BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

BPM

02-27-2015, 11:38 PM   #23
loveskiing
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by davesaddiction View Post
Beauty. Congrats!
Thanks! I agree the Saloon is THE M3 of choice! Seems like you've got a couple of future M3 lovers in the rear seat of your car too
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2015, 11:44 PM   #24
loveskiing
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Thanks to imkrister, tony 093, PRESTIGEBMWPERFORMANCE, Gr330zhp, and lorinzo.
All of you guys who've responded make this place such a nice oasis...while we have BMW's in common it seems that there is a sense of comradeship that goes beyond just the love of cars
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2015, 11:53 PM   #25
loveskiing
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by maloo View Post
Nice! Did the owner take it for you to a shop for the PPI or did you use a mobile PPI company?

Looking forward to your shipping experience thread as well.
Thanks!
I was really fortunate to find an incredible member of this forum (Ranger22) who not only took the car for the PPI, but stayed with the car until it was safely loaded on the truck heading up here to Oregon.
As for the PPI itself, I called 20 different places before I found the perfect place. The owner of the BMW shop (Brent @ Ultimate Bimmer Service in Carrollton TX. just outside of Dallas) spent almost 4 hours going over the car with a fine tooth comb and called me, sent pictures and an e-mail report. Talk about excellent service!
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2015, 11:55 PM   #26
loveskiing
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GymLove View Post
Congrats and welcome forum! I just bought mine 2013 and it had 4228 miles.
Thanks!
Now why didn't you talk to BMW and tell them to make 2013 M3 E90's???
Enjoy your car too!
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2015, 01:21 AM   #27
loveskiing
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

BMW M3 Shipping

I just shipped my 2011 M3 E90 shipped from Dallas TX. to Portland OR. and called, e-mailed or contacted almost 50 different shippers. It took the better part of a week to finally find the one that I went with and I wanted to share my experiences to perhaps save another member from doing all that leg work if you should ever want to ship your car from one place to another.
I will state two things here first:
1) What I state is simply my OPINION, not fact...feel free to disagree if you feel otherwise or find/have different experiences.
2) This really applies primarily to those who are wanting to ship enclosed as I didn't want to be spending lots of $$$ to buy the car and then have problems occur in the shipping that might cause me headaches afterwards.

I discovered that almost all the shippers can be broken into 3 main groups or types:
a) those who are true brokers, have very little knowledge of who they are brokering your shipment to/with, and are more interested in taking a piece of the pie (your hard earned $$$) and set you up with anyone they can find that agrees to take the shipment for X dollars
b) those brokers who claim to know and only work with certain drivers that meet X standards and on some occasions will misrepresent themselves as something more than that when in reality they too are simply brokering a deal that if anything happens such as your car gets damage, your only recourse LEGALLY is with the driver. They will tell you that they will intercede on your behalf but you are left to depend on chasing someone to chase someone else and that might put you in a poor position
c) those outfits that have their own trucks, own drivers and if things go sideways they are responsible. BE CAREFUL here as some who fall into this category will also use someone else if their truck/drivers (type B) are full or not available to get your deal. Caveat Emptor!

I need to state here that if you don't live in the main corridors which are LA/Florida or Florida/NY good luck! It seems like the airlines if you live in the main big cities no problem with finding carriers and cheaper (sometimes) rates. But if you live in the boonies (who knew that Oregon & Washington with over 11 million people was the boonies?) many of the carriers do not service your area which limits who will take your vehicle.
I will now give you some of the rates that I was quoted along with open or closed and how long it would take:

Intercity Type B & C (Some folks mentioned this company but my experience wasn't that great) First I was told that they don't service Portland, then when I called another #, they did give me a quote but when pressed the guy indicated that they were simply going to broker the business.

