BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

Mporium BMW

08-22-2013, 12:07 AM   #67
begone
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 DCT Compeition Package

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
I'll be getting the new M4 when there's some used models available. Our current E9x's will drop significantly. FI is the future of these high performance engines. Take a look at the beating the 2012 650i is taking right now. It's barely a year old and it's already being discounted 31% or more - and I'm positive it's due to the slight bump in power in the 2013's. OUCH!
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2013, 12:44 AM   #68
Dave07997S
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 Ford Mustang GT

I hate FI cars..always have been a NA guy. Its going to be back to Porsche or believe it or not the new Mustang. It to is going on a diet and rumors having the 2015 GT to get the old Boss powerplant at 440hp.

Dave
2004 BMW M3 Imola/Blk
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2013, 01:07 AM   #69
track_warrior
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Cant believe people complain about the power on a 400+ well balanced car. Who cares about how fast it goes in a straight line, the power is perfect for canyon carving and track driving. If you are competing in a timed track event either 1/4 mile or circuit then i understand the need for more power, the fact is most drivers on here need more driver mods than engine mods. What good is 600 hp when you cant put it down or a NA m3 passes you in a track day because you lack skills. Had a 600whp GT-R and yeah sure its fun but it can get quite boring when the car does everything for you got so bored of it i sold it after 6 months. Want power from a fast saloon and dont care much about handling and driving enjoyment get a C63 also been there done that and im back in an m3. I think the new M4/M3 will be great with lighter weight a tiny bit more power and a more competent chassis, but i do think our cars values will not drop drastically even slower than e46's thanks to the race inspired high reving v8.
      08-22-2013, 08:14 AM   #70
davesaddiction
is fast cars
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E90 M3 6MT SSII BPM Stg II

Quote:
Originally Posted by spr View Post
So awesome! I subscribe to EVO and had to read the article first. I wonder what tires came stock on the CGT. My best friend had one. It was so much fun.
I want to buy this issue and can't find it anywhere in town! Might just have to break down and order it online...
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2013, 08:44 AM   #71
Wolfinwolfsclothing
Banned
Rep
Drives: E92 ///M3 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave07997S View Post
I hate FI cars..always have been a NA guy. Its going to be back to Porsche or believe it or not the new Mustang. It to is going on a diet and rumors having the 2015 GT to get the old Boss powerplant at 440hp.

Dave
I dont like BMWs FI cars...still have a lot to learn and prove.

Quote:
Originally Posted by track_warrior View Post
Cant believe people complain about the power on a 400+ well balanced car. Who cares about how fast it goes in a straight line, the power is perfect for canyon carving and track driving. If you are competing in a timed track event either 1/4 mile or circuit then i understand the need for more power, the fact is most drivers on here need more driver mods than engine mods. What good is 600 hp when you cant put it down or a NA m3 passes you in a track day because you lack skills. Had a 600whp GT-R and yeah sure its fun but it can get quite boring when the car does everything for you got so bored of it i sold it after 6 months. Want power from a fast saloon and dont care much about handling and driving enjoyment get a C63 also been there done that and im back in an m3. I think the new M4/M3 will be great with lighter weight a tiny bit more power and a more competent chassis, but i do think our cars values will not drop drastically even slower than e46's thanks to the race inspired high reving v8.
I honestly dont think many who buy the M3 really buy it for its balance, they just say that.
On the other hand, I used to own a 2006 Cayman S which hands down completely and utterly outhandles anything BMW has ever made (and likely anything car in the world) to this day let alone the new Cayman S, but people complain it doesnt have enough power. Yet, it traps about the same and only at speeds well over 100 mph are you going to see any difference. And even then the cayman has much better aero and would likely be able to achieve higher top end speed. But again, people love to brag about power numbers when 99.999% of them cannot and wont ever be able to push the car in stock form to anywhere close to its full capabilities.

