BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > The Sports Lounge

EXXEL Distributions

03-10-2010, 06:32 AM   #1
TP 135i
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i SGM MT

Garage List
Michael Vick = Courage ?

OK...I'll start because I believe this is a prime example of what is wrong with today's society.

The Ed Block Courage Award Foundation is dedicated to improving the lives of neglected children and ending the cycle of abuse. The purpose is to raise Awareness and Prevention of child abuse. That objective is coupled with the Foundation's commitment to celebrating players of inspiration in the NFL.

The Philadelphia Eagles nominated Michael Vick for this award and the Ed Block Courage Foundation accepted it.

So the torture of animals, getting caught, serving time = COURAGE

This is unbelievable!

COURAGE would have been if Michael Vick saw this animal abuse going on, stopped it and turned in anyone that he knew that continued with the torture. But, NO, he wasn't "sorry" about his actions until AFTER he got caught. WOW...it takes real Courage to get caught!

Comments?

2008 135i SGM
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2010, 07:31 AM   #2
SteveMD
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2016 F10 535i MSport

It's a shame. Being a Marylander and fan of Baltimore Football, I am familiar with the Ed Block Courage Awards and have actually been 4 times. Met a lot of cool NFL players over the years.

What a joke.
2016 F10 535i M Sport
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2010, 08:40 AM   #3
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: as many as possible

Totally agree.

It is almost like people are flashing their sympathy cards for him.

The only thing is sorry for is getting caught. Animal abuse is one of the few things that gets me to the "die" stage.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2010, 08:47 AM   #4
Feyd
Major
Rep
Drives: a DEEZZULL

Hope he burns.

*shrug*
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2010, 08:52 AM   #5
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep
Drives: VF

Yup we wonder why our kids are so fucked up behaviorally.... Look at how we constantly glorify criminals....
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2010, 09:02 AM   #6
MrRoboto
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

You can take the boy out the hood but not the hood out the boy.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2010, 09:25 AM   #7
Peanuto
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 335i Lemans Blue M-sport

"The Ed Block Courage Award Foundation is dedicated to improving the lives of neglected children and ending the cycle of abuse. The purpose is to raise Awareness and Prevention of child abuse. That objective is coupled with the Foundation's commitment to celebrating players of inspiration in the NFL."

Playing devil's advocate here for a moment. What he did was wrong. I love dogs and have had them all my life. I used to work at the SPCA. Now to the devil's advocate part. Is Michael Vick not now speaking often to children, schools, and in public forums (albeit part of his release from jail) trying to prevent the abuse of animals. He didn't win the award while in jail. He won the award for his behavior THIS YEAR which has been raising awareness and prevention of animal abuse.If it was a career award or lifetime achievement award I would agree with you completely. And while I agree he is a controversial choice, are they supposed to ignore his current behavior. But it is based on his behavior THIS YEAR.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2010, 09:28 AM   #8
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Not to get into an argument but last year he could not have won. He was in prison for torturing animals.

But alas. This year he won because he is speaking about animal abuse. pssssffftttt.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2010, 09:36 AM   #9
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
He's done his time and paid his debt to society. He is now speaking out against the practice which is very similar to many drug counselors who are recovered drug addicts. You mean to tell me they do no good now and are not deserving of any praise? I think you guys are what's wrong with our society. Once a ___ always a ___? Fuck that. Who do you think some ghetto kid will be more likely to look up to and take advice from... some liberal nerd in a suit saying "dog fighting is bad!" or an NFL player who has done hard time for doing it? I think the latter...

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2010, 09:45 AM   #10
Peanuto
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzo View Post
Not to get into an argument but last year he could not have won. He was in prison for torturing animals.

But alas. This year he won because he is speaking about animal abuse. pssssffftttt.
It goes to one player on each team voted on by the players. Every team HAS to have someone. If they think he was doing more good THIS YEAR than any other player then he deserved the award. The award is not about his past. If it included his past, I would agree. But it specifically does not. I do think "courage award" is a bit of a misnomer however, because courage has nothing to do with it.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2010, 09:49 AM   #11
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfJericho View Post
He's done his time and paid his debt to society. He is now speaking out against the practice which is very similar to many drug counselors who are recovered drug addicts. You mean to tell me they do no good now and are not deserving of any praise? I think you guys are what's wrong with our society. Once a ___ always a ___? Fuck that. Who do you think some ghetto kid will be more likely to look up to and take advice from... some liberal nerd in a suit saying "dog fighting is bad!" or an NFL player who has done hard time for doing it? I think the latter...
I never categorized anyone.

He is an educated and financially stable man that chose to do what he did. To do what he did to those dogs in despicable.

