BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

05-23-2013, 04:59 PM   #243
M3PO
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '08 IB E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by s65e90 View Post
been saying this is normal forever. Sometimes happens; sometimes doesn't. Most cars do this and I still attirbute the noise due to no lubirication on a cold start.
I've been saying THIS forever: BMW doesn't agree with you. They repaired my car on their dime (thousands I'm sure) and the issue is solved. No more sound for almost 20K miles now.
      05-23-2013, 05:02 PM   #244
s65e90
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2009 e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3PO View Post
I've been saying THIS forever: BMW doesn't agree with you. They repaired my car on their dime (thousands I'm sure) and the issue is solved. No more sound for almost 20K miles now.

yes but you're still the minority. I have had 2 m3 that both do it; as well as heard it first hand on many others.

Who knows, but if it ain't broke why worry?

FYI me and BMW disagree on many things// (example: 15k oil changes... they're not ALWAYS right)
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2013, 05:05 PM   #245
M3PO
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by s65e90 View Post
yes but you're still the minority. I have had 2 m3 that both do it; as well as heard it first hand on many others.

Who knows, but if it ain't broke why worry?

FYI me and BMW disagree on many things// (example: 15k oil changes... they're not ALWAYS right)
I don't want it to break later on when it's my responsibility.

I disagree with them on that too. My oil has consistently shown low detergents after only 7500-8000 miles.
      06-12-2013, 01:43 PM   #246
Guernzee123
Registered
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Talking Yes there is!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdgamble View Post
Is there such a thing as a 2007 E92 M3???
Yeah I have an 07 registered E92 M3, comes in manual only though (which is better IMHO as where I live auto boxes are a nuisance)

Anyway back to the noise. I have had the same issue, it happens when cold and is the valve lifters, it is not unbearable but definitely noticeable. Apparently the aluminum engine block amplifies the sound! However unless its really loud it shouldn't be an issue.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2013, 09:31 PM   #247
BIU
Captain
Rep
Drives: M

The cold startup "clack" has mysteriously disappeared since last week or so *touch wood*

No changes have been made to the car nor driving habits etc...

Weather has been getting hotter and hotter for what its worth....
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2013, 05:03 PM   #248
Guernzee123
Registered
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Mine has gone too

After going back to my dealer and explaining they ran some system cleaner through which has helped! What doesn't help is people driving into the car in car parks!!!!
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2013, 10:16 PM   #249
BPMSport
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: Harrop M3 / F10 M5 / F82 M4

Garage List
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
1990 BMW 735i Turbo  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [7.50]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3PO View Post
How long do you leave it parked?

-----| Like us on Facebook | Instagram || Tuning Information | Remote Coding |-----
----Visit us at www.BPMSport.com - Emotion. Driven. | Toll Free: (888) 557-5133----
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2013, 08:22 AM   #250
MTrezzz
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lime Rock Edition

Do you happen to have a test pipe or custom x-pipe? could be the problem that my friend had a while ago. i know what you mean only on start up it starts to make this odd nosies, then goes away. i think it might be the front section of the x-pipe.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2013, 02:40 AM   #251
BIU
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIU View Post
The cold startup "clack" has mysteriously disappeared since last week or so *touch wood*

No changes have been made to the car nor driving habits etc...

Weather has been getting hotter and hotter for what its worth....
Scratch this.

It was gone for a few days and back louder than ever since I posted about it.....
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2013, 10:06 PM   #252
Fen335i
Captain
Rep
Drives: e92 M3 / X5d / Z4 M Roadster

Sorry to revive an old thread...but I started getting this noise a couple months ago too...only on cold start after the car had sat overnight (or longer). It's very quick and the sound does not last long at all (1 second?) ...but a definite clunk sound that I never had before. I'm at 55k miles....has there been a definitive explanation of what this sound is? It's Sunday evening...and my car has sat for about 48 hours now. I'm sure I'll get the "clunk" in the morning as I first start it up to drive to the office.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2013, 04:23 PM   #253
M3PO
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Benvo View Post
How long do you leave it parked?
Anywhere from a few hours to two weeks at a time.
      07-28-2013, 05:57 PM   #254
BPMSport
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [7.50]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M5  [0.00]
Sorry for bumping an old thread but I just wanted to show everyone the valves that came out of my car..

