BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

BPM

10-03-2007, 04:38 PM   #1
nmulax
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 M Coupe

Garage List
2007 Z4M Coupé  [7.66]
Thumbs down street racing is bad

Ok, we got that out of the way.

It's stupid, dangerous to yourself and others, and shouldn't be done. But sometimes the competitive kid in all of us takes over.

Heading back from lunch today, cruising along and this Crossfire coupe goes flying past. Get to the light, my lane's got less cars, so I'm ahead of him and he again does a fly-by once it turns green.
A block down and we're both at the front of our lanes. He rolls down his window and ask "are you ready?". Eh what the hell. Turn off DTC/DSC, perfect launch with just enough wheelspin, chirp them going into second, and pulled a car length or two before slowing for the next light.

He pulls up and it goes like this:
him: "what's under the hood?"
me: "just a straight six. that little thing moves."
him: "yeah, it's a V6; but I'm going to turbo it and it'll really kick ass."
me: "oh, cool"
him: points to my car "that thing's fast for a 4-door"

10-03-2007, 04:46 PM   #2
Kev
Critical Care Anesthesiologist
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: SMB F83

Garage List
Don't lookdown on the Crossfire SRT6 coz it has the AMG supercharged V6 putting out 300+ crank HP
      10-03-2007, 04:47 PM   #3
ironic
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Jet Black 335i

lol

Widebody 335i Project Car BUILD | PHOTOSHOOT
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2007, 04:47 PM   #4
RBP
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i Convertible M sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmulax View Post
Ok, we got that out of the way.

It's stupid, dangerous to yourself and others, and shouldn't be done...

And yet you still street raced. I sincerely hope you don't end up killing someone some day although I'm completely unconcerned for your own well being. It would be nice if the police were allowed to simply shoot street racers rather than have to go through the hassel of giving them a ticket.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2007, 04:56 PM   #5
scoop
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 08 335i coupe

I'm sure a lot of you have read the law that's just been put in place up here: 50 km over (that's 30 mph) the limit and cops confiscate your car for a week.
A little Draconian I think. Plus I can't see how it holds up in court.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2007, 05:03 PM   #6
pittyinSC
Drives Smart
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1968 Austin Mini Cooper 1380cc

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Ha I need to get shifting down cuz I have only been only to chirp 2nd like 2 times so far?....I mean I chirped when I had stock 18's RFT and now once with 19's on 265 width tires.....How do you get the fastest shift into 2nd?

Or well how do you run to 60 fastest? Do you powershift by keeping foot a litle gas (which I dont do, I need to learn) or do you slip it a lil

08 BMW ///M5 Space Gray/Black 6 speed
Engine: RPi GTS exhaust, RPi Scoops, Carbon Filter Delete
Exterior: Glossy Black Kidneys, LUX V3, OEM LED License Plate light, Bruce License Plate Adapter

Last edited by pittyinSC; 10-03-2007 at 05:52 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2007, 09:55 PM   #7
Stinger44
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBP View Post
And yet you still street raced. I sincerely hope you don't end up killing someone some day although I'm completely unconcerned for your own well being. It would be nice if the police were allowed to simply shoot street racers rather than have to go through the hassel of giving them a ticket.
Here we go again, more "holier than thou" lecturing on street racing. This topic was hotly debated on Freshalloy forum for Nissan/Infiniti. The ol "you're gonna kill someone racing" really gets old. Ppl shouldn't drink and drive either (by the way, still the number one killer of innocent ppl on the roads in the US). Having a little fun can be done safely and should probably not be done on busy streets or neighborhoods but on interstates and open roads, it can be fun. Considering all the other ways ppl manage to get killed in cars, street racing seems inert. Cracks me up that ppl will spend all kinds of money on a high performance car and drive it like a leaf peeper in New England in the fall. Get a hybrid or something. BLUF, buy a car liken to your driving habits for crying out loud.

