BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

BPM

11-30-2009, 01:50 PM   #1
CSanto
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BSM/SO M3

Non Bias Negative Reviews to a Few Performance Mods

I'm looking to do a few performance mods and I'm looking for owners to give me their full non-bias opinion on the cons to doing these few modifications.

Fabspeed X-Pipe - Only con I can think of is having to cut the stock pipes, but other than that they seem pretty safe.

Under drive Pully - I see there being a few negatives to this modification like power steering being stiffer. Will the decreased power to my water pump cause my car to heat up slower? (I need my heated seats during the NY winter)

ECU Tune - Will the car run noticeably more rich? Does the increased red line have any altercations?

So far my direction has been conservative with my M3, and I'd like to keep it that way. No CELs, no bringing it to the dealer because "x" part isn't working, no down time, I'd like the car in my garage and on the road for as long as possible during our 3 or 4 year relationship. (11 months so far)

Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2009, 02:04 PM   #2
MMMorish
Just call me J.J. McClure
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 & C4 Corvette

Honestly man, just keep it stock. Do a few visual mods to make it personal and keep the performance up to the BMW engineers.

If anything, do an exhaust and filter and call it a day.
MODS: Meisterschaft GT Racing Exhaust / BMC Air Filter / UUC SSK & DSSR (Modded)/ RPI Scoops / Passport SRX Hardwired / Custom Wrap 3M Clearbra / 20% Tint / 50% Windshield Tint / Key Hole Delete / Matted Out Accessories / VRS Type II Diffuser / Smoked Reflectors / Euphoria 6K LED Interior Lights / Rear Fog Light Mod / 6000K HID's / 6500K LUX H8 Angel Eyes / RDash License Plate LED Kit / LED Xenon Reverse Lights
"M3 drivers have no friends"
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2009, 02:13 PM   #3
J08M3
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 COUPE

My suggestion is just go for a secondary cat delete. It's cheaper than the Fabspeed setup and if you're not going to change the primary cats you might as well save the money and modify your OEM system.

Under drive pulley has no effect on heated seats
      11-30-2009, 02:30 PM   #4
m3p40
Private
Rep
Drives: M3 E92

heated seats in the winter... definitely a must
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2009, 03:45 PM   #5
pepper
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMMorish View Post
Honestly man, just keep it stock. Do a few visual mods to make it personal and keep the performance up to the BMW engineers.

exactly

If you want a fast car, get a Porsche, there built with speed and reliability..
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2009, 04:32 PM   #6
MWorldorder
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:

Completely disagree. The mods he is talking about getting will make him much happier. Our cars have so much more potential than to just leave it stock. IMO of course...
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2009, 04:57 PM   #7
xxe92xx
Banned
Rep
Drives: 08 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///MWorld View Post
Completely disagree. The mods he is talking about getting will make him much happier. Our cars have so much more potential than to just leave it stock. IMO of course...
+1 compared to supercharging, basic mods...exhaust, ecu*, filter are perfectly fine...IMO u shouldnt touch the pullies

*depends on ecu tuner, powerchip is recommended and is proven
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2009, 07:13 PM   #8
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

My idler pulley shredded. NO WAY it would have been covered if I had a pulley on.
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2009, 09:03 PM   #9
H Bomb
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

i feel the same way as you and that is why i went with the Dinan parts. i have had them on my past 2 M's and never had any problems. very reliable stuff and very dealer friendly. i never had any problems with my warranty on any of my M's with the Dinan parts. they may not make the most hp/tq but they make more then stock and in a reliable way

for X pipe etc i went with the Dinan midpipe. it was bolt on and had a matching software so there is no CEL issues etc. i love it. sounds incredible and gave it a awesome power increase. i def feel like it gave everything they claim it does. no cons here on this one for me. some people could say a con would be to loud but if you keep it below 4k then it is no louder then just a muffler. when you go past 4k it really opens up and you here it

for software i also went with the Dinan. i did it by itself first so i could see if it made difference. (i did all my mods one at a time). it runs alot better then stock and smoother and better throttle response. the added rpm's are nice as well. the power increase isn't crazy or anything but i did feel a bump in power. nothing like the midpipe added though. no cons for me on this

pulley i don't have yet but when the dinan one comes out i will be adding that one and can let you know then

good luck on what you decide

H

Quote:
Originally Posted by HREM3 View Post
I'm looking to do a few performance mods and I'm looking for owners to give me their full non-bias opinion on the cons to doing these few modifications.

