BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > Australia

10-06-2013, 09:21 PM   #1
Dzenko
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: M4 Competition LCI

Engine Auto start/Stop

Hello,

I was hoping to get your view on a few matters...
I bought my M3 about 6 weeks ago. It was transported from Melbourne to Perth. Upon arrival, I was informed that the car needed jump starting due to a flat battery. This I found was somewhat normal because my view was that the transport travel time could have resulted in a drained battery.
Either-way, the car was jump started that day and luckily since then I had never had a need to jump start it again (alternator did a good job or at least I think it did. given what I am going to say next).

On the day it was jump started and when I picked up the car, the engine would auto switch off at a set of lights and restart as I took off. This option only lasted for 2 days from picked up day before the auto engine on/off option stopped functioning.
My first impressions were that I must have switched it of by playing with the setting in the iDrivelogic... but my understanding was that this setting can not be switched off unless I actually pushed the button just above the ashtray. Meaning that no matter what I do in idrive settings it shouldn't stop the engine from turning off at a set off lights and restarting when i push the acceleration.

Anyway, I took the car into Autoclassics (Perth's authorised BM dealer). I was advised that my Battery wasn't fully charged and that this option only works provided 120 different things are at their right capacity. I was also advised that to fully charge my battery due to the short trips that I make I should turn the front windscreen demister on and keep it running during my journeys to help the alternator being kick started to charge the battery immediately as opposed to during my journey. Apparently, the alternator will not charge your battery until after a 15 min trip (my trip is commonly around the 30 min mark which means that I only charge my battery for 15mins at a time) having an unfoggie windscreen is a safety thing and this will cause the alternator to work immediately rather that 15 mins into the drive.

My questions are:
1. The only thing that is different to when I first picked up my car and now is that I leave an iPod plugged in the centre console at all times. This streams my music when I drive. Could it be that a little iPod nano drains my battery since I it's plugged in over night etc?
2. Does their assessment sound like B.S and have I been advised B.S by BMW Auto classics?
3. Is there any way that I can have someone else's ilogic settings so that I can replicate these on the car?
4. Any thoughts on how I fix this?

Side questions:
A. The car is under new car warranty that runs out in Dec this year. Does a battery fall within a straight swap? Could it be that these guys discovered the issue but really want to address it outside of the warranty period?
B. The service guy at BM tells me that there is a software update for all m3's. He said I should download this on-line, put it on a usb then install it in the car. Has anyone heard or done this? What's the website?
C. My in-car computer gives me an option to go on-line yet when I click on it, it sends me a message saying that it has expired. How do I renew this?
D. My phone is hooked up to the car's bluetooth, yet I can't access the music on my phone through multimedia. Any thoughts on why that is the case?
E. Is gutter rash covered under new car warranty? I ring BM and ask them weird warranty questions since I wasn't the first owner of the car and i am not fully across them but it seems as though I always get palmed away to a person that says that they are unfortunately not able to comment and ask me to go to my local dealer.

If you have got any responses to the above please reference them with either a number or a letter or both so to help my fish brain get some direct clarity....
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2013, 09:40 PM   #2
DAL344
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C Pure

I would call West Coast BMW (9303 5888) & ask the same questions.

Although they are owned by the same group/person they appear to be more approachable & are rated highly for their service department.

The one question I can answer is:
Side question E.) Gutter rash is not covered by NCW...

Good luck & please share the findings...
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2013, 09:44 PM   #3
Dzenko
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAL344 View Post
I would call West Coast BMW (9303 5888) & ask the same questions.

Although they are owned by the same group/person they appear to be more approachable & are rated highly for their service department.

The one question I can answer is:
Side question E.) Gutter rash is not covered by NCW...

Good luck & please share the findings...
Thanks mate. I will try westcoast once I read replies from here. They are closer to home anyway. I just thought to go to Autoclassic out of sheer convenience as they are closer to my work.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2013, 10:05 PM   #4
PatrickPH
Photo Bounce
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2006 E46 M3

With regards to the software update, give this link a go.

http://www.bmw.com/com/en/owners/con...re_update.html

Bored at work decided to google it seems pretty straight forward.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2013, 06:25 PM   #5
MFKN3
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: supercharged 4.4L stroker E92

I've never heard of M3's having auto on/off engine?

