BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wash, Wax, Detail, Cosmetic Maintenance & Repairs

European Auto Source (EAS)

12-02-2011, 01:52 PM   #1
Superfly_M3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

Clearcoat, Liquid Glass question...

Hi Guys,

I will be picking up my car soon (E90 M3 in Alpine White). My dealer is recomending to put one this "Liqiud Glass" stuff that will make paint look and last much better for longer. He also told me that AW and Jet Black don't have a clear coat ( ... I think thats BS).

I've heard somewhere that the BMW paints have a very thin clear coat (4 microns or so) and that if you buff a new car it will take off that finish gradually.

Can somone chime in on this? Is there are product that work wonders for the paint? Something that bonds with the paint and puts a protective coating so that the paint will look/last longer?

Thanks,
Andy
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2011, 02:02 PM   #2
Z K
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, G20 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superfly_M3 View Post
Hi Guys,

I will be picking up my car soon (E90 M3 in Alpine White). My dealer is recomending to put one this "Liqiud Glass" stuff that will make paint look and last much better for longer. He also told me that AW and Jet Black don't have a clear coat ( ... I think thats BS).

I've heard somewhere that the BMW paints have a very thin clear coat (4 microns or so) and that if you buff a new car it will take off that finish gradually.

Can somone chime in on this? Is there are product that work wonders for the paint? Something that bonds with the paint and puts a protective coating so that the paint will look/last longer?

Thanks,
Andy
Any high quality sealant will bond with the paint and protect it from the elements. They all need reapplication occasionally though. Any polishing will remove clear coat.. that is the same with every car.

What none of these things protect from is rock chips and scratches. For those, you need a clear bra.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2011, 02:04 PM   #3
Superfly_M3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

thanks,

But doesn't the "sealant" need buffing or polishing when applied?
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2011, 02:34 PM   #4
sawzall
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: A Car

Garage List
2012 911S  [10.00]
2011 911 GT3 RS  [0.00]
Quote:
Hi Guys,

Thanks,
Andy
Any dealer who tells you that there is no clear coat on the paint is flat out lying to you (or they're showing a level of ignorance that suggests they should not be in the business). I'd suggest you find a new dealer.

Sealants/waxes to help the car looking great longer, but you'll need to maintain and re-apply them regularly (so yes, you will probably need to polish the car before applying either). There are some nano-coating chemicals (e.g. AQuartz), that some of the detailers on the forums here have tried out, but I don't think there has been too much long term feedback on it yet.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2011, 12:11 AM   #5
Ateam
Banned
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Hi Guys,

Thanks,
Andy
There was some guy flaunting this BS on the forums regarding only having 4 microns of clear! That is total BS. You would need to polish your car with a medium orange cutting pad and a medium cutting polish over 30 times to even come CLOSE to being through the clear! Two good polishes a year is your best bet.

I use sealant every two weeks as you can layer sealant on top of sealant as long as its the same one. Basically giving it "coats" of sealant and no need to polish evertime you want to do sealant. Just a good wash in between with light reccomended detergent/water (not harsh soap etc as in a car wash). Quick detailer and microfiber to dry. Then coat the sealant on and wipe off.

I know I overdo it but I love the fresh sealant shiny glossy look and it keeps my paint looking perfect.

You would have great protection if you simply did 1 polish every 6 months, and after each polish put on 2 coats of sealant, a few days apart. Then provide 1 extra application at the 3 month mark. Then at 6months you start over with polish, 2 sealant applications, 3 month sealant.... 6 month polish and repeat.

That will keep paint lookin very nice
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2011, 12:47 AM   #6
AutoCon
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Toyota Tacoma X-Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by shizzle View Post
Any dealer who tells you that there is no clear coat on the paint is flat out lying to you (or they're showing a level of ignorance that suggests they should not be in the business). I'd suggest you find a new dealer.

Sealants/waxes to help the car looking great longer, but you'll need to maintain and re-apply them regularly (so yes, you will probably need to polish the car before applying either). There are some nano-coating chemicals (e.g. AQuartz), that some of the detailers on the forums here have tried out, but I don't think there has been too much long term feedback on it yet.

Dealerships sure know thier stuff................probably meant 4 Mils which is 100 microns(25 per Mil) anywho I have used AQuartz and it is a fantastic product, the only drawback is the paint must be FULLY corrected and free of any silicons/carrier oils etc.... and if you are a DYI detailer you might want a competent pro in your region to correct and apply the coating.

Phil site sponsor here sells the AQuartz gear.
Appreciate 0