Be nice if the cops could shoot the many idiots driving cars too but that's not going to happen either. lmao
      10-03-2007, 10:14 PM   #8
OBI_agent
D to the X to the B!
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: ABS,American bargain supercar

Empty road racing is legal!
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2007, 10:16 PM   #9
RBP
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinger44 View Post
Here we go again, more "holier than thou" lecturing on street racing. This topic was hotly debated on Freshalloy forum for Nissan/Infiniti. The ol "you're gonna kill someone racing" really gets old. Ppl shouldn't drink and drive either (by the way, still the number one killer of innocent ppl on the roads in the US). Having a little fun can be done safely and should probably not be done on busy streets or neighborhoods but on interstates and open roads, it can be fun. Considering all the other ways ppl manage to get killed in cars, street racing seems inert. Cracks me up that ppl will spend all kinds of money on a high performance car and drive it like a leaf peeper in New England in the fall. Get a hybrid or something. BLUF, buy a car liken to your driving habits for crying out loud.

Be nice if the cops could shoot the many idiots driving cars too but that's not going to happen either. lmao
And when you have finished giving a very good friend CPR while noticing the stuff coming out of the crack in his skull and then looking his mother in the eye after she finds out her son has died from a street racing incident...THEN come back here and explain to me how it is a holier than thou situation and that the good little bit of fun shouldn't be spoiled.

If wishes came true your brain aneurism would be bursting right about now.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2007, 10:37 PM   #10
renegade
Private
Rep
Drives: '06 330i

Quote:
Considering all the other ways ppl manage to get killed in cars, street racing seems inert. Cracks me up that ppl will spend all kinds of money on a high performance car and drive it like a leaf peeper in New England in the fall. Get a hybrid or something. BLUF, buy a car liken to your driving habits for crying out loud.
Funny, because it cracks me up when ppl like yourself spend money on a high performance car yet are too lazy or cheap to find and use the nearest track - legally, where you'd find some real competition
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2007, 10:49 PM   #11
beauderek
Client Advisor/Radio DJ
Rep
Drives: 2006 bmw 330xi/2019 bmw 230i

Garage List
2006 330xi  [0.00]
Quote:

Well said.
f22 230i delivered 12/27/18/Seaside Blue/Oyster Sensatec/Manual/Heated front seats, Track & Handling package/CF mirrors and rear spoiler/M Sport front bumper/Shadowline trim/M Performance shift knob/1 Series (f21) M Sport steering wheel
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2007, 11:09 PM   #12
M4TW
///M Uber Alles
Canada
Rep
Drives: '15 MW M4

Quote:
Do people who harmlessly race to the next light with no traffic in front of them and don't get out of second gear deserve the same summary execution according to your own rabid law as punks who drive at high speeds while weaving through traffic?

While this particular event seemed harmless, I've realized that these cars have too much moxie to even bother with these little pissing contests. You should drive like you've got nothing to prove. Be cool. For these episodes I keep my track 1/4 mile slip handy. Just flash it to the other driver. If he's got a faster one on board, bully for him. If he really wants to go me, then he'll know where to find me.

And yes, I do like to have some fun with my car from time to time alone late at night on empty roads. I don't go ape shit, but like to wind it out a bit, get some fun step shifting in, listen to the turbos, and try a corner or two.

So shoot me.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2007, 11:11 PM   #13
Nikolas
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 996 TT

Quote:
Originally Posted by beauderek View Post
Well said.
No, poorly said. Street racing is absolutely stupid. There are plenty of opportunities to take your car off street for fast driving. Just because you obey the laws on the street does not make you a non-performance driver. Take it to the track.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2007, 11:12 PM   #14
El_T3ton
Infiltrator
Rep
Drives: Black 2008 Mustang GT

The only people that hate the "fun" street races are the ones that lose.

2008 Mustang GT 5sp: 4.10 gears, Steeda Axleback, Steeda Charge Motion Delete Plates, Steeda CAI, XCAL2 w/Steeda Tune, Steeda Tri-Ax
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2007, 11:14 PM   #15
Nikolas
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 996 TT

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_T3ton View Post
The only people that hate the "fun" street races are the ones that lose.
Nice. GMAFB

Also 90% of the people that "lose" don't even realize they were in a street race!

Last edited by Nikolas; 10-03-2007 at 11:43 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2007, 11:56 PM   #16
RBP
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Take it to the track.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2007, 12:00 AM   #17
El_T3ton
Infiltrator
Rep
Drives: Black 2008 Mustang GT

"Also 90% of the people that "lose" don't even realize they were in a street race!"