Montway type A $1059 open (cash price $999) $1339 closed (cash price $1289 could pick up in 1-5 days and take 5-7 days for the trip

Reliable Carriers type C $1983 closed It would take 30 days because they were booked up; the guy didn't really sound like he wanted or needed my business

GT Sports type C $1950 closed The guy took my name and number said he would call back but never did

Vehiport type B $1050 open, $1550 closed

Rev Car-Go type B $1100 open, $1575 closed

Horseless Carriage Don't service Pacific NW, referred me to Passport

Passport type C $1950 closed would need 1-2 weeks

Wagoneers AutoTransport type B $1195 open, $1875 closed

JP Logistics type B or C not sure $1925 open, $2500 closed

Envision type A or B not sure but VERY aggressive $1000 open, $1450
closed

Pilot Transport type C I believe $2950 closed and need 3-4 weeks out

OK there are many others but the one that I selected was PLYCAR LLC type C for many reasons:
1) They are third generation company with THEIR OWN TRUCKS (30+), THEIR OWN DRIVERS, and if things go wrong they are responsible! They do NOT give your pride and joy to someone else that they "know and trust" just to make a buck.
2) I spoke to them on Thursday evening, they picked the car up that Saturday and I got her safe and sound 5 days later plus I got updates from the driver along the way.
3) They use white glove service and if your car is on the bottom it is fully covered to prevent any leaks, spills etc from the car above.
4) They service many parts of the country and don't treat you like a leper if you live off the main track
5) They routinely handle VERY expensive cars like McLaren, Ferrari, Lambo, etc. Matter of fact my M3 was riding with a McLaren mp4-12c which no matter how hard I tried, I could get the driver to give me instead of my car even though I offered him a few hundred extra!
6) Nick Pliaconis (the grandson of the original owner) was incredible and has indicated a desire to get our business. Give him a call at the Torrance CA office (Google it or PM me if you want more info) and mention that you read my review and ask him to take care of you!
7) Their price was very competitive but their service was out of this world.
8) They said that the biggest dealer of exotic cars in my state uses this company to ship all their cars.

So...be VERY careful who you select...make SURE you ask and re-ask who is responsible if there are ANY problems in shipping along with getting all your questions answered BEFORE you ship. Take LOTS of pics before the car is loaded and have the driver make any notations of any defects...that way if there is any problem when the car arrives you have a record that the defect wasn't present when it was loaded and must have occurred during the shipping process. The overwhelming time nothing will happen, I just think one might wish to be prudent in the rare case that a problem does happen.

Thanks for the long read...good luck and feel free to PM me if you want more info.
Appreciate 1
      02-28-2015, 10:19 AM   #28
PorkchopExpress
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M3

Grats on the purchase.
Appreciate 1
      02-28-2015, 10:47 AM   #29
CBS
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10535, E90M3, E30M3, E28M5

Garage List
2017 Alpina B6 GC  [0.00]
2014 535xi M Sport  [0.00]
2014 X3 3.5 M Sport  [0.00]
2011 M3 E90  [9.74]
2007 Z4 M Coupe  [7.00]
1990 M3  [9.50]
1988 M5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveskiing View Post
Thanks! I've already joined BMW CCA...haven't attended any of the local track events but want to do so this year...kinda wondering about bringing this baby to the track...
Understand, I was concerned about taking my E90 to the track too but I quickly got over that. Frankly I still stick to tracks with lots of run off and always get supplemental insurance.

If you are thinking about tracking, it's best to not modify your car (besides brake pads and brake fluid upgrade) and learn how to drive your M3 first before adding mods. You will be amazed how quickly you become a better driver and then are looking for ways to increase mechanical grip.

I've introduced several friends to the track and I have noticed they either really like it (get hooked like me) or can't stand it. There isn't much middle ground.

Regardless, Congratulations again, your M3 is Sweet!

