BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

BPM

07-07-2014, 10:24 AM   #23
Rupes
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 (current), E90 330xi (w

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRV99 View Post

Second, did you buy the gaurentee from Carfax or Autocheck. If you bought it from carfax and there is no record in carfax but it is reported in Autocheck, you have a chance.
I didn't buy anything from Carfax, but I did register for the buyback guarantee. At that time (5 months after the accident) it didn't show up on the report. Now it does show up (nearly a year later). However, upon closer examination, it looks like they'll only reimburse you in the event of major damage not being reported - salvage title, flood, fire, etc. Not something cosmetic like this.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2014, 02:03 PM   #24
DTaylorE90M3
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3

Dude youre a nut. I understand your mad the car was in an accident, but if it was fixed the right way it shouldne be a problem. Sounds like youre the only one who will notice it.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2014, 02:13 PM   #25
m3ray
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '09 e92 M3

I don't know why everyone is jumping on this guy. I am the same way. I know the car isn't going to fall apart with some bondo, but still. I like knowing that my car is a virgin honey pot that's never been "popped"

It's like butterfly wings, once touched they never fly. I do think he is SOL as far as a refund or any kind of monetary concession back.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2014, 02:21 PM   #26
r1762
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 M3

Sorry to hear about you car. Congrats on the new car.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2014, 03:08 PM   #27
Rupes
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by r1762 View Post
Sorry to hear about you car. Congrats on the new car.
I didn't trade it in, couldn't bring myself to do it. The M235i is just in no way as fun as this car - damage or otherwise. I think most of the comments here are pretty accurate, I just need to get over it.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2014, 03:13 PM   #28
m3ray
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupes View Post
I didn't trade it in, couldn't bring myself to do it. The M235i is just in no way as fun as this car - damage or otherwise. I think most of the comments here are pretty accurate, I just need to get over it.
So you concede you’re a nut and on anxiety medication?

Why don’t you be honest with yourself, because you know you’re not over it and probably never will be.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2014, 03:18 PM   #29
Rupes
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3ray View Post
So you concede you’re a nut and on anxiety medication?

Why don’t you be honest with yourself, because you know you’re not over it and probably never will be.
No need for the snarky comments. I guess if you paid a premium for your car only to later find out your car had damage along the entire right side from the door to the rear quarter panel you'd be just fine with it?

I tend to like my cars in very good condition, apparently that makes me a nut.

Lastly, you're probably right, I won't get over it, but I can't seem to find anything I like more right now. I'll hang onto it until the M2 or something else that I prefer comes along.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2014, 03:20 PM   #30
m3ray
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
No need for the snarky comments. I guess if you paid a premium for your car only to later find out your car had damage along the entire right side from the door to the rear quarter panel you'd be just fine with it?

Lastly, you're probably right, I won't get over it, but I can't seem to find anything I like more right now, so i'll hang onto it until the M2 or something else that I prefer comes along.
Snarky comments????? wt...? I was the only one defending and agreeing with your viewpoint, while others were making fun of you. Maybe you are nuts
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2014, 03:24 PM   #31
Rupes
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3ray View Post
Snarky comments????? wt...? I was the only one defending and agreeing with your viewpoint, while others were making fun of you. Maybe you are nuts
Meh, whatever. It's the internet, things get misinterpreted. I get what you were saying now that I re-read it.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2014, 03:33 PM   #32
redpriest
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3/Porsche 992 GT3RS

Garage List
If you want a virgin car, you're just going to have to buy new. That's the only way you can be sure.

It sounds like whatever damage that was had was cosmetic in nature. If you tearing out everything and not being able to locate it is any indication, it sounds like they did a fantastic job.

Yes, I know it sucks having an accident on the car but it should in no way rob you of your enjoyment. Taking a $10,000 hit on the car because of it is straight up insane, especially when you bought it used in the first place.

What happens if someone keys your car? The only way to fix that 100% is to sand and respray, and maybe even Bondo. What happens if someone backs up into you? Are you going to sell that car immediately because you had to make repairs on it?