I personally love the new M4. First reaction was that its probably even a nicer looking car than the e92 M3 which I think is bmws best ive seen. That said, if this car is ~100k fully loaded its a no go. BMW offers a great product but nowhere near premium enough to justify that type of price. Thats the reason why the M6 at 120-130K barely sells, and when it does for significant discounts. For that money, Im going back to Porsche where BMW simply cannot compete with a Carrera S (for around that price) let alone the higher end models (as history has clearly shown). The M4 MIGHT be close to what will be a 3-4 year old 991S when it comes out but thats about it. It wont have the agility or handling/feel and all else that goes with it.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2013, 08:44 AM   #72
Giggs
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: R8

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
amazing what people believe. lol.

congratulations everyone. evidently we all just MADE money for buying a mass-production car, driving it thousands of miles, and right as a new model is about to be introduced which is receiving a pretty overwhelming positive reaction aesthetically.

back to reality. even if a sell-off doesn't come from enthusiasts, its coming from the non-enthusiasts - who believe it or not, constitute the overwhelming majority of M3 buyers. prices are going down no matter what. the questions is not if, but how much and how quickly. if the m4 reviews are positive, you can expect a pretty notable and quick price drop.
^this. And unfortunately if you believe anything else you're kidding yourself. Its a mass produced car and it depreciates and will continue to. It will depreciate slower than it has been but it will continue to loose value. End of story.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2013, 08:56 AM   #73
davesaddiction
is fast cars
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E90 M3 6MT SSII BPM Stg II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfinwolfsclothing View Post
I honestly dont think many who buy the M3 really buy it for its balance, they just say that.
On the other hand, I used to own a 2006 Cayman S which hands down completely and utterly outhandles anything BMW has ever made (and likely anything car in the world) to this day let alone the new Cayman S, but people complain it doesnt have enough power. Yet, it traps about the same and only at speeds well over 100 mph are you going to see any difference. And even then the cayman has much better aero and would likely be able to achieve higher top end speed. But again, people love to brag about power numbers when 99.999% of them cannot and wont ever be able to push the car in stock form to anywhere close to its full capabilities.
I love the balance and handling of this car, and I hope to have a Cayman S one day, but I will admit that in choosing a sports car, I did want something that also had enough power to get off the line in front of 95% of the cars on the road. So, the current BRZ/FRS and base Cayman and Boxster are off the list for me.

Sufficient power is also needed for the types of drives I like to go on - curvy back roads with very few (and short) opportunities to pass. I feel like my car has the perfect amount of juice for this. The only thing that could make it better is a diet.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2013, 08:59 AM   #74
Wolfinwolfsclothing
Banned
Rep
Drives: E92 ///M3 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by davesaddiction View Post
I love the balance and handling of this car, and I hope to have a Cayman S one day, but I will admit that in choosing a sports car, I did want something that also had enough power to get off the line in front of 95% of the cars on the road. So, the current BRZ/FRS and base Cayman and Boxster are off the list for me.

Sufficient power is also needed for the types of drives I like to go on - curvy back roads with very few (and short) opportunities to pass. I feel like my car has the perfect amount of juice for this. The only thing that could make it better is a diet.
And S model Cayman S does just that...with PDK the car is faster than my stock e92 m3 6mt was and would keep up well with my dct m3.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2013, 12:46 PM   #75
Race 1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

I was saying in 2 series forum, I could never justify spending 60k on the e90 M3 but love the sedan. They did away with it in 2011 and are now coming back out with a sedan only M3 for 2014! I am hoping this drops the price of either the e90/e92 M3's so I can pick one up for a reasonable price if the M2 doesn't make the cut or they do not price them accordingly.

Ultimately I would love to hop in a new car and think the M2 will fit the bill nicely but we still dont know shit about them!

Since I like the e90's a lot more than the e92's (weird I know) I am hoping I do not have to settle for a 2011 e90 M3, and further hope I do not have to settle for a e92 because the e90's price jumped from the release of the 2014 M3 sedan! The only benefit to having the e90 price jump would be that I would be able to snag a e92 thats 2011+ year model release. But I want turbo power (just for mod potential!)