Cheers,
Chris

ESS VT-1 550 | M24 Oil Cooler | Fall Line Half Cage | RaceTech 4009W | 6 pt Harness | Lifeline Zero 360 Fire Suppression | Rear Seat Delete | Motion Control DA Dampers w/remote reservoirs | 900/650 Hyperco Springs | RD Sport Sway Bars | Brembo 380 BBK | GC Camber Plates | Hoosier R7 | Eisenmann Sport | Stack Gauges | Painted Challenge Front Lip | Painted ZCP Rear Spoiler | Xpel Ultimate Film | LuxAngelEyes
Appreciate 1
      02-28-2015, 04:35 PM   #30
loveskiing
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorkchopExpress View Post
Grats on the purchase.
Thanks! This is an incredible forum...nice to be a real member after lurking and salivating for so many moons
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2015, 04:36 PM   #31
loveskiing
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBS View Post
Understand, I was concerned about taking my E90 to the track too but I quickly got over that. Frankly I still stick to tracks with lots of run off and always get supplemental insurance.

If you are thinking about tracking, it's best to not modify your car (besides brake pads and brake fluid upgrade) and learn how to drive your M3 first before adding mods. You will be amazed how quickly you become a better driver and then are looking for ways to increase mechanical grip.

I've introduced several friends to the track and I have noticed they either really like it (get hooked like me) or can't stand it. There isn't much middle ground.

Regardless, Congratulations again, your M3 is Sweet!

Cheers,
Chris
Thanks Chris!
So all I have to do is get five Beemers like you and I can take one to the track, right?
Appreciate 1
      02-28-2015, 05:36 PM   #32
CBS
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10535, E90M3, E30M3, E28M5

Garage List
2017 Alpina B6 GC  [0.00]
2014 535xi M Sport  [0.00]
2014 X3 3.5 M Sport  [0.00]
2011 M3 E90  [9.74]
2007 Z4 M Coupe  [7.00]
1990 M3  [9.50]
1988 M5  [10.00]
Quote:
Thanks Chris!
So all I have to do is get five Beemers like you and I can take one to the track, right?
Touché!

Good one!

ESS VT-1 550 | M24 Oil Cooler | Fall Line Half Cage | RaceTech 4009W | 6 pt Harness | Lifeline Zero 360 Fire Suppression | Rear Seat Delete | Motion Control DA Dampers w/remote reservoirs | 900/650 Hyperco Springs | RD Sport Sway Bars | Brembo 380 BBK | GC Camber Plates | Hoosier R7 | Eisenmann Sport | Stack Gauges | Painted Challenge Front Lip | Painted ZCP Rear Spoiler | Xpel Ultimate Film | LuxAngelEyes
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2015, 06:37 PM   #33
JupiterBMW
Self Proclaimed Roundel Junkie
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E90 M3 & '13 F25 X3

Wow man, great intro thread and even better review of all of the shipping companies. I will admit, I spoke to a few friends that I know have shipped various cars. They all mentioned Montway, so I went with them. I was understanding that they were a true broker, but I spoke with them and was very frank. I explained that I wanted to ensure the car would get shipped in a timely manner and taken care of. I got a screamin' deal (Paid $950 for the "cash on delivery" price from Seattle to Jupiter (about 90 miles North of Miami) which is a big part of why I chose Montway. I did have my concerns, but I had photos from the pickup, and when the delivery truck turned out to NOT be the same truck that picked it up, I took plenty of time to do a very thorough inspection.

Overall, my experience was fine. The car was picked up on Thursday of last week and arrived at my house Tuesday morning at 7am. Granted, it was pretty dirty, but a quick wash and it was all good.

Regardless, glad to hear you had a great experience as well. Looking forward to more pics of the car.
Past: '11 E91 335is, '11 E90 M3, '10 X5M, '14 328d, '03 330i Dinan3 ZHP, '04 330i ZHP, '12 X3 35i
Appreciate 1
      04-02-2015, 07:14 PM   #34
buffstocover
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 6MT

Quote:
Thanks! I agree the Saloon is THE M3 of choice! Seems like you've got a couple of future M3 lovers in the rear seat of your car too
Congratulations on your purchase. Trust me, as I posted just a few days ago about my recently acquired e90, I know how hard it is to find a lightly used e90! It took me months!

