BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

BPM

02-14-2013, 11:00 PM   #23
thorny
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GIdriver View Post
Nice runs!! I have two questions:
1. The 4.5sec to 60 was using the "one foot rollout" feature?
2. (This one's open to the community) Do 1/4mile drag strips use/don't use the "one foot rollout" while measuring 60', ET, etc?

This is SOlO data logger I use on track to measure my lap time. It has "Performance" mode when you can set it up to measure 0-60, 1/4 mile. etc etc.
I believe it starts recording as soon as it detects motion.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2013, 11:15 PM   #24
thorny
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1SICKM View Post
Nice runs! 60 ft timing is off and your 1/4 time might be off to. If you want to be competitive you need 3 things...drag radials, linelock and launch control. Stay focused, work on your 60ft, race the clock not the other car and most importantly show up with a properly setup car and tire psi! Go for it !!!
Thanks for the advice. I did a lot of research prior to going and read a lot of your posts. I know you speak with authority on the subject.

The deal is I largely prefer track, I even have track spec alignment with large negative camber. Having two setups (track and strip) are not my goal.

At the same time I find it fun and think about going back, but I am aware I will never be in a 10 second realm.

I agree with staying focused, and I can't care less about the guy next to me. I hope their timing system will work better next time.

What tire pressure do you recommend with street tires like I have, I run 36 street, 36-38 track (hot)? I know they are not ideal for the strip.

Do you offer any advice about LC. I know how to activate it. I drop shifter and my tires spin like crazy, I have no traction whatsoever, then the car upshifts into second gear and redlines without shifting into 3rd. I don;t know maybe I let the gas off a little because of all the drama, but man, unless I get drag radials and get immensly more grip - I will dig a hole at the start line faster than I get to the 60' mark..
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2013, 11:22 PM   #25
thorny
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdoughty View Post
I hate to say it and I'd love to be a believer but.... Those slips don't correlate.
The thing is my car is so fast, that only Einstein Special Relativity theory can explain my slips
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2013, 06:24 AM   #26
JDM3
Major
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3 E92

Tire psi needs to be between 25-30psi for streets. Just buy a set of DR's (mine are for sale). PSI for drags start around 25 but i usually run high teens. Your not supercharged so your psi wont be as low as mine. You really can't use launch control unless your on drags and the difference is huge ! Track prep and DA has a lot to do with it.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2013, 06:49 AM   #27
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by thorny View Post
I agree, the breakdown seems to be off on the last run. I do believe in my 11.90 time nonetheless. I knew right away it was my best run long before receiving my slip, I had no tire spin and it felt awesome. I didn't have my left foot on the brake, so who knows maybe I rolled a few inches. My best run is at the very end of the video, filmed from the grand stand.

I think there could be discrepancy between the way track measures things and my own GPS logger. Here are logger shots (in order) from run 1 (4.74) and run 2 (5.52) for comparison. And my best 4 second 0-60 from "the street"

My plan is to go again in the near future and get more than 3 runs in a day and see what I can do trying different things. One thing I promise - my slips or data loggers are not photoshoped Just shearing with the community.
What I mean by a roll is starting behind the starting line. When the christmas tree turns green, you have already travelled some distance and gained some speed before tripping the start timing lights. So you enter the 1/4 mile with x mph instead of zero mph. You then carry some of that extra speed across the 1/4 mile. It does not take much roll to make a significant difference.

Further, even your best 0-60 on the street does correlate to you 11.9 run. 0.8 seconds to travel 142 feet is 120mph (should be in the 60-70mph range).

Last edited by CanAutM3; 02-15-2013 at 08:53 AM..
Appreciate 0