E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > 2006 325i Limp Mode and Stuttering??

02-11-2012, 08:25 PM   #1
HHutch
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

Unhappy 2006 325i Limp Mode and Stuttering??

So, let me start out by saying I have had this car since 2009 and it was relatively problem free until about a year ago (60-70k miles). In the past year, the water pump has gone out, transmission pan cracked, transmission leaking, oil filter housing gasket leak, AC is shot (probably the compressor), power steering went out, an ignition coil went out, and a few more issues that are not coming to mind.

About a month ago, I had the dealership repair the transmission leak, replace the pan, upgrade the transmission software, and replace the one bad coil.

Thursday night, my car wouldn't start. It wouldn't crank or make any noise. I would push the start button and there was no response from the engine. (All of the interior lights, radio, wipers, etc worked but not head/fog lights) I called roadside assistance and they tried for a few hours to jump my car, but no luck. 30 minutes after they left, the car started and all was fine.

Friday morning, same thing. No response when I tried to start the car, I checked all of the battery connections, relays, etc.

Today, the car started after a semi long crank and started sputtering a lot. It almost died once and came back to life. I drove it around the parking lot and it was jerking a lot and was in Limp Mode, but there were no warning lights what so ever. The car will not accelerate over 20mph and there is a really strange noise when I press the acceleration. I was going to drive to a shop to get it checked out but with the rough ride and engine noise, I decided to park it and have it towed on Monday. It almost feels like it is not getting enough gas, but I'm real not sure. After I turned it off, it started once again and I have not tried it since.

Before Thursday, I had no symptoms of their being anything wrong with the car and I was finally happy because I thought everything was finally fixed with the car (except the AC). I think it could be the fuel pump or starter but I'm really not sure. I cannot afford another trip to the dealer, so any input would be GREATLY appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2012, 10:56 PM   #2
TroyDeJ
Banned
Rep
Drives: around aimlessly

limp mode is on 335s and so is the high pressure fuel pump. Your fuel pump can still be bad but thats not a common problem on cars with the n52 power plant. If its under warranty id see if i could lemmon it because i have a 325 with 100k miles and it hasnt had any problems
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2012, 11:35 PM   #3
HHutch
Registered
Rep

maybe its not "limp mode", I don't even know the correct terminology i just assumed because there is an obvious power shortage and it will not go over 20 mph, it feels the same as when the car is overheating and it loses power to protect the engine. (sorry for the bad description) The car is not under warranty anymore, it does have extended maintenance but not factory. I really got screwed over with this car, I love BMW but this may prevent me from every getting another one
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2012, 09:31 AM   #4
Chriztofor
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 325i and '13 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHutch View Post
So, let me start out by saying I have had this car since 2009 and it was relatively problem free until about a year ago (60-70k miles). In the past year, the water pump has gone out, transmission pan cracked, transmission leaking, oil filter housing gasket leak, AC is shot (probably the compressor), power steering went out, an ignition coil went out, and a few more issues that are not coming to mind.

About a month ago, I had the dealership repair the transmission leak, replace the pan, upgrade the transmission software, and replace the one bad coil.

Thursday night, my car wouldn't start. It wouldn't crank or make any noise. I would push the start button and there was no response from the engine. (All of the interior lights, radio, wipers, etc worked but not head/fog lights) I called roadside assistance and they tried for a few hours to jump my car, but no luck. 30 minutes after they left, the car started and all was fine.

Friday morning, same thing. No response when I tried to start the car, I checked all of the battery connections, relays, etc.

Today, the car started after a semi long crank and started sputtering a lot. It almost died once and came back to life. I drove it around the parking lot and it was jerking a lot and was in Limp Mode, but there were no warning lights what so ever. The car will not accelerate over 20mph and there is a really strange noise when I press the acceleration. I was going to drive to a shop to get it checked out but with the rough ride and engine noise, I decided to park it and have it towed on Monday. It almost feels like it is not getting enough gas, but I'm real not sure. After I turned it off, it started once again and I have not tried it since.

Before Thursday, I had no symptoms of their being anything wrong with the car and I was finally happy because I thought everything was finally fixed with the car (except the AC). I think it could be the fuel pump or starter but I'm really not sure. I cannot afford another trip to the dealer, so any input would be GREATLY appreciated.
Get codes pulled, could be another coil gone bad. You need to invest in a peake tool, see my sig..
If no codes are being thrown use Chevron Techron fuel injector cleaner (concentrate). It solves rpm fluctuating upon cold start-up. Also, for most BMW problems start off by scanning your car with the Peake Research Tool. It contains the actual BMW codes. If you want to register a newly installed battery for free (just buy a $10 cable) and google/download BMWLogger
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2012, 01:43 AM   #5
HHutch
Registered
Rep

update**
I took the car to a BMW shop down the street (couldn't afford the tow to the dealer), and they said they can't access my cars computer at all and couldn't figure out why. They kept it overnight and are still trying to diagnose it. I looked at an old invoice from the dealer and it mentions finding a fault in the DME, it doesn't specify other than that. They didn't tell me this and I had no idea until now (the car was under aftermarket warranty but I have since canceled it)

Is it possible that my current problems are related to the fault they found in the DME? If so, why would the dealer not mention it at all to me when I had the rest of my repairs done there?
Appreciate 0