BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

BPM

04-06-2010, 05:35 AM   #1
Top_Gear_Fan
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

My mean review of the 2010 Audi A4.

My sister just recently bought herself a white 2010 Audi A4 2.0T. I must say her car, along with most of the new Audis, look nice. As many people agree they have improved greatly with the looks over the past few years. The Audis get praised for their interiors, their LED lights, and the fact that the S4 beat the 335i in a couple of reviews. The critics seem to love the new Audis. They release many reviews where the Audis stomp the competitors.

I am not "they".

Warning, most of this is very subjective.

Unfortunately the Audi A4 disappoints. It does not drive as nice as it looks. The steering was numb and lighter than a Lexus or Mercedes Benz, the turbo lag is worse than expected, the power is disappointing (even though rated at 211hp), the engine seems reluctant to rev past 3k, the brakes were weird and sticky, the Audi MMI seemed a lot messier and less intuitive than the I-drive, the base speakers have way too much distortion, the seats are not very supportive, and I really don't see what the fuss is about for the interior. The interior seems nice at first glance, but the more I look at it the blander it gets. The black interior gets very dirty VERY easily from random scuff marks to scratches on the door sills.

Then there's the parking...oh god. In a BMW, when you let your foot off the brake the car rolls forward and you modulate the brakes to slowly park your car into the spot. Most normal cars do that (i.e. my old Camry). The Audi however, seems to have an attitude problem with that. When I let off the brakes to park it into my garage, it kind of sits there for about 3-4 seconds, then creeps REALLY slowly forwards, and suddenly it begins to roll surprisingly faster. At which point I apply the brakes a bit to slow it down into the garage. Then it repeats the process of sitting there for 3-4 seconds before it begins to do it's split personality creep forwards. I found that EXTREMELY annoying. Or even on a slight hill it rolls BACKWARDS! And I have to apply the gas, and then the turbo kicks in and it jumps forwards faster than I wanted it to. I know BMW's have the hill brake assist, but this is no excuse because my Camry was easier to park than that. And it didn't roll back on SLIGHT hills. Plus the E-brake is a window switch style "push pull" button. You pull/push that button, and the E-brake engages or disengages, which takes a couple of seconds. I know they have that on Bentleys, but kind of unnecessary on an Audi...

The worse part of it all though, is the drive. She got the FWD auto CVT version, not the quattro. Taking corners felt so unpredictable. I felt very little control or feedback. Entering corners at a faster speed inspired absolutely no confidence in what is supposed to be a luxury sports car. The faster I go into a corner in a 328i, the faster I know I COULD have entered it. BMWs beg to be driven hard while the Audi seems to really hate it.

Now the argument that it's supposed to be more luxury than sport could be made. But then where is the comfort found with cars that have the word "luxury" in their category. This Audi isn't that comfortable over bumps and crappy roads. Usually this is a compromise for sport suspension to help make the car handle better, but clearly this isn't the case. Like the IS-F vs an M3. The IS-F is so harsh, yet it doesn't really handle better. This is the point I am trying to make with the Audi A4's ride. Clarkson said it best when he talked about the IS-F's ride. "A sports saloon is supposed to soothe your brow, not attack with scissors!"

The price isn't anything to brag about either. With the premium plus package (leather, xenons, LED lights etc), and navi with back up camera, out the door she saw $41k.

I really didn't want to give it a bad review because I love they way the new Audis look on the outside and I do want Audi to improve. This keeps BMW and other competitors in check. But after driving an A4, and then getting back into my E92 335i, this always comes into mind.

And yes I know I don't have an M3.

Edit: Okay this is the base model, CVT tranny, and crappy FWD, so this review might be a little harsh, but is only on the FWD CVT version. I haven't tried the quattro yet. As for her, she didn't really care about quattro vs FWD, and wouldn't listen to me when I told her she should get quattro. She couldn't justify the extra few grand. But she's happy with her car so thats what matters. This review is purely from my perspective, and I haven't had the heart to tell her I don't like her car.

Last edited by Top_Gear_Fan; 04-06-2010 at 06:32 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2010, 05:41 AM   #2
boymonkey
Lieutenant
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: slow

Was there a sport mode for the auto? It's weird that the auto shifts at 3k RPM all the time.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2010, 07:00 AM   #3
BMW269
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

You do not have to regret that you did not like the Audi. Audi does very good cars, they just do not appeal to all. Same goes for BMW.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2010, 07:14 AM   #4
DFW_M
Major General
Rep
Drives: Macan GTS

First, she got the worst package of them all -- FWD, and crappy CVT. I have not seen a single review that praises those two...
Quattro 2.0T comes with the Tiptronic -- a totally different story.
S4 is a completely different vehicle than the A4...