Still no change and everything running strong:
Attached Images

-----| Like us on Facebook | Instagram || Tuning Information | Remote Coding |-----
----Visit us at www.BPMSport.com - Emotion. Driven. | Toll Free: (888) 557-5133----
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2013, 01:45 PM   #255
TxStig
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 Jerez Black

Quote:
Sorry for bumping an old thread but I just wanted to show everyone the valves that came out of my car..

Still no change and everything running strong:
Mike,

Just FYI my day job is as a Lead Engineer of Global Valve Technology. I know valves. Check valves are on of my specialties.

I know we chatted aboutt his a few months back right before you were taking it in.

Just looking at those pictures I would say there is nothing wrong with those. They have a little white ball in the center? The check as it were. Thats PTFE which is resilient stuff and it can deform to make a seal pretty easy thats why they use it. I thought you said they were replacing VANOS units? I suppose if they weren't checking off and allowing oil to flow back then it cold cause a lack of oil pressure in certain places. However without some kind of pressure being driven behind them then I doubt those check valves will stay checked. The pressure will find a path to relieve somewhere.

My car has the same noise I am pretty sure. The fact that it goes away once pressure has built is pretty telling. I really doubt its anything to worry about long term. buti guess we will have to revisit it at 100,000 miles

Peter M.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2013, 01:50 PM   #256
BPMSport
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [7.50]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TxStig View Post
Mike,

Just FYI my day job is as a Lead Engineer of Global Valve Technology. I know valves. Check valves are on of my specialties.

I know we chatted aboutt his a few months back right before you were taking it in.

Just looking at those pictures I would say there is nothing wrong with those. They have a little white ball in the center? The check as it were. Thats PTFE which is resilient stuff and it can deform to make a seal pretty easy thats why they use it. I thought you said they were replacing VANOS units? I suppose if they weren't checking off and allowing oil to flow back then it cold cause a lack of oil pressure in certain places. However without some kind of pressure being driven behind them then I doubt those check valves will stay checked. The pressure will find a path to relieve somewhere.

My car has the same noise I am pretty sure. The fact that it goes away once pressure has built is pretty telling. I really doubt its anything to worry about long term. buti guess we will have to revisit it at 100,000 miles

Peter M.
Thanks Peter for the info, it is much appreciated.

The other day I meant to turn the ignition on only and didn't realize my foot was touching the brake. The garage door was closed and the car started to fire up. I immediately turned it off before it had a chance to spin up. A few hours later I started the car and that noise was not present at all. So I think it's just a matter of pressure needing to be built up, and the noise is caused by the pressure having bled down previously in-between the last start.

Appreciate 0
      08-01-2013, 07:10 PM   #257
BIU
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Mike,

Peter M.
Quote:

The other day I meant to turn the ignition on only and didn't realize my foot was touching the brake. The garage door was closed and the car started to fire up. I immediately turned it off before it had a chance to spin up. A few hours later I started the car and that noise was not present at all. So I think it's just a matter of pressure needing to be built up, and the noise is caused by the pressure having bled down previously in-between the last start.
Amen and see you both at 100K miles
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2013, 12:49 AM   #258
e92zero
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 BW

Quote:
Mike,

Peter M.
Quote:

Thanks TxStig and Mike! I will just ignore it for now. But I wonder if switching to a thinner oil like the other thread was suggesting would make this sound occur more often/worse.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2013, 06:57 PM   #259
TxStig
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 Jerez Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by e92zero View Post
Thanks TxStig and Mike! I will just ignore it for now. But I wonder if switching to a thinner oil like the other thread was suggesting would make this sound occur more often/worse.
I would tend to lean towards a yes. The thinner oil will have a tendency to bleed away quicker from the area it is leaving that is causing the racket. The thicker oil will have more staying power.