Life is too short to worry about this trivial stuff. Go out and enjoy the car.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2014, 03:49 PM   #33
modkrazy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by PicassoM View Post
My buddy was on the highway in his M3 and hit a big tire piece from a semi. Smashed his front bumper and did some other damage. Had to get a new bumper, few other parts, etc and went through insurance. All fixed now with a eurobumper. So ask yourself would you care about that accident, no frame damage, replaced parts and looks good as new. Personally that wouldn't bother me and I don't think that is worthy of showing up on a carfax
Hah, that's how I ended up with a Euro bumper too!
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2014, 04:56 PM   #34
TheHeath
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 Coupe RS46

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpriest View Post
If you want a virgin car, you're just going to have to buy new. That's the only way you can be sure.

It sounds like whatever damage that was had was cosmetic in nature. If you tearing out everything and not being able to locate it is any indication, it sounds like they did a fantastic job.

Yes, I know it sucks having an accident on the car but it should in no way rob you of your enjoyment. Taking a $10,000 hit on the car because of it is straight up insane, especially when you bought it used in the first place.

What happens if someone keys your car? The only way to fix that 100% is to sand and respray, and maybe even Bondo. What happens if someone backs up into you? Are you going to sell that car immediately because you had to make repairs on it?

This was said perfectly! Go enjoy it!

Heck, I bought mine WITH a bit of visible bumper damage, lol. The car was just so awesome I could care less. I am going to get it fixed now, but that's just cosmetic stuff. What matters is the guts, "it's whats on the inside that counts" true for humans and performance cars
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2014, 06:15 PM   #35
IbanezGod
997TT, X5M
Rep
Drives: 997TT, X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpriest View Post

All of this.

OP you're almost there! You're in the 4th stage of grief!

1. Denial and Isolation - checking carfax and researching
2. Anger - being pissed and wanting to sell your car
3. Bargaining - looking at the 2 series trying to swap it for something else
4. Depression - Just upset, saying you won't get over it, but can't seem to find anything I like more right now.
5 - ACCEPTANCE - Realizing that you're being a bit over the top and it will hit you your car is used, but completely fixed and looks good as is and will learn to enjoy it.

OP - enjoy the car, ask yourself does it look good now? Does it drive great? Do you love the car aside from knowing it had a booboo?

Trust me i'm as anal as can be with cars and my last car got scratched and I was so pissed. I manned up and got it fixed and looked like new. Wasn't as bad as I thought. Did I know it happened, yes, but I got over it. Also realize that won't be the last booboo for the car, it will get injured as you drive it. So be prepared.

You need to man up and get over this, go drive your car, stop complaining and accept it.
      07-07-2014, 06:30 PM   #36
Ludey
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 Turbo S

hehe - I like this thread. It's always been a fear of mine when buying a used M3 that I would later find out it was in an accident.

But, like others have said, you have to keep it all in perspective. It was minor damage, I think that has already been established? That's what is important... if it was in a major thing that required engine or frame work, this would be a different story. So therefore, only cosmetic in nature, correct? Well, you didn't buy this car just to look good, correct? (Ok, maybe you did but still). If you can't even notice it, and it was so minor that it didn't effect anything major, you're best bet is to forget about it.

Eventually, it'll pass and you'll have to be reminded that it was even repainted at some point. My previous M got a scratch on the rear bumper cover that I had fixed. After about a month, I didn't even remember that it had happened. One day, when looking at the bumper, I asked myself "where's that scratch that used to be here? .... Ooohhh yeah, I had it repainted."

