BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Professional Motorsport Racing Discussion (IMSA, DTM, Formula 1, Grand-AM, Le Mans, IRL, WRC, etc..)

Mporium BMW

09-16-2010, 12:06 PM   #1
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: MP4

Toro Rosso

So the title of this might be slightly misleading to what prompted it.

Jacques Villeneuve and Durango are decidedly looking to buy out an existing F1 team. On their sights and most likely going to be either HRT or Virgin. However, I read some mention of Toro Rosso.

I would prefer they bought out Toro Rosso as I really can't see it ever being more than a feeder to RBR. Also, I think the loss of STR and the salvation of Virgin and HRT would be a lot more interesting for the sport and to race weekends. While I'm not a big fan of any of the 3 outfits, Toro Rosso never seems to do anything or ever be on a headline. I almost just assume they are purely a filler team.
      09-17-2010, 01:59 PM   #2
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep

Wow, there is really no interest in Toro Rosso.

Just like I thought. Too bad it seems they have set their eyes on HRT for he moment.
      09-18-2010, 09:26 PM   #3
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep

Someone HAS to share my sentiments towards Toro Rosso?

Maybe poeple just forgot it was an actual F1 team? lol
      09-18-2010, 09:48 PM   #4
JAJ
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 Shelby GT500

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateBMW View Post
Someone HAS to share my sentiments towards Toro Rosso?

Maybe poeple just forgot it was an actual F1 team? lol
When STR was Minardi, they soldiered on for decades with great engines (they had a killer deal with Ferrari), mediocre cars and a lineup of developmental drivers. They always finished at the back of the pack (did they ever win a race?) but they always turned up, too.

Things haven't changed.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2010, 01:30 AM   #5
FStop7
I like cars
Vatican City State
Rep
Drives: M6

i like the team's name

thwt's pretty much all i like about them. they really fucked over scott speed. and gerhard "turd" berger is a douchebag.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2010, 02:02 PM   #6
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: A BBS WHORE

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAJ View Post
When STR was Minardi, they soldiered on for decades with great engines (they had a killer deal with Ferrari), mediocre cars and a lineup of developmental drivers. They always finished at the back of the pack (did they ever win a race?) but they always turned up, too.

Things haven't changed.
They only won one race in 2008 in Monza where Sebastian Vettel drove brilliantly in the rain in his first full F1 season. Scored pole position too.

I thought i've heard years ago that there's no point for Red Bull to keep funding two teams in F1. Just current RBR gives enough media exposure and excellent result with a very competitive team since 2009.
      09-19-2010, 03:54 PM   #7
MontegoblueE92
Captain
Rep
Drives: It Like He Stole It

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90SLAM View Post
They only won one race in 2008 in Monza where Sebastian Vettel drove brilliantly in the rain in his first full F1 season. Scored pole position too.

I thought i've heard years ago that there's no point for Red Bull to keep funding two teams in F1. Just current RBR gives enough media exposure and excellent result with a very competitive team since 2009.
He was asking about the Minardi team, which never won a race. They actually only scored 38 points in 21 seasons.

As for the OP, I think this season Toro Rosso actually makes more sense than in years passed. Now they actually design their own chassis instead of just repainting the ones Newey makes.

But I think the real reason behind Red Bull owning two teams is that they signed a deal with Ferrari as an engine supplier. IIRC they were unhappy with the performance but couldn't terminate the contract. So the owner bought a second team to use those engines with and created Red Bull to use Renault power.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2010, 11:55 PM   #8
ianbiz
Back in a BMW
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i Msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontegoblueE92 View Post
But I think the real reason behind Red Bull owning two teams is that they signed a deal with Ferrari as an engine supplier. IIRC they were unhappy with the performance but couldn't terminate the contract. So the owner bought a second team to use those engines with and created Red Bull to use Renault power.
Ironicly christian horner isnt happy w/ the power of the renault motor