BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

EXXEL Distributions

10-26-2010, 09:39 PM   #1
White Shark
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3 Civic (Non-ZCP)

Consumer Reports 2010 Reliability Scores: BMW M3

Sorry if repost.

M3 receives the best model (highly reliable vehicle/BMW) rating.

Consumer Reports' 2010 Annual Car Reliability Survey: GM makes big strides, while Honda, Toyota dominate

General Motors has improved considerably, though Honda and Toyota still dominate in the latest predicted-reliability Ratings of new cars, according to Consumer Reports 2010 Annual Auto Survey. Eighty-three percent of Chevrolets, General Motor's major brand, now have average or better scores in predicted reliability, up from 50 percent last year. (See our car Reliability special section, for more details, lists, and ratings.)

While some GM nameplates had been among the least reliable brands in past years, they now rank above some major European competitors such as Audi, BMW, and Mercedes-Benz. Two factors are aiding GM's reliability improvements. First, GM's recent introductions, such as the Chevrolet Camaro and Equinox, Buick LaCrosse V6 (FWD), and Cadillac SRX, are proving reliable from the time they were launched. In addition, GM shed many models with subpar reliability when it shut down the Hummer, Pontiac, and Saturn brands. Even some older models, such as the Chevrolet Avalanche, Corvette, and Suburban have improved to average.

As a company, GM is still a ways from the top when it comes to reliability-the major Asian automakers, including Honda and Toyota, are still out in front. Among the three domestics, Ford continues to build the most reliable vehicles. Chrysler lags behind both GM and Ford. Still, GM made the most progress of the three domestic manufacturers in this survey. Across GM brands (Buick, Cadillac, Chevrolet, and GMC), 69 percent of models had average or better reliability. Cadillac improved the most, rising seven places from last year's ranking. Chevrolet had its best showing in years; 83 percent of models had average or better scores in predicted reliability, up from 50 percent.

In the new survey, based on 1.3 million vehicles, 90 percent of Fords, including Lincoln models, have at least average reliability. As a brand, Ford now outranks Mazda and Nissan and ranks just below Lexus. Its quality renaissance has been led by the Fusion, a design that has been very reliable since its debut five years ago. Ford vehicles are tops for reliability in two categories: family cars (Fusion Hybrid) and large SUVs (Ford Flex EcoBoost). (See how all car brands rank in reliability, available to online subscribers.)

Chrysler Corporation hasn't shared in the success of the other Detroit manufacturers. The Chrysler, Dodge, and Jeep brands are saddled with dated models. Twelve of the 20 models that CR had sufficient data for rate below average in reliability. None of Chrysler Corporation's models score above average. With Fiat's acquisition of Chrysler, many of its products will either be replaced or redesigned in the near future.

Asia Still Dominates

Despite recent safety recalls, Toyota models, including those from Scion and Lexus, remained among the most reliable and earned top scores in five vehicle categories: small cars (Yaris), midsized SUVs (FJ Cruiser), luxury SUVs (Lexus LX), minivans (Sienna V6, FWD), and full-size pickups (Tundra V6). Only the all-wheel-drive Lexus GS and the new Lexus IS 250 convertible are below average. The redesigned 2010 Toyota Prius, hurt by antilock brake problems on early vehicles, scored only average. That is quite a drop from previous years.

Honda and Acura are among the top four brands along with Porsche and Scion, with their models topping five vehicle categories-upscale cars (Acura TL, FWD), luxury cars (Acura RL), small SUVs (CR-V), upscale compact SUVs (Acura RDX) and compact pickups (Ridgeline). Problems with rear brake pads help drop the four-cylinder Accord and Acura TSX to average.

Hyundai and Kia continued to do well, with only one model, the Kia Sedona minivan, rated below average. All six new models for 2010 (Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Sonata, and Tucson; Kia Forte, Sorento, and Soul) had average or better reliability-an impressive first-year showing.

Nissan's mainstream models scored well. The Altima and Maxima sedans; the Murano and Pathfinder SUVs all rated average or better in predicted reliability. The Titan had shown improvement in the last year or two, but both 2WD and 4WD versions have once again dropped to below average reliability. The small Nissan Cube had a below average score in its first appearance in Consumer Reports survey. The Infiniti models were all average or better.