The 1M resell is just retarded so that is out of the question, the e90 is a few years old already, the e92 is a dime a dozen and just doesn't make sense when it only weighs a few pounds less than the e90 ad is much less practical, the new M3 will again be priced higher than what I am really willing to spend to get into one, so I am really banking on this M2 being the perfect car for myself! BMW - Dont make me settle on a RS3, CLA 45 AMG, or some other shit box!
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2013, 12:50 PM   #76
Kwando
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

Are you worried about the riff raft?
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2013, 02:08 PM   #77
nusevad
O! So Sour!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast 240z / Slow M3

Garage List
1971 Datsun 240z  [0.00]
2008 M3  [9.60]
Prices will drop.
Either sell now before it drops further or hang on to the e9x
Ill be hanging on to mine for a couple of more years, dont really care if the prices plummets..i already enjoyed it for 5 years and the pure enjoyment of driving the first and last high revving v8 is priceless.
On the bright side, if prices plummet, mods might get cheaper and replacement engines for shitty rod bearings :P
      09-06-2013, 02:32 PM   #78
US///M3
Banned
Rep
Drives: 1973 Jensen Interceptor

My 08's value is already in the mid 30's...it's the guy with the MY 11,12 or 13 who has to worry.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2013, 03:03 PM   #79
Chill72
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 10 E92 M3 (RIP)

It'll drop no doubt. The moment new M3/4 hits the road you should expect a $5000 drop in re-sale value. Sell now and wait, that's your best bet if you're trying to jump on the new ///M3/4.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2013, 07:38 PM   #80
Cool Steel
Banned
Rep
Drives: M3 E92 ZCP DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by gymtime View Post
I was looking for a car for a while, and as soon as I drove a e92 2013 M3 I fell in love with it and bought it. But now I'm worried that I might have made a bad financial decision with the F80/F82 coming out in a year. Are values going to plummet on e90s M3s or do you think they will hold up?
Well I bought a 2011 M3 for around 55k that was 20k+ below the sticker on the car in 2011. So a 20k loss is horrible already ....with the M4 coming out...may get worse...
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2013, 08:29 PM   #81
HeartMD
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 MW,ZCP E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Steel View Post
Well I bought a 2011 M3 for around 55k that was 20k+ below the sticker on the car in 2011. So a 20k loss is horrible already ....with the M4 coming out...may get worse...
I definately gotta agree with this. Regardless of how much we all love our high reving V8 and it possibly being the last of its kind, society in general always wants to have the newest toys available. I feel that except for a select and rather limited market the E9X will always be special but in general this model will follow the same fate as previous M3's once the New M3/M4 is available.
2011.75 E92 MW/BB extended,ZCP,ZP2,ZCV, IPOD,BMW APPS, Heatedseats,6MT, Edition Black Chrome Grills & Side Gills, CF splitters, CF performance spoiler, CF mirror caps, Turner black anodized pedals, Akropovic Evolution exhaust w/CF tips, Still Undecided on tune, AFE Pro5r, AFE intake scoops, LUX H8
2009 E92 JB/Black 335 xdrive (retired)
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2013, 08:40 PM   #82
4corners
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Jet Black M3 Coupe

Garage List
I bought my car with 54,000 miles on it. I have a little over 85,000 on it now. And it's worth within $1,000 of what I paid for it. In fact Kelley Blue Book assessed it 1500 dollars more than i paid. I got a good deal.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2013, 08:47 PM   #83
TrevorM3
Banned
Rep
Drives: 6.3 AMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by US///M3 View Post
My 08's value is already in the mid 30's...it's the guy with the MY 11,12 or 13 who has to worry.

haha... yup.

I'll never buy new. Wait two years, drop the hammer. Save thousands.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2013, 02:34 PM   #84
Mpatient
ScantilyClad
Rep
Drives: e90M3//e368//e28m5