To be honest I live in Texas so its never really an issue for me about the thickness of the oil in cold weather startups. I know some people have voiced concern in the past about this.

Castrol makes some pretty badass stuff. But ECS Tuning sells Liquimoly for our cars that is fully certified and compatible at 10w60. If your loking for a cheaper alternative go with that to maintain the viscosity rating and just do 7500 mile oil changes. Which I do anyway. Any doubts I ever had about using street oil pretty much went away when I saw a Porsche at this years Lemans being topped up with a regular old bottle of Mobil 1 5w30. There's not really any special race oils these days as the synthetics are pretty damn good. Even when I worked for Ferrari on the F430GT it was just plain old Pennzoil Platinum.

Cheers,

TxStig
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2013, 07:02 PM   #260
VCMpower
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 Dakar, 2013 Fire Orange

Quote:
I would tend to lean towards a yes. The thinner oil will have a tendency to bleed away quicker from the area it is leaving that is causing the racket. The thicker oil will have more staying power.

To be honest I live in Texas so its never really an issue for me about the thickness of the oil in cold weather startups. I know some people have voiced concern in the past about this.

Castrol makes some pretty badass stuff. But ECS Tuning sells Liquimoly for our cars that is fully certified and compatible at 10w60. If your loking for a cheaper alternative go with that to maintain the viscosity rating and just do 7500 mile oil changes. Which I do anyway. Any doubts I ever had about using street oil pretty much went away when I saw a Porsche at this years Lemans being topped up with a regular old bottle of Mobil 1 5w30. There's not really any special race oils these days as the synthetics are pretty damn good. Even when I worked for Ferrari on the F430GT it was just plain old Pennzoil Platinum.

Cheers,

TxStig
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2013, 02:15 AM   #261
wav50
Rep
Drives: e92 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrad01 View Post
Yes, BMW Germany replaced my engine in the end with a nice shiny new 2011 S65. They changed the check valves and that didn't work. They tore down the engine and replaced the crank and bearings. Didn't work.

The new engine is great. Just running it in now....
mrad ; really need your help i have bren having this issue for almost 2 years. and my car is ilying at bmw work shop for long time. being treated like a lab mice since day 1. changing parts here and there. and problem stil there. wondering do you have any supporting document for your car? can you share or email to me at ceo.82@live.com
thks
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2013, 01:04 PM   #262
VelocityM3
Brian
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpine White E92 ///M3

Just to share my experience.

2008 E92 M3
12,700 miles

History: Car is (obviously) not a daily driver, however I do drive the car 2-3 times a week. My work is ~10 miles round trip and weekend trips are typically fairly short. There was a 6 month period where I was working out of state and the car was driven only a couple times a month, but started weekly. Oil has been changed every year, ~2500 miles.

I began to receive the startup clank in the last 6 months. The car is now 5 years old this month. I have noticed that if the car sits less than 2-3 days that the sound is faint. If the car sits less than 24 hours, there normally is no sound. But, if the car sits for 3-4 days between start ups then it is noticeably rougher.

I am going to keep an eye on it, but I have a feeling it is not too big of a deal. My only worry is that the Vanos is taking excessive wear due to lack of oil pressure.
      09-04-2013, 02:10 PM   #263
M3PO
Colonel
Rep

Just to update everyone, I have heard a tiny hint of this sound returning a few times. :-(

It was completely gone for 20K+ miles after they replaced the one VANOS unit.
      11-06-2013, 10:45 AM   #264
lockeed
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 & E46 M3 E39 M5 E36 325is

Mine always do it every time I start it. Even louder now as it's getting pretty cold here... And every time, after approx 60-70 seconds, it stops. It's as if a valve was shutting off and it becomes silent.

Any of you tried a different type of oil ? Or oil additive like Lucas Oil which is very sticky...?
Appreciate 0