I do agree about the steering, however, it becomes nice at speeds. IMO, the S4 (and the A4 I tested) brakes are at least as good as the 3er, I actually liked them better.

Transmission (6MT vs 6 MT) is light years ahead of the BMW's...
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2010, 10:17 AM   #5
TheRox
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 6mt

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr325i View Post
First, she got the worst package of them all -- FWD, and crappy CVT. I have not seen a single review that praises those two...
Quattro 2.0T comes with the Tiptronic -- a totally different story.
S4 is a completely different vehicle than the A4...

I do agree about the steering, however, it becomes nice at speeds. IMO, the S4 (and the A4 I tested) brakes are at least as good as the 3er, I actually liked them better.

Transmission (6MT vs 6 MT) is light years ahead of the BMW's...
???

What are you talking about? Audi's 6MT is overbooste dlike their steering; its a s lick shift without any effort or prescision, like a new honda accord. Not a driver's 6MT

And yea their quattro is based on FWD...which underpines their budget background of audi's.

and yes the price...41 K...for a...wait for it...4 cylinder engine.

I thought the same thing:
1. turbo lag in the 4-banger
2. interior isn't grea.t..it looks cheap and sport, i don't like dark european interiors, they're depressing
3. too expensive
4. brand name not as sporty for a 20-something as bmw is
5. handling is not on par with bmw in terms of weight balance and steering feel

pros
1. quatrro good in winter
2. looks nice
3. led really nice
4. fuel efficient
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2010, 10:25 AM   #6
Yay-Z
Shifting to Top Gear
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 M5/E70 X5

I had the exact same feeling when I drove the Audi. I really wanted to like the car because I had vw's in the past. But boy that steering was numb, I was scared to go fast through corners. The interior as well didnt really seem special to me.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2010, 10:44 AM   #7
herro
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 4x4

There is a WORLD's difference in handling characteristics between FWD CVT Audi's and Quattro Tip/DCT Audi's

Her biggest mistake was not checking the Quattro box... no quattro = no Audi
      04-06-2010, 11:29 AM   #8
DenverJayhawk
Major
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90 330i

haven't driven a new A4 yet, but from a sheetmetal design standpoint, the Audi wins hands down in my opinion.

330i, Black Sapphire, 6MT, Sport, Active Steering, Flux Capacitor
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2010, 11:35 AM   #9
TommyK
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335i LCI

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i LCI  [0.00]
2006 E90 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yay-Z View Post
I had the exact same feeling when I drove the Audi. I really wanted to like the car because I had vw's in the past. But boy that steering was numb, I was scared to go fast through corners. The interior as well didnt really seem special to me.
+10000000000

these cars are just bad, i love cars but this should not be coming out of germany being praised. its a disapointment for all. the last A4/A3were the same way. cheap but everything is expensive. my friends jetta feels just like it. almost identical
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2010, 12:30 PM   #10
Muffnbluff
Redline Addict
Rep
Drives: '14 BMW 335 xdrive

I test drove an A4 before I got my 135i and I could not get past how awful that 2.0T engine sounds.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2010, 12:40 PM   #11
maswastage
Resident Diesel Junkie
Rep
Drives: 2010 AW 335d

I was left with a similar impression after test driving an '09 A4 3.2 last summer: utter disappointment. And I was comparing it to my 328xi. To think, they wanted me to pay the same amount for their A4 3.2 that I ended up paying for my 335d- a car that is better in every single way.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2010, 01:06 PM   #12
BMW269
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

The only good and real Audi are S, RS, R8 and Q7, as all other are just VW (not saying VW is not good). This is only from a technical stand point. But in design and finish they are all good.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2010, 01:09 PM   #13
keanu1
tiamat
Romania
Rep
Drives: 525 d