First and last v8 m3. Once the new models prevail the e9x m3 will depreciate but then in the coming years when people realize it represents the end of an era, they will be extremely sought after and will suddenly become hard to find. It should hold its value better then the e46 m3. All the new models will depreciate 10k right after driving off the lot.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2013, 02:05 PM   #85
V8FunNaturally
Banned
Rep
Drives: Regensburg Factory E92M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpatient View Post
First and last v8 m3. Once the new models prevail the e9x m3 will depreciate but then in the coming years when people realize it represents the end of an era, they will be extremely sought after and will suddenly become hard to find. It should hold its value better then the e46 m3. All the new models will depreciate 10k right after driving off the lot.
There is nothing like stepping into a made to order pristine V8 new car straight from the factory (not even mentioning ED). Just took delivery of my end of June produced 2013 ZCP NA M3. I bought it with the intention to keep it and never sell it. I am never returning to buying used cars, getting something with 50k-100k miles on it is just not the same not to mention previous driving history. 7 years from now the F80 M4/3 will go out of production replaced by yet the Gxx gen M3 with a better TC engine. But there will never be another like high revving NA V8 engine pound for pound the best engine ever made from a purely technological/engineering feat and winning best engine international award four year in a row during its production. Brilliant engine, makes brilliant noise. As someone who planned to keep an M3 for a long time the decision was easy.
F/I engines are better for fuel economy and makes lotīs of torque on low rpms, they are cheaper to make, but they arenīt so masterpiece of engineering. Quoting fellow member Grodeo, " People act like FI is new; we've been here before. FI emerges during times of recession and high fuel costs; the relative hedonism of high-revving NA re-emerges as the cycle continues."
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2013, 02:55 PM   #86
ynotony
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Carrera S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpatient View Post
...and will suddenly become hard to find....
I think over 20,000 were sold in North America, why would they suddenly become hard to find? Rather than suddenly disappearing they will gradually disappear, like all cars, as they are destroyed, scrapped, and age.

This will happen completely independently of any new cars that are released. Nothing will cause people to all of a sudden drive their e9x into the ground more quickly and at a higher rate.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2013, 03:14 PM   #87
Ezio
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 Alfa Romeo, 2023 m240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsweet View Post
There is nothing like stepping into a made to order pristine V8 new car straight from the factory (not even mentioning ED). Just took delivery of my end of June produced 2013 ZCP NA M3. I bought it with the intention to keep it and never sell it. I am never returning to buying used cars, getting something with 50k-100k miles on it is just not the same not to mention previous driving history. 7 years from now the F80 M4/3 will go out of production replaced by yet the Gxx gen M3 with a better TC engine. But there will never be another like high revving NA V8 engine pound for pound the best engine ever made from a purely technological/engineering feat and winning best engine international award four year in a row during its production. Brilliant engine, makes brilliant noise. As someone who planned to keep an M3 for a long time the decision was easy.
F/I engines are better for fuel economy and makes lotīs of torque on low rpms, they are cheaper to make, but they arenīt so masterpiece of engineering. Quoting fellow member Grodeo, " People act like FI is new; we've been here before. FI emerges during times of recession and high fuel costs; the relative hedonism of high-revving NA re-emerges as the cycle continues."
couldn't agree more! I could have afforded and waited for the F80. But like you said, the E92 is more of a living legend.

They just don't make engines like this anymore.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2013, 03:19 PM   #88
ailikesiliu
Captain
Rep
Drives: e90m3 997.2gt3rs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward View Post
The perfect example of a car that isn't half a century old that holds value very well is the "last of the air cooled" 911 cars (993). A well taken care of 993 Turbo or even 993 Carrera S Widebody carries a serious premium these days. 40k-85k for a car from the mid-late 90's.

The only M3 that has ever appreciated in value significantly is the E30. The E36 has no chance and neither does a non CSL E46 IMO. (I know I am leaving out examples like the E36 LTW and E46 GTR etc because they are much rarer).

I think that the E9x will depreciate as any modern M car has. Don't ever see them actually going up in value unless you store one in a chamber for the next 70 years and go sell it at auction when you're 90 years old or dead. I reckon that the E9x will be remembered fondly as a very nice car, yet it probably won't be as desired in 16 years as the 993 is today. It's too cheap of a car to begin with for enough people to keep them in good working order to support any kind of a solid second hand market far in the future.

I also think that in the future...I mean 10+ years, the E9x will be more desired in 6MT. This tech simply does not advance or age at this point whereas I predict DCT will become a complete relic. Especially the way things are going, it will be harder to find any manual transmission sports car, let alone a gas guzzling high revving 8 cylinder.
Very well said.
Appreciate 0