BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

European Auto Source (EAS)

02-23-2013, 05:44 PM   #23
MikeM5
Future Classic
Philippines
Rep
Drives: BMW / Porsche

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Plutonium View Post
Awesome! BTW, do you still have the sound file from my exhaust rev from the last shoot? Any chance you can send me a link to that?
I think those are on my other hard drives at the office. Shoot me a text on Monday and I'll shoot a clip over to you!

Melbourne E90 M3 | Jet Black E46 M3 | Techno E36 M3 | 997.2 C2S | 958 Cayenne GTS
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2013, 05:48 AM   #24
hakaida442
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 11 Porsche 911 Carrera GTS

Quote:
I had 2 Caymans, and they are fantastic cars! One of the best handling cars on the planet... steering is sublime. The M3 has a whole different philosophy and feel, so it is really hard to compare. For some reason the new Cayman leaves me somewhat cold, and uninspired... I'd pick up an 'R' instead.

All new Porsches are getting more and more clinical and almost too perfect... it feels almost that they traded the soul for even more perfection.
The 991 is in every measurable way better as well as being more luxurious and lighter, but many 911 owners do not like it because the longer wheelbase has lost the go kart handling like feel that the 911 is known for. For race teams and those looking for the best lap times, it is clearly an improvement. But faster and more stable isn't always better to some. Diehard 911 guys want to feel every tiny rock and road imperfection through the steering rack and enjoy mastering the unique handling traits of the 911 even if that takes years.

And about the new cayman. It looks great and I'm sure is easy and fun to drive. If I didn't own my GTS and was shopping for a car, it would definitely on my short list. The biggest downside would be depreciation. The cayman depreciates at a greater rate than the 911.

Last edited by hakaida442; 02-24-2013 at 05:55 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2013, 05:56 AM   #25
S65V8
*_*
United_States
Rep
Drives: ...

Does anyone know how easy or hard it is to increase horsepower in a porsche from 325hp to 400hp? What are we talking about here? Adding another $15-20k? 325hp is just a tad short of where I would like it to be. But as I said earlier, I would love to have one and would have bought one if it were out just a couple months ago.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2013, 11:56 AM   #26
hellrotm
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80

I keep reading the rave reviews of the new Cayman S as well. But when I build one on their website, I have a tough time justifying paying well over $70k for a Coxster.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2013, 11:59 AM   #27
saeyedoc
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 Carrera S, 2013 Panny GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by hakaida442 View Post

And about the new cayman. It looks great and I'm sure is easy and fun to drive. If I didn't own my GTS and was shopping for a car, it would definitely on my short list. The biggest downside would be depreciation. The cayman depreciates at a greater rate than the 911.
Yeah, that's part of the dilemma. Right now, they have such great residuals on base Carreras that you may be able to lease one that's considerably more expensive than a Cayman S, but have similar monthly payments. They have been offering 76% 2yr/12k/yr residuals on the 911.
Even if not leasing, that in part reflects PFS' estimation of depreciation rates. They also want lease turn-ins that they can CPO and sell with a warranty the same as a new one.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2013, 01:48 PM   #28
S65V8
*_*
United_States
Rep
Drives: ...

Quote:
I had a turbo conversion on my Cayman S... $20K if done right. Car was a monster, I also f@cked it up at Lime Rock.
damn, sorry to hear that. I guess getting 75hp with bolt-ons (vs. FI) is probably a pipe dream.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2013, 02:27 PM   #29
1MtoM3
HayZeus
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Esq. View Post
The Caymen is an awesome car but like others have said very different than the M3. Go and drive it. I always know once I drive them.
Who are these Caymen and are they coming for us ???

MW E92 , Turner test pipes , Vorsteiner Titanium catback, TMS spacers, ESS remap , KW sleeves.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2013, 09:04 AM   #30
M3 Esq
Automobilist
United_States
Rep
Drives: E70 X5, 911 GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MtoM3 View Post
Who are these Caymen and are they coming for us ???
I see what you did there.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2013, 11:44 AM   #31
///Matthew
Major
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3, 1999 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gblansten View Post
I'm probably getting a Boxster S for my next car. Just want to have a convertible again. The Cayman looks great as well.