Batteries aren't covered under warranty unfortunately. The only manufacturers that seem to cover them are jaguar and land rover. Most cars these days won't fully charge a flat battery properly and with all the green efficiencies introduced in Europe, the dealer is right in that conditions need to be met for charge to go to the battery. My battery took over 3 months of no use to go flat, so maybe yours is on it's way out.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2013, 03:04 AM   #6
NBTBRV8
Captain
Rep
Drives: LCi E60 530i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFKN3 View Post
I've never heard of M3's having auto on/off engine?

Batteries aren't covered under warranty unfortunately. The only manufacturers that seem to cover them are jaguar and land rover. Most cars these days won't fully charge a flat battery properly and with all the green efficiencies introduced in Europe, the dealer is right in that conditions need to be met for charge to go to the battery. My battery took over 3 months of no use to go flat, so maybe yours is on it's way out.
Stop start was introduced in 2010

http://www.carsales.com.au/news/2010...RvcCUyMHN0YXJ0

I would change your battery and see how you go after that. At the first sign of a battery failure don't hesitate, change it straight away as it will always bite you.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2013, 05:51 AM   #7
DaveDee
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW X5M Comp

Garage List
This may be of interest......

BMW dealers can now deactivate the auto Start/Stop settings

INFORMATION

SITUATION
Some drivers have expressed the desire to deactivate this function in certain situations. This can be done manually via the Automatic Start/Stop function button with the LED switched on, indicating that the start/stop function is deactivated.

However, by default, the Automatic Start/Stop function is reactivated each time the engine is started.

At the request of an owner, it is possible to modify this default logic to “Last user mode.”

With this logic, the current MSA’s activated or deactivated setting is stored and used on the next trip.

Note: All new BMW M models have the “Last user mode” as the default setting from production.

Last edited by DaveDee; 10-08-2013 at 04:07 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2013, 06:50 AM   #8
DAL344
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C Pure

Stop/start is only active whilst in 'drive' mode.

If there are any errors the stop/start symbol will have an exclamation (!) to signify it needs attention.

Not sure that helps??
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2013, 08:57 AM   #9
Dzenko
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAL344 View Post
Stop/start is only active whilst in 'drive' mode.

If there are any errors the stop/start symbol will have an exclamation (!) to signify it needs attention.

Not sure that helps??
I am not getting an error reading anywhere. Mind you I have never seen a stop/ start symbol on the dash.
When I tap into vehicle information everything checks out too.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2013, 09:19 AM   #10
nullrouted
Studying...
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW '13 E92 ZCP 6MT M3

Auto start/stop should be off from the factory, with the option to turn it back on by pressing the button on the dash. Tuners can also code this on/off for you. Completely worthless feature on the M3, and it doesn't even save you the US gas-guzzler tax on the car -- what was BMW thinking.?
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2013, 02:30 PM   #11
NBTBRV8
Captain
Rep
Drives: LCi E60 530i

The dealer can turn it off. I was under the impression that it was on as a default.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2013, 09:31 PM   #12
Dzenko
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nullrouted View Post
Auto start/stop should be off from the factory, with the option to turn it back on by pressing the button on the dash. Tuners can also code this on/off for you. Completely worthless feature on the M3, and it doesn't even save you the US gas-guzzler tax on the car -- what was BMW thinking.?
BMW think that my battery isn't fully charged therefore this option doesn't work.
When you push the button on the central console, only the light on comes on. But the button in itself has a symbol (A) and says "off". (refer link below above the ashtray buttons)
http://s1.cdn.autoevolution.com/imag...jpg?1373016025

So my thoughts are that this option is on at all times unless you turn it by pushing this off button. No?
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2013, 09:32 PM   #13
Dzenko
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBTBRV8 View Post
The dealer can turn it off. I was under the impression that it was on as a default.
Exactly what I thought too...
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2013, 10:40 PM   #14
aussiem3
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Goggomobil

Garage List
Ok, the car can be programmed to keep the last user mode. That's if you have switched it off, then the next time you start the car, it remains off, and vice versa. I had this programming done to my wide F25 X3.

