BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

03-10-2007, 12:15 PM   #1
mdriver
Rookie
Canada
Rep
Drives: Grey E46 M3

Unhappy Sunroof

Anyone has any idea whether a sunroof is available on the option lsit of the E92 M3 instead of jsut a solid carbon fibre roof? I wish a sunroof can be part of the CF roof cos I love the M3 because it has a sunroof compared, say, to Cayman. I am trying to decide on whether to get the Cayman S this spring or wait for the M3.

Any suggestions??
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2007, 12:44 PM   #2
jtown
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: TBD

If it's on your make or break list it's probably 50/50. North America sales need moon roofs because it helps sales for people like yourself. Personally it's such a minor feature that I don't care.

Just think about 0-60 in 4.5, 420hp and a killer looking and sounding machine. Sunroof? What sunroof?
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2007, 01:11 PM   #3
ILC32
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1993 Porsche RSA

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdriver View Post
Anyone has any idea whether a sunroof is available on the option lsit of the E92 M3 instead of jsut a solid carbon fibre roof? I wish a sunroof can be part of the CF roof cos I love the M3 because it has a sunroof compared, say, to Cayman. I am trying to decide on whether to get the Cayman S this spring or wait for the M3.

Any suggestions??
A cf roof is intended to improve weight distribution and lower overall weight. A sunroof defeats the purpose.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2007, 01:18 PM   #4
monsta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Anyone has any idea whether a sunroof is available on the option lsit of the E92 M3 instead of just a solid carbon fiber roof? I wish a sunroof can be part of the CF roof cos I love the M3 because it has a sunroof compared, say, to Cayman. I am trying to decide on whether to get the Cayman S this spring or wait for the M3.

Any suggestions??
Carbon Fiber Sunroof? Highly Highly doubt it, maybe the sunroof will be a option or visversa the CF roof will be one but you can't have both...I never never open my sunroof ever & I don't drive with my windows done either.....not because you can save more gas by driving w/ the windows up but b/c I hate the wind noise...(but I don't mind it when I'm on my bike :rocks: )

'08 E92 M3 6MT | IB | FR | RAC RG63's | VRS Ti Exhaust | Fabspeed HFC & Xpipe
'09 X5 35d SG/SB
'11 X3 28i AW/CN/FW (wife's car
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2007, 01:44 PM   #5
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Not impossible

Quote:
Originally Posted by monsta View Post
Carbon Fiber Sunroof? Highly Highly doubt it, maybe the sunroof will be a option or visversa the CF roof will be one but you can't have both
Although a bit contradictory in terms of weight savings, having a sunroof and a CF roof together certainly is not impossible. A bit unlikely, but certainly not impossible. Personally I would like to have it that way. I like cruising on a nice sunny So. Cal. day with the breeze and sun. I also enjoy the sound in a tunnel at WOT with the sunroof open. Look if your choices are sunroof with metal roof or sunroof with CF roof which weighs less, is stiffer and has a lower roll moment of intertia? Just because one marketing/engineering decision is based on saving weight does not mean that no other decisions can cause weight gain.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2007, 01:48 PM   #6
monsta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
Although a bit contradictory in terms of weight savings, having a sunroof and a CF roof together certainly is not impossible. A bit unlikely, but certainly not impossible. Personally I would like to have it that way. I like cruising on a nice sunny So. Cal. day with the breeze and sun. I also enjoy the sound in a tunnel at WOT with the sunroof open. Look if your choices are sunroof with metal roof or sunroof with CF roof which weighs less, is stiffer and has a lower roll moment of intertia? Just because one marketing/engineering decision is based on saving weight does not mean that no other decisions can cause weight gain.

Exactly thats why I said that I highly doubt it, but it is possible & not impossible, it would be the best of both worlds but who knows we'll just have to wait & see like everything else...

'09 X5 35d SG/SB
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2007, 02:02 PM   #7
SUBLIM3
United_States
Rep
Drives: 03.5 e46 M3

I'll take the cf roof any day over a sunroof.
      03-10-2007, 02:14 PM   #8
RandyB
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '03 330i, '09 M3 Coupe

Quote:

Any suggestions??
That's funny. I told myself if they made the sunroof standard equipment and you couldn't delete it, I was going to look at a Cayman S instead. I don't want the CF roof unless they paint it, and I definitely don't want a sunroof.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2007, 04:45 PM   #9
monsta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyB View Post
That's funny. I told myself if they made the sunroof standard equipment and you couldn't delete it, I was going to look at a Cayman S instead. I don't want the CF roof unless they paint it, and I definitely don't want a sunroof.
IMHO whether or not the car has a sunroof or the cf roof isn't painted isn't sufficiant reason to buy/not buy a car...I know that's everyone has their own opinion & I respect that...but if I truely like(love) a car as much as I do this one something like this wouldn't stop me from buying it...I would just look at the other positives & rule out the negatives (in your case the sunroof & cf roof if not painted) btw you can paint the roof if you wish just my .02

'09 X5 35d SG/SB
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2007, 05:38 PM   #10
scubajag
Scuba-JAG
United_States
Rep
Drives: Jet Black 2006&07 B.R. E-92

Go with the Cayman S, a super vehicle and you can actually bargain for it....Sunroof is just part of the reasons, great engine, reliability, and a real eye catcher. I have one, carmen red, and will never give it up.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2007, 06:16 PM   #11
RandyB
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by monsta View Post
IMHO whether or not the car has a sunroof or the cf roof isn't painted isn't sufficiant reason to buy/not buy a car...I know that's everyone has their own opinion & I respect that...but if I truely like(love) a car as much as I do this one something like this wouldn't stop me from buying it...I would just look at the other positives & rule out the negatives (in your case the sunroof & cf roof if not painted) btw you can paint the roof if you wish just my .02
That is definitely your opinion. It's extra weight that I don't need, placed high on the vehicle where it doesn't belong, with moving parts that will eventually need attention to keep functioning properly or at all. Plus they interupt the continous flow of the top, and decrease the amount of headroom you have, and I don't like their appearance.

