BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

European Auto Source (EAS)

11-07-2012, 08:23 PM   #1
Invadermoose
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: camaro

Who has cutouts?

Might buy myself a Christmas present this year

I dont want exhaust on my car unless its valvetronic, because sometimes I want it to be silent, but I also dont want to spend 6,000 on pipes. Cutouts seem great for me. Loud when you want, quiet when you want, what's not to love?

I'm wondering if any of you guys have electronic cutouts and how you like them? Do they actually make the car sound nicer, or do they just make it more obnoxious? I dont want to be loud for the sake of being loud, I want my car to actually sound good too. I have an E93 so I'm pretty excited to put exhaust on the car. What do you guys think of these for an M3?
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2012, 08:35 PM   #2
e92involved
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW e92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invadermoose View Post
Might buy myself a Christmas present this year

I dont want exhaust on my car unless its valvetronic, because sometimes I want it to be silent, but I also dont want to spend 6,000 on pipes. Cutouts seem great for me. Loud when you want, quiet when you want, what's not to love?

I'm wondering if any of you guys have electronic cutouts and how you like them? Do they actually make the car sound nicer, or do they just make it more obnoxious? I dont want to be loud for the sake of being loud, I want my car to actually sound good too. I have an E93 so I'm pretty excited to put exhaust on the car. What do you guys think of these for an M3?
Just buy an Akra slip-on when you are ready. More power, not too loud and very nice sound with the top down. I have had this system and it is wonderful. I have now switched to a valuetronic step up and yes it is expensive. Not sure about cut-outs on this car, but it sounded good on my Camero when I was 16!
      11-07-2012, 11:44 PM   #3
ec_E92
Enginerd
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92M3,E36M3,957GTS,E39M5S2

Quote:
Originally Posted by e92involved View Post
Just buy an Akra slip-on when you are ready. More power, not too loud and very nice sound with the top down. I have had this system and it is wonderful. I have now switched to a valuetronic step up and yes it is expensive. Not sure about cut-outs on this car, but it sounded good on my Camero when I was 16!
News flash, valvetronic has cutouts that open/close. So how do you like your valvetronic? What brand do you have or did you have a custom setup made?

OP, I have briefly ran with no catback and the S65 sounds exotically amazing above 4k, however, there is drone below that. And you're letting the exhaust gas heat build up in a pocket right below the center of the car - which is why it was a brief "experiment". The sound was addictive though, I'm contemplating the same thing.
      11-08-2012, 09:49 AM   #4
Beemw335
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335i

Theres a few videos of M3's on youtube with cutouts.
From the videos they seem to sound great.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2012, 10:09 AM   #5
Invadermoose
Private First Class
Rep

I just dont care much for exhaust videos. All my cars sound VASTLY different in person than they do on youtube. It depends a lot on what they record it with, what quality they save the file as, what quality youtube displays it as, and your own speakers. It can really distort the actual exhaust sound.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2012, 10:21 AM   #6
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3

Garage List
Cutouts will just be super loud. So if that's what you're looking for, then go for it.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2012, 10:23 AM   #7
Invadermoose
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE TECH View Post
Cutouts will just be super loud. So if that's what you're looking for, then go for it.
Well you can also open them 1/2 or 1/3 of the way so it's quieter but still sounds different. I dont want my car to be loud for the sake of being loud, I also want it to sound good. Semi trucks are loud, but they sure dont sound good.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2012, 10:25 AM   #8
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Invadermoose View Post
Well you can also open them 1/2 or 1/3 of the way so it's quieter but still sounds different. I dont want my car to be loud for the sake of being loud, I also want it to sound good. Semi trucks are loud, but they sure dont sound good.
The sound is the same though. The tones don't change, just the volume.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2012, 10:38 AM   #9
m3an
Banned
Rep
Drives: M3

LOL at the guys sating buy an Akra.. Guy comes here asking about cutouts and the sheep say buy an uber expensive exhaust that doesn't even sound great.

Anyways, OP the cutouts will essentially sound like the ACM exhaust mod (for reference so you can get an idea on the sound). that being said, you'll need the 2 electric cutouts and I would advise a shop weld some turn downs on them as they will most def exit under the car and you don't want the exhaust fumes sitting there or permeating the cabin. Now a good set of cutouts and the labor to install is gonna be several hundred dollars. If you want to maintain OEM sound w/ option of it being loud at the flick of a switch, that's a good route. But for proably the same money you can pick up a Megan or Ebay muffler that sounds pretty decent and is not overbearing. Most are copies of the Agency Power design.

Good Luck!
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2012, 10:46 AM   #10
benzy89
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E90 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [7.50]
Here's two videos of LostMarine's car (he's over on BB though so you won't be able to contact him on this forum).

1st video gives you some comparison of fully closed to fully open

2nd video gives you a much better audio clip of fully open at WOT
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2012, 03:31 PM   #11
e92involved
Captain
United_States
Rep

When I think of cutouts I think of something different than a valuetronic exhaust. When I used to run "cutouts" it was a pipe that came off the piping connected after the header before the cats. That's where the caps could be taken on and off. These valuetronic exhaust systems have the values after the cats before the mufflers. Do you follow me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ec_E92 View Post
News flash, valvetronic has cutouts that open/close. So how do you like your valvetronic? What brand do you have or did you have a custom setup made?

OP, I have briefly ran with no catback and the S65 sounds exotically amazing above 4k, however, there is drone below that. And you're letting the exhaust gas heat build up in a pocket right below the center of the car - which is why it was a brief "experiment". The sound was addictive though, I'm contemplating the same thing.
      11-08-2012, 10:30 PM   #12
benzy89
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E90 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [7.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ec_E92 View Post
News flash, valvetronic has cutouts that open/close.
The valve'd exhausts are cutout exhausts. The valve'd systems (Evolve, Gintani, IPE, etc) all have a stock like "civil" setting & then the straight pipe setting. All of these systems still maintain the mufflers & have some backpressure (maintain TQ).

A cutout system basically eliminates the muffler section (assuming you install them post X-pipe). This will be loud as shit because you're eliminating the only remaining resonator (mufflers) with cutouts & you might also lose a small amount of TQ because of the decrease in backpressure

A cutout exhaust also costs ~1/10th of a valvetronic system

Last edited by benzy89; 11-09-2012 at 11:29 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2012, 06:20 AM   #13
Dellort_M3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Quote:
Quote:
When I think of cutouts I think of something different than a valuetronic exhaust. When I used to run "cutouts" it was a pipe that came off the piping connected after the header before the cats. That's where the caps could be taken on and off. These valuetronic exhaust systems have the values after the cats before the mufflers. Do you follow me?
Valvetronic*
Valves*
2011 Alpine White/Fox Red 6MT E92 M3 | Active Stage 2 w/Meth | KW Clubsport | OSS | Challenge Front Lip | Vorsteiner Type 2 Rear Diffuser and Bootlid | Brembo | Recaro | Akrapovic Slip-On | Challenge Race+ X-Pipe | Vossen CV3 | OEM 359M | TE37SL
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2012, 02:40 PM   #14
e92involved
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dellort_M3 View Post
Valvetronic*
Valves*
Are you serious?
      11-23-2012, 11:37 AM   #15
Invadermoose
Private First Class
Rep

Another thing.. Will these void my warranty?
Appreciate 0