BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

01-10-2009, 11:21 PM   #1
haig
Private
Rep
Drives: M3

Ipod and USB

First off, after reading for a while, looks like my dealer scummed me and only gave me a male USB to female USB cable, on top of me paying $400 for the IPOD and USB Adapter. Do i have a shot at going back to my dealer tomm and asking for it even if its been 2 months? Also, till this day ive been using the female to male cable for my ipod, and all of a sudden it just stops working today. I didnt change a thing. IT still charges my ipod, but i cant choose the USB option on my idrive.. happened to anyone else before?
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2009, 10:19 AM   #2
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by haig View Post
First off, after reading for a while, looks like my dealer scummed me and only gave me a male USB to female USB cable, on top of me paying $400 for the IPOD and USB Adapter. Do i have a shot at going back to my dealer tomm and asking for it even if its been 2 months? Also, till this day ive been using the female to male cable for my ipod, and all of a sudden it just stops working today. I didnt change a thing. IT still charges my ipod, but i cant choose the USB option on my idrive.. happened to anyone else before?
Of course you can get the correct iPod cable, you paid for it and never received it. Just ask for it to your sales or service advisor.

For some "reason" dealers still "forget" about this cable at delivery even after more than a year of being available as an option.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2009, 11:12 AM   #3
jml
Major
Rep
Drives: X5M, GT3RS, GT4

The ipod interface, at least on my 09 with idrive & ipod, came with two cables. One Ipod interface cable, and an USB extension cable so that you can use longer usb sticks that prevent the center console from closing. Sounds like they forgot to give you yours, or someone took it out of the car (if it was on the lot).
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2009, 07:15 PM   #4
haig
Private
Rep
Drives: M3

thanks you guys, appreciate it
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2009, 06:49 PM   #5
AWM3
BMW Fan
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3, Alpine White

Since the original question was answered, I'd like to ask some other questions. Yes I did a search but I didn't really understand the explanations that were given. I would be grateful if someone could make it more understandable to me.

First question - My iPod charges and allows me to control the playback through the iDrive when it's plugged into the USB port (inside the armrest), but there's no sound unless it is also plugged into the AuX In jack using the special cable that I got with the car, that has an iPod connector at one end and splits into two wires (USB and phone jack) at the other end. Why doesn't it take the audio signal from the USB port, the way the computer does? The computer doesn't require two connections, just one.

Second question - what does the iPod do when you shut the car off? Does it turn off also, or does it just keep running? I'd like to leave it in the car all the time but I don't want it to be running all the time. Does the car know to turn it off? Thanks for any simple clear explanation that might be out there.

I had a 335 coupe with the Logic 7 sound system and I thought it was OK. The M3 that I replaced it with has the "Enhanced Premium Sound" which is clearly much better. I don't know if it's $1900 better, but it is clearly better and it did not require any special effort to get, just more money.
Appreciate 0