Subaru had a good record overall, with a top rating going to the four-cylinder Legacy sedan and the non-turbo version of the Forester SUV. The WRX was the only model that rated below average.

Europe's Bumpy Road

While European reliability had been improving, momentum seems to have stalled. All Porsche and Volvo models are rated average or better. But Audi, BMW, and Mercedes-Benz are among the worst automakers overall in terms of reliability.

BMW had a bad year, with five of its 11 models scoring below average. While the BMW M3 topped the sporty cars category, the 1-, 3-, and 5-Series models with the 3.0-liter turbocharged (N54) engine had high problem rates related to the fuel system, among other gripes.

Six of Mercedes-Benz's 13 models were below average, and the GLK SUV was far below average. However, the redesigned E350 sedan was above average-a promising start. The new E-Class coupe, a wholly different car from the E-Class sedan, languished in the bottom ranks.

Nearly three-quarters of the Audi models Consumer Reports analyzed were below average. The A6 3.0T with the new supercharged 3.0-liter V6 was tied with the Jaguar XF for the worst new car prediction score. Volkswagen did better, with its Golf, formerly the Rabbit, doing very well and the various Jetta models scoring average or better.

The Porsche Boxster has the best predicted reliability score in Consumer Reports survey.

Consumer Reports Auto Reliability Survey Details

The findings are based on responses on 1.3 million vehicles owned or leased by subscribers to Consumer Reports or ConsumerReports.org. The survey was conducted in the spring of 2010 by Consumer Reports' National Survey Research Center and covered model years 2001 to 2010. Consumer Reports' expert team of statisticians and automotive engineers used the survey data to predict reliability of new 2011 models.

Predicted reliability is Consumer Reports' forecast of how well models currently on sale are likely to hold up. To calculate predicted-reliability ratings, CR averages the overall reliability scores (used car verdicts) for the most recent three model years, provided that the model remained unchanged in that period and also didn't substantially change for 2011. If a model was new or redesigned in the past couple of years, one or two years' data may be used, or if that's all that's available.

On rare occasions Consumer Reports make predictions for a newly redesigned model, but only if previous versions had outstanding reliability.

Consumer Reports Annual Auto Survey Reliability Ratings are unrelated to Consumer Reports vehicle road-test results, but are a key factor in determining whether or not Consumer Reports recommends a car. CR only recommends models that have performed well in tests conducted at its 327-acre Auto Test Center in Connecticut, and that have average or better predicted reliability based on its annual survey. In addition, vehicles must perform at least adequately in government or insurance industry crash and rollover tests, if tested, and have electronic stability control (ESC) readily available in a mainstream high-volume trim line in order to be Recommended by Consumer Reports.
      10-26-2010, 10:18 PM   #2
L4ces
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 Alpine White

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Yeah BMW has a horrible score. yikes!
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2010, 10:34 PM   #3
AZ-BMW
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3 E93 w/DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Shark View Post
M3 receives the best model (highly reliable vehicle/BMW) rating.
Not sure BMW ranking 23 out of 27 in reliability is good news (dropping down 2 from last year). Sorta the best of some of the worst
But look at Porsche (#2)

2009 AW M3 E93 - Black Novillo|DCT|ZTP|ZPP|752 Enh Audio|4UT|Heated Seats|6FL|6NF|
For jpg's: http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthr...=186382&page=4
Traded: 2007 335i E93
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2010, 10:46 PM   #4
MonteCarloM3
Banned
Uzbekistan
Rep
Drives: a shitty M3

you call that a good rating? what would you consider bad?
a corvette z06 is rated better. time for some reading glasses
good for porsche, makes one wonder what the next car will be....hmmm
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2010, 10:53 PM   #5
White Shark
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ-BMW View Post
Not sure BMW ranking 23 out of 27 in reliability is good news (dropping down 2 from last year). Sorta the best of some of the worst
Yes you are right. Good news for M3, but bad for BMW overall.