Fabspeed X-Pipe - Only con I can think of is having to cut the stock pipes, but other than that they seem pretty safe.

Under drive Pully - I see there being a few negatives to this modification like power steering being stiffer. Will the decreased power to my water pump cause my car to heat up slower? (I need my heated seats during the NY winter)

ECU Tune - Will the car run noticeably more rich? Does the increased red line have any altercations?

So far my direction has been conservative with my M3, and I'd like to keep it that way. No CELs, no bringing it to the dealer because "x" part isn't working, no down time, I'd like the car in my garage and on the road for as long as possible during our 3 or 4 year relationship. (11 months so far)

Thank you!

Last edited by H Bomb; 11-30-2009 at 10:08 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2009, 09:05 PM   #10
H Bomb
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

i agree, the midpipe i added really made a difference and the car is way better now and sounds amazing. the car rips loose down low now where it didn't before and pulls way harder then before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///MWorld View Post
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2009, 09:24 PM   #11
Eugene-TAIWAN
Brigadier General
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Coupe

I think its how fast you want your car to be.

I would go GIAC file as I think they are the most stable file tuner( in my mind)
PowerChip is also good. As for the x-pipe I would really go for the encore setup. GIAC doesn't write a cat delete file but Powerchip does so its really up to you on which one you really want especially when it comes to a choice of exhaust matching file tuner. As for the pulley honestly don't think it will cause that much problem mentioned Yes it will effect a little but honestly if it doesn't effect at all that also means the pulley is not working the way it should be. All in all your car can be really fast with simple bolt on mods. Especially when you have a DCT tranny which helps a lot.

If you want your car to be faster then most Porsches just do the below mods.

RE Pulley is good I push my car very hard and no problem what so ever.
GIAC or Powerchip
encore x-pipe or a catless depends of which chip tuner your going for.
rear exhaust won't make a huge difference so keep it stock to save money
drop in high flow filter MS/AFE/BMC/VFE are all good
lastly get the envy charger pipe (that makes a big difference)

just we these mods I think you will easily hit 390rwhp

have fun!!

Past: Gintani stage3 M3, Cayman GTS
present: Porsche 993RWB, 964RS America,996 cupcar, 964 turbo 3.6,Macan Turbo,997GT2,930 turbo,i3, MINI JCW
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2009, 10:14 PM   #12
H Bomb
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

i feel if you get a catless system with matching software the muffler ties it all together. plus you save a good chunk of weight also. just my op though

did you fix your problem with the power loss on the envy?? if so did you re dyno yet?? how did it come out??

thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene-TAIWAN View Post
I think its how fast you want your car to be.

I would go GIAC file as I think they are the most stable file tuner( in my mind)
PowerChip is also good. As for the x-pipe I would really go for the encore setup. GIAC doesn't write a cat delete file but Powerchip does so its really up to you on which one you really want especially when it comes to a choice of exhaust matching file tuner. As for the pulley honestly don't think it will cause that much problem mentioned Yes it will effect a little but honestly if it doesn't effect at all that also means the pulley is not working the way it should be. All in all your car can be really fast with simple bolt on mods. Especially when you have a DCT tranny which helps a lot.

If you want your car to be faster then most Porsches just do the below mods.

RE Pulley is good I push my car very hard and no problem what so ever.
GIAC or Powerchip
encore x-pipe or a catless depends of which chip tuner your going for.
rear exhaust won't make a huge difference so keep it stock to save money
drop in high flow filter MS/AFE/BMC/VFE are all good
lastly get the envy charger pipe (that makes a big difference)

just we these mods I think you will easily hit 390rwhp

have fun!!
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2009, 10:33 PM   #13
Eugene-TAIWAN
Brigadier General
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by H Bomb View Post
i feel if you get a catless system with matching software the muffler ties it all together. plus you save a good chunk of weight also. just my op though

did you fix your problem with the power loss on the envy?? if so did you re dyno yet?? how did it come out??

thanks
yes, I got my problem fixed. The car is running really well now. I was playing around with a O2 sim for my GIAC tune so it screwed up some signals. Now its all good.

sorry not to jack the thread

Past: Gintani stage3 M3, Cayman GTS
present: Porsche 993RWB, 964RS America,996 cupcar, 964 turbo 3.6,Macan Turbo,997GT2,930 turbo,i3, MINI JCW
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2009, 11:41 PM   #14
Jonmartin
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

If you want to get the most power out of your car and still have a reliable every day car. Do the following in this order:

Either buy these from here
http://www.turnermotorsport.com/html..._ID=TEN9046MTP

Or get an exhaust shop to make something similar (for cheaper I'm sure)

Then get a Powerchip flash with the SES(CEL) delete.