And, like you, I also read lots and lots of threads on this forum before I purchased, and the information was very helpful. The forum is an invaluable resource (and incredible time-suck) for any (all) of us who obsess over these cars. See you 'round!
Appreciate 1
      04-02-2015, 08:49 PM   #35
loveskiing
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JupiterBMW View Post
Wow man, great intro thread and even better review of all of the shipping companies. I will admit, I spoke to a few friends that I know have shipped various cars. They all mentioned Montway, so I went with them. I was understanding that they were a true broker, but I spoke with them and was very frank. I explained that I wanted to ensure the car would get shipped in a timely manner and taken care of. I got a screamin' deal (Paid $950 for the "cash on delivery" price from Seattle to Jupiter (about 90 miles North of Miami) which is a big part of why I chose Montway. I did have my concerns, but I had photos from the pickup, and when the delivery truck turned out to NOT be the same truck that picked it up, I took plenty of time to do a very thorough inspection.

Overall, my experience was fine. The car was picked up on Thursday of last week and arrived at my house Tuesday morning at 7am. Granted, it was pretty dirty, but a quick wash and it was all good.

Regardless, glad to hear you had a great experience as well. Looking forward to more pics of the car.
Man....remind me to have you at the negotiating table when it comes time to buy something...(I did hear through the M3 Forum grapevine that you bought Manhattan Island back in the day for $24 worth of beads... )
You got a screaming deal from Seattle to Miami for $950...but again that was open and I specifically wanted to take no chances and elected to go enclosed...I figured my find was a pristine garage empress and wanted her to arrive as such...
My thoughts on "deals" is really about risk...it's always a great deal until it's not and then having that extra protection is sometimes worth the extra expenditure...
I love your car...glad we are no longer in the "unicorn" hunting business...rather we're now in the unicorn driving business!
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2015, 08:52 PM   #36
JupiterBMW
Self Proclaimed Roundel Junkie
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E90 M3 & '13 F25 X3

Hah, agreed my friend! And believe me, those 5 days waiting for the car to arrive safely were pure torture. But, as soon as I saw it and got it safely in my garage, I was more than thrilled and relieved.

And yes, time to finally just enjoy not having to hunt anymore. Its time to just DRIVE!
Past: '11 E91 335is, '11 E90 M3, '10 X5M, '14 328d, '03 330i Dinan3 ZHP, '04 330i ZHP, '12 X3 35i
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2015, 08:59 PM   #37
loveskiing
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffstocover View Post
Congratulations on your purchase. Trust me, as I posted just a few days ago about my recently acquired e90, I know how hard it is to find a lightly used e90! It took me months!

And, like you, I also read lots and lots of threads on this forum before I purchased, and the information was very helpful. The forum is an invaluable resource (and incredible time-suck) for any (all) of us who obsess over these cars. See you 'round!
Thanks!
Yes...what I can say with certainty after spending months and months on the hunt is this: If you're looking for a 2011 E90 single owner garage queen car with comp pkg that is silver or gray (or any color besides white, black, and or red) with low miles, decent options (nav, moonroof, premium pkg, cold weather pkg, enhanced sound, tech pkg, rear shades, etc) GOOD LUCK! because they are true unicorns...and go for MORE than book...
Now if you aren't that picky about condition, multiple owners, track cars, pristine condition, by all means go to all the various internet sources and you'll find many M3's at book or lower...it really depends on what you're seeking and how much you want to pay for top end quality...to each their own is my adage!
Where in Seattle are you? Ever get down to Stumptown? Maybe we can meet either up by you or down here...summer is coming and there are lots of good places to take these cars for a spin!
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2015, 09:18 PM   #38
benha
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3

Garage List
2013 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
I have nearly the exact build in a SG E92 in Portland. Welcome to the club! Since in OR the cops are bloodthirsty I just installed a laser/radar system. Watch out cause hitting that M button is tempting on 26 climbing up the hill after the tunnel. Hey, how is your Pinnacle holding up? I need some tint added. You need to bring it to a BMWCCA meeting.
Appreciate 1
      04-02-2015, 10:01 PM   #39
Conzyo
Pho is yummy
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 & E70 X5M & 12' GTR