I understand you're neurotic about stuff like this, I'm the same way, but seriously: perspective.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2014, 07:07 PM   #37
IbanezGod
997TT, X5M
Rep
Drives: 997TT, X5M

OP would you be pissed if you found out the bumper was repainted? Do you know how many front and rear bumpers get beat up and repainted? It's pretty normal... granted you this wasn't the bumper but same concept
      07-07-2014, 07:40 PM   #38
kenwelch
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 M-DCT & 2017 440GC

I would also agree that plastic filler is a normal modern method of body repair. This will help you with understanding how the "paint thickness gauge" works. You might be able to get a quality collision repair tech to test your vehicle in the suspected area of damage.

http://www.defelsko.com/applications...aint-meter.htm

If you cannot easily tell that there was a repair done, I would just enjoy the M3. For the amount of loss to sell or trade just have the damage repaired correctly which sounds less than $10,000.

I would also not like to have a repaired car and luckily I have made it 6 years with no major body damage, but tomorrow always brings new surprises.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2014, 11:36 PM   #39
ihtfp06
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 Convertible

When I bought my previous car, a G37x, it was actually in the shop getting fixed. Some drunk had ran into in front of the dealership the night before I went to check it out. So I had the salesman drive me to the repair shop, and then negotiated a huge discount and a written provision that the car would be repaired to my satisfaction before delivery.

Whenever you buy a used car, you can fully expect that it has a history, carfax or not.
2011 BMW 135i Convertible DCT (Wife's)
2008 BMW M3 Convertible 6MT
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2014, 11:45 PM   #40
fastmike
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E93 M3

OP, have you ever been in an accident?

I used to be paranoid about accidents when I was living in the Midwest, until I moved out to LA. Since living here I've been rear ended twice.

I've come to realize that accidents are inevitable. Most everyone I know has been in some accident or another. Luckily, mine has been low speed impacts, but still required a new/repaired rear bumper, which includes Bondo and new paint.

I say just live with it. Enjoy the car, you'll get over it. You'll lose too much money if you trade it in.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2014, 12:02 AM   #41
Edjay
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 E90 AW, 76 2002

Quote:
I never would have noticed if I didn't get my car appraised at Carmax.
Theres the problem right there. Why would you have your car appraised by Carmax? If you had just bought it and your not planning on selling the car.

Imo, you should do all this investigation before you buy the car. Once you buy it, take it home love it drive it abuse it. No second guessing no second thoughts. Never get it appraised by a used car lot unless your ready to sell it. Thats just asking for trouble (which you found) and a waste of time if you ask me.
I think you will forever loose sleep over this. If you ask me, take the hit sell the car now and get over it.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2014, 06:07 AM   #42
M3 n X5M
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5 M, 2008 e90 M3 6 MT.

OP, I am no my 5th used car. And 3 have been M cars - an e90 m3, an e92 m3 and an x5M.

There is no way to know if the car was abused: on the track, body damage, or even water damage. All these can be covered up.

The fact is, a used car saves you 20 to 50% off the MSRP if it is less than 5 years old.

So, you are spending less of your income. Hence, a loss is ok, given you are saving lots of cash.

My latest car is a 2008 M3... E90 with 6 MT. I am the 4th owner. Guess what? The car had cosmetic touch up here and there, and still looks fantastic. Heads turn at the car. I have put on 8k miles and I enjoy it so much going to work in the morning.

Cars are very tough and yours is no exception.

Just drive it and enjoy it. The car will serve you well as long as you maintain it and care for it.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2014, 08:12 AM   #43
Rupes
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PicassoM View Post
All of this.

OP you're almost there! You're in the 4th stage of grief!

1. Denial and Isolation - checking carfax and researching
2. Anger - being pissed and wanting to sell your car
3. Bargaining - looking at the 2 series trying to swap it for something else
4. Depression - Just upset, saying you won't get over it, but can't seem to find anything I like more right now.
5 - ACCEPTANCE - Realizing that you're being a bit over the top and it will hit you your car is used, but completely fixed and looks good as is and will learn to enjoy it.
Haha, this is too true...
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2014, 09:31 AM   #44
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:

Lastly, you're probably right, I won't get over it, but I can't seem to find anything I like more right now. I'll hang onto it until the M2 or something else that I prefer comes along.
Thought you hated turbos...
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 0