BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

01-08-2009, 10:53 AM   #1
PunjabiM3
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M5 CS

Torque wrenches and floor jacks...

So I have a few questions on these two items. Currently I have a craftsman low profile 2.5 ton floor jack (I think it was around 50 bucks) and a craftsman "digitork" torque wrench. I have had these for quite a long time...I believe they are both around 6-7 yrs old. I do not wrench on my car all that often as I do not mod as much as before. But I will be installing H&R springs soon (they have been sitting for the past 3 weeks) on the M3. So here are my questions:

1. Would the craftsman torque wrench even be accurate anymore? I have heard the craftsman wrenches suck and are a throw away item and that it is far better to buy an expensive torque wrench.

2. How often should you "service" the floor jack? I take it the only thing that needs to be replaced is the oil? Or would it be better to invest some money into a spendy aluminum floor jack (I think they are a few hundred bucks)?

Sorry if these questions sound noob-ish, but I really have not considered the maintainence these tools may need before. I figure it is better to be safe and have them serviced accordingly or replace with newer better units for my own safety and also to be sure all the bolts/nuts on the M3 are tightened correctly! Hope to get some good input on this.
2024 718 GT4 RS | Arctic Grey
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2009, 10:55 AM   #2
elm3
///M Fan
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 E92 M3 IB/'17 f85 X5M LBB

Garage List
2017 BMW / X5M  [9.00]
2009 E92 M3  [10.00]
2004 Yamaha R1  [10.00]
On the torque wrench, you are ok. They do not go out like that with out a lot of use.

I have a torque wrench since 2000 and I only inspect the torque quality one ttime.
'09 E92 ///M3 Interlagos Blue,6MT,Silver Novillo Leather,CF Trim,Premium Package,Technology Package,Cold Weather Package,Premium Sound,19"Wheels,Moonroof-Toy/'17 X5M, Long Beach Blue, Executive Package,Technology Package, Lighting Package, Driver Assist, Full Mughello Red Interior, 21" wheels-Toy/'14 535i with M Sport and 19" wheels-Daily
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2009, 04:04 PM   #3
valeram
Major
Rep
Drives: 992 TTS, 991.2 GT3 T, F80 M3 C

The torque wrench, I think, will be OK. The internal parts are just spring and gear lever.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2009, 04:38 PM   #4
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2 Coupe, 2020 GLE 450

Garage List
Tool maintenance

Quote:
Originally Posted by PunjabiM3 View Post
So I have a few questions on these two items. Currently I have a craftsman low profile 2.5 ton floor jack (I think it was around 50 bucks) and a craftsman "digitork" torque wrench. I have had these for quite a long time...I believe they are both around 6-7 yrs old. I do not wrench on my car all that often as I do not mod as much as before. But I will be installing H&R springs soon (they have been sitting for the past 3 weeks) on the M3. So here are my questions:

1. Would the craftsman torque wrench even be accurate anymore? I have heard the craftsman wrenches suck and are a throw away item and that it is far better to buy an expensive torque wrench.

2. How often should you "service" the floor jack? I take it the only thing that needs to be replaced is the oil? Or would it be better to invest some money into a spendy aluminum floor jack (I think they are a few hundred bucks)?

Sorry if these questions sound noob-ish, but I really have not considered the maintainence these tools may need before. I figure it is better to be safe and have them serviced accordingly or replace with newer better units for my own safety and also to be sure all the bolts/nuts on the M3 are tightened correctly! Hope to get some good input on this.
Unless you are working on vital engine or driveline parts, the torque wrench shoudl be fine. IMO, the jack should not need maintenance unless you notice oil seppage past the seal onto the shaft of the ram. Be sure you have good jack stands you are using with it, though.

My philosophy is to buy the very best tools I can, as they will last a lifetime, in many cases. I've got some Snap-On sockets I got in college 35 years ago which are still perfect. I
ve never broken a Snap-On tool. When you can afford it, you may want to upgrade items and donate your old ones to your nephew. Precision Instruments makes some nice torque wrenches (The Tool Warehouse), and you can find some cool low-profile Euorpean jacks at The Ultimate Garage. Most jacks are Chinese-made now, okay but nothing special. I've got an older American-made Walker floor jack that will outlive me.

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
2023 M2 Coupe - Brooklyn Grey/Cognac/CF, 6MT; 2020 MB GLE 450

Last edited by GregW / Oregon; 01-08-2009 at 09:40 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2009, 07:17 PM   #5
PunjabiM3
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M5 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW / Oregon View Post
Unless you are working on vital engine or driveline parts, the torque wrench shoudl be fine. IMO, the jack should not need maintenance unless youn notice oil seppage past the seal onto the shaft of the ram. Be sure you have good jack stands you are using with it, though.

My philosophy is to buy the very best tools I can, as they will last a lifetime, in many cases. I've got some Snap-on sockets I got in college 35 years ago. When you can afford it, you may want to upgrade items and donate those to your nephew. Precision Instruments makes some nice torque wrenches (The Toole Warehouse), and you can find some cool low-profile euorpean jacks at The Ultimate Garage.
Thanks Greg! Useful info as always.
2024 718 GT4 RS | Arctic Grey
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2009, 08:25 PM   #6
ase2dais
//Mdicted
United_States
Rep
Drives: a Cop Magnet

Garage List
Having been an FAA Airframe and Powerplant mechanic in my previous life,
we always ensure those high precision tools were periodically calibrated, oiled and stored at their lowest settings.

But on yours, I wouldnt worry about it, since you use them for very low torque settings anyway, and just release the pressure on your jack when you store and you'll be fine
Appreciate 0