2013 Santorini Blue M3
1999 Estoril Blue M3
mfatuation.com
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2013, 01:44 PM   #32
1MtoM3
HayZeus
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

Quote:
Is it ok ? Was it too much ?

MW E92 , Turner test pipes , Vorsteiner Titanium catback, TMS spacers, ESS remap , KW sleeves.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2013, 01:53 PM   #33
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG & 280 SL on Weekends :

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluekn8286 View Post
So, I have been reading/seeing a few reviews about the new Cayman S and I can't help to think about how much fun it would be to own! Please talk me out of trading in my e92 M3!!!!!!!
Performance wise check this site ---> Click

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
---> Click here for some good stuff I found
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2013, 02:06 PM   #34
klammer
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 11 spc gry m3 e90, 19 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MtoM3
Quote:
Is it ok ? Was it too much ?
Believe it was just right
      02-25-2013, 02:49 PM   #35
Raja Ventureshield
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 coupe

i would do it in a heartbeat. i love porsches.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2013, 04:42 PM   #36
StraightUpFitness
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 Boss Laguna Seca

I would totally go for the 981 Cayman (the new one).. but that roofline in the back..

It looks too Chrysler Crossfire-ish to me.

Still think the 987 Cayman R looks better. Just take off the stickers and you have a sleeper.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2013, 04:45 PM   #37
saildoc
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 Porsche Cayman R

FA: if you do a turbo about 12-15K depending on how much you do yourself
NA: bore and stroke options or a motor swap can be done: 25K and up

Quote:
Originally Posted by SROC5 View Post
Does anyone know how easy or hard it is to increase horsepower in a porsche from 325hp to 400hp? What are we talking about here? Adding another $15-20k? 325hp is just a tad short of where I would like it to be. But as I said earlier, I would love to have one and would have bought one if it were out just a couple months ago.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2013, 05:00 PM   #38
slicer
Major General
Rep
Drives: 'E46 M3 Race Car, '23 X7

My wife drives a 987 Cayman S and I drive the M3. I have not yet driven the 981 Cayman but I do have some opinions based on the previous version.... I think the Cayman is a fantastic car. The handling is sublime and it is plenty quick. I had test driven many Cayman's in the past and always felt like they were out of breath. Porsche made significant improvements when they went to the FSI engine in 2009. I would not consider a Cayman with the earlier engine. I have not modified the Cayman to suite my tastes so it's a little difficult to compare my modified M3 to the stock Cayman but...

There are a few things that make the M3 more appealing for me.
1 - Engine note (especially with Akrapovic Exhaust),
2 - More room in front and rear (I drive with the front seats all the way back in the Cayman and I'm only 5'11"),
3 - DCT transmission is much smoother than PDK
4 - Better electronic interface (say what you want about idrive; it's still much better than the Cayman's glorified radio).

Cayman Advantages:
1 - I love the full leather available with Porsche (dash, doors, center console, etc.) - I would not buy a Cayman without it
2 - Neutral handling
3 - Sports car styling

The 981 improves upon all of the advantages of the 987 plus it offers interior electronics that better compete with the M3 and styling that is much more aggressive / masculine.
'04 M3 - Fall Line Motorsports Built Race Car - S65 swap, Dry Sump, Bosch Stand-Alone ECU, Drenth Sequential Trans, MCS 3-Way, Flossmann Wide Body, Brembo Motorsports Brakes, Drexler LSD, BBS E88 Etc.
INSTAGRAM - @Slicer_M
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2013, 10:14 AM   #39
Echo M3
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

This is going to be a tough choice for me.

I currently have an E90 M3, and I want to replace it at the end of the year.

I'm currently looking at either a used Cayman R, a new 981 Cayman S, or a used 997.2 GT3. It will be my second car, and will just be driven for fun and for the track.

