BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > Canada

Mporium BMW

05-14-2011, 09:20 AM   #1
M3-Mike
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Competition

Toronto to Pennsylvania Road Trip

I'm looking to organize a road trip from Toronto down to Pennsylvania and wanted to see if there was any interest from local GTA forum members?

There are some amazing winding twisty driving roads just a few hours south of the border. I've driven through the Alps in Switzerland, the Dolomites in Italy, and yet the mountainous regions in the US offer up much of the same closer to home.

Plan would be to drive down one day, stay overnight, spend a day enjoying local roads, stay overnight again, and then return on the third day. We would stay away from interstates and other busy roads and instead focus on smaller technical roads demanding a driver’s full attention.

Depending on interest and feedback (road suggestions, timing and destinations welcomed) I would be happy of start organizing something.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2011, 11:14 AM   #2
STALKER
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3, Golf R

There are some great roads there, I use to make the drive down to Miami a few times a year and would drive through the mountains in PA and VA.

Take a radar detector, lots of state troopers.
      05-14-2011, 11:44 AM   #3
M3-Mike
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by STALKER View Post
Take a radar detector, lots of state troopers.
I was down there this time last year and found NY to be full of troopers whereas in PA I saw none. Maybe because by the time I reached PA I was driving on very small back country roads where they don't patrol often?

Still, my general rule is to keep speeds reasonable on the straights, then speed up for the fun twisty parts and corners. Reason is that if a trooper is sitting lurking, he is likely doing so on a straight section of road. So far this rule has served me quite well over the years... of course there is still the risk of meeting one coming the opposite way, but the fact that I speed up and slow down constantly seems to put the odds in my favour.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2011, 12:05 PM   #4
M3-Mike
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3-Mike View Post
I'm looking to organize a road trip from Toronto down to Pennsylvania and wanted to see if there was any interest from local GTA forum members?

There are some amazing winding twisty driving roads just a few hours south of the border. I've driven through the Alps in Switzerland, the Dolomites in Italy, and yet the mountainous regions in the US offer up much of the same closer to home.

Plan would be to drive down one day, stay overnight, spend a day enjoying local roads, stay overnight again, and then return on the third day. We would stay away from interstates and other busy roads and instead focus on smaller technical roads demanding a driver’s full attention.

Depending on interest and feedback (road suggestions, timing and destinations welcomed) I would be happy of start organizing something.
Date has been set. A small group of us are leaving June 2nd and returning June 4th.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2011, 11:28 AM   #5
JulieDriving
Female driving enthusiast :P
Rep
Drives: Bimmer

Garage List
Have fun! Please post pics and advice on routes afterwards if you could.