BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Mporium BMW

06-15-2010, 12:52 PM   #1
dafunkymunky
Registered
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Air conditioning low pressure recharge point

Hi all,

I'm looking to check the level of the air con gas, does anyone happen to know where the low pressure recharge point is located? The high pressure recharge point is nice and handy just behind the radiator at the top of the engine bay but I couldn't locate the other recharge point.

Cheers,

Chris
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2010, 07:05 PM   #2
BobsM3Coupe
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by dafunkymunky View Post
Hi all,

I'm looking to check the level of the air con gas, does anyone happen to know where the low pressure recharge point is located? The high pressure recharge point is nice and handy just behind the radiator at the top of the engine bay but I couldn't locate the other recharge point.

Cheers,

Chris
I believe its hidden on the right rear side of the engine near the firewall.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2010, 08:11 PM   #3
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by dafunkymunky View Post
does anyone happen to know where the low pressure recharge point is located?
If you find it, please post a pic. I looked for it when I only saw one some time ago, and was wondering where the hell it was. Hopefully it's somewhere we can reach it without removing any parts. Keep us posted man. Freaking Germans; it's nice when they make things better, but why the hell they have to make many others worse?
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2013, 04:57 PM   #4
Grail05
Putcha ang ganda...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 F82 M4

bumping this thread...

I think my ac is out... have not turned on my ac for months and today its about 101 and turned the AC on and no cold air at all...

so im going to try the charge it but dont know where the low pressure recharge point.

ANYONE?
      05-14-2013, 06:46 AM   #5
Grail05
Putcha ang ganda...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 F82 M4

anyone?
      05-14-2013, 10:10 PM   #6
MilehighM3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Harrop E90 M3

Garage List
2009 E90 M3  [6.50]
Under the drivers side microfilter cover
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2013, 06:59 PM   #7
crunchy_frog
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3

see here
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=840345
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2013, 08:06 PM   #8
Dannys M3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Jaguar F Type R

Garage List
2008 M3  [10.00]
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-21-2013, 10:05 PM   #9
MilehighM3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Harrop E90 M3

Garage List
2009 E90 M3  [6.50]
Please tell the world you're not using a cheap top off kit w/leak stop in it...
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2014, 03:16 PM   #10
SoTempted
Captain
Rep
Drives: Incompetently

BUMP ^What kind of kit should we be using to recharge??
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2014, 05:30 PM   #11
MTM
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3

Before you bother recharging you should check to ensure your compressor clutch isn't burned out. When you cycle the AC should hear the compressor cycle on / off...you can also visually watch the center section of the AC pulley turn on/off.

If your AC clutch runs and you still don't get cool air then the next most likely cause (as you said) is a leak.

I would start with a simple charge kit of R134a from Autozone (or similar).

For example:
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...questid=966250

These also usually have refrig oil in them which is good if your system bleed dry (and therefore your compressor needs some oil lovin').

I do not have any negative experience with the sealant that comes in these kits that MilehighM3 mentioned. But if you have a big enough leak that your system is dry then I do not believe a little stop leak will hurt...more than likely it will charge enough to run a couple of days then be gone and you'll be at a repair shop getting something replaced.

Let us know what you find out. By the way...is there no cold air on either side? Meaning driver and passenger? These M3 have separate evaporators so if one side is cold and the other is not then that pretty much guarantees you have a leaky evap on that side.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2014, 06:00 PM   #12
SoTempted
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTM View Post
Before you bother recharging you should check to ensure your compressor clutch isn't burned out. When you cycle the AC should hear the compressor cycle on / off...you can also visually watch the center section of the AC pulley turn on/off.

If your AC clutch runs and you still don't get cool air then the next most likely cause (as you said) is a leak.

I would start with a simple charge kit of R134a from Autozone (or similar).

For example:
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...questid=966250

These also usually have refrig oil in them which is good if your system bleed dry (and therefore your compressor needs some oil lovin').

I do not have any negative experience with the sealant that comes in these kits that MilehighM3 mentioned. But if you have a big enough leak that your system is dry then I do not believe a little stop leak will hurt...more than likely it will charge enough to run a couple of days then be gone and you'll be at a repair shop getting something replaced.

Let us know what you find out. By the way...is there no cold air on either side? Meaning driver and passenger? These M3 have separate evaporators so if one side is cold and the other is not then that pretty much guarantees you have a leaky evap on that side.
Oh crap. Thanks for that last piece of info. My driver side is completely NOT COLD, far passenger vent: pretty cold; center passenger vent: somewhat cool. So what does this mean repair-wise? Can I just expect to have the driver side evaporator replaced?
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2014, 08:18 PM   #13
MTM
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3

Sorry to tell you this, but it sounds to me like the driver side evaporator is toast. That won't be a cheap repair (probably $1200 or so).
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2014, 08:24 PM   #14
SoTempted
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTM View Post
Sorry to tell you this, but it sounds to me like the driver side evaporator is toast. That won't be a cheap repair (probably $1200 or so).
Yep, not surprised. As long as the passenger side works, I guess. I only use AC when I'm driving with my girl anyway. Maybe I'll see if a recharge will help a little. I don't see myself paying that kinda money for AC repair... At least there's no humidity here in New Mexico, haha.
Appreciate 0