The obvious choice is the GT3, but that is really stretching the budget; I'd like to keep it under $85-90k, so at the moment the 997.2 GT3 is out of budget.

Any suggestions or hints? I love the idea of a Cayman, but I fear that after being spoiled by the S65 V8, I will find the decreased straight line performance a disappointment. I'd also like something raw and uncompromised - I don't need much in the way of practicality, aside from the occasional errand on a weekend. It sounds like the new Cayman S is a bit softer and has lost its edge.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2013, 10:21 AM   #40
saeyedoc
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 Carrera S, 2013 Panny GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echo M3 View Post

I'm currently looking at either a used Cayman R, a new 981 Cayman S, or a used 997.2 GT3. It will be my second car, and will just be driven for fun and for the track.

The obvious choice is the GT3, but that is really stretching the budget; I'd like to keep it under $85-90k, so at the moment the 997.2 GT3 is out of budget.

Any suggestions or hints? I love the idea of a Cayman, but I fear that after being spoiled by the S65 V8, I will find the decreased straight line performance a disappointment. I'd also like something raw and uncompromised - I don't need much in the way of practicality, aside from the occasional errand on a weekend. It sounds like the new Cayman S is a bit softer and has lost its edge.
How about a 911 Turbo? I can't recall what year they switched over to the newer engine, but something around a 2009 or so should be in your price range. Plenty of power and track friendly. I think the prior gen engine was based on the engine used in the GT3 (don't quote me on that one, I could be wrong).

Just looked it up, 2009 or older uses the Mezger engine.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2013, 05:09 AM   #41
hakaida442
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 11 Porsche 911 Carrera GTS

Quote:

Are you looking for a stick car only? On the track, pdk is faster but not as much fun. All one has to do is put it in sport plus mode and leave it alone. It's probably like dct and is good at knowing what gear to be in all the time.

And for 90k a GTS is in that price range too. Not sure if you would like it, but I love mine. I like going to the track, but it is primarily a street car so I like how comfortable it can be when not in sport mode and with normal PASM on. The 7.2 GT3 is just a little too hardcore for me for street driving. I'm sure that the 991 GT3 will be much more comfortable.

It appears that the 991 GT3 will be pdk-s only and there will be an all new engine in it. I'm sure that it will be really fast and much more stable with the longer wheelbase and wider stance, but if I was upgrading to a GT3, I'd wait for the 2nd gen model. Buying a car with an all new engine for that price point is a big risk imho.

Last edited by hakaida442; 02-27-2013 at 05:14 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2013, 12:07 PM   #42
soberin
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3 E90

Quote:

Used Cayman S or R is the way to go. Good price point, original HPS not the new electric--plus you will have so much more satisfaction with steering feedback and feel, plus the better cornering, that you will not miss the M3 V8. My 09 E90 is fully Dinan modded except for brakes, and although it's far better than stock for DD and my track days, it ain't no Cayman in terms of driver involvement.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2013, 02:09 PM   #43
The Automotive Enthusiast
Retired BMW Genius
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi S5 Coupe

Two different machines, in my opinion. The Cayman S is geared towards the track with it's mid-engine layout and stiff(er) suspension and better brakes ,while the M3 is geared towards backroads and highway cruising. The M3 can be taken to the track, but you'll have to change a couple of things such as the brakes so you don't get fade.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2013, 03:36 PM   #44
klammer
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 11 spc gry m3 e90, 19 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShutUpandDrive View Post
Two different machines, in my opinion. The Cayman S is geared towards the track with it's mid-engine layout and stiff(er) suspension and better brakes ,while the M3 is geared towards backroads and highway cruising. The M3 can be taken to the track, but you'll have to change a couple of things such as the brakes so you don't get fade.
Agreed, but with a simple brake upgrade, find the M to be faster around the track... Have only had one cayman pass me and it was this one. He had to let up as his brakes faded too trying to catch me and was pretty sure his were upgraded