Op car looks amazing
You're gonna have fun modding
      04-02-2015, 10:42 PM   #40
loveskiing
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by benha View Post
I have nearly the exact build in a SG E92 in Portland. Welcome to the club! Since in OR the cops are bloodthirsty I just installed a laser/radar system. Watch out cause hitting that M button is tempting on 26 climbing up the hill after the tunnel. Hey, how is your Pinnacle holding up? I need some tint added. You need to bring it to a BMWCCA meeting.
Thanks! Now you've got me curious about your car so I got to see it!
YES!!! on the Beaverton PD...did you know that they gave out THREE times the # of citations of the Portland PD? They lead in the State...so whenever I'm in Beaverton I never exceed the limit by more than a couple of MPH...let them suck someone else's hard earned $$$ out of their wallet!
I am a BMWCCA member...recently joined...did see the annual shindig but didn't go because it was a formal and I didn't know anyone so thought I'd wait until later on and meet some folks here and then go...
Do you go to C&C on Saturday AM's? Maybe we can meet there...I'd like to meet other local M3 owners...
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2015, 10:46 PM   #41
loveskiing
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conzyo View Post
Op car looks amazing
You're gonna have fun modding
Thanks!
I'm thinking ECU/DCT tune and exhaust for starters...not sure I want to do much else but if I keep running into guys like you, I'm sure it will be a full blown 700hp monster that will have babies and neighbors crying...
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2015, 09:55 AM   #42
benha
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3

Garage List
2013 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
Here's one from last year with the winter wheels on my 2013. Didn't need them this year. Haven't been to a C&C yet due to kids' sports but I'll make it soon now that basketball is over. You have to got to the Maryhill Loops hillclimb this summer; it's an awesome event. I really want to do a HPDE @ PIR this year.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-12-2015, 10:57 PM   #43
buffstocover
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveskiing
Quote:
Originally Posted by buffstocover View Post

Thanks!
Yes...what I can say with certainty after spending months and months on the hunt is this: If you're looking for a 2011 E90 single owner garage queen car with comp pkg that is silver or gray (or any color besides white, black, and or red) with low miles, decent options (nav, moonroof, premium pkg, cold weather pkg, enhanced sound, tech pkg, rear shades, etc) GOOD LUCK! because they are true unicorns...and go for MORE than book...
Now if you aren't that picky about condition, multiple owners, track cars, pristine condition, by all means go to all the various internet sources and you'll find many M3's at book or lower...it really depends on what you're seeking and how much you want to pay for top end quality...to each their own is my adage!
Where in Seattle are you? Ever get down to Stumptown? Maybe we can meet either up by you or down here...summer is coming and there are lots of good places to take these cars for a spin!
Trust me, i know, I searched forever. I don't know if you saw my first post about my car, but I abandoned looking for an '11 and just focused on low mileage w/o regard to year. I couldn't believe when I found an 08 that had been driven about 3k per year with most oil changes at 4k mile intervals. I jumped all over it.

I'd love to hit a few of the roads down in Portland. There's so much traffic around here. If I'm ever down there I'll shoot u a PM. You do the same
      04-13-2015, 12:40 PM   #44
Japanese_Racer
S65B40 FTMFW
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1995 E34 540i, 2011 E90 M3 ZCP

Congratulations on the beautiful E90 M3 and welcome to the club!

As for your insight on shipping carriers, your information is spot-on. When I shipped my E90 from the Bay Area CA to Los Angeles CA it cost me ~$500 with Reliable Carriers in an enclosed truck. And similar to your experience, it turned out to be that my E90 was the cheapest car on the truck!

Also, Reliable Carriers frequently works with many Auto Shows for their logistical needs, so they may have been busy with the New York International Auto Show.... hence the 1 month wait and price.

But anyways congratulations again and enjoy the car!