"BMW had a bad year, with five of its 11 models scoring below average. While the BMW M3 topped the sporty cars category, the 1-, 3-, and 5-Series models with the 3.0-liter turbocharged (N54) engine had high problem rates related to the fuel system, among other gripes"

source: Consumer Reports' 2010 Annual Car Reliability Survey Press Release
(http://www.autoblog.com/2010/10/26/2...res/#continued)
      10-26-2010, 10:59 PM   #6
White Shark
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonteCarloM3 View Post
you call that a good rating? what would you consider bad?
a corvette z06 is rated better. time for some reading glasses
Hmm....each car maker has both Best and Worst model regardless of its overall ranking, and M3 receives the Best rating among all BMW models so I assumed it's good news for M3 owners...
      10-26-2010, 11:08 PM   #7
MonteCarloM3
Banned
Uzbekistan
Rep
Drives: a shitty M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Shark View Post
Hmm....each car maker has both Best and Worst model regardless of its overall ranking, and M3 receives the Best rating among all BMW models so I assumed it's good news for M3 owners...
I guess it's good news if you ignore that there are any other car manufacturers.
Audi sucked ass too, what a shame.
Das Germans better get their sheet together.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2010, 11:10 PM   #8
IFX
Banned
Rep
Drives: AW e46M/N54

Porsche has always been atop in the reliability category..

After an e90M, I know where I'm going.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2010, 06:51 AM   #9
sameh
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Porsche 911S

I love my M3. I have 11000 on it so far but hoping it will be as reliable as my Infiniti G35. that infiniti had almost 100K on it with NO issues what so ever. It ran the day I traded it in my M3 the same as first day if not better. I Only changed tires and brake pads on it, that's it. will see how you do M3??
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2010, 09:17 AM   #10
jacobbmw
Bimmerfan
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 M Sport. 3.0

my 2008 Cayman S never saw the inside of the service department in 3 years. Had 1 oil change and tire change. Not a problem anywhere. No rattles, no squeaks, just pure driving pleasure. My new E90 M3 has a lot to live up to.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2010, 11:42 AM   #11
KJM3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 6MT

M3 is a low production car with enthusiast owners that are most likely a little more forgiving than the zillion 328/335 owners.

I heard yesterday on the news that BMW is being investigated for the HPFP issues by the US government, thought it was odd to hear that on the radio..
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2010, 12:41 PM   #12
Caveatesq
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Porsche 991

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJM3 View Post
M3 is a low production car with enthusiast owners that are most likely a little more forgiving than the zillion 328/335 owners.

I heard yesterday on the news that BMW is being investigated for the HPFP issues by the US government, thought it was odd to hear that on the radio..
Disagree - The enthusiasts that I know, including myself, are far less forgiving when it comes to car problems/defects than the average car owner. That is why Audi and BMW have low ratings when compared to snoozer Lincolns and Buicks.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2010, 12:43 PM   #13
ES_TRADER
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 328i, 335i, M3, 535i, X5, 36M

Garage List
2014 Ford Raptor  [0.00]
2012 328i E92  [10.00]
2013 X5  [0.00]
2013 335i F30  [8.00]
1990 Toyota Previa  [0.00]
1997 E36 M3  [10.00]
2011 E92 M3  [0.00]
2011 535i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caveatesq View Post
Disagree - The enthusiasts that I know, including myself, are far less forgiving when it comes to car problems/defects than the average car owner. That is why Audi and BMW have low ratings when compared to snoozer Lincolns and Buicks.
right on,...u pay a premium over everyone else...they better get that shit straight
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2010, 01:48 PM   #14
paul walker
keep it fast keep it furious
Rep
Drives: MTHREE

I can't believe that the 911 is Porsche's worst model, what a crock I had a dump ass cayenne turbo that for the past two years of owning it it sat in porsche's shop under warranty for over 120 days. Headlight problems, Engine Blew, Transmission Blew, PCM Radio Broke 3 times, Coolant Pipes you name it. Porsche should've bought this dump back but instead they warrantied everything and left the stupid thing up to me to deal with when the car was junk. Ya, 2 quarts of oil every 300-500 miles, porsche reliability there :hammer:
      10-27-2010, 02:01 PM   #15
pumper206
80 Deep, We All Eat!!!
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 2009 AW E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul walker View Post
I can't believe that the 911 is Porsche's worst model, what a crock I had a dump ass cayenne turbo that for the past two years of owning it it sat in porsche's shop under warranty for over 120 days. Headlight problems, Engine Blew, Transmission Blew, PCM Radio Broke 3 times, Coolant Pipes you name it. Porsche should've bought this dump back but instead they warrantied everything and left the stupid thing up to me to deal with when the car was junk. Ya, 2 quarts of oil every 300-500 miles, porsche reliability there :hammer:
R u really Paul Walker?
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2010, 02:08 PM   #16
KJM3
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by richpuer View Post
right on,...u pay a premium over everyone else...they better get that shit straight
Depends what you are buying the car for, myself (and the enthusiasts I know) use the car for what its made to do. To me if a performance car performs as advertised than I'm happy with it. This car has more noises, squeaks and rattles than a 70K car should IMO, but man its a blast to drive..
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2010, 08:09 PM   #17
mdosu
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Double Vanos'd Civic-M3