All of that aside, here is the real reason - I feel like I should be able to buy a car without this 'feature' being forced upon me. If they made Nav, I-drive or active steering standard, I would also look elsewhere for the same reason.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2007, 06:43 PM   #12
esquire
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Dakar Yellow M3, 2018 M5

the fact that the carbon fiber roof decreases weight and lowers the cars overall center of gravity for improved handling is too huge of a benefit for me to pass up on. and though i don't really care about having a sun roof or not, i'm personally not a fan of the color contrast created by having a carbon fiber roof. (people ordering the car in black, of course, won't have this problem)

i wish there was some way of getting the carbon fiber top to match the coloring of the rest of the car.

[ESS VT2-625] [Akrapovic Evolution Exhaust] [KW Clubsports] [OSS Angel Eyes] [Revinora r-CRT Lip]
[Vorsteiner Boot] [Challenge Race Diffuser] [See the Build Thread HERE]
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2007, 07:03 PM   #13
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Perspective

You guys need to keep the amount of weight saved by the CF sunroof in perspective. I think it will be about 10-15 lbs. You could loose that on a diet in 2 weeks or by not carying anything around with you in your car. I agree that the whole sunroof/CF roof is not nearly enough to not by the car.

And in regard to the Cayman: Girls car (IMO, no flames thanks). And in all performance areas E92 M3 > Cayman S. Sure we don't have exact specs yet but this is pretty much for sure.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2007, 07:32 PM   #14
RandyB
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
You guys need to keep the amount of weight saved by the CF sunroof in perspective. I think it will be about 10-15 lbs. You could loose that on a diet in 2 weeks or by not carying anything around with you in your car. I agree that the whole sunroof/CF roof is not nearly enough to not by the car.

And in regard to the Cayman: Girls car (IMO, no flames thanks). And in all performance areas E92 M3 > Cayman S. Sure we don't have exact specs yet but this is pretty much for sure.
I don't really think I want a Cayman S, but the whole US 911 lineup suffers from the same standard sunroof epidemic. I'm not looking for an excuse not to buy a new M3 because I want one really badly after seeing (and hearing) the concept. I think BMW will come through and include a moonroof delete option if they decide to make the moonroof standard equipment, especially after all of that marketing jargon about no compromise dynamics and the like. I will most likely wait a year or two into the new car to see if they offer a ZCP option. I'm really happy with everything I see so far.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2007, 07:48 PM   #15
T Bone
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi Coupe

Quote:

Any suggestions??

Being a fellow Toronto guy, I went from a E46 M3 Cab to the M6..... I don't miss the open air motoring at all........

Power good. Road Cologne not as nice.
      03-11-2007, 01:59 PM   #16
goldminer
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 SG E92 M3, 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post

i wish there was some way of getting the carbon fiber top to match the coloring of the rest of the car.
Carbon fiber can be painted. A roof paint job should be very simple and quick.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2007, 07:02 PM   #17
esquire
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Dakar Yellow M3, 2018 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldminer View Post
Carbon fiber can be painted. A roof paint job should be very simple and quick.
i wasn't aware of that. i didn't think carbon fiber could be primed the same way normal metal can. can anyone confirm this?

if what you're saying is true, then it makes me curious why bmw doesn't offer us the option of having them paint the carbon fiber roof to match the body of the car. on the m6, you have no choice what color the CF roof is.

[ESS VT2-625] [Akrapovic Evolution Exhaust] [KW Clubsports] [OSS Angel Eyes] [Revinora r-CRT Lip]
[Vorsteiner Boot] [Challenge Race Diffuser] [See the Build Thread HERE]
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2007, 07:22 PM   #18
Last E92 M3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUBLIM3 View Post
I'll take the cf roof any day over a sunroof.
no doubt! CF roof FTW!
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2007, 09:34 PM   #19
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Paint on CF

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
i wasn't aware of that. i didn't think carbon fiber could be primed the same way normal metal can. can anyone confirm this?
Absolutely no problem to sand, prime and paint CF. It is pretty much like fiberglass with better resin and better fibers (i.e. the carbon, probably plus some Kevlar). You may have to use a special primer but other than that it would be cake.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2007, 11:40 PM   #20
e36jakeo
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 6 Speed MT!

Quote:

CF roof might save 15 lbs over a metal roof without a sunroof, but probably saves 50 pounds over a metal roof WITH a glass sunroof.

50 pounds up high is a lot, and makes a big difference.
      03-17-2007, 09:43 PM   #21
skierman64
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92M3-E46M3-E46Wagon-E89Z4-E36

Garage List
1994 325is Race Car  [0.00]
2011 BMW Z4  [0.00]
1998 M3 Coupe  [0.00]
2008 M3 Coupe  [0.00]
If I was a betting man, I'd guess the coupe will have the CF roof and no sunroof but the sedan will not have a CF roof and be available with a sunroof. Remember, you heard it here first.

I'll take a coupe, but I'll miss having the sunroof. Oh well, I'll live.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2007, 12:41 AM   #22
BMW //MPOWER
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 M340i xdrive

Garage List
Quote:

Any suggestions??
No sunroof, CF only!
If you want to open the roof up you'll need to order the carbio version.
BMW E46 325Ci M Clubsport Carbon Black
BMW E36 318i Alpine White M Sport
Appreciate 0