Yes, under certain conditions the stop/start doesn't work. It's hard to explain when. If your car has shut down and if you switch on the HVAC system, then the car springs to life. It all depends on the load you place on the battery.

They best advice is to charge the battery overnight and see what happens. Unless we try this you cannot eliminate the true cause of the issue.
      10-09-2013, 01:44 AM   #15
Dzenko
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiem3 View Post
Ok, the car can be programmed to keep the last user mode. That's if you have switched it off, then the next time you start the car, it remains off, and vice versa. I had this programming done to my wide F25 X3.

Yes, under certain conditions the stop/start doesn't work. It's hard to explain when. If your car has shut down and if you switch on the HVAC system, then the car springs to life. It all depends on the load you place on the battery.

They best advice is to charge the battery overnight and see what happens. Unless we try this you cannot eliminate the true cause of the issue.

You are correct. I was advised to charge the battery over night but unlike an iPhone charger an actual car battery charger is hard to find in someone's draw. Guess I am just a little disappointed that they didn't do more as far as service is concerned.
I get that the matter isn't an issue to some and to be perfectly honest it doesn't phase me on whether the option is on or off. All I wanted to know is what the problem is rather than being in the limbo
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2013, 01:58 AM   #16
MFKN3
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: supercharged 4.4L stroker E92

I agree your battery probably needs a good charge.

I wouldn't want that start/stop on. I thought the M's would've doged all that eco rubbish. Cranking an engine puts stress on it and the battery, so why do it every red light to save 5c in fuel?

I've found one of the brisbane dealerships to have woeful customer service. I also wanted some warranty work and because they didn't sell me the car they couldn't be bothered. A friend used to work there and also tells me stories of how they used to knowingly stooge people. That's why I stick to indy shops
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2013, 03:36 AM   #17
S65V8
*_*
United_States
Rep
Drives: ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dzenko View Post
Hello,

If you have got any responses to the above please reference them with either a number or a letter or both so to help my fish brain get some direct clarity....

Thoughts....

1. The only thing that is different to when I first picked up my car and now is that I leave an iPod plugged in the centre console at all times. This streams my music when I drive. Could it be that a little iPod nano drains my battery since I it's plugged in over night etc?

NO, absolutely not. I leave all sort of crap plugged in all the time and nothing happens.

2. Does their assessment sound like B.S and have I been advised B.S by BMW Auto classics?

Sounds like B.S., a well maintained car shouldn't have these battery issues. Since the car is used, then the battery simply could be compromised. Test it and find out for sure independently and then have dealer replace.

3. Is there any way that I can have someone else's ilogic settings so that I can replicate these on the car?

Yes, but its all things you'd have to input yourself.

4. Any thoughts on how I fix this?

Side questions:
A. The car is under new car warranty that runs out in Dec this year. Does a battery fall within a straight swap? Could it be that these guys discovered the issue but really want to address it outside of the warranty period?

Yes, that's possible. But a battery that's failing before warranty should be covered.

B. The service guy at BM tells me that there is a software update for all m3's. He said I should download this on-line, put it on a usb then install it in the car. Has anyone heard or done this? What's the website?

Any competent dealership would do the update for you, it's actually weird they would recommend you do it yourself. Typically BMW wants their technicians to do everything so it's done right and under warranty. If you update and something gets messed up, I think that counts to affecting your warranty terms.

C. My in-car computer gives me an option to go on-line yet when I click on it, it sends me a message saying that it has expired. How do I renew this?

Read your car manual or call BMW Assist Support.

D. My phone is hooked up to the car's bluetooth, yet I can't access the music on my phone through multimedia. Any thoughts on why that is the case?

Read your car manual

E. Is gutter rash covered under new car warranty? I ring BM and ask them weird warranty questions since I wasn't the first owner of the car and i am not fully across them but it seems as though I always get palmed away to a person that says that they are unfortunately not able to comment and ask me to go to my local dealer.

Absolutely not, gutter rash on the wheels is not covered. You bought that car as-is with all and any imperfections.
Appreciate 0