So that is the excuse...

I kinda figured that when that M3 honked 3 times and we slowed down to 40Mph before we took off he knew, I guess he was just letting me get ahead of him on purpose.

I know it isn't safe but you gotta admit that there is a fun rush when the roads are empty.

2008 Mustang GT 5sp: 4.10 gears, Steeda Axleback, Steeda Charge Motion Delete Plates, Steeda CAI, XCAL2 w/Steeda Tune, Steeda Tri-Ax
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2007, 01:04 AM   #18
Kiemyster
Bimmerpost Resident Marijuana Consultant
Trinidad_and_tobago
Rep
Drives: 320i, 325xi, 335Xi, 335i, M3

Garage List
fuck every1 who criticizes it. we all do it.
      10-04-2007, 02:51 AM   #19
koreez88
Всем привет ;)
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla

I was racing a souped up Accord tonight and won with a slight edge. I guess 325i is still a pretty fast car. Ran about 3-4 times, I had pulled like maybe 1 car length when reaching 120.
It was at 11:00 pm, so the traffic was very mild.
I feel bad for doing this, but so it happened.
Will try to be smarter next time.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2007, 03:53 AM   #20
Stinger44
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
And when you have finished giving a very good friend CPR while noticing the stuff coming out of the crack in his skull and then looking his mother in the eye after she finds out her son has died from a street racing incident...THEN come back here and explain to me how it is a holier than thou situation and that the good little bit of fun shouldn't be spoiled.

If wishes came true your brain aneurism would be bursting right about now.
Please don't lecture me on ppl dying, I'm in a combat zone; it's insulting. My point is ppl take risks everyday and although I agree that racing can increase the risk of somebody getting hurt, we all knowingly take that risk and others telling it's a bad thing is treating ppl like children. I'm sorry you witnessed someone getting killed but if you believe in fate, ppl will usually die at unexpected times regardless of how careful they are.
      10-04-2007, 03:56 AM   #21
Stinger44
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by renegade View Post
Funny, because it cracks me up when ppl like yourself spend money on a high performance car yet are too lazy or cheap to find and use the nearest track - legally, where you'd find some real competition
This is quickly turning into the same thread I was involved in before. I don't have access to a track and I don't speed very often. However if I choose to race someone, it's on my own accord and my decision. Not sure how you came to the conclusion I'm lazy and cheap but hey, it's your opinion.
      10-04-2007, 09:24 AM   #22
Revlis
Now With 33% MORE Sarcasm Free!
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 i3 X3

Love the toolsheds BOO-HOOING Here.... WTF?

Get a grip you Nanny State Hypocrites... We are NOT talking organized street racing here, we are NOT talking about dumbshits running head to head in a crowd for 1/4 mile. He's talking about hitting the gas from a freaking stoplight, it's about getting to the next stoplight quicker than the other guy.

Jeezus, a little common sense here huh? Are you all so damn cowed that stomping on the gas is a criminal act? Get over yourselves and your FEAR of having a little fun...

Same group of ignorant safety Nazi Shit heads that cry and whine about NOT turning off DSC "EVER" "IT'S SO DANGEROUS." Damn, SELL YOUR BMW, go get in a Volvo, STOP posing as driving enthusiasts and take your soft headed Bullshit Horror Stories to your next "Group" session.

If none of you ever Speed, Stomp on the Gas, or Go Railing through the twisties at well beyond the posted limit???? THEN YOU ARE IN THE WRONG CAR! These cars are about driving, and driving hard, not poser shit heads terrified of their own machines. Certainly the track is the place for roughhousing, no doubt. But if ANY OF YOU say "I never Speed", "I NEVER HIT THE GAS", or "I never Drive aggressively" You are completely full of shit, and a hypocrite...

The OP was talking about a simple little Green light Throttle Stomp, Not a Late light Ricer Fueled, Festival of Stupidity... We've all done it in one form another and this alarmist, reactionary mindset is how speed limits get reduced even further, and how nanny state crap like HP restrictions get tossed around.