticipation. I drove both the 328i and the 335i in a manual and loved both. I probably would have ponied up the extra cash for the 335 but the fuel pump issues scared me away due to the fact I live in the middle of nowhere 60 miles from the nearest dealer. I just cant get stranded on my way to work, it cant open without me(pharmacist). However the 335i blew me away and Im sure the M3 would also,just maybe in a more hardcore way I would guess.

Seriously, I am thrilled with the perfomance of even the lowly 328i coupe I am getting. The entire 3 series lineup is great and as long as each person loves their car all is good. Of course this is coming from a BMW noobie currently driving a 07 Civic Si. This has been one of the few threads I have come across on this entire forum that reminds me of logging unto some of the Honda boards with their disrespectful and hateful getto trashtalk.

Smile everyone, we are living the American dream.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2008, 02:25 PM   #80
gblansten
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 23 Tesla S Plaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadcarver View Post
Good grief, this thread sounds like something I would see on a site such as ClubSi or something. In my opinion, the M3 and the 335 are both excellent automobiles, no need to put down either one. I would be thrilled to own either. I am getting my ordered Alpine White 328i coupe in about 2 weeks and am about to pee in my pants in anticipation. I drove both the 328i and the 335i in a manual and loved both. I probably would have ponied up the extra cash for the 335 but the fuel pump issues scared me away due to the fact I live in the middle of nowhere 60 miles from the nearest dealer. I just cant get stranded on my way to work, it cant open without me(pharmacist). However the 335i blew me away and Im sure the M3 would also,just maybe in a more hardcore way I would guess.

Seriously, I am thrilled with the perfomance of even the lowly 328i coupe I am getting. The entire 3 series lineup is great and as long as each person loves their car all is good. Of course this is coming from a BMW noobie currently driving a 07 Civic Si. This has been one of the few threads I have come across on this entire forum that reminds me of logging unto some of the Honda boards with their disrespectful and hateful getto trashtalk.

Appreciate 0
      03-09-2008, 02:56 PM   #81
eclipsisNA
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 Estoril 328i M Sport

Garage List
2014 BMW 428i  [7.76]
Quote:

/thread

Damn right we're living that dream.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2008, 03:56 PM   #82
sflgator
Major General
Rep

Quote:

+1. Well said. Thank you. btw -- yes, I had my HPFP die @ ~ 18k mi., and replaced under warranty. Plus, I also had the retrofitted oil cooler put on my car under warranty as well (now, all 335i's w/ sport package come with an extra oil cooler std.), and my car will not go above 250 degrees F.

Appreciate 0