I said almoost the same thing about an audi a4 2.0 tdi a year ago!! I must mention i have nothing against audi, but that's the truth, the car is bad! Numb steering and it dosen't handle like my e60. When i drove it i was expecting to be near or better than a 3 series but was worth than a 5 series!!
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2010, 01:38 PM   #14
Robert
Major General
Rep
Drives: 135i -> is350 -> Tesla M3 perf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levi View Post
You do not have to regret that you did not like the Audi. Audi does very good cars, they just do not appeal to all. Same goes for BMW.
Yup, many people hate the heavy steering. They want a car easy to drive not a workout by the time you are done getting grocery.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2010, 02:02 PM   #15
Top_Gear_Fan
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffnbluff View Post
I test drove an A4 before I got my 135i and I could not get past how awful that 2.0T engine sounds.
I forgot to mention that! The engine and exhaust do sound quite bad.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2010, 02:04 PM   #16
JayKay335i
Banned
Egypt
Rep
Drives: ///M323 DCT

The design is nice. The drive is boring and uninspired. 200hp and an automatic transmission, all wheel drive, just doesn't equal sporty.

Mod the crap out of it though, and it becomes pretty damn fun.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2010, 02:44 PM   #17
footie
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: i4M50

Garage List
Probably the worse Audi A4 to get, the FI engine with the CVT don't seem to work well together. I also dislike the normal suspension setup on offer, it's grand in the ride department but not great when you up the speed and start taking corners with gusto.

I think Levi said it best with the comments that these cars won't suit everyone, but at least there is always another brand out there which will suit your needs.

I must say that most people I know who have driven the new S4 are very favourable about what's on offer so there is an A4 that might suit, though the price might be the sticking point.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2010, 02:56 PM   #18
bunnn
Colonel
Rep
Drives: like a grandma

I'm not sure if Audi's A3/4/6/8 was ever designed with being sporty as a top priority. They are what they are, a luxury car with tons of comfort/technology. The 2.0T engine @ 200hp is underrated in the same way BMW underrates the 335i engine. I'm just wondering if most of you guys had to ever drive an entry level BMW engine. I recently drove a LCI 323i(same as 325i in the states) loaner, I couldn't find one single reason why anyone would want this car over other similarly priced options, except for the BMW name.
Everyone can sit here and argue the pros and cons of Audi vs BMW all day, I know Footie would have some fun , but the underlying concept of these 2 manufacturers aren't that same, IMO. Choose whatever suits you best, and be thankful you have the choice..cause quite frankly, outside the States/Canada, most of us probably won't get to have such lovely headaches.

Audi's been working hard in the last few years, stepping up their competition. Removing the 3.2 engine and replacing it with the S4 in the same price segment; and that did what to the 335i arguments?

One thing I do agree here is, if Quattro is available on the model you're picking, PLEASE GET IT. Doesn't really make sense, to me, to have an Audi without quattro.
      04-06-2010, 05:46 PM   #19
NYC6
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 135i PPKI/06 C6 Z51 Vette

Checkmate, game over!

Fantastic billboard coup de grace!
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2010, 05:51 PM   #20
blue2fire
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

You should have warned her off the CVT and FWD. The whole point of buying an Audi is Quattro, even normal people will appreciate paying the extra 1800-2000(?) when the weather is bad.

BMW CCA
Member #420568
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Murray View Post
Being a fan of Honda engines, I requested that they consider building for the F1 a 4.5 liter V10 or V12. I asked, I tried to persuade them, but in the end could not convince them to do it, and the McLaren F1 ended up with a BMW engine.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2010, 06:36 PM   #21
Top_Gear_Fan
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2fire View Post
You should have warned her off the CVT and FWD. The whole point of buying an Audi is Quattro, even normal people will appreciate paying the extra 1800-2000(?) when the weather is bad.
I did, but she couldn't justify the price for quattro nor did she think she would feel a difference because she's not a spirited driver. And the weather in CA doesn't really get too bad.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2010, 07:11 PM   #22
stickypaws
Dictator
Rep
Drives: people crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yay-Z View Post
Me too. I've always been on the fence with Audi. I like their sort of anonymous style exterior design, but every time I look really close at the details of the interior I get turned off by the materials. Strange greasy leather, headliner that's more like pot scrubber material, and oddly placed buttons and knobs (and with way too many of them; it's too cluttered for me.)

And even I thought the steering seemed numb (I drive an E63 AMG as my daily.) The Audi's steering felt even heavier and more imprecise, but with zero of the comfort of my Benz.

I'm probably also the only person who doesn't like those blingy LEDs, either. They're becoming more fad-like than truly functional.

Anyway, Audi's are not bad cars by any means, they just don't do much for me. They are "in-between" cars, imho. Not really that sporty and not really that comfortable or luxurious, either.

I want to like them. But after all is said and done, they end up being nothing that special.
Appreciate 0