These two things will net you the most HP and since you will still have a set of secondary cats you won't get a stinky exhaust smell.

Then you can buy any Cat back / Axle back exhaust you choose.( I like loud and deep so I went with Gintani)

And top it off with a drop in Airfilter I recommend a BMC. ( I have Macht schnell only because the BMC was unavailable )

All the mods are reversible fairly easily.

If you still feel like modding more then you get a Pulley from anyone and some scoops. Do all that and your jaw will drop with difference in feel and you will get awesome gains.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2009, 06:13 AM   #15
MrHarris
yodog
United_States
Rep
Drives: '86 Corolla

Garage List
2009 BMW  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonmartin View Post
If you want to get the most power out of your car and still have a reliable every day car. Do the following in this order:

Either buy these from here
http://www.turnermotorsport.com/html..._ID=TEN9046MTP

Or get an exhaust shop to make something similar (for cheaper I'm sure)

Then get a Powerchip flash with the SES(CEL) delete.

These two things will net you the most HP and since you will still have a set of secondary cats you won't get a stinky exhaust smell.

Then you can buy any Cat back / Axle back exhaust you choose.( I like loud and deep so I went with Gintani)

And top it off with a drop in Airfilter I recommend a BMC. ( I have Macht schnell only because the BMC was unavailable )

All the mods are reversible fairly easily.

If you still feel like modding more then you get a Pulley from anyone and some scoops. Do all that and your jaw will drop with difference in feel and you will get awesome gains.
this

2009 E92 M3 | Alpine White | Black Extended | Advan RS | Turner Test Pipes | Dinan Axle-Back | OETuning | Eibach Springs | UUC SSK | VRS Front Lip | VRS Type I Diffuser | Matte Black | RPi Scoops | MS Filter | Yokohama AD08 | F1 Pinnacle
Special Thanks: Gintani | OETuning | eAs
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2009, 08:55 AM   #16
CSanto
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BSM/SO M3

What happens if the engine really has a problem yet I have CEL delete?
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2009, 09:33 AM   #17
GTM
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

You sound like you should just stick with x-pipe+exhaust system.

ECU, Pulley does have some cons if you are planning to use your car as daily, and wants best reliablity.

ECU and pulley takes maximum of "over-engineered" hardware, which you dont sound like to compromise.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2009, 09:59 AM   #18
Kyoshi71
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 M3 Coupe

Quote:

Great advice +++1
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2009, 02:24 PM   #19
H Bomb
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

that is why i went with the Dinan one bc it is not a CEL delete, it is an actual software for the midpipe so if there is ever a problem you will know

Quote:
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2009, 02:40 PM   #20
Jonmartin
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Well if you delete the cats the light will be on all the time so you won't know either way.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2009, 02:58 PM   #21
JMD0977
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2010 GT3 and ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonmartin View Post
Well if you delete the cats the light will be on all the time so you won't know either way.
Yes you will. You just need to check the i-Drive in the info section. It tells you what or why the Engine light is on. When caused by cat delete, it states "Increased Emmissions" hence "Cel".
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2009, 03:28 PM   #22
Jonmartin
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMD0977 View Post
Yes you will. You just need to check the i-Drive in the info section. It tells you what or why the Engine light is on. When caused by cat delete, it states "Increased Emmissions" hence "Cel".
True if you have CEL but if you don't turn the sensor off for the cat then the light will be on all the time so you will have to check on your own randomly if you have a different issue since the light will just stay on.

In all reality what could go wrong without you knowing something is going without a light anyway? In the past by the time the light came on I felt/heard the problem already. And other times it might have been an untightened gas cap or something silly.
Appreciate 0