anyone has a better pic of the diagram? The devil is in the details.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2010, 08:29 PM   #18
ES_TRADER
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 328i, 335i, M3, 535i, X5, 36M

Garage List
2014 Ford Raptor  [0.00]
2012 328i E92  [10.00]
2013 X5  [0.00]
2013 335i F30  [8.00]
1990 Toyota Previa  [0.00]
1997 E36 M3  [10.00]
2011 E92 M3  [0.00]
2011 535i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJM3 View Post
This car has more noises, squeaks and rattles than a 70K car should IMO, but man its a blast to drive..
are u serious?? the m3 does all of the above? i would expect so after 150kmiles but not when its under 50k...shiet i hate rattles...its why i left japanese car brands...all hondas, acura, toyotas are all rattlemonsters...cuz all plastic and cheap china made parts

my 330ci doesnt have one rattle in it and its 140k miles...so i figured buy the M u cant go wrong
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2010, 08:33 PM   #19
gthal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

Quote:
are u serious?? the m3 does all of the above? i would expect so after 150kmiles but not when its under 50k...shiet i hate rattles...its why i left japanese car brands...all hondas, acura, toyotas are all rattlemonsters...cuz all plastic and cheap china made parts

my 330ci doesnt have one rattle in it and its 140k miles...so i figured buy the M u cant go wrong
Every brand of car will have some with squeaks and rattles. But, like you, my M3 is rock solid and has been since day 1. Whenever there is an unusual noise in the car, it is something I put there (change, sunglasses, tire pressure gauge) rattling.
2015 M4 | Austin Yellow | DCT
2012 MB C63AMG | 2011 E92 M3 | 2010 E92 M3
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2010, 09:42 PM   #20
KJM3
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:

I hate interior creaks, squeaks and rattles myself.

Rear end has a bit of whine coasting at 45mph, quite a bit of slack in the drivetrain overall, I get a WTF look from passengers once in a while from it. When hot you can definitely hear the trans with the clutch out. All 'normal' according to forum posts so I tune it out. Except for the differential whine, the dealer said they will replace the diff but if it doesnt get any worse I'll just leave it.

Couple annoying rattles from the rear seat area over bumps, not sure where thats coming from since I dont drive in the back seat but I think its the fold down mechanism since with the seats folded down I dont hear it. Buzz from the dash around the cluster at certain RPMs, I have some of the dash apart now and I'll fix that one myself instead of letting the dealer tear into it. Fixed a rattling heat shield underneath that the dealer couldnt find the other day, nothing serious, just needed some tweaking. There is also a rattle from the front I can hear with the windows down if I hit a bump, there is a small cable that holds some of the bottom trim up thats broken, looks like it was just overtightened when the car was built, 26.00 part that I have on order, dealer will pay for the part and I'll install it. All just little new car things that I wouldnt say reflect any serious quality issues.

Thats at 1500 miles, picked it up with 6 miles on it.

The M3 is a great car, no regrets at all so far, it may sound like I'm complaining about it but I'm not, I really enjoy the car. But its just a car with a lot of parts and in 32 years of buying new cars I havent found a perfect one yet.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2010, 09:37 AM   #21
AZ-BMW
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3 E93 w/DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by gthal View Post
Every brand of car will have some with squeaks and rattles. But, like you, my M3 is rock solid and has been since day 1. Whenever there is an unusual noise in the car, it is something I put there (change, sunglasses, tire pressure gauge) rattling.
+1
~16K miles so far and no squeaks/rattles yet. Just the DCT lag/hesitation safety issue

2009 AW M3 E93 - Black Novillo|DCT|ZTP|ZPP|752 Enh Audio|4UT|Heated Seats|6FL|6NF|
For jpg's: http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthr...=186382&page=4
Traded: 2007 335i E93
Appreciate 0