Do you think he would still be doing it? Do you think he would speak to these groups if not required?

Sure he may be a better person these days but a courage award. I hope he has changed but this award seems out of place by a mile.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2010, 09:59 AM   #12
Peanuto
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:

He is an educated and financially stable man that chose to do what he did. To do what he did to those dogs in despicable.

Do you think he would still be doing it? Do you think he would speak to these groups if not required?

Sure he may be a better person these days but a courage award. I hope he has changed but this award seems out of place by a mile.
Courage is a misnomer it should be a public service award. Also does it matter if he is required to do it? He is doing it. The way the award is written he is an acceptable recipient.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2010, 10:00 AM   #13
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
Quote:

The same argument can be used for anyone who was arrested for any crime. I think it's hilarious that big-time collegiate athletes are called "educated" when they're tutored constantly to maintain academically eligibility to keep winning for the school that they only got into because they can throw a ball. He was raised in the Newport News public housing projects... dog fighting is common in these rough areas and more money just made it easier for him to do. I don't think it's right by any means but that's what he grew up with so I wouldn't expect money to change it. Same thing as Plax carrying the gun into a nightclub and nearly shooting his apple-bag off.

I own a bully breed myself and think that what he did is reprehensible but I also see that he served his debt to society and is now working to keep this practice from happening. To me that is admirable. At what point is he forgiven? At what point has he made up for his actions?

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2010, 10:06 AM   #14
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

The educated part was more towards right and wrong. I know many an athlete whom graduated from major schools that can't spell.

I could be wrong but during his interview on 60 minutes awhile back I did not see true remorse in his eyes.

At any rate, I hope he has changed at least one kids outlook on doing good things in life.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2010, 10:24 AM   #15
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
Quote:
I could be wrong but during his interview on 60 minutes awhile back I did not see true remorse in his eyes.
You can not be serious...

Quote:
At any rate, I hope he has changed at least one kids outlook on doing good things in life.
That is exactly my point. He's in a great position to make a difference and is doing just that which is why I don't see why everyone has such beef with him getting the award.

Appreciate 0
      03-10-2010, 10:26 AM   #16
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

I didn't. I sensed some acting. But with bright lights and a film crew staring at you it could have been difficult to relax if you will.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2010, 10:38 AM   #17
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep

It's too soon to call him a changed man. People in the limelight who fuck up this bad always end up with a new short-term attitude that ends up dying before too long. Sure you always root for them to not go back to their old ways, but that's generally not a safe bet.

Honestly, in my opinion, he hasn't earned any respect back from me, but I'm also not damning him permanently. Let's see how he behaves when this issue is safely and securely in his past and life is going well for him once again. That'll be the true test.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2010, 10:41 AM   #18
Peanuto
Private First Class
Rep

Yet again. Past and Future have nothing to do with the award. It is based on THIS YEARS BEHAVIOR.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2010, 10:43 AM   #19
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanuto View Post
Yet again. Past and Future have nothing to do with the award. It is based on THIS YEARS BEHAVIOR.

Appreciate 0
      03-10-2010, 10:44 AM   #20
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep

Quote:
...a little bit of an exaggeration, but you're telling me that Jeffrey Dahmer could have won this award had he "paid his debts to society" and did a hard year of community service?
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2010, 10:45 AM   #21
MontegoGoGoGo
I'm kind of a bitch
United_States
Rep
Drives: Montego/Cream E93

Garage List
2007 E93  [0.00]
To take joy in and have FUN by killing another living thing is just fucked up.

People who do things like that (such as body slam the losing dog until it's dead, or electrocuting it, etc,) aren't wired correctly, and you never know what they are truly capable of.

When they profile serial killers, don't they usually find that 90% of them tortured and killed animals?
      03-10-2010, 10:47 AM   #22
solefald
Nigerian Prince
Vatican City State
Rep
Drives: '11 F25

Garage List
'11 BMW F25  [0.00]
Quote:
Playing devil's advocate here for a moment. What he did was wrong. I love dogs and have had them all my life. I used to work at the SPCA. Now to the devil's advocate part. Is Michael Vick not now speaking often to children, schools, and in public forums (albeit part of his release from jail) trying to prevent the abuse of animals. He didn't win the award while in jail. He won the award for his behavior THIS YEAR which has been raising awareness and prevention of animal abuse.If it was a career award or lifetime achievement award I would agree with you completely. And while I agree he is a controversial choice, are they supposed to ignore his current behavior. But it is based on his behavior THIS YEAR.
i wouldn't give 2 shits about him even if he cured cancer this year. what he did to those dogs is absolutely unacceptable. he should not be playing football right now, nor should he be getting this award